Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 58
  1. #1
    Socialist
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    357

    Marin - Crazy Driver Alert

    Ran across this in the social medias, looks to be right in front of the post office in Ross. Keep an eye out for this nutter.

    Last edited by JayPee; 02-23-2017 at 11:57 AM. Reason: Added information.

  2. #2
    Trail Blazer
    Reputation: ridinHigh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    274
    Damn!

  3. #3
    Trail Gnome
    Reputation: griz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,616
    Quote Originally Posted by JayPee View Post
    Keep an eye out for this nutter.

    Sorry JayPee...I was just messing with you

  4. #4
    Trail Gnome
    Reputation: griz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,616
    Seriously though...turn that in to the police.

  5. #5
    Socialist
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    357
    Sorry, not me, I believe the cyclist has been in contact with authorities.

  6. #6
    Trail Blazer
    Reputation: ridinHigh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    274
    that should be an attempted murder charge

  7. #7
    fc
    fc is offline
    mtbr founder Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    25,849
    What ARE you gonna do when they come for you?
    IPA will save America

  8. #8
    ask
    ask is offline
    user
    Reputation: ask's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    991
    Uh... ya, that guys needs to be arrested. Glad you had a camera. Super tempted to get a set of those Cycliq camera/lights.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    170


    That's what I first thought he was saying lol

    Damn that guy is on the good sh!t, made a complete u-turn and all, that's a nice ticket plus maybe more felonious charges. "I'll get a shot gun and shoot your head off!" Ahh brother - thanks for sharing.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: skyno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,204
    Other than this nutbar clearly losing his sh!t, I can't really tell wtf just happened? Did he lose it just b/c of the mere existence of the cyclist?

  11. #11
    Trail Blazer
    Reputation: ridinHigh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    274
    Quote Originally Posted by skyno View Post
    Other than this nutbar clearly losing his sh!t, I can't really tell wtf just happened? Did he lose it just b/c of the mere existence of the cyclist?
    That's what it seems like.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bob-o's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    392
    Cyclist wearing a MAGA hat maybe?

  13. #13
    Poacher
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    2,414
    That driver is insane, thats clear. But the video may have left off a previous altercation between these 2 people, a few miles back. Maybe the cyclist almost caused a serious accident by running a stop sign? Maybe the cyclist is innocent. I would need both stories. People in West Marin hate cyclists, especially roadies, because alot of the cyclists are inconsiderate . That driver is pretty lucky he did not hurt anyone when he lost his mind though. Thanks for posting, I need to remember to be careful so I dont get my head blown off.

  14. #14
    fc
    fc is offline
    mtbr founder Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    25,849
    Quote Originally Posted by hoolie View Post
    That driver is insane, thats clear. But the video may have left off a previous altercation between these 2 people, a few miles back. Maybe the cyclist almost caused a serious accident by running a stop sign? Maybe the cyclist is innocent. I would need both stories. People in West Marin hate cyclists, especially roadies, because alot of the cyclists are incosiderate. That driver is pretty lucky he did not hurt anyone when he lost his mind though. Thanks for posting, I need to remember to be careful so I dont get my head blown off.
    >> Maybe the cyclist almost caused a serious accident by running a stop sign?

    That's a good one. Maybe the cyclist robbed a bank and is fleeing the scene of the crime?!?
    IPA will save America

  15. #15
    Socialist
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    357
    Quote Originally Posted by hoolie View Post
    That driver is insane, thats clear. But the video may have left off a previous altercation between these 2 people, a few miles back. Maybe the cyclist almost caused a serious accident by running a stop sign? Maybe the cyclist is innocent. I would need both stories. People in West Marin hate cyclists, especially roadies, because alot of the cyclists are incosiderate. That driver is pretty lucky he did not hurt anyone when he lost his mind though. Thanks for posting, I need to remember to be careful so I dont get my head blown off.
    Heh. At 0:08 in the video, you can see the Ford pulling out of the parking lot next to the Post Office, one can only assume that the driver had an unpleasant experience with USPS and decided to vent his spleen at the first opportunity.

