Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Sweat is just fat crying.

Looks like I'll be moving to the Monterey area. Any leads on housing?

Looking for a place where I can have my dog and the rent isn't crazy. Needs to be close to Carmel or the Monterey airport.

The only things I've seen that's in my budget are rooms for rent, and I've just got too much crap to fit into one bedroom.

A mother-in-law unit would be perfect, but that might be asking a liiiiiiiitle too much.

Any ideas? I know Salinas is probably the cheapest, but that's 1/2 hour of drive time to Carmel. Plus, my gang may clash with theirs.

Any mtb-ers out there with some ideas?

Thanks-

Gary

Edit: Mods, please sticky.
    Mountain Biking Is Not A Crime stickers, free! (You pay postage. PM me for details.)

mtbr member
    Take a look at Seaside/Sand City as well as New Monterey. I don't know what your budget is but Carmel rents are probably going to be pretty nuts unless you're way out in Cachagua.

Elitest thrill junkie
    That's a big change!
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Yeah, no sh!t. I'll be leaving the little hovel I've been in for over 25 years. It's the perfect place, but the jobs/pay here suck!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    That's a big change!
    Mountain Biking Is Not A Crime stickers, free! (You pay postage. PM me for details.)

Yeah, I'm scouring Craigslist and am not dreaming that I could live in Carmel, unless it's a rich young widow who needs a live-in poolboy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Hungus View Post
    Take a look at Seaside/Sand City as well as New Monterey. I don't know what your budget is but Carmel rents are probably going to be pretty nuts unless you're way out in Cachagua.

jrm
    mtbr member
    FP, try using MapLiv - Local and live on maps So whats the gig?

NedwannaB
    Good luck with the house hunt fp.
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

mtbr member
    I will always think of that little place as yours. Good luck on your hunt. Who is going to help take care of Hogan now?

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Dudebro, Finch.. Are you still looking for a place in CV/Monterey? I saw you were looking last fall to move down Monterey-way.

OP. Just saw a sweet little 2bd in Spreckels on CL for $1500. Not sure if it's still there, but Spreckels is a cool little community close to Toro/Ord.

Quote Originally Posted by twowheelmotion View Post
    Dudebro, Finch.. Are you still looking for a place in CV/Monterey? I saw you were looking last fall to move down Monterey-way.

OP. Just saw a sweet little 2bd in Spreckels on CL for $1500. Not sure if it's still there, but Spreckels is a cool little community close to Toro/Ord.
    Damn, good memory. Is this the post you saw? Remodeling 2 bdr. in SPRECKELS!

Thanks-

Gary

mtbr member
    Start Rock climbing- close to Pinnacles!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Stinky View Post
    Start Rock climbing- close to Pinnacles!!!
    I know, right? That's all I need, a new hobby. As if getting drunk weren't enough!

mtbr member

Looks like I'll be moving to the Monterey area. Any leads on housing?

Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    I know, right? That's all I need, a new hobby. As if getting drunk weren't enough!
    Drunken rock climbing?
    Sounds safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Sick! That's not the one I'm referring to, exactly. But nevertheless! I'm
    convinced, driving 1.5 minutes by car to Ord/Toro would be satisfactory at that sweet domicile too..

