Like a boss.

Marin County Open Space District - Road and Trail Mgmt Plan meeting MONDAY NIGHT!!

Hey folks,

The Marin County Open Space District (MCOSD) has released its preliminary Draft Road and Trail Management Plan (RTMP) on its website and anticipation of Monday's workshop. The RTMP will guide road and trail policy and access on MCOSD lands, and as such is of critical importance to anyone who likes to mountain bike in Marin.

I'm going through the document and the primary chapters of relevance to the MTB community are Chapters 5 through 8. In a nutshell, it appears mountain bikes may be allowed on trails that are considered "wide" trails and/or designated for bikes. It's a big doc and I can't go through it all today. Unfortunately, the maps in Chapter 5 (describing which trails are "wide") are pretty low-res; I imagine they'll release higher-res maps at the workshop on Monday:

when: 6-8 PM
    where: Marin Health and Wellness Campus Connection Center, 3240 Kerner Blvd., San Rafael (near the huge Mi Pueblo Mexican supermarket)
    why: Staff will present the draft RTMP (as well as its accompanying EIR) and take questions/comments from the public.

I hope to see lots of you there!!
    Quote Originally Posted by jbt56
    Are you a whiny Marin liberal, or a hand-wringing Berkeley liberal?

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Nice...wil forward to my bike groups.

I would imagine Monday's meeting seeks input on this Draft RTMP. The plan seems like a step in the right direction. Of particular note are the new trail policies in Section 8.3.3 pages 8-7 and 8-8.

Also, Section 9.7 page 9-14 sets up a 12 person "Road and Trail" committee

Marin County Open Space District - Road and Trail Mgmt Plan meeting MONDAY NIGHT!!-9.7.jpg

...we need to ensure that the "User Group" Mountain Bikers are represented in this group.

EK2K

It's about showing up.
    Come on guys, pay attention here.
    I don't rattle.

Like a boss.

Sticky, please?

Can the mods please make this a sticky? This really is a big meeting and it's critical that our community is well-represented.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    What is the date of this?

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Comment are Due November 21st!!

Just a heads up good people that the deadline for comments on the draft plan is the 21st of this month. If you don't want to lose Paranickle/Hunters Camp then I think you should dig into this thing and prepare some comments. That is one of many changes that depending on how you interpret the plan, could be coming our way. There may be increased access elsewhere but so far I've only heard the promises and the proof is not yet policy. Many of the changes are coming in the Giacomini Preserve with its new categorization of "Legacy Zone". Do you know what that means? It means all of our dogs will be leashed. It means that you will never be allowed to walk off designated trails again (good luck mushroom foragers!) It means no biking on narrow trails will be allowed. See slide 63 of the power point below. It means that if illegal trails pop up again, our user group will be forever banned (page 8-7 o! f plan). Read it, its in there! Please people, dig into this draft plan and submit your comments by the 21st. Steve Kinsey wants a copy of everything you send in. He is paying attention like the good Supervisor he is.

Here is the entire draft plan:

http://www.marinparks.org/Home/Depts...hapter%205.pdf

Here is a power point of the plan as it was presented (easier to read but eliminates some of the controversial language):

http://www.marincounty.org/depts/pk/...nda_102912.pdf

Here is a comment form:

http://www.marincountyparks.org/dept...ommentForm.pdf

Others can add specific content and letter writing points if they wish. Here are two points that I'm making with my letter:

1. The trail standard of a 5 foot wide trail for multiple use came about from Connie Berto when Big Rock was conceived. Whatever the details of how this came about doesn't matter now. We've seen what the final result looks like with the 680 trail. The cost to build a 5 foot trail and the resulting environmental impact/cost are not backed by science, rather by emotion and opinion. If our nations trail standards were surveyed we might find that a 36 inch trail bench is typical and more than wide enough. Ok, you are right, more like 24 inches. We could go on about the speed reduction of bicycles, the environmental benefits, the cost reduction, etc. but that's for your letter. Narrower trails can be built with hand labor and used safely by MOST users. Wagonwheel for example. Yes, horses are not allowed but the OS survey shows that horses are .4% of the users, as opposed to 23% bikes and 76% pedestrians (page 5-41 in plan).

One could also write about why we thrive on narrow trails be it slower outdoor experience, more challenge, more wildlife, etc. There is a lot to go on about here and the case has to be made as to why a trail like Paranickle/Hunters Camp is appropriate and necessary.

2. The language that addresses our high school (NorCal/NICA) teams should be changed. The plan states no training for racing will be allowed (page 8-7). Really? A ranger friend states that this is not the intention of the new policy. Nevertheless, he is the law and must enforce policy. This is bad policy. These kids are our future of trail riders and voters. Lets help give them a little better platform to work with than we started with. Can I get an Amen?

Ok good people, so this thing is exhausting and I've had it. I just want to write a good letter and hope it counts for something. There is a lot of good in this plan too as you'll see when you dive into it. Lets just take the time to praise the good and confront the bad. They want to hear from us!! Please DO IT.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Thanks. Letter sent.

Like a boss.

bump bump bump

I wrote over 2,000 words tonight reviewing this plan. Come on people, get on it!

It's about showing up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Piranha426 View Post
    I wrote over 2,000 words tonight reviewing this plan. Come on people, get on it!
    Show me or it didn't happen!
    I don't rattle.

mtbr member
    The "power point" is a 2 page pdf. Where can I find slide 63?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Haus Boss View Post
    The "power point" is a 2 page pdf. Where can I find slide 63?
    Hey Haus.
    I think this is the section that Vernon is talking about.

>>>>>
    RTMP.SW.12: Unauthorized Trail Construction and Maintenance. MCOSD has zero tolerance for unauthorized trail construction and unauthorized reopening of closed or decommissioned roads and trails. MCOSD will prosecute such violations to the fullest extent of the law. MCOSD will explore and apply new deterrence methods, including increased penalties and user group-targeted land closures, to stop such damaging and unlawful activities. (Source: New Policy)
    <<<<<

You can get to all the docs here.
    Marin County Parks and Open Space: Our Work - RTMP Project
    The above came from chapter 8.

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    OK - to make this easy for us 'acronym' challenged non-politico reading Cyclists....

1. Who do we write?
    2. What do we write?

- CHUM
    Visit these 2 places to help advance trail access:
    http://www.sharingthepct.org/
    http://www.facebook.com/SharingThePct

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by CHUM View Post
    OK - to make this easy for us 'acronym' challenged non-politico reading Cyclists....

1. Who do we write?
    2. What do we write?

- CHUM
    Yeah this seems to be the crux of the issue...

They have provided an online form here to provide the comments:
    County of Marin - Online Comment Form

There are multiple fields to list what you like/dislike of the plan.

What to write?
    Not too sure i am trying to figure it out myself.
    At the very least.
    1. That we would like more single track/multi use trails.
    2. Not have existing "social" trails decommissioned.

mtbr member
    Left my comments. I really don't think the intended result of the RATMP is to start raiding and destroying all of the unofficial trails on the Giacomini land- there are plenty of locals that hike many of those trails as well.

mtbr member
    Marin has become my number one riding destination over the past year. If people could share their letters - or at least list the points they made - it might help me and others be a bit more thorough, while also supporting existing arguments.

(slight return)
    My comments:

1) they should not decommision existing trails
    2) should consider allowing bike use on existing unofficial trails to avoid user conflict
    3) high school teams should be allowed to practice on OSP lands.

-slide

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I commented that:

1. Look to other regional locations for examples of how trail sharing and construction works (annadel, boggs, sierrra buttes trail stewardship)
    2. Identify areas for new trails and bring in outside mt bike experts or community mt bike leaders for input rather than decide on their own what will be done (things like this are a good step in that direction)
    3. Overall use a less bureucratic approach in land management. (yeah right)

Marin is so over managed it is not even funny. I kind of wish measure A had failed to keep the power of open space minimal. They are horrible.

It's about showing up.
    Oh, yeah, done.
    I don't rattle.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slide mon View Post
    My comments:

1) they should not decommision existing trails
    2) should consider allowing bike use on existing unofficial trails to avoid user conflict
    3) high school teams should be allowed to practice on OSP lands.

-slide
    I agree with all the points I've seen so far - I'd just like to present arguments to support each point. Especially arguments that are in everyone's best interests, not just our own as mountain bikers - I think it would make our case that much stronger.