mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Looking for ride in Soquel Demo forest

Hey all, it's my first visit to Santa Cruz with a bike, and I want to ride Demo Forest, have read lots of good things about it. I ride 4-5 times a week in the Santa Monicas in SoCal so I don't think the advertised amount of climbing will be a problem. I have Wed through Saturday here and could even ride Thanksgiving if necessary. I hear you locals are very friendly and am at minimum looking for some advice as to how to get to the ride, but of course would love to tag along with anyone who is going there. I would have time for a couple of loops probably. I have a computer of course, so am looking up maps and videos, but it's always nicer to get some local advice and possibly ride with some of you. I've always found it to be rewarding when I show guest my trails and likewise when I have been shown them. Looking forward to hearing from someone who is going there. Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving!

mtbr member
    Hey Mr. Danger

If I can sneak out Friday (read butter wife up), I'd be down for giving you a tour. Tomorrow might suck with the rain we just had and will have tonight. Thursday might be a little sloppy and you'll have a tough time finding riders with Thanksgiving and many going on this ride: Kennedy Turkey Day 2012 If you are looking for a party...give this one a go but the actual ride is just a long steep fireroad so nothing terribly exciting.

Friday should be pretty good. If I can't make it and no one steps up, PM me and I'll let you know what to ride based on your ride style and bike.

Welcome to SC.
    Last edited by squashyo; 11-20-2012 at 08:57 PM. Reason: word
    Peanut butter Tuesday, if you know what I mean!

padded
    I'm probably going on Sat, I'd be happy to show you around. I've got some flexibility wrt time but would prefer to hit the trail either around 8am or noon-ish so I don't burn the whole day. PM me to coordinate.
    Squash, PM me if you can't make Fri and want to roll together on Sat. (Family thing on Fri otherwise I'd totally be up for Demo.)
    "You are by far the most interesting single-serving friend I have ever met."

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback. I'll PM you. I hadn't considered the moisture factor as in SoCal it's so dry and there are some places with the right kind of sandstone and DG that are rideable after, and even during rains. If you can, please let me know if there are any places like that which could be rideable like tomorrow or Thurs. nearby Santa Cruz, even if it's a fire road, it doesn't have to be a classic, just a reason to get out and spin without being a mud-fest. Friday, Sat., or maybe even both at Demo would be great.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    ride the fire road behind UC Santa Cruz. That is definitely good even if it is raining. Please, no matter what you do, dont go down those super fun, always on bike videos...side trails. Not only are they wet, but something about the po-po and rangers patroling them...

If you are willing to go over the hill via hwy 17, Kennedy (big steep climb), and the neighboring St. Joseph hills are usually good after the rain.

mtbr member
    You are pretty close to Monterey which I hear has trails that hold up in the wet. Fort Ord is often remarked but I have only ridden a handful of times so no expert. It was pretty fun on an XC rig but if you can find a guide, you can likely get hooked into some nice ST that likes 5"+ travel styles. Monterey is a kick ass little town for being a tourist too.

If you come over the hill to do Los Gatos expect almost zero single track with semi steep , long climbs...nice views, good work out.
    Last edited by squashyo; 11-21-2012 at 07:41 AM. Reason: word

mtbr member
    I am definitley out Friday (should've seen the look my wife gave me). Saturday is a maybe with Dr. Wheels...conditions will be way better with the extra day to dry the trails.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Wilder Ranch

Give Wilder a try as it is alot of sand which is now compacted. Rode yeterday, Awesome conditions and the views are nice too.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    we were hoping to get to demo tomorrow morning or maybe saturday. is that ill advised?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tarp43 View Post
    we were hoping to get to demo tomorrow morning or maybe saturday. is that ill advised?
    Should be great out there...go gettem!

padded
    So what's the plan for Saturday? I'm planning to be there at 8, rolling out by 8:15 for 2-3 loops. I can ride noon-ish instead if you let me know tomorrow.