Going off on a tangent... Toro is just... Well, really good.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Finch, in grad school, I lived for 3 years in the little hidden neighborhood between El Estero, Del Monte Blvd, the Naval Postgrad School, Fremont/Hwy1. Easy on/off Hwy 1 to Carmel and Hwy 69 to Toro and Ft. Ord, a few blocks to the beach, a few blocks downtown, a few blocks to some of the "secret" (albeit short) trails in the area, a few blocks from the Rec Center, you're in the "donut hole" where the sun often shines, and the sandwiches at Valnizza's are tasty. There are dozens of small apartment complexes in there, many of which post vacancies with signs out front as their only advertisement. I rented a 2 bedroom next to El Estero from Mangold Prop Management (Mangold Properties). A lot of people don't like them, but I never had any problem with them... This studio is around the corner from my former place: Mangold Property Management: 200 Park Ave for example. Good luck!
    Looks like I'll be moving to the Monterey area. Any leads on housing?-screen-shot-2013-04-02-10.06.12-pm.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by huntermos View Post
    Finch, in grad school, I lived for 3 years in the little hidden neighborhood between El Estero, Del Monte Blvd, the Naval Postgrad School, Fremont/Hwy1. Easy on/off Hwy 1 to Carmel and Hwy 69 to Toro and Ft. Ord, a few blocks to the beach, a few blocks downtown, a few blocks to some of the "secret" (albeit short) trails in the area, a few blocks from the Rec Center, you're in the "donut hole" where the sun often shines, and the sandwiches at Valnizza's are tasty. There are dozens of small apartment complexes in there, many of which post vacancies with signs out front as their only advertisement. I rented a 2 bedroom next to El Estero from Mangold Prop Management (Mangold Properties). A lot of people don't like them, but I never had any problem with them... This studio is around the corner from my former place: for example. Good luck!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-04-02 at 10.06.12 PM.jpg 
Views:	310 
Size:	249.7 KB 
ID:	786912
    Thanks for that info. Probably won't be able to live in an apartment due to the dog, but I'll contact Mangold to see what else they might have.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I had heard forever that Mangold Properties was evil.. So of course, I ended up renting from them. I had 5 bikes, 2 mountain, 1 Cruiser, a road bike and a touring bike all inside the teeny apartment (on wall racks of course..) I bought some crappy rugs from Ikea and covered the carpet (so I could wrench).. and oh emm gee.. when I moved out, I thought for-sure there was no friggin way I would get my deposit back.. But after a good amount of effort cleaning, and luck, I got 95% of my deposit back. He dinged me for a stupid warped, water damaged board under the kitechen sink. Go figure, I had to pay for a warped board 24"(sq) that was messed up because of their crappy plumbing..

So, TWM. +.5 (half point) for Mangold. My $0.02 worth $0.00

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by huntermos View Post
    Finch, in grad school, I lived for 3 years in the little hidden neighborhood between El Estero, Del Monte Blvd, the Naval Postgrad School, Fremont/Hwy1. Easy on/off Hwy 1 to Carmel and Hwy 69 to Toro and Ft. Ord, a few blocks to the beach, a few blocks downtown, a few blocks to some of the "secret" (albeit short) trails in the area, a few blocks from the Rec Center, you're in the "donut hole" where the sun often shines, and the sandwiches at Valnizza's are tasty. There are dozens of small apartment complexes in there, many of which post vacancies with signs out front as their only advertisement. I rented a 2 bedroom next to El Estero from Mangold Prop Management (Mangold Properties). A lot of people don't like them, but I never had any problem with them... This studio is around the corner from my former place: Mangold Property Management: 200 Park Ave for example. Good luck!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-04-02 at 10.06.12 PM.jpg 
Views:	310 
Size:	249.7 KB 
ID:	786912
    This is a great little neighborhood. Lots of little houses/bungalows too.

Gotta say Randys>Valnizzas though.

I just wanna go fast...
    Damn, good memory. Is this the post you saw? Remodeling 2 bdr. in SPRECKELS!

Thanks-

Gary
    Gary-

If you find a place in Spreckels, we will be neighbors. I have to warn you that a lot of beer drinking and bike riding happens round those parts.

Also- the closer you can live to Toro Park the better. Trust me on that one.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by bdamschen View Post
    Gary-

If you find a place in Spreckels, we will be neighbors. I have to warn you that a lot of beer drinking and bike riding happens round those parts.

Also- the closer you can live to Toro Park the better. Trust me on that one.
    I like beer..

Tell him about what happens on Wednesday Bdamschen-

I just wanna go fast...
    Quote Originally Posted by twowheelmotion View Post
    I like beer..

Tell him about what happens on Wednesday Bdamschen-
    Oh man, wednesdays are great. I'll roshambo him for who gets to be the sober driver across the bridge after.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

- You'll fit right-in in the hood FP.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by bdamschen View Post
    Oh man, wednesdays are great. I'll roshambo him for who gets to be the sober driver across the bridge after.
    - Did someone say beer? I'm thirsty & bought a new keg of Torpedo.....

Thursday's gonna suck!

orthonormal
    There are lots of mother in law suites in Carmel Valley. They're not always listed, sometimes just a sign in front of the house. Mid Valley and the neighborhood across Carmel Valley Rd from the middle school are good places to find them.
    The glass is twice as large as it needs to be

Quote Originally Posted by jrm View Post
    FP, try using MapLiv - Local and live on maps So whats the gig?
    The woman who ran the decorating/furniture shop in Stockton closed up and moved the business to Carmel. She asked me to come work for her there, and made me an offer I couldn't refuse.

Thanks for the Mapliv tip!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast