mtbr member
    May 2006

Marin Headland Extended trail- What is your usual route?

What is the best route for Marin headland? I did it twice before going down Coastal trail, cross the road, up Miwok-->Old Spring-->Marincllo-->Bobcat-->back up Coastal.

Anyone ever try the extended loop trails on Tennesee valley? i.e. Coastal trail, coyote Ridge, Middle Green Gulch-->Miwok and back down to Marincello? Are they worth the time? Or is it just additional fireroad up and down? I am a climber, but seeing that now I only have a heavier FR bike, I dont know if heading to this side of Marin Headland is worthwhile.

How do you SF local usually do that loop?

aka baycat
    Done this loop, usually kills me off.

GG Bridge - Colzeman - Down into Headlands - Bobcat - Old Springs - Coastal - Stop at Pelican Inn Pub and turn around.

If you want more, you can climb Deer Park FR - Bomb Down Mt. Tam and take the road bike path through Sausalito. Or skip Deer Park and from Coastal hit two singletracks down into mill valley Pipeline/Evergreen and Tenderfoot and then road burn back.

just another bleepin SSer
    My basic loop is (which I did this afternoon):

GG Bridge - Colzeman Rd. - Coastal Trail down into Headlands - cross Bunker Road - up Bobcat trail - down Marincello Trail - pass the stable and up Old Springs - down Miwok - back across road and up Coastal and out.

I have added a stretch from time to time going north of Tennessee Valley by using Miwok - Coyote Ridge - Coastal Fire Road - Coastal Trail - Tennessee Valley Trail. Going counter-clockwise (as listed here) is pretty much all rideable. But doing it clockwise means walking parts of Coastal, but getting to ride down Miwok, which is enjoyable.
    --
    Getting old, fat, and slow...
    Business: www.calkayakermag.com
    Personal: www.singlespeed.org
    自転車が好きだよ

Wildcard Pilot
    This was my standard when I lived in Sausalito
    - Park behind Mikes Bikes of Sausalito in the dirt
    - head to Mill Valley. use Miller ave through town and hook up with Summit and get on Railroad Grade
    - Chug up to the West Point Inn
    - head through Pantoll and take either Deer Park or Coastal into Muir Beach
    - Pelican Inn for refreshments
    - Middle Green Gulch up and out of Muir Beach
    - Coastal to Tenessee Valley
    - Ride out Tenessee Valley back to the car

I could do it in about 4-5 hours on a 40 lbs freeride bike

GASing
    Quote Originally Posted by Loll
    What is the best route for Marin headland? I did it twice before going down Coastal trail, cross the road, up Miwok-->Old Spring-->Marincllo-->Bobcat-->back up Coastal.

Anyone ever try the extended loop trails on Tennessee valley? i.e. Coastal trail, coyote Ridge, Middle Green Gulch-->Miwok and back down to Marincello? Are they worth the time? Or is it just additional fireroad up and down? I am a climber, but seeing that now I only have a heavier FR bike, I dont know if heading to this side of Marin Headland is worthwhile.

How do you SF local usually do that loop?
    The Marin Headlands loop used to be my after work ride. The trails on the North side of Tennessee Valley are nice.

A nice loop from Tennessee Valley (I don't know all the trail names): take Coyote Ridge up- a steep singletrack with some stairs. When you get to the top of the hill, veer right onto the double-track (your only legal choice) - follow it down through the uctypyptus grove, and back up and along the ridge. Bear right at the first fork and follow the fireroad until you get the a paved road, cross the road and take the singletrack up to Diaz Ridge. Follow this gnarly trail down to Muir Beach, and then take the Middle Green Gulch (a nice singletrack climb) up, make a left at the top, and take the fireroad back to Coyote.

There is lots of climbing on this ride, and some fun descents. Diaz ridge will put your freeride bike to work

mtbr member

all good

i think that the steep trail w/stairs up this other side of Tennessee Valley is Miwok again, but i'm not sure. in any event it's easy to find, and fully rideable if you're up for the grind.

i'll second the recommendation for Diaz Ridge. we recently bombed it as part of a big ride on our 'cross bikes, for some extra fun. it drops you conveniently right at the Pelican for some obligatory pints before climbing back out.

Quote Originally Posted by funkle
    The Marin Headlands loop used to be my after work ride. The trails on the North side of Tennessee Valley are nice.

A nice loop from Tennessee Valley (I don't know all the trail names): take Coyote Ridge up- a steep singletrack with some stairs. When you get to the top of the hill, veer right onto the double-track (your only legal choice) - follow it down through the uctypyptus grove, and back up and along the ridge. Bear right at the first fork and follow the fireroad until you get the a paved road, cross the road and take the singletrack up to Diaz Ridge. Follow this gnarly trail down to Muir Beach, and then take the Middle Green Gulch (a nice singletrack climb) up, make a left at the top, and take the fireroad back to Coyote.

There is lots of climbing on this ride, and some fun descents. Diaz ridge will put your freeride bike to work
    eddie would go.

(slight return)

Diaz Ridge??

Bear right at the first fork and follow the fireroad until you get the a paved road, cross the road and take the singletrack up to Diaz Ridge. Follow this gnarly trail down to Muir Beach, and then take the Middle Green Gulch (a nice singletrack climb) up, make a left at the top, and take the fireroad back to Coyote.

Hey, what's the story with Diaz Ridge now? I last rode it in August, 2005. My wife was 4 days overdue with our girl and there was so much poison oak I was psychologically scarred for weeks afterwards. Had visions of being covered with PO in the hospital with my wife in labor (escaped with just a bit on my shins I think.) I seem to remember the trail sort of vanishing at points. Also the turn off to Muir Beach was guarded by two HUGE poison oak plants. Looked like a road went straight, so I went straight but it petered out and I ended up bushwhacking down a rocky slope to the Redwood Creek trail (think that's what it was...) It was not the most fun ride I ever had.

I remember hearing this trail was going to get a lot of work and be turned into another section of single track for the Bay Area Ridge Trail. Has that been started?

-slide

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by baycat
    Done this loop, usually kills me off.

GG Bridge - Colzeman - Down into Headlands - Bobcat - Old Springs - Coastal - Stop at Pelican Inn Pub and turn around.

If you want more, you can climb Deer Park FR - Bomb Down Mt. Tam and take the road bike path through Sausalito. Or skip Deer Park and from Coastal hit two singletracks down into mill valley Pipeline/Evergreen and Tenderfoot and then road burn back.
    "bomb down Mt. Tam"

Where is this? Is this the legendary Repack? If so, which trail will take you there? I am looking at this Marin headlands map I found online.

aka baycat
    Sorry should have been more specific, from Tennessee Valley. A good route to reach Mt. Tam is to take the Coastal Fire Road out to the highway and from there you ride a little road and some singletrack to Mountain Home Inn.

A) can go up Rail Road Grade to the East Peak of Mt. Tam and "Bomb Down Mt. Tam" on Eldridge Grade, a rocky, fun, fast FR to Ross. Of course obeying speed limits and lovely Marin hikers!

Skip Deer Park FR, that is a brute of a climb.

B) take a fun little singletrack called Tenderfoot into Mill valley and road burn it back

Legendary Repack trail is off Pine Mountain, my head is not working on constructing a loop to it from the Headlands, but you can do it. Better loop is Tamarancho + ahems + bit o Pine Mountain
    Last edited by Ryan G.; 01-19-2007 at 04:07 PM.

GASing
    Quote Originally Posted by slide mon
    Hey, what's the story with Diaz Ridge now? I last rode it in August, 2005. My wife was 4 days overdue with our girl and there was so much poison oak I was psychologically scarred for weeks afterwards. Had visions of being covered with PO in the hospital with my wife in labor (escaped with just a bit on my shins I think.) I seem to remember the trail sort of vanishing at points. Also the turn off to Muir Beach was guarded by two HUGE poison oak plants. Looked like a road went straight, so I went straight but it petered out and I ended up bushwhacking down a rocky slope to the Redwood Creek trail (think that's what it was...) It was not the most fun ride I ever had.

I remember hearing this trail was going to get a lot of work and be turned into another section of single track for the Bay Area Ridge Trail. Has that been started?

-slide
    When I rode Diaz Ridge last week, I didn't see (or get) any poison oak. The trail was really wet and mucky in places. The trail is rutty and rocky. I recall taking a pretty bad beating on my hardtail years ago. It was nice to have 5.5" of travel this time. Once you get to the big rocky outcrop before Muir, you can either take a left, or a right to get you down the final stretch. The one to the right is gnarly - steep, skinny and rocky. Not really an epic descent, more of a nuisance I would have really enjoyed watching 6million$man negotiate the ridge on his cross bike.

GASing
    Quote Originally Posted by Loll
    "bomb down Mt. Tam"

Where is this? Is this the legendary Repack? If so, which trail will take you there? I am looking at this Marin headlands map I found online.
    Repack is over by Pine Mountain, near Fairfax, not the headlands. Riding repack is a fun little piece of history, but IMO, not the funnest riding in Marin. Tenderfoot is a blast if you like skinny descents with some drops and technical parts.

WWYD?
    When I rode Diaz Ridge last week, I didn't see (or get) any poison oak.
    ...the poison oak is sleeping...shhh...

(slight return)
    ...Once you get to the big rocky outcrop before Muir, you can either take a left, or a right to get you down the final stretch. The one to the right is gnarly - steep, skinny and rocky. Not really an epic descent, more of a nuisance I would have really enjoyed watching 6million$man negotiate the ridge on his cross bike.

Yeah, that sounds like the way I went, to the right. And I was on a hardtail then. Sounds like I'll have to give it another go on the FS, esp. now that I won't be freaked about getting "The Call" mid-ride.

-slide