Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Medium?

LG Turkey Day Picture Thread

I should defer to someone who actually brought a camera, but they may all be in a K-max Turkey/Triptofan induced coma, not to mention the fountain of beer, wine and well-drinks that was flowing up there. It was a fun ride. There must've been over 100 people.

Here's my one picture. This is what my cooler looked like after a speed run down Priest Rock and Limekiln with Photo John, Kenny G and Skyline35/Charlie. I'm guessing the full one that survived caused the damage.

I was riding my freebie 91 rigid D'back. It sucked a bit on the uphill with a 1:1 granny and 10+ lbs of beer on the rack, but I got a lot of comments on it. It didn't slow me down too much on the Dh.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Rumpfy; 11-24-2005 at 02:51 PM.

VRC Illuminati
    Looks like you finished the beer though...which is good.
    That 91 DB was sweet.

I'll see if I can post a few pics here in a little bit.

Perfect weather for riding today. Bigger turn out than last year it seems.
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com

Wanted: 400mm American Classic seatpost, 26.8 & 27.2

29 inches and Pissed Off!

Turkey Ride

So I go for a ride today and happen to run into some fellow enthusiast. Some bring libations, some food, others desserts. Great ride after 6-8 weeks off. I had a blast. That climb was a climb, but worth it.

Kyle, let Richelle know, fantastic bird. Thanks to everybody.
    Dan C.
    CaptainKana.com
    Mountain Biking.....Cheaper than a mistress.

29 inches and Pissed Off!

Turkey Ride II

A few more shots. Lots and lots of people and bikes.

Hope all my fellow MTBR's had a great Bird Day.

Dan C.
    CaptainKana.com
    Mountain Biking.....Cheaper than a mistress.

Part-time rider

Thanks for the great time you guys!

I've been wanting to do this ride for a while, but I was always getting sick this time of the year (d@mn sinus infections). It was great to finally experience the annual tradition!

It was really humbling to see some riders just cruise up the hills -- especially the last 100 yd of you-gotta-be-$hitting-me climb. While I kept getting owned by the slippery slope, I saw the hill being conquered by a dude on a cyclecross bike, a young Vello Bella on a 30lb Enduro (I think her name was Vicki), and Francis with his B.O.B. trailer. Thank Gawd I finally made up the hill on a 9th try (or was it 10?), or else I would've rode back down to the car in shame...

Nice meeting you all,
    - Keijiro/K-Zero

P.S. Props to Mrs. K-Max for preparing the delicious turkey!
    "It's not how good you are, it's how good you want to be"

mtbr member
    Some pics here
    http://www.pbase.com/sdukes/turkey_day_05

Sabine

More pie please
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddy
    Here's my one picture. This is what my cooler looked like after a speed run down Priest Rock and Limekiln with Photo John, Kenny G and Skyline35/Charlie. I'm guessing the full one that survived caused the damage.

