mtbr member

Marin County Bike Skills Park - Approved!

County approves 'all skills' bike park at Novato's Stafford Lake - Marin Independent Journal

It's official, the Stafford Lake Bike Park has been blessed and partially funded with $142k of county money. A long way to go but this is a huge milestone for riders in Marin.

Mtb Bum

Saweeet!!

Good job everyone!
    Support Lakes Basin and Downieville Trails:

tastes like chicken
    Congratulations, Marin!!

$142K of county money! Wow! That's a great step towards a great bike park.

mtbr member
    Sweet!!!!! I live in Novato just off San Marin on Burdell about 2 miles from Stafford Lake!
    Giant Team Bike & Bean-Marin Co., CA

https://www.facebook.com/GiantBikeandBean

lurkhard
    Nov 2011
    the stafford lake cx was super fun, great scenery, great to hear.

(slight return)
    Awesome! So, it's definite? No last minute appeals from the Marin Conservation League or the Marin Horse Council. Done deal?

-slide

YOUREGO ISNOT YOURAMIGO
    Quote Originally Posted by fat.tires View Post
    County approves 'all skills' bike park at Novato's Stafford Lake - Marin Independent Journal

It's official, the Stafford Lake Bike Park has been blessed and partially funded with $142k of county money. A long way to go but this is a huge milestone for riders in Marin.

UN FRICKEN BEELIEVABLE!!!
    Keep it goin NAHVATO!
    I swear to god if this happens I will ...
    Bring beer.
    Yes, Monday and Tuesday are now no longer weekdays. Trust me. LP.
    No Rep/No Problem
    Banned For Boobies WTF?
    Don't PM Me.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Is it April 1 already?? Hold on, no... (this would have been a great April 1 thread though, yeah?)

AMAZING.

Also I just realized the consultants for this project (Hilride) are located a block away from my house, neat-o. Fantastic work!

mtbr member
    Hey Slide -
    I was not able to make the county meeting yesterday where it was blessed, but know that Al Bauman was again there as he has been at nearly every meeting helping to push this along. Here's Al's summary, which is about as current and accurate as it gets:

Yes, it was a great day. MCL and ilk always have to say something - being a presence and frequently an in your face presence is their way of life. But, their comments were not out of place, esp the sediment concerns and longer monitoring. Pretty amazing that there was not more from NMWD and esp. State Water Quality who might still be a permit problem. There were really NO significant objections to the mitigation measures. It would probably take a lawsuit or inability to raise construction money to stop it now.

Another good outcome was the obvious understanding of the off road disciplines - no Supervisor seemed to have any illusions that this would obviate the need for more access to XC tracks and narrow trails. I think Linda Dahl really wants to take the positive vibe to the R&T for more equitable allocations and the required compromises.

My personal thanks - good turn out with just the right comments and attitude that (I think) has helped transform us into the favored user group. Hilride will send a missile about today (There are over 400 on the Park E list!)

From here Hilride starts the construction drawings and permits will be sought. Next month there will be a meeting of money raising experts with broad experience in non-cycling fields (I'm invited also) to help establish the fundraising's broad concepts. I agree with this now as they understand large foundation requirements and how to approach them. Would be nice to start with a significant nest egg based on broad benefits to health, families, communities, obesity, the underserved...... ONE grant payed for most of the McGinnis skateboard park. The industry and the rest of us riding addicted will get our chance to give, party, and dig.

NedwannaB
    Thats good news FT. Thanks for posting info and keeping us up on things. Hey maybe it's time for me to move back to Novato for this place!!
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

mtbr member
    JMac, you enjoy riding BRR, so now you have 2 reasons I spent my first 18 years planning an escape, and ended up back here anyway.
    Soon we will all have an opportunity to pitch in, build what we want, and hone our bike skills without looking over our shoulders. sounds like crazy talk...
    The kids around here will go nuts over this, they already build some gnarly stuff, and it will help develop some top level bike handlers.

For my 50th birthday I'll be looking for a rig to handle DS, dirt jumps and pump tracks. more crazy talk.

mtbr member
    Sigh... any plans here in the East Bay/Bay Area? I swear I'm gonna start poaching if it never happens!

aka baycat
    Quote Originally Posted by ron m. View Post
    Sigh... any plans here in the East Bay/Bay Area? I swear I'm gonna start poaching if it never happens!
    Novato is the Bay Area

Great news!

brownpow! (?)
    "elevated ladder bridges"
    cooool!
    My bike video YT channel: biiiiiiiiiiiikiiiiiiiinnnnnnng

mtbr member
    WAY TO GO AL!!!

but until it opens I will continue riding "roughshod" over all the county trails!

Lightly salted
    Great news! Hopfully its a great sucess and other towns follow navatos lead