Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Quote Originally Posted by zecamara View Post
    I am 'young' for this thread, but interesting story - prediabetic 2.5 yrs ago, 6.6 A1C, 260lbs, 6'0", model sedentary lifestyle at 51.

Stopped eating junk, got a mountain bike, daily rides. Lost 90lbs in 4 months (would be 3 but there was thanksgiving and christmas in between - couldn't starve through them).

A1C consistently 4.7 now, glucose 82 (from 200s), no medication. Every drug ad (aren't there too many?) says "bullshenda works best with diet and exercise" - guess what? Diet and exercise alone work just fine in most cases.

Mountain biking for me is the PERFECT exercise - the type you want to do more, not less. Instead of that gym feeling of punishment or a prison sentence, the kid like feeling of liberty, plain and simple happiness. I went to a gym once in my life, I have preferred instead to ride at 10F, snowstorm, rain, whatever. Once you figure how to keep your toes from frostbite, all is bliss.

I am 54 now, while writing this, but can't wait to be 7 again tomorrow on the trails.
    There ya go, right there! Congrats!
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    i once joked with my doctor. i said, "dang, i'm old!"

she replied, "you are not old until you start falling down for no reason"

i really love riding my mtn-bike. i DO feel old in the fact that i dont really care about the gear. i dont know what everyone is talking about when they say "boost". if i dont sit down and count my rear cluster, i couldnt remember how many rings there are. i just like the ride. i still dont know if my bike is officially the 5010, or the Solo..haha. maybe both.

i've been seeing the doctor a bit more..it cracks me up when they ask me how often i exercise. i say 4-5 days a week is typical. mtn biking up hills. i dont think they believe me. my resting HR is very good for a person of my vintage.

i did lie a bit about how much i drink..damn it..busted!!
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jmpreston View Post
    Age 66.

I've met many guys on trails all over the western US who are in their 40's and say they are getting old and may not MTB much longer. They seem shocked that I'm still riding in my 60's. I'm not any stronger now of course and too much wine doesn't help, but wife and I are both riding far more technical than before. That is mostly due to great bikes and components though.

My goal this year is to ride most of Flying Monkey (Virgin, UT) and most of the drop-in to Horsethief Bench (Fruita, CO). Also all of Ahab in Moab. These are famous big-gnar trails, check them out on YouTube. The waterfall on Toads is not for me but rode the rest of it.

I don't give up easy. Never broke a bone doing MTB since 1957. It helps to grow up in the mountains riding bikes.
    wouldn't that make you 5 years old in 1957. please post a pic of that mtb!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    48 years old and somehow, when I remember to turn on the Strava, I keep getting faster...Personally, I think Strava is f'ing with me. Still slow up hill but can still scare myself on a good downhill. Only thing that makes me feel old is the gray hair that stares back at me in the mirror.

Luckily, I think I've inherited my dad's genetics -he's still jumping off his truck at 72- so plan on riding and skiing till the end!

mtbr member
    Have we decided at what age we can call ourselves officially "old"? At 46, I don't feel old, but my kids keep telling me differently and evidently small print is now really hard to read!

fc
    head minion Administrator

I like that.

Here's another one:

You're old when you have nothing to look forward to when you get up in the morning
    IPA will save America

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomchakabowwow View Post
    i once joked with my doctor. i said, "dang, i'm old!"

i really love riding my mtn-bike. i DO feel old in the fact that i dont really care about the gear. i dont know what everyone is talking about when they say "boost". if i dont sit down and count my rear cluster, i couldnt remember how many rings there are. i just like the ride. i still dont know if my bike is officially the 5010, or the Solo..haha. maybe both.

i've been seeing the doctor a bit more..it cracks me up when they ask me how often i exercise. i say 4-5 days a week is typical. mtn biking up hills. i dont think they believe me. my resting HR is very good for a person of my vintage.

i did lie a bit about how much i drink..damn it..busted!!
    I had a similar conversation with my doc a couple of weeks ago. He then said, "Listen, I could put you on a treadmill and do the stress test, but I can't replicate what you're already doing to yourself on your mountain bike, so just ride and don't worry about it."

Okie dokie!
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    FYI, there is a special Old Fart category of ride at this years Ales and Trails May 26 in China Camp State Park.

www.alesandtrails.com

Trail Gnome
    Quote Originally Posted by vernonator View Post
    FYI, there is a special Old Fart category of ride at this years Ales and Trails May 26 in China Camp State Park.

www.alesandtrails.com
    Speaking of old farts...I saw you at Hopmonk Sunday night...John Doe Folk Trio was pretty awesome

NedwannaB
    Griz did you end up getting a new steed?
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Old Fart? Get off my lawn! I still think I'm 18!

NedwannaB
    Yeah! THAT!
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Say Hi next time

Quote Originally Posted by griz View Post
    Speaking of old farts...I saw you at Hopmonk Sunday night...John Doe Folk Trio was pretty awesome
    Griz, why didn't you say hello? Virtual friendships need the balance of a face to face!

Trail Gnome
    Quote Originally Posted by vernonator View Post
    Griz, why didn't you say hello? Virtual friendships need the balance of a face to face!
    Weíre currently dealing with some personal chit...not feeling super social at the moment. I have chatted with you at Creekside pizza/tavern.

Resident Curmudgeon
    About to turn 62. Been riding bikes since kindergarten. I was a Stingray guy, then I became a roadie. I did a lot of the Saturday Moring Rides out of the Santa Cruz Yacht Harmor in the early 80s. Then I got one of the first Fisher Hoo Koo E Koos and got hooked on dirt. Currently I do 20-30 mile road rides after work each night and try to get in early morning dirt on the weekends before the honey do's kick in. I have managed to ride the past year without busting a helmet in a crash

this was my last good biiff. I still sort of bounce and not break

https://youtu.be/Uhd0SthRdWc
    Warning: Consumption of alcohol may make you think the person on the barstool next to you is attractive

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12