Dirty by Nature
    Jun 2010

Lost and Found Conditions Predictions?!

I saw the SBTS grinder registration opened, but June 3 sounds kinda iffy with all the (continuing) snow this year. Anybody have a guess what conditions will be like? I would think there'd be a refund if the trails had white pow instead of brown pow.
    Friends don't let friends ride e-"bikes" on dirt.

Nature is not a sidewalk (I'm looking at you, MidPen).

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006
    I wonder the same thing about the Carson City Off-Road in June as well that is at a much higher altitude than Lost and Found.
    Kappius Components Ambassador - Ping me a note for a discount code

mtbr member
    Really fun event and want to do it again but hesitant based on possibility of snow. From what I remember, they'll run it in rain so doubt they'd cancel for a little snow unless it's completely buried. Hopefully we'll get some feedback from the Sierra/Yuba guys.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Yes, I wonder as well. Things can thaw pretty quickly after spring solstice. Given the record snow pack in High Sierra (not necessarily Lake Davis), could be lots of snow patches/mud. Can't see the existing 2-3' base snow pack being around 3 months from now, most likely will be patches up high . Less dust , right? Im already signed up.
    Last edited by buggymancan; 03-07-2017 at 08:01 AM.

mtbr member
    From last year:

"Ride will be held rain, shine, sleet or snow. In the event of extreme weather or natural disaster, the ride may be shortened, postponed or canceled without refund."

Bring snow tires and have fun.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Don't know what it'll be like in June but talking to family in Portola yesterday, there's 2 feet on the ground and it was still snowing. There's obviously a lot more as you climb up to Lake Davis from town.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dirty by Nature
    Jun 2010
    ^^ And that's that. Maybe next year. Thanks, Bob!

mtbr member
    Most of the race is below 6,000'. It would be pretty easy for them to remove the higher altitude portion that runs from mile 10 to about 25 that hits about 7,000'. Not sure what the snow situation will be like at Lake Davis level by June, but that could add to the already epic ride.
    Are we putting air in the tires today?

Paper or plastic?
    Bring skis

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

mtbr member
    I would also note that the temperature was in the 80s last year. Nothing would surprise me this year, but the snow isn't going to be around long at those temperatures. It was mid 90's down in Taylorsville, so some snow would have been refreshing. If you are interested, I wold at least keep it on the radar and see what the conditions are like in May.

Paper or plastic?
    According to my garmin temps were in low 90s on one climb

Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zorg View Post
    According to my garmin temps were in low 90s on one climb

I got mild heatstroke on the climb up from Taylorsville. Would have loved to jump off and make snow angles halfway up the hill.

Cheeseburgler
    Quote Originally Posted by EBrider View Post
    I got mild heatstroke on the climb up from Taylorsville. Would have loved to jump off and make snow angles halfway up the hill.
    My bike computer peaked at 104, though i think that is kinda high. A lot of the climbing was in the mid 90s though. That was the for sure most water i have ever gone through on a ride.

As a plus, maybe the roads will be kinda tacky this year instead of crazy loose and dusty.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Such a fun ride. I'm taking my chances. In.

graps the nettle
    Aug 2005
    look on the bright side - a little snow will keep the dust down!
    hold my beer...

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I'm in for both the lost & found (100) and the carson off-road (50). I'm sure the Carson off-road will have snow. Just like my first time on Hole in the ground: 2/3 was HAB through the snow & the creek was 3 feet deep and running fast.

inebriate savant
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtvert View Post
    ^^ And that's that. Maybe next year. Thanks, Bob!
    All that moisture in the soil is going to help keep the dust down tremendously I'd think. Little snow patches aren't going to be that big of a deal. I mean, if it really turns into a snowy shitshow, just bail at the 60 mile cutoff and head back, hang out, and still have had a rad day.

Dooooo it.
    "When life gives you lemons...say f@%k it, and bail"

Dirty by Nature
    Jun 2010
    ^^ Okay, good points. I'm keeping my options open. I just have this memory of D'ville in June 6 or 7 years ago when sections of trail were tunnels through the snow!

Edit: After some reflection, I'm out. My grinder can only run 33's, there's no s/t or tech to warrant the full squish, so I don't seem to have a bike for this race! Plus, the dirt is going to be too good this spring to worry about training for something like this. But I'll donate to the $5/ft fundraiser. Have fun!
    Last edited by dirtvert; 03-08-2017 at 10:49 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtvert View Post
    ^^ Okay, good points. I'm keeping my options open. I just have this memory of D'ville in June 6 or 7 years ago when sections of trail were tunnels through the snow!
    I was at the Downieville Classic. Planning on it again this year, so probably a sign that it will be snowed in again. Of course now it's a month later.

Cut Casing Whisperer
    I asked about conditions in response to the questions in this thread at the SBTS staff meeting so I could get local input. And here is what I got:

The majority of the course is at 5000ft (which is currently under 1.5 feet of snow), at that elevation, the snow will be long gone by June.

We have 300 miles of routes to work with, so if snow is an issue, we can reroute to make it not an issue.

That area of the Sierra, with the huge open valleys promotes a quicker melt-off.

The Lost and Found is June 3rd, and according to Accuweather, it's going to be a perfect 74! (what could possibly change! HA!)
    Weather in Lake Davis - AccuWeather Forecast for CA 96122

We are at 425 sign ups in the first week, this thing will probably sell out. So you may want to get on it now.

And the with all the moisture, the wild flowers should be going off!

P

Lost and Found Conditions Predictions?!-lostandfoundflowers.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    do most folks do it with cyclocross bikes? or mtn bikes?
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

Cut Casing Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomchakabowwow View Post
    I saw mostly cyclocross bikes, but there were plenty of mountain bikes, even full suspension.

It'll be fun to see what shows up this year. I'm guessing drop bar bikes with 650b 40+ tires will be a thing.

P

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Is there a maximum number of sign-ups for lost and found ?

mtbr member
    What I want to know is why I can't get a campsite! Did SBTS buy out all the campgraounds? Recreaction.gov says there is nothing available for that weekend.

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006
    There is a LOT of pavement. Cyclocross bike with fast rolling tires is definitely the mos efficient tool here.

But yes, as Mr P says, you can do it on anything really.
    Kappius Components Ambassador - Ping me a note for a discount code

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.P View Post
    I asked about conditions in response to the questions in this thread at the SBTS staff meeting so I could get local input.
    Was hoping you'd chime in... thanks.

Cheeseburgler
    I was on a cross bike with 40mm clement MSOs. Will likely be doing the same thing this year as well. However, I saw plenty of people on MTBs and even a fat bike. I really recommend a tubeless setup as its pretty easy to get pinch flats on some of the descents. About 20 miles is on pavement, and it is a very flat and fast 20 miles. If you are not racing I would tend toward a more off road tire, as I recall a lot of two wheel drifting last year.

Getting a camp site is tough for the event. Most are first come. I was at the lake around 4pm the day before last year and got the second to last spot at the furthest campground. After that they started doubling people up.

mtbr member
    Cyclocross bike is best, but you wouldn't regret MTB gearing on the big climb at the end and the descents might be a little more stable with wider tires.

Cut Casing Whisperer
    Following up on the questions on camping:

There are very few sites available to reserve, they are all pretty much first come - first serve. We have camping details here:
    Lost and Found Gravel Grinder Directions to Lake Davis

New this year, the City of Portola is into the Lost & Found and are making the city open for camping! So rad! They will have tent sites on grass and RV spots (no-hook-ups). Camping and parking will be secured. Park offers community pool with showers, tennis courts, basketball court, bicycle skills area, walking distance to downtown, forest land and feather river. Portola is looking to offer post ride shindig with live music, BBQ and cold beers. Not sure on price yet, but they were talking $10 p/night. Camping available friday and saturday nights.

A possible fun-focused cyclocross race in Portola, Sunday AM, Mimosa hand ups? Still working on that one.

P

Cheeseburgler
    Wow that is pretty awesome! It is really great how the communities seem to embrace biking in sierra buttes area. That sounds like a lot of fun. Thanks Mr.P

inebriate savant
    ...New this year, the City of Portola is into the Lost & Found and are making the city open for camping! So rad! They will have tent sites on grass and RV spots (no-hook-ups). Camping and parking will be secured. Park offers community pool with showers, tennis courts, basketball court, bicycle skills area, walking distance to downtown, forest land and feather river. Portola is looking to offer post ride shindig with live music, BBQ and cold beers. Not sure on price yet, but they were talking $10 p/night. Camping available friday and saturday nights.

A possible fun-focused cyclocross race in Portola, Sunday AM, Mimosa hand ups? Still working on that one.

P
    This would be awesome! Please keep us posted.

inebriate savant
    It'll be fun to see what shows up this year. I'm guessing drop bar bikes with 650b 40+ tires will be a thing.

