Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    2012 Race: April 28th!

Good job! Lemurian registration is open!

Saturday, April 28th marks the 20th running of the Lemurian, and the third year at Whiskeytown. I could be wrong, but I think that makes Lemurian the longest running mtn bike race in the country. The Lemurian is a tough race from both physical and technical skills standpoints. Like the Downievill Classic, fitness alone won't win this race. Superior bike handling skills are required to negotiate the many rock gardens, chutes and drops.

If you haven't heard about the Lemurian and are curious, follow the links below for writeups of last year's race.

Chris from SFist: http://www.sfist.com/archives/2006/0...n_the_pain.php

Team Motion Based pro rider Olivier Bock's writeup: http://team.motionbased.com/blog/200...5th-place-pro/

Merlin's race report: Shasta Lemurian Race Report:ouch!

Here are a couple of pics from last year. More pics available at the Lemurian website: www.shastalemurian.org
    Attached Images Attached Images
    www.shastalemurian.com!!

mtbr member
    Are you limiting ridership?

Quote Originally Posted by Brezzy
    Are you limiting ridership?
    The terms of our Whiskeytown permit say we have a 400 rider cap, however that's never been an issue. Last year we had just over 300. And we don't have the big corporate expo gig like some races, Lemurian is grass roots mtn bike racing at its best. And the consumption of post race adult beverages is allowed and even encouraged!
    www.shastalemurian.com!!

Here's a good pic of Mark Weir, 6th last year, railing the Ice Box section.
    www.shastalemurian.com!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Hey Lemurian Guy - I am soooo stoked to do this race again! This will be my 3rd year in a row. The course is awesome, the people & venue are great. Truely a classic. I have only one complaint..... for the last 2 years, the T-Shirts were....uhhhh..... lets just say that after coming home, my wife pulled the T outta my bag, gave me this look, and without a word tossed it right in the rag bin..... and I didn't complain..... Could you just make 'em white or gray or something kinda normal. Or, at least post a pic before we all order 'em in advance. No offense, I LOVE Lemurian!

Quote Originally Posted by marinrider
    Hey Lemurian Guy - I am soooo stoked to do this race again! This will be my 3rd year in a row. The course is awesome, the people & venue are great. Truely a classic. I have only one complaint..... for the last 2 years, the T-Shirts were....uhhhh..... lets just say that after coming home, my wife pulled the T outta my bag, gave me this look, and without a word tossed it right in the rag bin..... and I didn't complain..... Could you just make 'em white or gray or something kinda normal. Or, at least post a pic before we all order 'em in advance. No offense, I LOVE Lemurian!
    Sorry about the t-shrts, but I'm glad you like the course. You're the first person I've heard of who (or your wife is) didn't like the past 2 year's shirts. Most people really, really liked the '05 black one with the blue art deco bike logo. And last year's shirt had my current chain ring avatar as the logo, which I thought was cool, with a teal blue shirt (maybe not so cool). I guess that's why they have 31 flavors at B & R.

My advice to you is not to preorder a shirt this year as we're going for another art deco/modern art type of look. The final design isn't quite finished yet, but I know it will be a teal blue logo on a charcoal shirt. The logo is a mtn biker crossed up while jumping, side view. When the logo is done we'll post it on the website and I'll use it as an avatar. We'll have some shirts available for purchase on race day.

Do you ride long course? I'm going to Whiskeytown tomorrow to do some "course research" for a potential addition to the long course for 2008. I've got an additional loop in mind immediately after the Couch that's 4-5 miles long, adds maybe 800 ft of elevation gain, and is 100% singletrack. My concern is that adding another climb would make the already difficult long course way too hard. Of course if everyone knew about the added distance beforehand, they could save some energy for the end. I want feedback from riders before I make the decision, so any input is appreciated. Merlin, I'd like to hear your opinion when you get a chance.
    www.shastalemurian.com!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Long course for sure baby! This year I plan on doin' it on my SS, though that first climb is gonna be a b!tch! Anyway, more singletrack is always more better.... You could add another category, "Longer Course" or "Really Long Course"......

Long Course on a SS!

I can't ride all of the first climb on my SS either, and top of the Couch usually sees me pushing too. I was thinking of naming the extra loop after 2x winner Tim Olson, he doesn't even seem to notice when the trail turns up!
    www.shastalemurian.com!!

OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee

Longer

Quote Originally Posted by LemurianGuy
    I can't ride all of the first climb on my SS either, and top of the Couch usually sees me pushing too. I was thinking of naming the extra loop after 2x winner Tim Olson, he doesn't even seem to notice when the trail turns up!
    I would love a longer route, folks like Merlin will certainly hand me my arse on a platter no matter how many miles it is so the longer the better Then I've never done the race so what do I know. Not registered yet, discussing with the boss first.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Ron Ron Ron. What are we going to do with you.

Making people going up the Chimney after coming off the couch would be about the most evil thing you could do. Sounds like a perfect thing for the lemurian

But seriously. I know I would have a hell of a time with it. Last year I suffered from cramps. But I guess that just means I have to train harder. The added downhill is probably the most fun section, so I am sure if people don't die, then they will be thanking you for it after.

Nate

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Ron, you only get credit for what, 4 years, it doesn't count if you take a year off to procreate! You can come on down to the Cool Mountain Bike Race in March, 15 years solid this year, I think we may get the lead as longest continuous!
    Gonna get some 24 hour races out of the way early this year so we can come up and do your race, might even dust off the tandem! The Lemurian is a great race folks, do it!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I don't know all the names for the trails, but do you mean after finishing the Couch (Salt Gulch?) then you would head uphill on Rich Gulch and then down Brandy Creek to the finish? I've never ridden it that direction, but it's probably adding another 10-15 minutes to the course at least. We called that trail "Ripping Singletrack Action." A couple of months ago I rode up there with Aren Timmel and Mike Andres and a couple of other guys and we climbed up the trail toward Brandy Creek Falls, then right before the falls we took a left up some switchbacks and down Rich Gulch I think it was. Super fun. Then we made the mistake of riding UP the Couch, then up to Kanaka peak. Lots of steep climbing. Definitely better in the downhill direction! Maybe tomorrow I'll head up there and scout that extra loop to see what I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Digginit
    I don't know all the names for the trails, but do you mean after finishing the Couch (Salt Gulch?) then you would head uphill on Rich Gulch and then down Brandy Creek to the finish? .
    Yep, that's exactly the proposed new section. I've ridden it in that direction only once, before the new switchback trail was finished. I'll be out there tomorrow afternoon, we're starting around 12:45, maybe we'll run into each other.

Its too late to change the entry forms, maps, etc for this year, so perhaps in 2008. Just so you know, MIKE SIMPSON strongly suggested this addition. Feel free to heap verbal abuse on him next time you see him. I'd written this idea off a couple of years ago after being convinced the course is hard enough as is.
    www.shastalemurian.com!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Allan
    Ron, you only get credit for what, 4 years, it doesn't count if you take a year off to procreate! You can come on down to the Cool Mountain Bike Race in March, 15 years solid this year, I think we may get the lead as longest continuous!
    Gonna get some 24 hour races out of the way early this year so we can come up and do your race, might even dust off the tandem! The Lemurian is a great race folks, do it!
    Sean I was ready to race at Cool last year, I even spent the night before in Auburn. But I wimped out and headed for home when I saw all that fresh snow. Maybe I'll give a try this year since you're predicting temps in the high 70's!

Love to see you at Lemurian again, your tandem ride down the old Lemurian Chute is legendary!
    www.shastalemurian.com!!

Quote Originally Posted by 0gre
    I would love a longer route, folks like Merlin will certainly hand me my arse on a platter no matter how many miles it is so the longer the better Then I've never done the race so what do I know. Not registered yet, discussing with the boss first.
    I think you'll find the current version of the course pretty challenging. And it would be a nice intro to Whiskeytown, since I don't think you've ridden there before, right? Maybe Chum, Rensho, and crew would be interested too? The rest of the Redding crew will be here, and maybe Chris too, so it could be an MBO reunion/preview!
    www.shastalemurian.com!!

OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee

Can't promise anyone else

I think you'll find the current version of the course pretty challenging. And it would be a nice intro to Whiskeytown, since I don't think you've ridden there before, right? Maybe Chum, Rensho, and crew would be interested too? The rest of the Redding crew will be here, and maybe Chris too, so it could be an MBO reunion/preview!
    ... Char and I are going to be there. I don't know about anyone else. Most likely it'll be Air Ogre just like at MBO so if anyone from the East Bay or Sac is interested in catching a ride let me know.

No good

Quote Originally Posted by Loki
    Making people going up the Chimney after coming off the couch would be about the most evil thing you could do. Sounds like a perfect thing for the lemurian

But seriously. I know I would have a hell of a time with it. Last year I suffered from cramps. But I guess that just means I have to train harder. The added downhill is probably the most fun section, so I am sure if people don't die, then they will be thanking you for it after.

