bay area CA

long shot, but looking for witnesses to a hit and run collision

hey all, i know this is a long shot, but im hoping someone out there can help ID the person that cause a hit and run accident on highway 24 westbound last monday night on january 16th.

at approximately 9:55PM, i was traveling westbound on highway 24 near the alacalanes exit in lafayette, when i was hit by a drunk driver going at least 90 MPH. the collision ssent my car spinning down the road 3 to 4 times before i flew off the road and into a dirt embankment. the guy didnt, stop, he just kept going. i escaped the car before it caught fire, but laid helpless in a ditch until a passing cop spotted the wreckage. the person who caused this collision has not yet been apprehended. thankfully i survived the crash thanks to officer harrison of the lafayette PD who rescued me. i am at home recovering from injuries to my neck and back, and cuts and bruises all over my arms and legs.

i know this is a long shot but i am looking for anyone in the bay area who witnessed this crash. the cops dont even have a description of the car that hit me, or any plate numbers. im hoping someone out there has seen this, or if you heard about this crash from a friend, please get in contact with me, or the lafayette PD. i left the numbers below. you call anonymously, we just need any kind of information. we just really want to get this A-hole off the streets before he hurts someone else. thanks for reading, and im praying we can catch this guy.

lafayette PD 1-800-222-TIPS

american red cross of oakland 510 594 5222

or just reply to this thread. thanks everyone, hopefully i can recover from my injuries fast and can get back on my bike some day!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Bummer, but glad you survived to heal up and go on. I've got a few ideas for you:

1. Both your car and the one that hit you got damaged, and there could be clues that would be helpful. Which side of your car was hit, and what color is your car? Maybe there are paint scrapes from your car on the vehicle that hit yours. Also, are there any paint scrapes from them on your car? If people know they are looking for a vehicle of a certain color with damage in a certain place, that narrows it down.

2. Did the cops or CHP go back out to the accident site and look for parts that may have gotten knocked off the vehicle that hit you? That could narrow it down quite a bit as well.

3. Maybe you/the cops/ your insurance co could put together a flier with details to circulate to gas stations and auto body repair shops. The insurance co might even want to offer a small reward for info leading to an arrest.

mtbr member
    Bummer, and glad you are gonna be okay.

I'd be surprised if there isn't any surveillance video around the tunnel. At least to look for speeding vehicles at that hour. Contact caltrans asap because they don't always keep the footage for long.

bay area CA
    these are great ideas! thanks fellas. i was taken away in an ambulance so i dont know exactly how much they took from the scene. the idea about the cameras are a great idea. im going to call cal trans tomorrow. thanks again, i really appreciate it. im going to be off my bike for a few weeks, but thank god im alive.