P
    Having run the last couple of years on 700x40, I can't wrap my brain around what advantage a smaller wheel size (650x40)would impart for a long-distance, non-technical race like this. Any enlightenment?

wretch
    Bump! I'm stoked! Have not done this before. Pretty sure i'll be doing it on my 29+ rig and enjoying the ride. Signed up for 30 but think 60 is more bang for the buck...

Cut Casing Whisperer
    Just a heads up, Lost and Found is at 90% full. We anticipate it will sell out before June 3rd, so if you want to ride it, make sure to register soon.

We are route scouting this week, and will post up routes and elevations next week.

Here are some photos, it's going to be good!

Lost and Found Conditions Predictions?!-18342203_1953692917990379_5568259709196453801_n.jpg

Lost and Found Conditions Predictions?!-18403344_1955014857858185_8279301951522665209_n.jpg

Lost and Found Conditions Predictions?!-18342301_1953692897990381_7821576243348299456_n.jpg

Cut Casing Whisperer
    Here are City of Portola camping details:

The City of Portola is supporting the Lost & Found with camping!

The City of Portola is offering fun and safe campsites located within the City. Choose to camp for one or two days during the race in a relaxed, family friendly atmosphere.

City amenities include a pool, restaurants, basketball court, skateboard park, pump track, volleyball, and horshoe pit. Enjoy a pancake breakfast Saturday and Sunday Morning, starting at 6 am, and a BBQ Saturday Night. Beer & Liquor booth Saturday Night with Free Live Music, 6 to 8 pm.

The Portola pump track is currently being built by Ben Cruz.

So rad that the City of Portola is supporting cycling in the Lost Sierra.

More details and registration for camping here:
    https://www.eventbrite.com/e/portola...ts-33438563644

jct
    mtbr member
    i predict the last climb out will suck.
    i will not yield to DH traffic.

ISO one entry for Grinduro 2017!

inebriate savant
    Quote Originally Posted by jct View Post
    i predict the last climb out will suck.
    I'll be oddly disappointed if it doesn't. It's one of those things I look forward to for months with dread.

Cheeseburgler
    I am just hoping it wont be 100 degrees again. I don't think I have ever gone through that much water before. I was starting to cramp pretty hard at the end.

Looking forward to doing the event again! Really impressed with the town being awesome and helping out with camping/fun events.

wretch
    Can anyone compare the 60 or 100 mile route to the Grinduro? I've been off the bike all winter and signed up for the 30 with the mind to just party and have fun - starting to feel the itch for a longer ride though...

What about back of truck camping? Best recommendation there?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Truckee Trash View Post
    Can anyone compare the 60 or 100 mile route to the Grinduro? I've been off the bike all winter and signed up for the 30 with the mind to just party and have fun - starting to feel the itch for a longer ride though...

What about back of truck camping? Best recommendation there?
    I did both L&F 100 and Grinduro last year. I would say Grinduro was slightly easier than L&F 100 but not a lot. But it may depend on the final route. Last year there was "only" 7000' of climbing or so on L&F and not near as hard as the after lunch climb on the Grinduro. But also depends on your early season fitness and the amount of alcohol you consume. At least do L&F 60.

Cheeseburgler
    New route is up: The Ride Lost and Found Gravel Grinder Course Map

Pretty much a totally new course. The email suggested running at least 40mm tires.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by gryphonics View Post
    New route is up: The Ride Lost and Found Gravel Grinder Course Map

Pretty much a totally new course. The email suggested running at least 40mm tires.
    I have pre-ridden both the 30 and 60 mile routes and any tire size above 33 will be good. Oviously a 40 or 45c tire will be more comfortable. The one techy section from Dotta Canyon back to the 111 road was just pulled. This will mostly be a flat ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Schril View Post
    I have pre-ridden both the 30 and 60 mile routes and any tire size above 33 will be good. Oviously a 40 or 45c tire will be more comfortable. The one techy section from Dotta Canyon back to the 111 road was just pulled. This will mostly be a flat ride.
    That's helpful. Any data on the full route?

Based on the email, I decided to run a HT 29er with 45s rather than my usual CX bike with 35 rear and 40 front. Still sounds like it might be faster than the CX bike, but less essential.

Cheeseburgler
    The race was a lot of fun. I took a pretty bad fall on one descent, but no real injuries other than skin loss and was able to finish. The course felt a lot rougher than the previous one, and was super loose the whole way. I was on 40mm tires, and looking jealously at the guys on mtbs. Great job by the race organizers/volunteers putting on the event.

We did the camping at the portola park, which was really nice. The town did a great job with food, having a band and drinks. Shame more people didnt stay there.