I was riding my freebie 91 rigid D'back. It sucked a bit on the uphill with a 1:1 granny and 10+ lbs of beer on the rack, but I got a lot of comments on it. It didn't slow me down too much on the Dh.
    Ha - that picture does not surprise me! I followed Eddy down the lower part of Limnkiln - he was flying and that cooler bag was flopping around on the bike rack. Eddy never bothered with staying on the worn-in part of the trail so he was sliding through the deep layer of loose rocks which flew all over as he pitched it into the turns. It was spectacular!!!

~~~~~

I got there late...

Old Guy that rides

Slide in to home......SAFE!

[QUOTE=Skyline35]Ha - that picture does not surprise me! I followed Eddy down the lower part of Limnkiln - he was flying and that cooler bag was flopping around on the bike rack. Eddy never bothered with staying on the worn-in part of the trail so he was sliding through the deep layer of loose rocks which flew all over as he pitched it into the turns. It was spectacular!!!

You gotta watch out for those loose turns...they'll reach out and grab you. Small price to pay for all the fun we had at the top.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away

...."I don't want to be the fastest.....just faster than my friends."

Originally Posted by zenorb
    I so wish I could un-read that.

J
    ROOOOOOOO
    Awesome.

Does anyone have pics of the views from the top?

smw
    pedal pusher
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Kana
    A few more shots. Lots and lots of people and bikes.

Hope all my fellow MTBR's had a great Bird Day.

Dan C.

Sorry I missed out. I couldnt get motiveted that early. Looks like it was fun.
    I ended up riding with my dog at Santa Teresa. It was her first ride, she loved it, but she was pooped. She is still sleeping.
    Sean

VRC Illuminati

A few more pictures for everyone.

This poor guy went to unclip from his pedals...and his cranks fell off...lost a crank bolt along the way.

Geoff buddy...only 2/3 there.

-eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com

Wanted: 400mm American Classic seatpost, 26.8 & 27.2

Aussie Bob

Turkey and Ice cream !!

Coolest Thanks giving ride ever what a blast , heres some more pics .

Aussie Bob

More pics

Im full

Aussie Bob

And more !

My wifes browenies were good so was the beer i washed them down with thanks

Aussie Bob

Last ones

See you guys on the trial happy holidays , Aussie Bob

swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by smw
    Sorry I missed out. I couldnt get motiveted that early.
    Sean
    Aiiiiieyyy... inconceivable.

What you missed can never be recreated!

fc

swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by K-Zero
    I've been wanting to do this ride for a while, but I was always getting sick this time of the year (d@mn sinus infections). It was great to finally experience the annual tradition!

It was really humbling to see some riders just cruise up the hills -- especially the last 100 yd of you-gotta-be-$hitting-me climb. While I kept getting owned by the slippery slope, I saw the hill being conquered by a dude on a cyclecross bike, a young Vello Bella on a 30lb Enduro (I think her name was Vicki), and Francis with his B.O.B. trailer. Thank Gawd I finally made up the hill on a 9th try (or was it 10?), or else I would've rode back down to the car in shame...

Nice meeting you all,
    - Keijiro/K-Zero

P.S. Props to Mrs. K-Max for preparing the delicious turkey!
    It was cool to finally meet you!! 10 tries?? What you're saying is while we were getting drunk, you were training on the wall?

fc

swag ho Administrator
    [QUOTE=OGDHr]
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyline35
    Ha - that picture does not surprise me! I followed Eddy down the lower part of Limnkiln - he was flying and that cooler bag was flopping around on the bike rack. Eddy never bothered with staying on the worn-in part of the trail so he was sliding through the deep layer of loose rocks which flew all over as he pitched it into the turns. It was spectacular!!!

You gotta watch out for those loose turns...they'll reach out and grab you. Small price to pay for all the fun we had at the top.
    What da frank?? You go down the safe side and eat it? Give me back that beer!

fc

swag ho Administrator
    So here is my story and I'm sticking too it...

Wow, what a crowd of mtbr's. Maybe 30 I'd say. Plus the couple hundred Los Gatos poseurs up there. Man, so many friends and familiar faces. The Norcal board rules!!

So I ride up with my Burley packed with Cervezas and a table. Nice. Too bad I had to use my wife's POS 14" Schwinn bike. Actually, it was ok. Schwinn rules!

At the halfway stop, I was hot and tired. Dammm 70 degree weather near the top! Kenny-G took one of my bags with 10 beers and rode up with it. Thank you my man! The rest of the climb was much better.

So I get to the top and the Filipino Mafia was there. Frick, they want to deport me! It's aiiight, what a happy bunch of guys. One of the riders is one of my very first mountain bike buddies, Nathaniel. We used to ride Mission Peak. He stopped riding and I haven't seen him in 5 years. Good to see you again!!

So we have a good menu up top:
    Turkey - k-max
    Pinot, Merlot, Cabarnet - Captain Kana
    Cabarnet - Rensho
    Beeeer - Rensho and Portola Vince
    Brownies - Aussie Bob
    Ice cream - ??
    Newcastle - me
    Utensils - Jae
    IPA - Fast Eddy

It was soo off-da-hook, the traditional organizers of the event had to come over from the other side of the hill and say... Whatda?? They didn't know what hit them. The mtbr side was better equipped and a lot happier.

Nice to see the Santa Cruz junior development team. Pierre and Menso and the rest of you should have done some junior development beer training with us.

Saw a bunch of old friends, Jill, Gabe, Mike, Niel and met a few new ones.

I asked Dude's wife about his man-whore avatars. His wife said... never mind. Their son Cody was there and he's now 6 years old. He ran most of the way up the hill cause his bike doesn't have gears. One problem though, Cody ran down the wall and took a digger and chipped his tooth. Man, I hope your son's ok.

I was kind of woozy on the downhill. My jersey dragged out of the Burley and my wallet scattered all over the trail. I didn't discover this until a couple hours later when 'johnny' calls me up. 'Dude, I have your wallet.' He still has it btw!

Thanks to all you rammers who showed up. Thanks to my family who waited for me as I played. We had no commitments this year so we spent a couple of days in sunny Carmel.

francois
    Last edited by francois; 11-26-2005 at 08:53 AM.

Part-time rider
    Quote Originally Posted by francois
    10 tries?? What you're saying is while we were getting drunk, you were training on the wall?
    Yup, pretty much!

Actually, it wasn't as bad as it could've been...most of those trials ended after only couple pedal strokes because I kept losing traction. The hard part for me was finding the right combination of gears and riding postion. The winning combo turned out to be middle-front, largest-back, ass on the tip of the saddle, and hands on the handlebar (as oppose to bar-ends).

I wonder if people time-trial up those hills? I think I found a nice training ride for Seaotter...

K-Zero

Part-time rider
    I must've been seen 10 Bellas on my way up...were you the one with "2FAST4U" vanity plate on your bike?

K-Zero

PeeWee

Thanks to all

This is Dudes wife....

Go ahead Francois spill the beans.... Don't deny it you've been there.

Yes our son took a digger down the wall. Knee, nose and upper lip are all part of the battle wounds but that appears to be the extent of the damage. He was excited to see everyone and is looking forward to next year.

PeeWee

Totally, and to the max.

Fun, fun, pain, fun!

Man, that's a climb! First time climbing Kennedy and I tow 35 lbs. What a masochist. That's the best thanksgiving kickoff I've ever had. Beats sitting around, eating bean dip and watching TV any day. Next year I'm dragging all my friends with me. I was impressed as hell with the amount of people out there, but with that kind of weather I can see why. Hopefully we'll be blessed like that next year! Thanks to all who brought the beverages, I had some fantastic Pinot Noir from the Captain and some of J's red wine from Virginia that rivaled anything in Napa. I was glad to see that the turkey was consumed with just enough left for the soup stock. That was Richelle's first bird and she hit it out of the park. For those that missed out, it was cooked with rosemary and lemon (right off the tree). It was cooked, allowed to chill (and marinate) in the fridge for a day and then reheated for the climb. Tasty! We ate it caveman-style, picking at it like vultures.

Coolest thing was running into an new mtbr recruitee, Chris. I had met Chris on Wherewolf's Kingsbury/Spooner ride this summer. I'd gotten to the Kingsbury side and while I was waiting for the rest to show up he was hanging out there by himself, looking for some singletrack to ride. I tod him he'd come to the right place and to follow us. Not really knowing what he was getting into, he took a chance and hung with us and along the way, we evangelized him with the gospel of the MTBR Norcal family. At the end of the ride though, we had to bail and missed saying goodbye. Turns out he finished the ride and has been checking out the board. He looking forward to his first Demo group ride. Another happy member of the family.

mtbr member
    Oct 2003

Good job! Impressed

by the guys hauling the heavy stuffs.
    It was a very fun/interesting ride. Thanks guys I was enjoying the unique experience with good food (very juicy turkey), drinks and lots of riders. And pictures.
    It’s nice that I am getting to know more and more riders.

Slowest Rider

Post Post Thanksgiving Pics

Hey, where'd everybody go?!!? Got the right place.

Oh.... two days late. Only time I could get to ride so I went anyway. Got permission "to climb a mountain" on way back from biking to the Blossom Hill shopping malls for an errand. Went down via El Sombroso and Quicksilver park.

I was looking for traces of the big party to photograph. But the trash patrol was super effective. Not a speck of trash anywhere.

I'm climbing better every day I get smaller. Climbed from Kennedy Rd. to this intersection in 1h 15m moving (+15m resting). (Ways to go to even reach double the time of Lars from Trail Head: ~29 minutes I think he said.) I must have walked about 15% of Kennedy, but was on the edge of making it, except that wall at the end. Fortunately I missed the crowd and the embarassment of everyone whooshing by carrying loads.

I'm impressed at those smaller guys hauling up trailers. REALLY impressed to see some can make it up that Wall, especially the second big wall before the final intersection with Priest Rock. I'm REALLY SUPER IMPRESSED there's guys that can make the wall while hauling dead weight poultry and other trail essentials. WOW!

Being 2 days late and a Richelle-original-turkey short, I only saw two other people and I only got PB&J and Gatorade.

fc: spill the beans. We won't tell.
    It's not slow, it's doing more MTB time.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast