mtbr member

Local suspension fork service

I found a few threads under the suspension forum but the shops are in another state. Any local shops in the S bay that can rebuild/service forks? I got my Recon last month used and it works well but I don't know how much riding time it has so I would rather get it serviced before I cause any problems. Thanks guys

Dropshot Champ!
    oh man, the recon is one of the easiest forks to rebuild. No talas-y mumbojumbo, no dual position service, just easy!

You need a 24mm socket, a few allen wrenches, and a way to measure oil. Grab some torco 7wt fork oil and tear into it. It is one of the most straight forward forks to work on out there. Even not knowing what you're doing, you'll probably have it back together in 20mins.

mtbr member
    I'm pretty good mechanical wise just never really worked on bikes. I guess I should just do it. What's the worst thing that could happen..... ha

padded
    I'm pretty good with a wrench but I don't do shocks - they're the kind of thing that are easy if you do them a lot, but easy to mess up if you don't. I've had good experience with fork service at both Passion Trail Bikes and Trailhead.
    "You are by far the most interesting single-serving friend I have ever met."

Weird huh?
    Quote Originally Posted by redmr2_man View Post
    oh man, the recon is one of the easiest forks to rebuild. No talas-y mumbojumbo, no dual position service, just easy!

You need a 24mm socket, a few allen wrenches, and a way to measure oil. Grab some torco 7wt fork oil and tear into it. It is one of the most straight forward forks to work on out there. Even not knowing what you're doing, you'll probably have it back together in 20mins.
    This this this this this! Listen to the Red MR2 Man!
    Seriously, easy. Try it. You'll learn confidence to boot. Google it for how to's

Cheers!
    ...You'll find me chugging a gallon of Pliny sooner than going hipstertard ~ Menso

Dropshot Champ!
    Quote Originally Posted by DrWheels View Post
    I'm pretty good with a wrench but I don't do shocks - they're the kind of thing that are easy if you do them a lot, but easy to mess up if you don't. I've had good experience with fork service at both Passion Trail Bikes and Trailhead.
    I would normally agree if you were doing like...air seals on a talas, or overhauling a dual position on a rockshox fork, but a recon is really quite easy.

The hardest part on a recon is measuring the oil, which isn't that hard.

Do it man, you'll be so stoked on how easy it is. You'll have to shell out like 10 dollars for the fork oil, but then you're set for the future and for helping friends!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Bring it by and I will walk you through the rebuild. I have the tools and the oil. I am in South San Jose.

Mike

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike87 View Post
    Bring it by and I will walk you through the rebuild. I have the tools and the oil. I am in South San Jose.

Mike
    Thanks Mike,is there a kit I need to buy to replace any seals?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    If you want to get a seal kit, get it from Trailhead or Tread. If it is a newer fork that has been cleaned regularly, you may not need it. Your call.

Let me know when you want to do the work. I am home most days after 3:00PM and am available on the weekends too. With the rain coming, probably no riding for a few days.

You can email me at mike.87@juno.com or call me at home 408.978.2146 or here at work 650.852.6480

Regards,
    Mike

Dropshot Champ!
    rep added to mike. nice job man!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike87 View Post
    If you want to get a seal kit, get it from Trailhead or Tread. If it is a newer fork that has been cleaned regularly, you may not need it. Your call.

Let me know when you want to do the work. I am home most days after 3:00PM and am available on the weekends too. With the rain coming, probably no riding for a few days.

You can email me at mike.87@juno.com or call me at home 408.978.2146 or here at work 650.852.6480

Regards,
    Mike
    I'm not sure since it was used and the guy was in SoCal. I'm definitely going to hit you up. Thanks Mike for offering assistance!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    In that case, spend the $20-30 and get the kit. If you don't need it now, you will in the future. It is cheap insurance.