mtbr member
    I am in too. We can do some loops as suggested above or we can do an epic...I'll be bringing my Mojo HD for huck action so if I am too slow, ditch me and I will hold no grudge! If we do the epic, I'll bring the XC rig.

word

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Saturday at Demo

Squashyo and Dr.,
    I am in if you are still ok with at least leading me to the correct place. I had a lot of family activities too, but I did get to ride Wilder today and it was fun, with beautiful weather and nice conditions. Even a broken chain didn't put a damper on things.
    I have to get specific directions from Pleasure Point area in Santa Cruz but have seen them online somewhere. I know to go up 41 and over HWY 1 to Soquel, is all. If you feel like putting them out here I'll pick them up, or maybe you can PM me. I can meet up there at 8 but don't really know how long it will take from here, so some adivce may be helpful. If I don't hear back I'll be up there anyway and am sure I'll find someone to point me in the right direction. Cheers!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DangerBob View Post
    Squashyo and Dr.,
    I am in if you are still ok with at least leading me to the correct place. I had a lot of family activities too, but I did get to ride Wilder today and it was fun, with beautiful weather and nice conditions. Even a broken chain didn't put a damper on things.
    I have to get specific directions from Pleasure Point area in Santa Cruz but have seen them online somewhere. I know to go up 41 and over HWY 1 to Soquel, is all. If you feel like putting them out here I'll pick them up, or maybe you can PM me. I can meet up there at 8 but don't really know how long it will take from here, so some adivce may be helpful. If I don't hear back I'll be up there anyway and am sure I'll find someone to point me in the right direction. Cheers!
    I donno much about any HWY 41 but if you can look up HWY 17, take this to Summit Rd. (it is at top of mountain about 20 minute drive from Sanat Cruz). Take a right on Summit and take this ALL the way till you hit a stop sign. At stop sign take right and immediate left on Highland. Take highland for about 10 minutes and you will see a boat load of parking spots on right side of road and a bridge. This is the start of Demo...you will almost definitely see cars with mountain bike racks.

Another option is to take Soquel/Old San Jose rd up to Summit from Capitola...look on map if it makes more sense. You are looking at about a 30-40 minute drive from SC. There is no cell phone access so if you think you won't make it, please call me at 408-310-9767 so we don't have to wait around but we'll hang tight for a bit. Hope you make it...Dr.Wheels and I are Demo experts!

mtbr member
    Oh, and at the parking lot, it will be COLD!!! wierd micro climate of sorts so bring layers. Up in the park, it warms up and should be epic awesome.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

directions

Yes, I'm near 41st Ave. in Santa Cruz, and I can just go up from threre to Soquel/San Juan Rd. and then it looks like I turn right on Highland and follow Highland until the parking lot. I'm going to leave at 7 a.m. so I plan on being there but if you don't see me by 8:15 it means I got lost or something happened, so go ahead. Looking forward to it!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    BTW I have a silver Lincoln Navigator, don't know how many people are usually in the parking lot...

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I had a fantastic ride on Saturday with Dr. Wheels and Squashyo in Demo Forest who showed me the place, and wanted to express my appreciation and gratitude for this site and the riders who use it for the good end of promoting the sport and its enjoyment. I came from out of town and had never ridden the area, but only had to put out a thread to get these excellent riders and nice guys to show me around. I'm an XC rider but these guys showed me some up close and personal downhill skills, and their appreciation for the features on the trails shows. We did 3700 feet vertical and a classis double loop, Braille included. With flat pedals and bikes decidedly not set up for XC, they can hang on the ups as well as the downs. Thanks again guys, hit me up when you're in SoCal.

padded
    My pleasure, Bob - it was great riding with you! Demo is a special place so I love to share the stoke with visitors, especially solid riders like you who can hold their own on the downs and the ups. After a couple of weeks of rain I might be looking for excuses for a 'business' trip to SoCal

mtbr member
    Meant to check in with you guys...glad you had fun and I was just happy to spend some quality time on the bike (mechanicals exluded) with a fun crew. Next time your in town, we'll show you some more hidden treasures....I'll see about bringing my bike to my next LA meeting.