    What kind of behavior on the part of the cyclist would warrant the motorist behaving in this manner and would those actions automatically excuse the actions of the driver? It seems to me that the onus to de-escallate would be on the driver.

  16. #16
    Poacher
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    2,414
    The driver is insane. People like that screw with me a few times a year while I road ride. There is no explaining it. Its reality. There are some real geniuses here in Oakland.

  17. #17
    AKD
    AKD is offline
    Temporarily flatlanded
    Reputation: AKD's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    780
    Quote Originally Posted by JayPee View Post
    Heh. At 0:08 in the video, you can see the Ford pulling out of the parking lot next to the Post Office, one can only assume that the driver had an unpleasant experience with USPS and decided to vent his spleen at the first opportunity.

    What kind of behavior on the part of the cyclist would warrant the motorist behaving in this manner and would those actions automatically excuse the actions of the driver? It seems to me that the onus to de-escallate would be on the driver.
    It's not that abnormal for a driver to get really upset that they have to yield to a cyclist in the roadway before turning on to the road. The thought process being that a car is faster than a cyclist, so the car should go first so it doesn't have to pass the cyclist later. This is one of my favorite kinds of drivers, particularly when there's a red light ahead (and therefore they aren't suffering a delay by yielding the right of way). You meet a lot of really interesting people when you bike commute.

  18. #18
    Trail Gnome
    Reputation: griz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,616
    Quote Originally Posted by dchester View Post


    That's what I first thought he was saying lol

    Damn that guy is on the good sh!t, made a complete u-turn and all, that's a nice ticket plus maybe more felonious charges. "I'll get a shot gun and shoot your head off!" Ahh brother - thanks for sharing.
    The fact that nutjob said "I'll get a shotgun and shoot your head off", makes me want to go down to the Ross post office and wait for him

  19. #19
    Trail Gnome
    Reputation: griz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,616
    Quote Originally Posted by hoolie View Post
    That driver is insane, thats clear. But the video may have left off a previous altercation between these 2 people, a few miles back. Maybe the cyclist almost caused a serious accident by running a stop sign? Maybe the cyclist is innocent. I would need both stories. People in West Marin hate cyclists, especially roadies, because alot of the cyclists are inconsiderate . That driver is pretty lucky he did not hurt anyone when he lost his mind though. Thanks for posting, I need to remember to be careful so I dont get my head blown off.
    That's not in West Marin, it's downtown Ross. Right in front of a school, the post office, and the police department

  20. #20
    Poacher
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    2,414
    Yes, OP said that, Ross. I am from Scabo, so all is west to me.

  21. #21
    Resident Curmudgeon
    Reputation: Buzz Cut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,495
    Crap like that happened late one night in Capitola in the early 90s at 2 am on Portola. Driver ran a bicyclist off the road then doubled back crossed the center line and tried to run over the bicyclist who had retreated into a driveway. The car kept coming at him so he pulled out a 9mm and emptied the clip into the car hitting the driver 4 times. The Bicyclist? he was a Police Sergent on his way home after his shift. The driver survived and was charged with Assault with a deadly weapon on a police officer, attempted murder. he got 20 years
    Warning: Consumption of alcohol may make you think the person on the barstool next to you is attractive

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    516
    Quote Originally Posted by skyno View Post
    Other than this nutbar clearly losing his sh!t, I can't really tell wtf just happened? Did he lose it just b/c of the mere existence of the cyclist?
    I can't tell what he's saying around 0:45, "get out of the ____". Then he goes on to say "all of you little bastards" which may imply a racial thing? So much anger all balled up like that, wow. Oregon front plate maybe, hard to see.
    Romani ite domum

  23. #23
    fc
    fc is offline
    mtbr founder Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    25,849
    The driver was mad because the cyclist was in the lane. He started yelling at the cyclist so the cyclist dropped his bike and started yelling at the driver too.

    The driver then tried to run the cyclist over, TWICE.

    reported to police now and the City of Ross police are handling it properly and taking it seriously.

    I'm in touch with the victim and he'll keep me updated on the progress. The footage was all caught by a Cycliq tail light with camera.

    The driver is a local and has had several harassment issues with cyclists before. Some reported that he started screaming at two cyclists for changing a flat tire on the side of the road.

    Vehicle information is:
    California Plate: BAC PAC
    1993 Ford Explorer
    VIN: 1FMCU24X0PUA94142
    Trim: XL
    4.0L NA V6 overhead valves (OHV) 12V
    (from youtube comments)
    IPA will save America

  24. #24
    I'm really diggin it!
    Reputation: Davey Simon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    2,512
    Quote Originally Posted by skyno View Post
    Other than this nutbar clearly losing his sh!t, I can't really tell wtf just happened? Did he lose it just b/c of the mere existence of the cyclist?
    Basically. It's the same on the trails as well. Land managers give people like that a permission slip to hate on cyclists and even solicit feedback from them. Then the Marin IJ runs a story about it and the cycle of negativity keeps going.

    At this point the only option if you live in Marin and love cycling is to leave. I'm too scared to road ride and there are no bike legal trails within riding distance from where I live.

    The idiotic tactics used by MCBC only make the dynamic worse. 10 years ago we had few of these problems now it just keeps getting worse by the day.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  25. #25
    Trail Gnome
    Reputation: griz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,616
    Quote Originally Posted by Davey Simon View Post
    Basically. It's the same on the trails as well. Land managers give people like that a permission slip to hate on cyclists and even solicit feedback from them. Then the Marin IJ runs a story about it and the cycle of negativity keeps going.

    At this point the only option if you live in Marin and love cycling is to leave. I'm too scared to road ride and there are no bike legal trails within riding distance from where I live.

    The idiotic tactics used by MCBC only make the dynamic worse. 10 years ago we had few of these problems now it just keeps getting worse by the day.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Davey,

    I think you might be right...what if this nutjob driver is an x-cyclist? He refused to leave Marin, trail access continued to get worse, there were more incidents on the roadways with vehicles (not to mention potholes). After so many years of this, depression set in; he has been self medicating for too many years...his body can't take it any more, now he is a crazy nutjob who uses his vehicle to harass cyclists. Time to leave people...

  26. #26
    I'm really diggin it!
    Reputation: Davey Simon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    2,512
    Quote Originally Posted by griz View Post
    Davey,

    I think you might be right...what if this nutjob driver is an x-cyclist? He refused to leave Marin, trail access continued to get worse, there were more incidents on the roadways with vehicles (not to mention potholes). After so many years of this, depression set in; he has been self medicating for too many years...his body can't take it any more, now he is a crazy nutjob who uses his vehicle to harass cyclists. Time to leave people...
    Yeah your thinly veiled personal attack could have some merit. If only the personalized license plate wasn't BAC PAC...


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  27. #27
    Trail Gnome
    Reputation: griz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,616
    Quote Originally Posted by Davey Simon View Post
    Yeah your thinly veiled personal attack could have some merit. If only the personalized license plate wasn't BAC PAC...


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It might be time for you to leave...you think everyone is out to get you? I wasn't attacking you, I was simply making fun of the situation. Sorry if my message came across differently. Now get out and ride this weekend

  28. #28
    fc
    fc is offline
    mtbr founder Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    25,849
    Quote Originally Posted by Davey Simon View Post
    Yeah your thinly veiled personal attack could have some merit. If only the personalized license plate wasn't BAC PAC...


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    C'mon. He wasn't talking about you. Why would you think that??
    IPA will save America

  29. #29
    I'm really diggin it!
    Reputation: Davey Simon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    2,512
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    C'mon. He wasn't talking about you. Why would you think that??
    Oh IDK:

    "what if this nutjob driver is an x-cyclist? He refused to leave Marin, trail access continued to get worse, there were more incidents on the roadways with vehicles (not to mention potholes). After so many years of this, depression set in;"

    You missed out on the A4B email list gaslighting attacks but this was the basic gist of it. I'm sure he's just parroting what others have already said.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  30. #30
    Trail Gnome
    Reputation: griz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,616
    Quote Originally Posted by Davey Simon View Post
    Oh IDK:

    "what if this nutjob driver is an x-cyclist? He refused to leave Marin, trail access continued to get worse, there were more incidents on the roadways with vehicles (not to mention potholes). After so many years of this, depression set in;"

    You missed out on the A4B email list gaslighting attacks but this was the basic gist of it. I'm sure he's just parroting what others have already said.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Aahhh, it's all getting clear now. You need to unsubscribe from all those email lists, like I did a while ago...things are much nicer without all the bickering amongst fellow cyclists. Remember what Marco said? Something like..."Seriously, get me off this F@*#ing list"

  31. #31
    Poacher
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    2,414
    Quote Originally Posted by griz View Post
    Aahhh, it's all getting clear now. You need to unsubscribe from all those email lists, like I did a while ago...things are much nicer without all the bickering amongst fellow cyclists. Remember what Marco said? Something like..."Seriously, get me off this F@*#ing list"
    So True. Bad mojo when you read too much of that.

  32. #32
    I'm really diggin it!
    Reputation: Davey Simon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    2,512
    Quote Originally Posted by griz View Post
    Aahhh, it's all getting clear now. You need to unsubscribe from all those email lists, like I did a while ago...things are much nicer without all the bickering amongst fellow cyclists. Remember what Marco said? Something like..."Seriously, get me off this F@*#ing list"
    I thought his point about actually doing something rather than just posting about a tree down and expect someone else to take care of it was the most cognizant thing I've read when it comes to Marin off road cycling advocacy.

    It's 99.9% endless internet hand wringing. Everyone has an opinion and no one does anything. Meanwhile all of your thoughts are broadcast to every hater group in Marin. Yet the admins won't remove the likely suspects.

    It's why I'm here in Denver. I'll be able to live wherever I want soon enough and it won't be Marin. It's the lost cause of on and off road cycling advocacy. This latest outburst from yet another insane driver represents a ground swell of unprecedented negativity. Which is primarily fueled by our own PR failings.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    826
    people with mental problems should not drive cars

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ancient rascal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    3,967
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    The driver was mad because the cyclist was in the lane. He started yelling at the cyclist so the cyclist dropped his bike and started yelling at the driver too.

    The driver then tried to run the cyclist over, TWICE.

    reported to police now and the City of Ross police are handling it properly and taking it seriously.

    I'm in touch with the victim and he'll keep me updated on the progress. The footage was all caught by a Cycliq tail light with camera.

    The driver is a local and has had several harassment issues with cyclists before. Some reported that he started screaming at two cyclists for changing a flat tire on the side of the road.

    Vehicle information is:
    California Plate: BAC PAC
    1993 Ford Explorer
    VIN: 1FMCU24X0PUA94142
    Trim: XL
    4.0L NA V6 overhead valves (OHV) 12V
    (from youtube comments)
    Nicely done fc ... maybe does carzilla a favor in the long run with some fines and anger mgmt. ... or not, we see.
    Still searching for my red headed hairdresser Tiffany. "Economic Mother Nature" ... Knocks at door! -AR

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    197
    I am not trying to be car-profiling but all my bad experiences with drivers are sitting in American-made trucks or SUVs.

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    226
    some people are just attracted to drama...cooler heads prevail

  37. #37
    Trail Gnome
    Reputation: griz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,616
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    The driver was mad because the cyclist was in the lane. He started yelling at the cyclist so the cyclist dropped his bike and started yelling at the driver too.

    The driver then tried to run the cyclist over, TWICE.

    reported to police now and the City of Ross police are handling it properly and taking it seriously.

    I'm in touch with the victim and he'll keep me updated on the progress. The footage was all caught by a Cycliq tail light with camera.

    The driver is a local and has had several harassment issues with cyclists before. Some reported that he started screaming at two cyclists for changing a flat tire on the side of the road.

    Vehicle information is:
    California Plate: BAC PAC
    1993 Ford Explorer
    VIN: 1FMCU24X0PUA94142
    Trim: XL
    4.0L NA V6 overhead valves (OHV) 12V
    (from youtube comments)
    Fc, any updates on cray cray rich white dude?

  38. #38
    fc
    fc is offline
    mtbr founder Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    25,849
    Quote Originally Posted by griz View Post
    Fc, any updates on cray cray rich white dude?
    Not yet. I'll ask Jan W.
    IPA will save America

  39. #39
    fc
    fc is offline
    mtbr founder Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    25,849
    No significant update yet. Jan is going over to the PD today to drop off a DVD they requested for their files. He'll get a full update hopefully.

    They did tell him:
    "Be patient since these things take time."


    I offered him the our full fury and noisemaking abilities.
    IPA will save America

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sfgiantsfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,272
    Quote Originally Posted by griz View Post
    Fc, any updates on cray cray rich white dude?
    93 Ford Exploder, probably just a crazy white dude.
    I'm sick of all the Irish stereotypes, as soon as I finish this beer I"m punching someone

  41. #41
    Socialist
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    357
    I was in Ross yesterday, I have to admit I was taking my time in hopes of catching a glimpse of the cloud yeller.

  42. #42
    stop...safety first
    Reputation: TubeSSnapper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    193
    Ah the guy is still pissed about cyclists using the Perfect Cycling Trail. His plate gives it away; BAC PAC
    Bringing it back to MTB

  43. #43
    Trail Gnome
    Reputation: griz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,616
    Quote Originally Posted by sfgiantsfan View Post
    93 Ford Exploder, probably just a crazy white dude.
    Not if he lives in Ross...that Exploder he's driving is his hit-in-run rig

  44. #44
    Does NOT know it all!
    Reputation: matuchi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    816
    Wow - I rode through that intersection on Tuesday morning, and again today about noon. I will be on the lookout for that crazy anti-bike driver. Sure looks like he has a bunch of bike hate - as do a lot of people in Marin.
    Life is short - enjoy the ride!

  45. #45
    Socialist
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    357
    Some good news:

    "A Ross man was charged with reckless driving for an angry confrontation with a bicyclist that was caught on camera and posted to the internet."
    Last edited by JayPee; 03-14-2017 at 09:46 PM.

  46. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    90
    Quote Originally Posted by JayPee View Post
    Some good news:

    A Ross man was charged with reckless driving for an angry confrontation with a bicyclist that was caught on camera and posted to the internet.
    This is geatt news!

  47. #47
    used to be RipRoar
    Reputation: TraxFactory's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 1999
    Posts
    1,936
    That guy is one blowup away from a full coronary arrest....thanks Darwin.

  48. #48
    fc
    fc is offline
    mtbr founder Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    25,849
    So happy about this.

    Driver In Marin County Arrested After Threatening Bicyclist « CBS San Francisco

    Jan, the cyclist involved said another cyclist has contacted him claiming that driver did the exact same thing to him. He wants to testify. Good things are happening.
    IPA will save America

  49. #49
    fc
    fc is offline
    mtbr founder Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    25,849
    Not bad... except for the title where they call the assault a 'rant'.

    Ross man charged after cyclist captures road-rage rant on video
    IPA will save America

  50. #50
    AKD
    AKD is offline
    Temporarily flatlanded
    Reputation: AKD's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    780
    I had a cheap action cam on my commute bike that bit the dust in the winter rains. Bought another, this time waterproof, camera today. The only deterrence to this kind of driver is knowledge that they are going to hear from the police.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Advocacy Job Alert: Marin County Open Space Planner
    By talon02 in forum California - Norcal
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-17-2016, 07:10 AM
  2. Replies: 34
    Last Post: 02-03-2014, 09:30 PM
  3. Marin bike thefts getting a bit crazy....
    By rglsr in forum California - Norcal
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 05-07-2013, 03:40 AM
  4. Stolen Bike Alert - Larkspur, Marin County
    By mike5krnr in forum California - Norcal
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-31-2012, 04:29 PM
  5. Stolen Bike Alert - Marin XC Quad - White
    By mtnryder56 in forum California - Norcal
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-06-2011, 03:55 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •