mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Looking for a nice Camping/Riding spot near East Bay

So I am planning on taking my GF on an overnight camping/mountain biking trip soon.

Requirements:

1.) A good amount of easily accessible, mild trails for the lady
    2.) Within about a 2 hour drive from the East Bay area
    3.) Have a place to setup a little campground
    4.) Nice views and terrain would be a huge bonus!
    5.) The more secluded, the better

Anyone have any suggestions? I was somewhat looking at Joseph D. Grant at the moment, but not many reviews on the camping facilities. We're probably just gonna sleep in the back of my 4Runner so no need for hookups or anything crazy like that, but some privacy and a picnic bench would be nice.

mtbr member
    Here's what I know:

Mt.Diablo. Junction campground or BBQ Terrance. You can do a nice loop leaving from BBQ Terrance (downhill steep in some sections until you get to Pine Canyon) and from there it's a mellow ride through the canyon and around the Diablo Foothills. Climbing out and back up to BBQ Terrance is a bit of a bear; but do able. If you choose this option I can lead you guys around if needed.

Lake Solano. This is North Bay, but you could hit Rockville or Pena Adobe and camp at Lake Solano. I've never camped at Lake Solano, not sure how the sites are.

Lake Del Valle. I've done a few bike camping trips to Lake Del Valle. Campsites are separate from the lake but plenty of trails to keep you and your lady busy. This time of year the camp grounds are going to be empty.

Sugarloaf State Park. You can ride Annadel in Santa Rosa, or Skyline Park in Napa.

That's about all I have. Hope that helps a bit....
    You only live once, but if you work it right, once is enough.

-Joe Louis

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    chabot, close but not sure about the rest

ballbuster
    Two hour drive from the East Bay?

China Camp in Marin.

Totally.

I'ts within 40 minutes of anywhere in the East Bay, has a developed campground, easy, but interesting trails. I taught my wife to ride dirt there. If she turns out to have some confidence in her skills, you can go to the upper trails.

Ariolimax columbianus
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot View Post
    Two hour drive from the East Bay?

China Camp in Marin.

Totally.

I'ts within 40 minutes of anywhere in the East Bay, has a developed campground, easy, but interesting trails. I taught my wife to ride dirt there. If she turns out to have some confidence in her skills, you can go to the upper trails.
    that sounds best if the campgrounds are open.

Poacher
    Sep 2010
    Those are great ideas. Also Samuel P. Taylor is not too crowded this time of year and is redwood forest. Some good long fireroads if she needs easy skill level with views at the top.

gimme friction
    Boggs Mountain. More than 2 hours from the east bay, but fits all your other parameters. Bring your warm clothes.

China Camp is a good bet, but no seclusion. Still probably pretty empty this time of year.
    Johnny Ryall rode MTB

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Things came up and we won't be able to camp this go around. Going to be heading up to China Camp tomorrow morning for a 1 day ride. Any helpful hints on parking, favorite scenic trails?

Thanks guys!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    You could also look at redwood park in Oakland, i believe there is a campground there as well. I personally would say China Camp is a great option, could be romantic as being right on the bay and all.... just saying.

Sweat is just fat crying.
    Privacy, eh?

Nyuk nyuk nyuk!
    Mountain Biking Is Not A Crime stickers, free! (You pay postage. PM me for details.)