mtbr member
    May 2013

Hope Looking for an xsmall Pivot Mach 5.7 to demo

Anyone with an xsmall Pivot Mach 5.7 willing to let me try it out for an hour or less? I can repay you with a case of your choice of alcoholic beverage or baked goods or other request.

I'm looking to buy a new one and I want to demo it but my size isn't available for demo in most shops. I've tried a medium size at a shop and it felt fantastic but I just wanna see how it feels on the proper size frame.

I'm 5'1" currently riding a hardtail looking to invest in a full suspension. I feel sort of limited to certain brands who make bikes in my size and I've narrowed it down to a few and have tried friend's bikes of the other brands but haven't gotten to try the Pivot. So far Pivot, on paper sounds like what I'm looking for and the medium sized frame felt better than a smaller sized bike of a different brand (in terms of the feel and handling, etc.). I'm open to other suggestions if you absolutely swear by your xsmall bike and must spread the love.

mtbr member
    After getting burnt once loaning a carbon frame ($500 to Calfee and 2 months for repair) I'm afraid I wouldn't risk it again and anyway, pretty far from you. It's an awesome aggressive cross country bike with a Talas. If that's your style then guaranteed you will love it. I'm 5'5" with a short torso and been riding XS Chris Cocalis designs since the mid-90s. The only weakness is hands being pretty high for super steep pitches and I miss the old 3 position Talas that went all the way down to 100mm. I'm sold on carbon but have a friend who has one of the aluminum frames (not an XS) and he loves it so you should be good with whichever. Good luck!

wg
    Fermented Grain Sampler
    Give Devil Mountain a call Devil Moutain Cyclery Special Local Bike Shop in Walnut Creek, California. Not sure of their current stock though. I plan on swinging by Sat AM anyway so can ask, if I remember.

update: no XS in stock
    Last edited by wg; 06-01-2013 at 01:21 PM.
    Don't harsh my mello

Shorty
    Try Tread Bike Shop in Campbell (http://treadbikes.com/). They're pretty good at stocking smaller sizes in the Pivot line. They had an XS 5.7c on the floor in Feb. Give them a call.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Also check with Endless Cycles in Castro Valley they might be able to help you.

I like mtn biking, too
    I have a friend who actually rides an XS Pivot mach 5.7C. (In the black with hot pink color scheme... ) She is into letting you give it a ride. I will PM you.
    Never use your face as a brake pad.
    -Jake Watson

Puro Vida!

Looking for an xsmall Pivot Mach 5.7 to demo

I have a small Mach 5.7-
    Treads is a good place to go, but seems you may have found one to borrow.

Get a Pivot! Great bikes and the added bonus of usually having the different bike in the group! Or go crazy and get a Fat Bike!!! Haven't ridden my Pivot that much since I got my Pugsley-not that the Pivot isn't fun-just Fat Bikes are in a league of their own!

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by katen21 View Post
    Try Tread Bike Shop in Campbell (Welcome to Tread Bikes). They're pretty good at stocking smaller sizes in the Pivot line. They had an XS 5.7c on the floor in Feb. Give them a call.
    Hey! Thanks so much for the tip! I called and they have one on the floor so I'm going to go check it out. I have a feeling it'll be the one.

Thanks everyone else for replying! =)

Shorty
    Sweet! Pivots are great bikes & the 5.7c is an awesome ride. Hope it works out!!

Poacher
    Sep 2010
    I really like Pivot at JMP demo event. I ride Turner 5 spot, and NINER ONE 9, but really was impressed riding Pivot bikes. Test rode 2. They had small block 8 tires in the mud, and STILL kicked ass! Very good setup, DW link like my Turner. I was not in the mkt for a bike, and I overheard a 5'6" guy like me say " I am not comfortable on 29er, I need 26er". I think he was making a mistake, and was not used to big front wheel (takes some getting used to on switchbacks uphill).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hoolie View Post
    I overheard a 5'6" guy like me say " I am not comfortable on 29er, I need 26er". I think he was making a mistake, and was not used to big front wheel (takes some getting used to on switchbacks uphill).
    This is why they have the 27.5". IMHO, a 29" wheel is pretty big for someone 5'6" and under.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KentM View Post
    This is why they have the 27.5". IMHO, a 29" wheel is pretty big for someone 5'6" and under.
    Depends on the frame the wheel's attached to. I'm 5'5" and ride a Specialized Fate all the place. The spec build makes it an xc race bike like they intended. Swapped the file tires and narrow bar for some Weirwolfs and a wide carbon bar and it's a very fun and versatile trailbike. About the only time I ride my [beloved] Pivot is Tahoe, when I really need the cush and the slacker angles and the FUN! Real excited about the new Santa Cruz offerings in the 27.5 department, though.....

PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    Quote Originally Posted by shredchic View Post
    I have a friend who actually rides an XS Pivot mach 5.7C. (In the black with hot pink color scheme... ) She is into letting you give it a ride. I will PM you.

2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird
    2004 Turner Rail - Stoled

mtbr member
    May 2008
    My girl's 5' and has been on a SC Blur XC XS for many years. She's been kinda looking for a new bike for a couple years now, had her mind set on the Pivot 5.7 XS but rode a Giant Anthem 29er XS last year and really liked it. I'd like her to try the Trance 29er XS as I think she'd appreciate that extra travel, but now that Giant is making 29" XS frames, that 5'6" rule mentioned above may no longer apply.