mtbr member

Mammoth Bar worth exploring?

I was born and raised in Auburn but didn't start mountain biking until I left. I bring my bike whenever I visit my parents and I will be up there next week for Thanksgiving. I've ridden quite a bit of the canyon (usually do Manzanita, Flood, Clementine, FHDL, Connector, Confluence). Just wondering if Mammoth Bar is worth it or if I'm better off sticking to the usual. I've done Stonewall and Murderers, was wondering about Eastside and trails farther east. Opinions? Thanks!

Dropshot Champ!
    trails further east, yes.

eastside, depends what bike you're riding. Those ruts can be fun, or sketchy. Mostly sketchy, especially after the last rain.

Type A
    Rocky is killer if you like chunky monkey, but the road climb out sucks.

mtbr member
    I'll be on a Bronson, from SLO so used to rocky terrain. Pretty confident in my riding, so maybe I'll give it go. Is there a best trail out there to make sure to ride?

mtbr member
    I've wanted to mess around over there for quite some time. Just chiming in so I can hear what to ride.

mtb'er
    While not quite as "fun" as Connector, sometimes I like to hit this punchy, XC route (Strava Segment | Squaw) either from the bottom of Stonewall (lots of climbing) or after exiting Connector in one of two spots and crossing Foresthill Rd. It's a good way to avoid crowds on Connector, when the OHV park is closed of course. Some nice berms and views.

Dropshot Champ!
    Hoosier, Kennebeck, and Grizzly are just brake burners. Loops of stonewall/murders/rocky/eastside are probably your best bet. Squaw Flat trail definitely has steep climbs, but it's solid fun.

auburn was in perfect condition today. little to no mud.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    It has been years since I have been out there but yes it is worth checking out for sure. I don't remember any of the trail names, but I am sure someone can point you in the right direction.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I was about to make this thread and thought I'd search first... any more input? I'm debating doing the Clementine/Connector/FHDL loop tomorrow or exploring Mammoth.

Sweater
    Quote Originally Posted by Alias530 View Post
    I was about to make this thread and thought I'd search first... any more input? I'm debating doing the Clementine/Connector/FHDL loop tomorrow or exploring Mammoth.
    If I'm planning on mammoth, I like to climb confluence and then head in on stonewall. Then where you would climb out of mammoth to old foresthill road, continue on stonewall where it turns into a single track descent. Once you hit the bottom, hang a left and start climbing. You can follow it all the way to the spur trail to the lower FHDL parking and then continue back on the normal ASRA trails. This route mostly stays up high on the north side of mammoth and all the descents will be off to your right. You pass Murderers on the first part of stonewall and then the real rutted, narrow, and steep trails like grizzly further out. Others could guide you better I think, but that's the basics. I like to head into mammoth when I'm looking for a tougher ride, both climbing and descending.
    All out of S**** and down to my last F***

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I wasn't totally clear in my post... I've started at the top of Confluence, passed the sign for Murderers, gone down Stonewall (I think), up Ranch, and a few more miles until I got dumped out at mile 0 on the Foresthill Divide Loop. I thought it was a ton of climbing for how much flat/descending there was but I could have been having an off day.

Is there anything else worth going on? I saw a few black diamond marked trails but I was at the end of my energy by the time I got there so I didn't go on them.

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006

Mammoth Bar worth exploring?

Here is your map of Mammoth Bar. What you described above is down Stonewall, then up Ranch, then up/across Squaw Flat to FHDL. This should give you a nice visual of where the trails that others are mentioning are:
    http://www.parks.ca.gov/pages/502/fi...arbrochure.pdf

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Mammoth Bar is definitely worth your time, but it helps if you go into it with an open mind and expect some hike-a-bike sections in the eastern portion. I love heading out there as an alternative to the usual Auburn rides that I've done a zillion times before.

There is also some technical challenges of the kind that you won't find elsewhere in ASRA on legal trails.

Also note that there is often far less shade in the eastern section, so it will be quite toasty in June.
    --
    Check out the Bear Yuba Land Trust trails program
    http://www.bylt.org/index.php/trails/

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoelaces View Post
    Here is your map of Mammoth Bar. What you described above is down Stonewall, then up Ranch, then up/across Squaw Flat to FHDL. This should give you a nice visual of where the trails that others are mentioning are:
    http://www.parks.ca.gov/pages/502/fi...arbrochure.pdf
    Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by memine View Post
    Mammoth Bar is definitely worth your time, but it helps if you go into it with an open mind and expect some hike-a-bike sections in the eastern portion. I love heading out there as an alternative to the usual Auburn rides that I've done a zillion times before.

There is also some technical challenges of the kind that you won't find elsewhere in ASRA on legal trails.

Also note that there is often far less shade in the eastern section, so it will be quite toasty in June.
    Hike a bike is fine with me. There's a few climbs in ASRA I'm too lazy to clean and end up HAB'ing towards the top of them sometimes.

I've been riding about a year and can ride everything in ASRA including the most technical spots of Confluence. Will I be fine in Mammoth? Just be careful?

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    There are some descents that are eroded and sketchy for sure, plus others that are very rocky. Just take your time and don't ride anything your are not comfortable with, especially if you are riding alone.

I'm riding Mammoth much more frequently since the redesign of Culvert.
    --

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by memine View Post
    There are some descents that are eroded and sketchy for sure, plus others that are very rocky. Just take your time and don't ride anything your are not comfortable with, especially if you are riding alone.

I'm riding Mammoth much more frequently since the redesign of Culvert.
    Gotcha, will do. I actually had my first ever hands-touched-the-ground-before-feet crash today on a familiar tame trail. I think I hit a patch of leaves on the hardpack and just didn't have enough traction. I ride very cautiously on new trails, especially harder ones!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alias530 View Post

I've been riding about a year and can ride everything in ASRA including the most technical spots of Confluence. Will I be fine in Mammoth? Just be careful?
    Id advise a great deal of caution if youre riding down anything in Mammoth in your case. Nothing on culvert comes close to what you can/will find in MB.

All trails are easily shuttle-able, so maybe get a few buddies together and run some shuttles with you for a first time go around? That way you could easily sample all trails within the park and have some piece of mind knowing you wont end up stranded in the woods 200 ft of the side of the hill

Note that Saturdays, the park is closed to OHV use but open for non motored users, meaning you have the place to yourself. You will need to pay 'the man' if you plan on picking up riders at the bottom for shuttles.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanxj View Post
    Id advise a great deal of caution if youre riding down anything in Mammoth in your case. Nothing on culvert comes close to what you can/will find in MB.

All trails are easily shuttle-able, so maybe get a few buddies together and run some shuttles with you for a first time go around? That way you could easily sample all trails within the park and have some piece of mind knowing you wont end up stranded in the woods 200 ft of the side of the hill

Note that Saturdays, the park is closed to OHV use but open for non motored users, meaning you have the place to yourself. You will need to pay 'the man' if you plan on picking up riders at the bottom for shuttles.
    Yeah ASRA as a whole does not strike me as very technical anymore. There's a couple spots on the Confluence trail maybe but Culvert is nothing technical at all.

I rode Stonewall, Ranch, and Squaw and besides Stonewall being damn steep, it wasn't anything I hadn't experienced before but it sounds like it gets much nastier?

mtbr member
    Rocky, murderers, Eastside, Grizzly all = 'mo nasty!

And remember, theres NO such thing as a non technical TRAIL.

Doesnt exist, physics wont allow it. There is, however, a growing epidemic of non technical RIDERS. (in no way do i mean to imply youre one of em, esp since your seeking out more gnar)

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Culvert used to be technical. But that's another story :-)

Lots of good descents in Mammoth. But honestly, even as someone who has ridden for 20+ years and knows the trails there well, I wouldn't ride the more remote Mammoth downhills alone. There is too great a chance that if things go wrong, you'll be SOL alone on trails that don't see much traffic.

And when I say HAB, I mean potentially large HAB. I pushed my bike up Grizzly early this spring and as I recall, it was at least 20-25 minutes of hiking.
    --