Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    2012 Race: April 28th!
    Here's the only pic I took on the Couch that turned out halfway decent. Can you tell that the trail is heavily shaded by the denseness of the forest?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    www.shastalemurian.com!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Anyone driving down from Oregon? I plan on heading down first thing on Saturday morning from the Ashland area. There is a slight chance I will head down Saturday night--but I doubt it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Course question

Ron, I went out and pre rode yesterday. Last year, after leaving Buck Hollow you had us go up that hike-a-bike to the start of the canal trail. I just took a look at the course map, and you have it marked that you stay on the road, and don't do the hike-a-bike. Which is it?

Exact same course as last year Nate. There's another minor mistake on the map too, the course goes down Peltier Rd to the bridge rather than taking the gnarly singletrack (the park superintendent hates that trail and won't let us use it!) Those map mistakes were there last year too, since they're so minor I haven't corrected the map.

I rode Saturday and saw a tree down on the 1st section of the Canal Tr. Did you see anything else that needs the attention of the park's trail crew? I thought the rain helped the course, it was getting way too dry. How was Couch on Sunday?
    www.shastalemurian.com!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by LemurianGuy
    Exact same course as last year Nate. There's another minor mistake on the map too, the course goes down Peltier Rd to the bridge rather than taking the gnarly singletrack (the park superintendent hates that trail and won't let us use it!) Those map mistakes were there last year too, since they're so minor I haven't corrected the map.

I rode Saturday and saw a tree down on the 1st section of the Canal Tr. Did you see anything else that needs the attention of the park's trail crew? I thought the rain helped the course, it was getting way too dry. How was Couch on Sunday?
    Yes, there is a huge tree down a little way up the Shasta Mine climb. It really needs taken care of because there are branchs sticking everywhere and its a pain the butt to get over.

The couch was pretty scetchy, as it had just poured the night before and just before I went out there. So a couple of sections where pretty mucky. With the weather forecast for this week, everything will be dried up by race day.

I took the right line on the trench of terror, but it was slow going because I had to make my way around a big root sticking out. Is it faster to enter on the left and head down that way now? I haven't took that line in forever.

I rode the Couch twice with Steve on Wed. Both times I took the right hand line but got bounced into the trench by that root. I just rode the trench for a little ways, then easily cut back to the right hand line, it was smooth sailing. Saturday I just started in the trench and about halfway down cut to the right, same place as Wed. It was quicker and a easy!
    www.shastalemurian.com!!

Vegan Athlete

Tarrs

What kinda tires would previous racers recommend to little ol' me. I'll be on my geared hardtail, carbon stays, 4" front travel.
    I've got a 1.9 grippy little SOB from Maxxis.
    A fast rolling, tiny knobbed fella from Panaracer.
    A fat bicth with big knobs from Schwalbe. This is my D-ville tire.

From what i've read there the decomposing granite soil calls for bigger knobs, no low profile. But, it sounds like there are not too many rocky sections, so I could go with a smaller profile tire.

Thoughts?

Thanks kindly.
    Take a look at and consider "liking" my Vegan Athlete Facebook page.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by vuduvgn
    What kinda tires would previous racers recommend to little ol' me. I'll be on my geared hardtail, carbon stays, 4" front travel.
    I've got a 1.9 grippy little SOB from Maxxis.
    A fast rolling, tiny knobbed fella from Panaracer.
    A fat bicth with big knobs from Schwalbe. This is my D-ville tire.

From what i've read there the decomposing granite soil calls for bigger knobs, no low profile. But, it sounds like there are not too many rocky sections, so I could go with a smaller profile tire.

Thoughts?

Thanks kindly.
    There are plenty of rocks. But I know a few people who will probably run racer boy tires. But it's not the norm around here. I run the same tires around here as I would in Downiville. But thats just for riding and not racing. You might get away with a small pinner tire.

Ron, I see what your saying. I think I'll drop in on the left then head right.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Question re: intermediate course

Is this the same course as the one in the 2001 (?) race (the year before it moved to French Gulch)? Is the Chute still part of the course?

Elise this is a totally different course from 2001. Its at Whiskeytown Natl Rec. Area west of Redding. Its mostly decomposed granite, a few rock gardens, some steep spots both uphill and downhill. And its fairly shaded. You'll like it, its similar to French Gulch with more singletrack.

Tires: Vudu I expect the soil to be somewhat moist and grippy on Saturday, not loose and sandy. But it depends on how quickly the trail dries, today it was wetter than I expected. I like smaller closely spaced knobs for those conditions, I've been using Ignitors lately and think they hook up pretty well.
    www.shastalemurian.com!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Tires are a personal choice--of course. My rule of thumb for riding or crushed decomposed granite it the harder the knobs the better. The more the side knobs the better.

Decomposed granite is like riding on marbles when it is dry. Sticky tires will have nothing to stick to.

Nate I think the fastest line is to stay to the right of the tree, then cut left into the trench before the big root, then back to the right at the easy bail out spot. If you stay to the left of the tree there's a pretty big initial drop and you gather lots of speed that I found a bit hard to control.
    www.shastalemurian.com!!

Medals!

Here's a preview of the 2007 Lemurian medals. Hopefully I'll be awarding these to lots of MTBR members. Active.com registration closes Thursday at noon, but we'll be taking registrations Friday eve until 7:00 at the event site and also on race day.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    www.shastalemurian.com!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

3 deep

Ron, are you going three deep this year with placing in the SS field?

Because the single speed field is so big, we'll go at least 3 deep. If I remember correctly, the purple ones are for ss.
    www.shastalemurian.com!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    So how many of us SS'ers are there? What gear are people running? I think I'm going with a 32X18 (26er).

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Good gear

Quote Originally Posted by marinrider
    So how many of us SS'ers are there? What gear are people running? I think I'm going with a 32X18 (26er).
    Of course it depends on the person. A friend of mine is running 32x16 26er. And another friend is running 32x19.

Its a tough course to pick a gear for because a lot of the climbing is very steep, but there is also a couple long level sections.

Nate

YESBRO!!!
    can i hook up a ride from SF?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3