mtbr member

Many Sierra Vista OSP trails closed indefinitely

Much of Sierra Vista Open Space Preserve will be indefinitely closed to the public beginning tomorrow.

Boccardo Loop and Aquila Trail will remain open, but that's about it. People won't be allowed to reach the parking lot at the Sierra Road summit from the trails below.

The reason is that Alum Rock Falls Road continues to deteriorate. That road is an oddity: a public road that's closed to the public and legally used by only about six residences. The road, which clings to the side of a cliff east of Alum Rock Park, was damaged by last winter's weather and is now so compromised that the residents can't use it for their normal exit through Alum Rock Park.

Instead, the residents must drive past the old Furtado residence and up the preserve's Calaveras Fault and Sierra Vista dirt roads and exit via Gate 5, near where Sierra Road becomes Felter Road.

SCVOSA wants to keep people out of the preserve anywhere east of the west access to Sierra Vista Trail, to forestall any vehicle-bicycle or vehicle-hiker collisions.

openspaceauthority.org/visitors/conditions-safety.html

mtbr member
    This map, in pdf format, shows the affected area:

https://www.openspaceauthority.org/s...%2010-4-17.pdf

Trail Blazer
    Hmm.. Just rode there this morning and saw no mention of this anywhere. Thanks for the heads up!

mtbr member
    You're welcome. Word came from the agency staff at noon today. Today is the last day to ride those trails, pending further notice.

mtbr member
    Following up . . . I was told that the preserve is closed at the west gate onto Sierra Vista Trail, with Kestrel Trail and the parking lot inaccessible. But the closure map shows a closure only east of the Sierra Vista–Kestrel trails junction. Perhaps one can still ride up to the parking lot.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    They want a private road but can't afford to maintain it and then use the public space. How selfish and irresponsible...

mtbr member
    May 2006
    That is really too bad. That area is perfect for multiple laps XC type training.

Two Tired
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeRocco View Post
    They want a private road but can't afford to maintain it and then use the public space. How selfish and irresponsible...
    Last time I was there, Alum Rock Road was closed to bikes and the trails were closed to cars. Seems like the trails should still be closed to cars. They may be able to drive the long way or they can ride a bike. They don't seem to have a problem keeping others off of "their road", now it is time for them to pay the piper.

What is their plan and schedule for fixing their private "public road"?
    Let the good times roll.
    trailroller.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by imtnbke View Post
    Following up . . . I was told that the preserve is closed at the west gate onto Sierra Vista Trail, with Kestrel Trail and the parking lot inaccessible. But the closure map shows a closure only east of the Sierra Vista–Kestrel trails junction. Perhaps one can still ride up to the parking lot.
    Thanks for the head's up. I did recon this morning (10/6) and the only closure I encountered was at the East end of the Sierra Vista Trail single track, after the bridge at the gate (which was chained up).

The sign had a different map than what was posted online, suggesting the closure only affects the fireroads east of the bridge, which makes more sense to me.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I called up SCV OSA this AM and confirmed the park is closed at the bridge on the east end of the Sierra Vista Trail. SCV OSA is punting the issue to the county for not maintaining Alum Rock Falls Road. While they said the closure is temporary, the resolution would be to get the county to fix AR Falls road in order to get the park re-opened again. Given the deteriorated state of AR Falls road, I don't see this road being re-opened anytime soon. On an extreme end, I could see the lower portion of this road being abandoned all together. This is a huge blow to the local residents who make use of this park. I'm not sure what the best path forward is (and I get the sense the SCV OSA doesn't know quite what to do either), but I think it would be helpful to galvanize the community to provide input during the early stages of this discussion. Here is the URL to leave input: https://www.openspaceauthority.org/a...ontact-us.html

Here are some of my initial thoughts/suggestions on what I'd like to see SCV OSA consider:

1) Provide more information to the community regarding what will happen to Sierra Vista OSP if the County decides to not re-open the lower section of Alum Rock Falls Road.

2) Instead of closing the area they've outlined in red, only close what they are calling the "cut off trail". If they closed this fire road only, there would only be a couple hundred yard stretch where vehicles and park users would share the fire road. This would allow for park users to still make a loop using Sierra Vista Trail and Upper Calaveras Fault trail, in addition to providing access to Lower Calaveras Fault trail.

3) If the fire roads (Cut off Trail and Upper Calaveras Fault Trail) are to remain closed indefinitely, consider creating a new trail network (ie not fire roads) into the eastern part of the park. For those who are familiar with the park, the fire roads out there are pretty steep and not overly hiker/biker friendly. Providing a trail network, or at the very least extending Sierra Vista Trail to Alum Rock Falls road, would be a huge benefit to the community.

4) This is a stretch, but lobby to the county to open up the lower section of Alum Rock Falls road to pedestrian/bicycle use (not vehicles). This would allow access to the eastern part of Sierra Vista without utilizing the Cut Off trail.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by burndtjamb View Post
    Thanks for the head's up. I did recon this morning (10/6) and the only closure I encountered was at the East end of the Sierra Vista Trail single track, after the bridge at the gate (which was chained up).

The sign had a different map than what was posted online, suggesting the closure only affects the fireroads east of the bridge, which makes more sense to me.
    Many Sierra Vista OSP trails closed indefinitely-svclose1.jpgMany Sierra Vista OSP trails closed indefinitely-svclose2.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Looks like Alum Rock Falls Road has been repaired and the closed sections of trails are open again:
    https://www.openspaceauthority.org/v...es/sierra.html