mtbr member

Living in Santa Cruz is humbling sometimes

I consider myself a decently decent cyclist. Certainly not super-hammer guy or super-ripper guy but I do ok. Well, nothing will give you a reality check like living around here sometimes.

On my commute home last night I got smoked by a guy on a singlespeed mountain bike. I on a CX bike. Last year he dropped me on the same route on his full suspension geared mtb. I know who this guy is. He's very fast and all but damn. Last week I was going back and forth with a 60 year old guy. 3/4's of the way into our trading places I realize he's on a fixed gear. 60 year old on a fixed gear pretty much burying me.

Just when you think you're strong, someone in SC County is ready to issue you a reality check.

Dropshot Champ!
    I did a road loop around lake tahoe a few weeks ago and got passed by a guy on a 29er fs...in baggies and even had his damn 661 kneepads on. He held at least 18mph up spooner summit to the hwy. Made me realize how fat and slow I am haha.

All it did was make me jealous that he got to ride dirt and that I was stuck on the road.

There will always be someone faster, thats the cool part about cycling! At every level, there is someone to chase.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by redmr2_man View Post
    thats the cool part about cycling! At every level, there is someone to chase.
    Yep. I should mention that the guy on the SS did finish top 40 at Downieville XC last year so at least there's that.

M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
    Quote Originally Posted by redmr2_man View Post
    There will always be someone faster, thats the cool part about cycling! At every level, there is someone to chase.
    +1

when that happens think of all the less fortunate ones out there who wish they could ride, but cannot.

Every time you are on your bike, you are winning my good man!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Single speeds are cheating. At least that's what a friend who I never could keep up with told me as I led the crew for the first time in years.

Sweat is just fat crying.
    I live in Stockton. I was riding home one night, going pretty good, maybe 15mph or so and passed this homeless guy. After a few blocks, I heard feet pounding behind me, and he had caught up to me, running! Not only that, a few blocks later, I realized he had stolen the bike out from under me!

These cranked-up bums around here are damn fast and prett-y crafty!
    Mountain Biking Is Not A Crime stickers, free! (You pay postage. PM me for details.)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    I live in Stockton. I was riding home one night, going pretty good, maybe 15mph or so and passed this homeless guy. After a few blocks, I heard feet pounding behind me, and he had caught up to me, running! Not only that, a few blocks later, I realized he had stolen the bike out from under me!

These cranked-up bums around here are damn fast and prett-y crafty!
    Meth is a helluva drug.

mtbr member
    I already know I'm slow and fat but a few days ago I'm riding to work and this guy passes me going uphill like I'm standing still all effortlessly. I thought nothing of it. Then riding home he passes me again near my work! Damnit!

mtbr member
    Usual SC suspects doing well at the enduro in Riverside last weekend:

http://media.wix.com/ugd//af8e5f_7a8...0739d3aa3b.pdf

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by beef supreme View Post

#21 is the guy that crushed me. #2 owns every damn Strava KOM in the county.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Hungus View Post
    You know its deep around here when you show up for a local CX race that has maybe 60 total participants and 2 of them are wearing current UCI World Champion stripes.

mtbr member

I remember once in my college days at UCSC (when i rode more than i studied) and was hammering, at least I thought so, up the fire road in Nisene (in those days we rode demo from Aptos) nearing the wall, and I hear someone coming up behind me. I drop a few gears and stand up to really push it, now breathing like a rabid dog. The guy comes up alongside me, breathing normally and says a few friendly words of encouragement, and then drops me like its nothing. The real kicker was He was on a road bike! It was Larry Hibbard

orthonormal
    I found Seattle to be the most humbling place I have ever lived/ridden. I was always a mid-pack sport category kind of racer but I was also one of the better technical riders in all of the previous groups of people with whom I rode. When I moved up to WA, I met up with ebxtreme, FM, and that group. I was off the back every time on the descents, did the walk of shame across many a skinny, took the chicken exit on many a drop. Humbling, but it sure was fun to watch those guys hit the big stuff.
    The glass is twice as large as it needs to be

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by andy f View Post
    I found Seattle to be the most humbling place I have ever lived/ridden. I was always a mid-pack sport category kind of racer but I was also one of the better technical riders in all of the previous groups of people with whom I rode. When I moved up to WA, I met up with ebxtreme, FM, and that group. I was off the back every time on the descents, did the walk of shame across many a skinny, took the chicken exit on many a drop. Humbling, but it sure was fun to watch those guys hit the big stuff.
    Was this at Galbraith? I've ridden there.

You still looking for a SC guide for Saturday?

orthonormal
    Was this at Galbraith? I've ridden there.

You still looking for a SC guide for Saturday?
    Galbraith for sure, although that was a pretty decent drive from home. A few features at Tokul East gave me problems too, even though I rode there much more often.

I'm meeting up with Squashyo on Saturday.
    The glass is twice as large as it needs to be

Ariolimax columbianus
    just ride.....life's not a race. mountain larry's like bigfoot, fast and elusive, but always omnipresent. just saying, i've seen ladies on cx bikes ride faster then dudes on 5g carbon sleds. oh and that one time i caught up w/some outta towners going down **** on my cx bike, they were on full suspension bikes.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by beef supreme View Post

I threw in the towel one year when #1 passed me going up Kennedy during the Turkey Day Ride. He was wearing jeans. Riding a Demo. I kid you not.

He redeemed himself by interviewing me for the Los Gatos Weekly Times.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Yeah, and Weed Man crushed them all and probably had a case of beer on his back at the time, then rode back up to the redwoods.

I heard Mr and Mrs (Willow) Myles Rockwell are now living in SC as well. Lots of damn fast folks in these parts!

Resident Curmudgeon
    two weeks ago I passed this old guy on my way out to Del Valle. About an hour later I ran into him in the back country behind the dam. We started to talk. he was on a flat handlebar hybrid with Vee brakes and he wasn't breathing hard. he was just having a good ol time riding the trails at age 70. I shook his hand and told him thanks for inspiring this 56 year old to keep at it
    Warning: Consumption of alcohol may make you think the person on the barstool next to you is attractive

mtbr member
    Years ago I would visit a buddy in Felton and we would ride into UCSC and loop into mailbox's, magic carpet etc....he used to bring this guy along, and he would smoke us on the climbs like no other....I feel you pain.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Living in Santa Cruz is humbling sometimes-dsc00065.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Last week, a friend roped me into taking her son out to DeLa on a ride (neither she or his step-father ride). Well, he's 13, I assumed full of energy, so he got the longer tour. He ended up having to walk a few sections, I am glad I did it on my singlespeed. Most of Santa Cruz is singlespeed friendly -- crossing town can sometimes suck.

I've grown soft. I plan on riding my SS more.

I like mtn biking, too
    There are quite a few fast women here. No QOM's of 1 for me, or any other type! (thank god...)

There are quite a lot of colorful characters that ride bikes in the woods here. If I actually accepted all the weed and beer I've been offerred, I think I will probably still be out there in the redwoods somewhere... lost in the buddha dome.
    Never use your face as a brake pad.
    -Jake Watson

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Don't let her modesty fool you, shredchic shreds.

I've found her on my tail more than once.