Nate
    I rode the intermediate course plus Chimney backwards yesterday. Here's the scoop: the lower half mile is rideable, but really steep and particuarly heinous after climbing over the Couch. Then its 1.5 mi of fun, rolling uphill, singletrack. It took us 25 minutes to top out at the 2 mile point, so I figure the pros could probably ride in 15 min. So far so good! But the payoff isn't there in that the downhill switchback section is steep enough that you have no choice but to skid your back tire much of the way. Then you ride down the Brandy Cr Falls trail which is a fast, wide open freeway with nothing interesting or fun. So I'm giving that idea the thumbs down

Nate, how about hanging a left at the bottom of Buck Hollow, just after the last creek and following the creek/trail up and tying into the lower section of Mule Mtn? I haven't been that way for a while, but remember it being pretty rocky and wet. What do you think?
    www.shastalemurian.com!!

OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee

Oh...

Quote Originally Posted by 0gre
    ... Char and I are going to be there. I don't know about anyone else. Most likely it'll be Air Ogre just like at MBO so if anyone from the East Bay or Sac is interested in catching a ride let me know.
    Incidentally I must be fashion blind because I think the Lemurian shirt you gave me at MBO is cool. The Blue is a nice departure from the blah white/ tricolor prints you get at avery other event. Wearing it right now

mtbr member
    Do you ride long course? I'm going to Whiskeytown tomorrow to do some "course research" for a potential addition to the long course for 2008. I've got an additional loop in mind immediately after the Couch that's 4-5 miles long, adds maybe 800 ft of elevation gain, and is 100% singletrack. My concern is that adding another climb would make the already difficult long course way too hard. Of course if everyone knew about the added distance beforehand, they could save some energy for the end. I want feedback from riders before I make the decision, so any input is appreciated. Merlin, I'd like to hear your opinion when you get a chance.
    Another 800 ft of climbing
    According to my Polar there was 4200 feet of climbing in last years long course, so that would be 5k. Thats a lot of climbing and much harder climbing then sea otter. Sounds good to me But, if I was putting on the race I would be concerned that it may be getting to hard. This may add another 1/2 hour or so to race times, and it's already the longest race with the exception of Sea Otter. Either way I'll be there
    Ride to eat, Eat to ride.

tjp
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

5,000 feet?

The original course (may the flume rest in peace...) was a 7,000 foot day, wasn't it? Longer. Harder. Bigger.

Great race and great course, no matter how you slice it. The Humboldt contingent is prepared.

And anything Mike likes is OK with me.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Another tough section

That would add about 450' or so of climbing (all good climbing, no hike-a-bikes), and the downhill is steep, then supper rocky, and your ridding through a stream a good portion of the time. I personally love that section because it offers one of the few good rock gardens around. But I'm not sure how popular it would be to others.

It's a bummer you can't send people up the chimney, the normal way, then maybe just cut out the upper ice box trail. But that would have long course riders going both ways on a portion of the road.

But in all honesty, the race is pretty darn brutal as is. But maybe little whiny boy in me that can still remember the pain of last years race.

Nate

YESBRO!!!
    do most people ride a hardtail or full suspension bike for this?

Quote Originally Posted by datenschwanz
    do most people ride a hardtail or full suspension bike for this?
    Most people ride the bike they're most comfortable on. Generally I'd say that's a full boinger.
    www.shastalemurian.com!!

YESBRO!!!
    how technical are the descents? i've not ridden at whiskeytown before. if you had to compare it to say, tahoe or santa cruz trails can you make any decent comparisons?

Quote Originally Posted by datenschwanz
    how technical are the descents? i've not ridden at whiskeytown before. if you had to compare it to say, tahoe or santa cruz trails can you make any decent comparisons?
    The course has everything from buff singletrack to gnarly rock gardens. Its more rugged than say Skeggs, but less rugged than Downieville. Couch is the biggest descent and its very steep and mostly smooth. The Icebox descent is rocky in spots but manageable. Regardless of which bike you ride, you'll want the other at times. Last year I rode the course numerous times without problem on my hardtail 29er. Saturday I rode my full sussy 29er and liked it. I'm pretty sure you're gonna want disc brakes on the Couch, maybe that'll help you decide?

FWIW last year Merlin rode his Blur rather than his hardtail. We'll be doing some prerides, almost certainly one will be Easter weekend, perhaps you can join us sometime?
    www.shastalemurian.com!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast