Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Lemurian Shasta Classic

WOW...that was truly one of the BEST races I've done...the course was "Epic"...the group that put it on was fantastic...it was very well staffed and organized...The scenary was spectacular, what a place to ride and live. I have just a couple of pic.s...got one of NoBalance, myself, and the parking lot...my flickr site has more as well, it's linked on my blog.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    That second hill climb was brutal. The downhills were fun, lost my brakes on the first one and got friendly with some manzanita. The course was in awesome shape, little to no dust and great traction. Can't get much better.

mtbr member
    What an awesome day or racing, the conditions were perfect! The climbing was brutal I must agree, but the downhills were well worth it. I must admit that I had to stop a couple times to really figure out which way the trail went, but other than that the race was a blast. Thanks to everyone to put the race together!

Lusus Naturae
    The past three weeks have been a rollercoaster for racing: NVDC, Sea Otter and then Lemurian. Basically you can say Sea Otter was the easy race sandwiched between a rock and a hard place.

At 5200 ft of climbing, I knew this wasnt going to be a walk in the park. OUCH! The weather threatened but in all honesty it was not a factor. What really surprised me were the number of rather steep and sketchy descents. While not as sandy as NVDC, they were pretty technical in places. After the smoothness of Fort Ord races and riding a new Epic bike mostly this year, this race was a wake up call for the rougher races to come.

Anyway, the initial climb was somewhat steep and long. Most of the people I was with, which was the latter 1/3rd of the pack, were doing a professional-slowness granny-gear ride up the hill, tinkering on the edge of losing balance going up the hill. The reward for all this pain was Gas Can. What, catch your breath? Not really. Lots of people were slowing and stopping and random spots in the trial .. something I ended up doing once or twice as well.

After that, it was nice to be on the pavement. From there I believe there was lots of fun single track, and even what appeared to be an old flume trail (canal trail?) that was the best part of the entire course, hands-down.

Loved the cold creek crossings, specially the one you HAD to walk across about 20 feet worth. I was fortunately in good enough shape at the point to climb most of the trail going up the mountain, until at some point on Recliner it makes a sharp right and goes straight up the hill for a while. I rubbed my eyes to make sure I was not having an NVDC nightmare but all that did was add sweat and salt.

After a couple miles of hiking (I need to stop this hiking-with-a-bike thing), it was finally time to head downhill on singletrack ... yeah! Well no. Lots of breaking and sketchiness followed, with a couple stretches of nice downhill single-track thrown in. Definitely easier on a stumpy, but whatever, no excuses. I stunk it up. My front fork (100mm) took its full travel at least 3 times.

On the last fireroad climb the cramps came in and I began the ride/walk process I had perfected at Boggs III. Very disappointed in the 4hour time for this course, but all in all not much worse than expected, now that I've seen the course first-hand.

Great job by the volunteers .. many of them on the course, always enough water and fruits. The accelerade at the final rest stop was pretty sad though ... best to go with just gatorade IMHO. Otherwise, great event - thanks a lot!!
    Last edited by NoBalance; 04-28-2008 at 12:47 PM.

OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee

Umm

What they all said.

Awesome race, thanks Ron!

Kind of a poor showing from me mechanical wise. Dropped my chain before I even got off the pavement. Then turns out 1x9 was a bit of a mistake on this course.

The other oops was the fact that I didn't check my brake wear before the race and wound up totally smoking my brakes by the end of the first downhill...

I haven't seen the final results yet but overall I think I was middle of the pack on the long course. I know there were some parts where I could have done better and picked up 5-10 minutes but without knowing the course and with arguably very little experience racing I don't think that's too bad (considering the long course is the 'expert' course).

As for the course itself... this is truly a mountain bikers mountain bike technical downhills, swoopy singletrack. Awesome.

mtbr member
    Ogre it was nice meeting you there...darn the luck huh...I smelled my brakes about 2/3 down the first downhill....so decided to lay off them as much as possible, way fun! 1x9,yikes, tough when your not ready for it...I did the SS thing myself, that first climb was a kick in the ass. I started up it pretty good, made it about 1/2 or little more, than crapped out...followed one of the girls on the Hamna (I think that was the name) I liked the saying on the back of the Jersey about following to the hilltop then it's beer time...unfortunately I didn't make it to the top behind her (least not that hill) wasn't until about a hill on mile 12-13 that I caught up. Saw one of her team mates go over the cliff side on the first ridge run after the first long ascent...he was SO lucky, he grabbed a small tree just as he went over, saved his arse..but man his bike went down and oh trying to get it back up the hill, must of lost 15-20 minutes to the ride...

this ride sure reminded me of some good ole home techy riding...loved the water crossings, DH, rocks, single track was FANTASTIC!!!!! It was so smooth and flowing...the I-9's cruzed so smooth this race, no binding with the brakes, and the 6 paws made just the right sound to un-nerve those in front that they just pulled over when they heard them "spinning" in coast behind them... helped on the single track from having to slow down..

I agree totally with you NoBalance...by the last LOOOOOONNNGGGGGG climb I got sick and tired of the hike a bike...I keep waiting for the day that I am as strong as those pulling down the 2-2.5 hour runs and be able to climb it ALL...figure I have 15 months of riding a bike under my belt so in about another 12-15 I might be getting there...

Well next weekend should "grind" some condiditoning in me at the Cool24...c-ya all there, keep the rubberside down...and don't forget
    "Old Guys Rule"

rj2
    mtbr member

We the people ...

2nd place, 45–54, Intermediate course, 2:26 and change

Wow, I thought the Napa Valley Dirt Classic was difficult. This race started out with a climb tougher than Kennedy, a descent rougher, but shorter than Dog Meat, and there were two of each.

I knew that previous winners times were in the 2:30 range, so I set out with that in mind. I've raced Whiskeytown, but that race doesn't have the gut busting climbs and white knuckle descents like Lemurian. I changed tires from 1.9 knobby front, 1.9 semi slick rear, to 1.95 WTB ExiWolfs. I never would have made it down in one piece on Gas Can or Couch with the semi slick. Thanks, Ron.

We arrived Friday afternoon, with only enough time to preview the short course. The single track descent down Brandy Creek was sweet, and I anticipated major beginner carnage that luckily didn't occur.

There was one single track section along the hill that required a dismount. I carried my bike on high side (wrong) and started pedaling on the low side (wrong again). I slipped, unclipped and put my foot down the hill to arrest my fall. My saddle got caught on a sapling and I fought to free myself and my bike, cursing all the while.

Ron, thanks for the great event and the hospitality. I plan on making this an annual event.

Richard
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by rj2; 04-29-2008 at 03:21 PM.
    We take care of your technology needs so you can focus on what's important.

mtbr member
    That was my first real race... and i loved it!! I had never been to Whiskeytown before, and the trails were awesome. The whole atmosphere was great! Thanks to everyone who planned and volunteered It really helped me to see a smiling face at almost every intersection. And somehow my wife timed it just right to be driving over the dam at the same time I was so she could yell for me

I can't wait to go again next year. I will definitely do the long course!

Quote Originally Posted by 0gre
    Kind of a poor showing from me mechanical wise. Dropped my chain before I even got off the pavement. Then turns out 1x9 was a bit of a mistake on this course.
    I made the same stupid decision. I only own a middle chainring, because I have been too cheap to buy a granny or a bashring or anything. Dropped my chain a bunch of times, the last time right before the finish by the boulders. So frustrating. Also, 1x8 with a 11-30t cassette and 34t chainring doesn't leave me with any good gears for a steep, sustained climb.

I guess that wasn't my only stupid decision. I forgot to refill my second bottle at the last stop. I suddenly cramped so bad near the top of the last climb that I fell off the bike with my leg locked straight out. Thank goodness for soft pine needles. I spent the rest of the ride getting off and stopping every time I felt the cramps coming back. My time decent, but now I know I can do a lot better next year

mtbr member
    NoBalance, did you post up your GPS? Curious how it looks with all the elevation changes.

Lusus Naturae
    Here is the motionbased link to all my rides ... lemurian is the first one on the list.

http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/user/krismb

You can also do a search for other, more respectable results.

RJ2, intermediate course? come on now!

mtbr member
    Thanks, NoBalance...Love that device, very excellent training tool...man you've really put in the elevation gain this year...really out doing last year...gott think of getting one of those...

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Being that this was my first race, I didn't know what to expect, and having never riding whiskeytown i really didn't know what to expect. Being from the area and having ridden motorcycles for the last 5 years, I knew what the potential was. Climbing sucks, especially when you aren't prepared for it. I wasn't expecting that amount of steep nor length. Seemed like it went straight up, then straight back down. More pedaling would be nice, from my inexperienced standpoint. I walked 75% of the second climb, if I was able to pedal it, I could have saved some time. Looks like I will have to go back out there and do those climbs a few more times individually instead of both on the same day. Down hill was my strength, I could pass people on the downhills or lose them if they were behind me. Overall I was happy to finish in just over 3 hours on the intermediate course, not first but not last either.

Loved the chutes on the backside of the second climb. I need to get out there and learn the trails and names.

mind taking
    Waking up at camp, right on the lake.
    Coffee and registration in the tent
    Starting line
    Snow in the mountains
    After the race, hungry, tired, and read for next year.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by 0gre
    turns out 1x9 was a bit of a mistake on this course.
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who made that mistake. I cracked my FS frame last week and had to switch to my HT 1x9 with a 34 up front. Too much walking, but a great time.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

I gotta ask you.

Quote Originally Posted by MichiganMat
    Waking up at camp, right on the lake.
    Coffee and registration in the tent
    Starting line
    Snow in the mountains
    After the race, hungry, tired, and read for next year.

Are you glad you didn't take the cross bike?

mind taking
    Oh man, like I mentioned on the other Lemurian thread (shasta lemurian thread, this race was probably the most difficult, dangerous, and exciting thing I've ever experienced in my entire life. I pushed myself to the limit for just over 3hrs and barely survived.

Lemurian is real mountain racing, I can't imagine riding it on a hardtail or rigid, no way.

YESBRO!!!
    note to self for next year, bring bike with disc's.

lost my rear v brake 1/3 of the way down the 2nd downhill.

also, shifting into your spokes sucks.

2012 Race: April 28th!

Best Lemurian Evaaaaar!

Thanks to everyone who came out to Whiskeytown and raced. We had 330 riders which was a record turnout. It sounds like lots of people were visiting Whiskeytown for the first time and were pleasantly surprised. I'm glad everyone had fun, I know I did!
    One of the benefits of living in a small town is that Lemurian makes front page of the sports section in the local paper. http://www.redding.com/news/2008/apr/27/nirvana/

They even printed results on Sunday, but apparently they don't make that page available on the web. Speaking of results, they should be posted on our website soon.
    www.shastalemurian.com!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by datenschwanz
    shifting into your spokes sucks.
    Yes, I had that joy at mile 23...

Busted!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by jmjones
    Yes, I had that joy at mile 23...
    I almost did that just at the bottom of the second climb, saved it at the last second. It would have been my breaking point for sure. That would have been 3 XT Shadow derailleurs in 4 weeks! I swear Im going to put on a bash ring and deal without the 44t just to save myself the expense and insanity that is cross-shifting.

mtbr member
    Thats why I've been toughing it through with the SS...tired of mechanicals...love the simplicity...the climbs were murder but each week I get stronger...I rode my gears during Sea Otter and impressed myself with how much stronger I have gotten, then BAM! a friggin mechanical...the bikes been in the shop since 4/20/08, and they called today to say it's ready to pickup...I'm doing Cool with my SS too...getting awful used to it...I charged to strong on the first climb and didn't have enough to climb it all had to "hike-a-bike" about half of it...oh well...This was truly EPIC though...I ran across one of ya with no rear brake...tough way to go down huh...

rj2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NoBalance
    RJ2, intermediate course? come on now!
    I'm in for the Sport NorCal series. I'm planning on being fast enough for my expert upgrade next year.

This is the first time I've been accused of sandbaggery this year. I'm finally feeling faster.
    We take care of your technology needs so you can focus on what's important.

Lusus Naturae
    Quote Originally Posted by rj2
    I'm in for the Sport NorCal series. I'm planning on being fast enough for my expert upgrade next year.

This is the first time I've been accused of sandbaggery this year. I'm finally feeling faster.
    Not accusing at all. When I saw your time in an earlier post I was just automatically thinking the 26 mile course, and how good a time that was. A bit later I realized it was the 20 mile course and found it a bit puzzling why you'd ride it instead of the 26.

Also, didnt know the 20 miler was a "sport" category. I took the 26 mile course because I wanted the most bang for my buck, figuring the shorter courses were for more casual riders.

mtbr member
    Mind numbing pain! all just a blurr at 3:17. That was me peddling up with one leg up that last little fire road, the other cramped streight out, then both legs were cramped and the hard pushing was just a dream. I thought that i would hit the 2:50 mark. Ha. Unforgetable the real MTB deal, Hard tail was the winner and my ass the looosere. Great to meet all the MTBR guys. Good job on finshing the race.

OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
    Quote Originally Posted by NoBalance
    Not accusing at all. When I saw your time in an earlier post I was just automatically thinking the 26 mile course, and how good a time that was. A bit later I realized it was the 20 mile course and found it a bit puzzling why you'd ride it instead of the 26.

Also, didnt know the 20 miler was a "sport" category. I took the 26 mile course because I wanted the most bang for my buck, figuring the shorter courses were for more casual riders.
    That's one of the beauties of the Lemurian IMO, there is no "sport" or "expert". Just pick how many miles you want to race and roll. Sandbagging is a little silly. Personally, I can't understand why anyone would race 20 mile if they are capable of racing 26 but to each his own.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast