Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Sweat is just fat crying.

Let's hear your Sea Otter (non-race) stories!

Did you get to see/meet a favorite racer?

Did you see a "cool" crash or stunt?

What was the best rumour (mtnbecky, GeoDT and I heard about a road racer dying on the course on Sat.) you heard?

Favorite Porta-Potti?

Best beer?

Coolest swag?

Worst booth? Best booth? Best food?

Make new friends? See any old ones?

Get into a fight? Were knives involved? (I thought I was gonna get punched when I stuck an MTBR sticker on a girl's back. Her bf didn't think it was too cool. Whaaaaaaaaaaaa.)

Best off-campus activity?

Big disappointment(s)?

What else?

Got pics?

One of my favorite moments was hearing the band marching thru the expo Saturday a.m. playing Smoke On The Water. You haven't lived until you've heard a tuba playing the main SotW riff.

fp
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mountain Biking Is Not A Crime stickers, free! (You pay postage. PM me for details.)

jrm
    mtbr member

Gettin the guilts..

from the wristband gig...Campsite A115...Oatmeal stout....Nativeson....Andy rolling down heckler hill..Aosty owes me coffee..cheering on fellow MTBRs on the XC course..the pro short course race ..and getting one day of perfect weather...collapsing on the couch Sunday nite .

Had a blast...

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    I got to meet Finch Platte...and got sunburned to boot...I don't which is worse
    Visit these 2 places to help advance trail access:
    http://www.sharingthepct.org/
    http://www.facebook.com/SharingThePct

Oh, that's right!

Quote Originally Posted by jrm
    ....Andy rolling down heckler hill.. Had a blast...
    For them of you knot in the no, campsite 115 was on the hill above a difficult, muddy section of the course. Someone came around the corner at the bottom and tried to go uphill, only to fall over still clipped in. Andy promptly proceeded to tumble himself down the hill, parodying the throes of someone trying to get unclipped, in several side-splitting variations. I laughed until tears came out.

fp
    Mountain Biking Is Not A Crime stickers, free! (You pay postage. PM me for details.)

Quote Originally Posted by CHUM
    I got to meet Finch Platte...and got sunburned to boot...I don't which is worse
    Sunburns go away.

Good ta meet you anyways.

fp

On MTBR hiatus :(
    We were camping high on Grand Pre ridge, facing Monterey... and all the wind's fury.

I set up camp Thursday night/Friday morning, ahead of my group's Friday night arrival.

Friday afternoon, an hour before the MTBR raffle, I took a quick siesta in my small tent. The wind was really kicking up, and I needed a few minutes of down time to warm up.

A few minutes in, half-nap, I hear a commotion outside -- like, RIGHT outside. I poke my head out just in time to hear the scream of two girls and a guy yelling, "Anyone here?!?!"

My frucking 6-person dome, which was staked down with no fewer than ten 8" stakes, had taken flight.

I quick threw my shoes on and got outside to find the two roadie chicks from across the road quite literally "flying" my tent, much like a kite, using the shreds of torn rainfly as tethers.

The tent was fully intact and pulling harder than the girls could pull back when another fella ran over and lashed one of the tie-downs to the grill on a nearby fire pit.

Tent airborne, it was an endeavor for me to unhook the aluminum poles from the eyelets to allow the SOB to "deflate", so to speak, and bring it back to ground.

Net result: Tent ok, rainfly ripped in a few places (but likely repairable), all but one stake yanked from the sandy ground, and no communal tent for the 6 in my little group (but we still had a great time).

Moral: Pick a better camp site (short of 24" rebar, I don't think I could have staked it down any better).

PS: Great spending the weekend with VA2SLOride, our next-door-neighbor for the weekend.

PPS: Missed the raffle!
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

And...

...Andy in Full Heckle Mode. Man, that guy came up with the funniest (to us) jabs at the riders.

fp

Obi
    mtbr member

... and if we just ... Meeting all of you was the best part.

The story is on the blog. I' don't want to confuse people and tie up server space with a copy of it here. Click here to navigate to it, and there you'll find the link for the photo's. *Or just go to my member gallery and skip the article, your choice. So far everyone's enjoying it, so moving on...great to hear everyone else had fun too!!

Oh almost forgot:"Favorite Racer, etc.."

Sky Yeager and her Pink PUSS(Y)-that's what it said on the top tube, look in my gallery if you don't believe me.

Jeff Jones on his SingleSpeed, havn't talked to him in forever.

So many others too, my head was spinning, we have so many acquaintances, friends of friends, race friends, forum friends.

"Thanks Again to Everyone!" we saw or spoke to, great meeting/seeing all of you!!

