mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Man's Best Friend!!!

Can anyone Pls tell me some of NorCals dog friendly trails? I have a high strung Dutch Shepherd that I think would thoroughly enjoy running the trails with me

CHOCOLATE NASTIES Baker
    Demo!!!
    I've taken both of my dogs out to Soquel Demonstration Forest a few times.
    If anyone doesn't believe that dogs can smile they should see their faces at the bottom of the hill!
    Master of the unintentional track stand.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Dogs have a funny habit of doing the wrong thing at the wrong time so I run my dog where there's very low bike traffic. Riding into the 5 lakes basin area off Bowman lake rd, Spaulding lake Trail, Parts of the Pioneer trail are sweet when the snow is gone.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Thank for the input I try to be as responsible as I can when it comes to my dogs. I just can't stand leaving him behind lol. Ill check those areas out and see when there is less trafic.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Dogs and riding

I've spent extensive time riding with my dogs in NorCal. I find the best trails are those *without long, fast downhills*, as they tend to exhaust my furry friends to the point where they have difficulty keeping up thereafter.

Therefore, when the doggies come, I pick routes with slower, rolling terrain/downhills and long climbs. Up here in Grass Valley, this includes Pioneer Trail, Burlington Ridge and Bullard's Bar.

Some dogs buck this trend by being crazy fit/young. But my dogs include border collies (think endless energy), which can keep up 20+ miles. But only if the terrain is right.

ALSO: it good to chose trails with water sources. Or carry extra water for your friend.

In short: don't just bring your dog, but plan your ride to accomodate your friend.

mtbr member

Number 2

And remember......pick up the doo so I don't end up wearing it......oh I forgot you're going to fast to do that....hmmmm how does one deal with D S**t when one is riding?...

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mossterioso View Post
    And remember......pick up the doo so I don't end up wearing it......oh I forgot you're going to fast to do that....hmmmm how does one deal with D S**t when one is riding?...
    Doggie diaper? lol

sftrydr
    Pacifica has ample trails that are doggy friendly.
    Pacifica to North Peak - Bay Area Mountain Bike Rides
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Man's Best Friend!!!-img_6154.jpg  

Man's Best Friend!!!-img_5984.jpg  

Man's Best Friend!!!-img_5981.jpg  

Man's Best Friend!!!-img_5993.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Twice I've run across owners looking for their dogs at Demo, and once found an amaciated ridgeback with tags that had an incomplete phone # (missing one digit). I own two dogs myself, and have taken them to demo but on a leash. Too many distractions for even the most disaplined dog to run after and get lost.
    The guy yo' momma "act" like she don't know!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ssulljm View Post
    Pacifica has ample trails that are doggy friendly.
    Pacifica to North Peak - Bay Area Mountain Bike Rides
    I'll look into those trails, thanks. And beautiful dogs you have there.