mtbr member

Luther pass to Scott's lake trail

Today I did Luther pass to Scott's lake trial (aka cattle trail) and lots of work has been done to it. There is now no steep climb at the beginning with a slight downhill instead and the tech sections have been sanitized. When was this done? Last time I was on the trail was last August. Seems like this took a big crew, is this trail legit now?

This section use to be challenging.

Views haven't been sanitized.

mtbr dismember

It's all relative

I've been riding that trail for years and some of it was done last summer. However, "sanitized" is relative to your level. I do not envy planners who have to balance trail usage to suit a varied clientele of both hikers and bikers, which may range from beginner to advanced, and young to old. A good bit of the old trail, the really rocky parts, was unrideable for all but advanced riders. Some of it was so primitive I lost the trail on more than one occasion. I would say the former rocky parts are now intermediate and that seems a decent compromise. I am amazed, and thankful, that in these tight budget times a good bit of trail work is still being done in the Tahoe area.

BTW, I remember that steep section and it seemed way too many people went way around it, making a mess in the process. Perhaps the trail planners took that into account.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wherewolf View Post
    I do not envy planners who have to balance trail usage to suit a varied clientele of both hikers and bikers, which may range from beginner to advanced, and young to old.
    This trail was defiantly not legally built so I don't think the trail builders had all user types in mind. The entrance use to be hidden for years. Seem like it may be legal now and maybe mapped soon. RIP another tech trail.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Rode it a few weeks ago for the first time in several years. I can't compare the features directly, but the trail that's there now is a well designed (mostly) technical trail. It doesn't feel sanitized. (and it was still too much for the wife, had to take her back and come back to ride it later)
    Live to Ride, Ride to Live

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by nutballchamp View Post
    Today I did Luther pass to Scott's lake trial (aka cattle trail) and lots of work has been done to it. There is now no steep climb at the beginning with a slight downhill instead and the tech sections have been sanitized. When was this done? Last time I was on the trail was last August. Seems like this took a big crew, is this trail legit now?

This section use to be challenging.

Views haven't been sanitized.

Is this trail accessed coming up from 89 out of Myers heading towards 88??
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

mtbr member
    Yes^ Right at Luther Pass. Go through the gate and head down the old road. WATCH for the trail off to your right(couple hundred feet)! As soon as you start picking up speed and having fun the turn is right there and easy to miss. It will be a buzz kill if you have to climb back out of that valley.

I rode this section for the 1st time 2 weeks ago and loved it. It was very obvious that some sections were new and re routed. But as always, I fully disapprove of any and all things that could be considered sanitized. Bummer.

mtbr dismember

Map

Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    Is this trail accessed coming up from 89 out of Myers heading towards 88??
    The trail starts right across Hwy 89 after you come down the fireroad from Armstrong Pass. Pass through three big boulders to a pine cone infested sandy downhill which drops you onto some old pavement. Take a right and stay on the pavement for 0.9 miles. Look for the no snowmobile sign and the trail starts just before it. Here is a map.

I was on it today and the wildflowers and Aspen stands are quite beautiful.

Luther pass to Scott's lake trail-cattle.jpg

More Torque
    Quote Originally Posted by Wherewolf View Post
    The trail starts right across Hwy 89 after you come down the fireroad from Armstrong Pass. Pass through three big boulders to a pine cone infested sandy downhill which drops you onto some old pavement. Take a right and stay on the pavement for 0.9 miles. Look for the no snowmobile sign and the trail starts just before it. Here is a map.

I was on it today and the wildflowers and Aspen stands are quite beautiful.
    Thanks for the map. I was recently in the area and wondering if there was a better way to do the Scott's lake loop w/o dropping out to 88.

-D