~Other question about "Best Part'~I work in the industry for years, and my wife, who doesn't, gets offered a clothing sponsorship...go figure. I'm jealous.
    Last edited by Obi; 04-10-2006 at 07:35 PM.
    You have given out too much Positive Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.
    Awesome!

Paper or plastic?
    Quote Originally Posted by jrm
    from the wristband gig...Campsite A115...Oatmeal stout....Nativeson....Andy rolling down heckler hill..Aosty owes me coffee..cheering on fellow MTBRs on the XC course..the pro short course race ..and getting one day of perfect weather...collapsing on the couch Sunday nite .

Had a blast...
    Camp A115 and Nativeson were pretty good moments. The free bottom bracket I got from Race Face after the race was nice too.

Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

mtbr dismember

Free fix-it, lot 'o crashes

I had a shock problem, bad bushing, and the Fox guys fixed it for free on the spot. I saw and photographed many crashes. Many more photos on my site.

Wow- you got some good shots. I can't believe there's dust coming up during some of them. :^O

Love that 2nd to last shot- what a cluster fock.

fp

VRC Illuminati
    Got to meet John Tomac and he signed my Tioga Tension Disk.
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

Lie.

Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy
    Got to meet John Tomac and he signed my Tioga Tension Disk.
    I looked this up on Snopes.com and it's hearsay.

Got Proof?

fp

I am lost, I'm no guide

Many wonderful highlights

On Saturday, we were getting ready to leave when a guy pulled up to his beater Suburu on a 29" Gary Fisher singlespeed. He was dressed a bit on the flamboyant side w/ a bright purple bandana (matching his purple steed) among his garb. When he turned around and we could see his face, it was none other than Gary Fisher himself! LOL...

On Friday, in what has become a yearly ritual, Marla Streb spent some time w/ my 5 year old daughter, encouraging her to keep riding, etc... It made her day as always. I also have a new "Ride Daddy Ride" poster to put up at work my daughter made for me, thanks to Trek.

Saw countless riders, including Hans Rey, Lopes, Lawyer, Kabush, Llanes, Streb, Gracia, Leech, Voreis, Pruitt, Weir, etc...

On Saturday, feeling a bit of dehydration after our ride, we found our way over to the Cytomax booth (Thank You for the free drink!) and then paid $5 for the Sierra Nevada at their booth. Well needed! (and where the hell were those SportLeg guys before the race? Damn i could have used them

Under normal circumstances, I would say I was a bit disappointed w/ Santa Cruz's out of the way booth, but the Syndicate girls more than made up for it (As FP could attest too).

This was our 6th straight year attending the SO and it just gets better w/ time. I am a bit peeved at the dude at the Saturday MTBR raffle who won what was supposed to be my new frame (lucky mofo). Regardless of the bright orange color, that Nomad frame was supposed to be mine! I guess I've got to keep saving dough...

Anyone else catch Ryan Leech? Friggin amazing. I'd pay to watch that by itself.
    There is no food served in Santa Cruz, the rangers just bulldozed it all. - jschwart73

Ride what you want!!
    Friday

I had a good time on Friday doing the raffel in the rain and then heading over to the Marzocchi booth for some free beer.

Lots of people chilling in the rain guzzling and talking.

That night we went down to the Crown and Anchor to the SRAM 'party' and got a good groove on with some of the locals. I was sporting my "Modern Drunkard" Fez and got a lot of mixed reactions. Some people loved, some people were really confused by it.

A young DH racer friends of mine hooked up with a local cougar (who was also a high school teacher) and then after working her all night long, lost her as to another young DH friend of mine when he stepped out to take a leak.

The second guy had the room key and we never round him until the next morning at a Denny's still with the cougar who had no recollection of any of us, including the guy she woke up next to.

That night we had to sleep in a condo that had no toilet. The bathrooms were being tiled so the toilets were in the shower. And if it's anything you need after a night of drinking, it's a toilet.

Woke up really early and had to run down to the beach and wizz in the ocean.

Saturday

After the hard night Friday I kind of just cruised on Saturday.

I was quite shocked to find out that someone near the Cliffbar area was running a full on BIKE SUMO, including announcers and a bracket set up to determine the winners. I felt so cheated, Bike Sumo had become a Trog tradition.

Sunday

I spent most of the morning watch the the DH races and then came down to the mtbr booth to help with the raffel. The swag princess was making her rounds to make sure her daddy never had to buy another water bottle...... ever.

With the weather turning crappy, we bailed out of there early.

It was a low key sea otter. No big camping set up and I only had the family around the last day. It was a different way to experience the otter.

george
    Trogs: Too Tough for Carbon Fiber

Medium?

My best SO story

Actually I have only one, so it's the best one.

I skipped coming on Sunday so I could buy a landcruiser, only to get vetoed by my wife and spend the day installing a toilet and buying a $1200 washing machine. WTF?

Hopefully I greased the skids enough to get the 'cruiser past the planning commission.

I only wish I missed the Hollywood pictures. Yeowch!

That was the first Otter I've missed since I started slumming around here in '00.

Hey FP, If I arrange said 'cruiser, I'll be coming over for a swap meet on 4-22. Up for a sleepover, beers and a Sunday 4-23 ride?

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte

Got Proof?

fp

Anyone who was on the DS course Saturday afternoon can corroborate my story...the announcer called me out on the PA when he saw me ride by with it!
    JT was in the booth helping with announcing duties. He came over to sign it real quick.

I'll take a pic and post it in a bit.
    -eric-

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddy
    Hey FP, If I arrange said 'cruiser, I'll be coming over for a swap meet on 4-22. Up for a sleepover, beers and a Sunday 4-23 ride?
    Marked the calendar, but screw the ride- my terlet needs fixin'.

fp

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Good job! Thanks to the ICCC

Thanks to the folks at International Christian Cycling Club for providing a great pasta dinner for us lucky enough to be in the GP 'A' Campground. They had plenty of tasty food and refused any monetary compensation.

The young members of the club were handing out samples of Hammer Gel while telling folks the advantages Hammer Gel provides, such as "no sugar crash."

This was the second year that me and my buddies enjoyed their hospitality.

Thanks again from the guys from space #133.

Speaking o' free grub...

Quote Originally Posted by bmartinez1429
    Thanks to the folks at International Christian Cycling Club for providing a great pasta dinner for us lucky enough to be in the GP 'A' Campground.
    ... I ran into Dan'ger and Son Of Dan'ger in the expo on Sunday, and they steered me to the Cytomax booth where there was free grub. Chicken or meat(?) burgers for all the heathen who needed them (and boy, did I), along with iced tubs of Cytomax. Very cool- thanks, Cytomax *belch*.

fp
    Last edited by Finch Platte; 04-10-2006 at 09:59 PM.

VRC Illuminati

Got Proof?

fp

Here be the proof!

-eric-

J_B
    3056-BigGameHunter
    Thurs: Made it to DH practice and watched everyone fall in the big mudhole on the first right hand turn. Decided that I didn't want to practice and went back to the pits and hung out.

Fri: The family and I walked around and checked out the sites and sounds. BS'd with Aaron Chase. Great guy and my 10 month old boy tried his hardest to hook up with his girlfriend. Chase was a personable guy and the new '07 Chase DJ bike is rad. Ran into a few other pros....Cedric Gracia, Brian Lopes, Tara Llanes, Kathy Pruitt, April Lawyer, Darren Berrecloth, Matt Hunter and I swore I saw Marla Streb and she looked pregnant. Maybe it was a gust of wind that made her stomach look like that or a bad angle.

Finally made it to practice and pretty much had a blast riding in the mud.

Sat: Monterey Bay Aquarium time. Had alot of fun as it was nice taking my son to the aquarium. Reminded me of when my father took me. Talked with Kyle Strait as I saw him wondering around the aquarium.
    That kid is friggin tall, then again, I'm friggin short(5'7").

Sun: Woke up around 5am(my son's reveille) and made it to DH practice just in time(noon). Got one run in and went back to the pits to wait for my start time. It was raining so I figured I would have a crappy run. I did. Oh well, I had fun and was able to catch up with the guys I see at Northstar. You know who you are!

Other than that, didn't drink at all...2 beers the whole weekend. I was just happy to be there with my family, have fun and race.
    PipeHittersUnion

e.thirteen,EVOMO,IntenseCycles,Maxxis,ODI,SDG,661

WhatEVER.

Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy
    Here be the proof!
    Geeze, Tomac has that sig down, don't he? Too bad you don't have a pic of him signing it, at Sea Otter. 2006, that is.

No witnesses to the signing? Sorry, I'm still a doubter. And who cares about him signing it anyways?

Ok, would you trade for the Specialized 25th anniv. book that both Ned and Sinyard signed last weekend?

fp

mtbr member

My pics from Le ottttttour

Great to see everyone, here are some pics.
    1-george de trog working
    2-raffle time
    3-minimae and impy
    4-beg/sport ss field
    1man 1gear 1speed

VRC Illuminati
    Geeze, Tomac has that sig down, don't he? Too bad you don't have a pic of him signing it, at Sea Otter. 2006, that is.

No witnesses to the signing? Sorry, I'm still a doubter. And who cares about him signing it anyways?

Ok, would you trade for the Specialized 25th anniv. book that both Ned and Sinyard signed last weekend?

fp

Well...I'll consider it. But only if you can provide me picture proof of Ned and Mr. S signing that book of yours.
    -eric-

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast