Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2004

29er full suspension?

What kind did you get?

2012 Race: April 28th!
    I bought a meduim Asylum frame on ebay, added a Reba set at 100mm, XO shifters, avid mech brakes, xt hubs, Salsa X nondisc rims, Exi's with Stans. Haven't weighed it, but am guessing around 28lbs. I love it, it climbs pretty well and totally eats bumps on downhills! And I thought I was done with full boingers!
    www.shastalemurian.com!!

Let's ride SuperModerator
    Ron, how brutal is the course. I don't know any of those names, and can't decipher.

I said I wasn't going to race this yr, but maybe i can go up and ride(with a number).

When you say steep downhill, am I walking?

I'll be on my rigid SS Niner. Is that going to be comedic? I don't fit on an Asylum, so I curse you for being taller than me.
    I do have a 1x9 Niner that has a Reba if you feel that would really benefit.

Any race that Weir places only 6th is an interesting one to me.

Ron, do you have a lifetime supply of Exis? Why those tires? Only terrain I've heard they're good for is snow!

menace to myself & others
    Aug 2005
    And Murphy, if you race it, I'll race it!

(whining deleted)
    Last edited by sashax; 01-22-2007 at 05:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rensho
    Ron, how brutal is the course. I don't know any of those names, and can't decipher.

I said I wasn't going to race this yr, but maybe i can go up and ride(with a number).

I'll be on my rigid SS Niner. Is that going to be comedic? I don't fit on an Asylum, so I curse you for being taller than me.

If I was racing Lemurian I'd do it on my hardtail. The "brutal" part of the course is the climbing. 4200 ft of vertical isn't that much when you're jammin along in the middle ring on a fire road. But when some of it is in granny gear on steep singletrack it tends to take its toll. The "big climb", about 5 miles worth, starts halfway into the race around mile 12 after you've survived tough 1.5 mile and .5 mile grinds and a bunch of rollers. And it gets steeper and tougher towards the top. But there's a big payback for all the climbing! The Couch is steep and narrow in spots, but pretty smooth and fast. If you keep your weight back some and go easy on the front brake its pretty manageable. The guy below is riding the so called "Trench of Terror" section . You can see that as long as you follow the line and stay out of the ditch you're fine. Next comes the Ice Box, which is a fun singletrack that follows Brandy Cr down to the lake. Towards the beginning of Ice Box is particuarly nasty little fire road, maybe only .3 miles, but its steep enough to make you dig deep in order to keep your pace up.

Thom you'd have no problem on your rigid ss. Loki (Nate) rode a rigid ss and finished well under 3 hrs...amazing!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    www.shastalemurian.com!!

Ron, do you have a lifetime supply of Exis? Why those tires? Only terrain I've heard they're good for is snow!
    Whiskeytown's soil is mostly decomposed granite. I think the Exi's work really well in that type of dirt, wet or dry. I recently learned that Exi's SUCK in sticky mud and would welcome your suggestions. I don't think I can fit anything wider in the rear on the Asylum, but the Voodoo ht has plenty of room.
    www.shastalemurian.com!!

YESBRO!!!
    game on.

Quote Originally Posted by LemurianGuy
    Whiskeytown's soil is mostly decomposed granite. I think the Exi's work really well in that type of dirt, wet or dry. I recently learned that Exi's SUCK in sticky mud and would welcome your suggestions. I don't think I can fit anything wider in the rear on the Asylum, but the Voodoo ht has plenty of room.
    For the front, you might try the Nevegal. It is soft and sticky, and doesn't let go like the Exi does.

The rear, the klaw has a great rep for mud. I don't have first hand experience on that one.

The Exi certainly is the hardest and lasts the longest.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

World of difference.

I know you have a stock of exis you need to use. But I'll tell you, if I had 5 brand new exi's, I would trade them all for one Rampage. And I've heard that the nevegal is even a little better (grip wise). They have some nevegals down at Chain Gang. I am running a continental vapor for a rear tire in the mud. The tire is small volume wise, but it seems to hook up in the soupy mud we have had lately, and it sheds it really well.

As for running a fully rigid single speed. I was in pure pain on the couch descent, I am not sure if that hurt worse, or the cramping I had climbing up that last section of fire road. But I'm going to be back out there again this year with the same set up, so it couldn't have been that bad right??

mtbr member

FWIW last year Merlin rode his Blur rather than his hardtail.
    I like my Blur XC so much that I don't own a Hardtail anymore Except my SS..
    This is a FS course for sure and don;t use super light tires or you may flat. I was happy with Pannaracer Fire XC's last year
    Ride to eat, Eat to ride.

YESBRO!!!
    is the course open to riding now?

Quote Originally Posted by datenschwanz
    is the course open to riding now?
    The course is open year round, its 100% within the boundaries of Whiskeytown NRA. Give me a shout if you're coming this way, you'll need some tips with route finding as the maps of the area are inadequate.
    www.shastalemurian.com!!

NedwannaB

No prob for you rensho

I missed out last year, but if my memory serves me well, '05 I got passed by several SS'rs up and down. You'd probably have to use 32/19-20 for this course. There's a road section that you might spin a little on, after the first ascent I think. Other then that the SSNiner will shine.

It's always greener
    CChhhhaaa-ching

you can count me in on this one. the Couch of Death, the Trench of Terror, damn, it's gonna hurt.

Most Delicious
    how about hanging a left at the bottom of Buck Hollow, just after the last creek and following the creek/trail up and tying into the lower section of Mule Mtn? I haven't been that way for a while, but remember it being pretty rocky and wet. What do you think?
    Ugh. If it's wet that section would suck. Nothing like stumbling up wet rocks against the current. And I'm sure Whiskeytown would love it if you sent 300 racers up that stream in spring. You might as well set up a sluice just to the right of the trail crossing and see if you get any gold washing downstream.

Adding the extra Chimney section to the long course would at least make the medium course more medium in comparison!

Salt Creek Trail

I rode that trail yesterday, pretty sure its called Salt Cr. trail. It wasn't too bad, but then it hasn't rained for a month. Its seen a fair amount of horse traffic, so when it rains it not gonna be gold that washs down stream. If it doesn't rain much before race day, its not a bad option even though there are 2 hike-a-bike sections. There's a big payoff in that the single track downhill on the lower Mule Mtn trail is really fun! I'm open to suggestions on how to make the long course a few miles longer, but I can't think of any options that would be fun.
    www.shastalemurian.com!!

Most Delicious
    I rode that trail yesterday, pretty sure its called Salt Cr. trail. It wasn't too bad, but then it hasn't rained for a month. Its seen a fair amount of horse traffic, so when it rains it not gonna be gold that washs down stream. If it doesn't rain much before race day, its not a bad option even though there are 2 hike-a-bike sections. There's a big payoff in that the single track downhill on the lower Mule Mtn trail is really fun!
    Yeah, the singletrack back down is really good. If it stays dry that could be a nice addition for the long course.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

ohhhh

you meant go up salt creek. Yuck on the way up. But fun on the way down.

New Bridge at Whiskeytown

Because we had a well attended race last year, the Lemurian was able to donate $2,500 to Whiskeytown. This money was used to construct a bridge ON THE COURSE at a spot on the Ice Box where a dismount was required last year. Thanks to everyone who rode Lemurian last year. We're hoping to make a similar donation this year to improve the riding at Whiskeytown.
    www.shastalemurian.com!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Nice bridge LG! I think I remember where that was. Though I remember another dismount through a big creek crossing where a bridge might be nice too. I've only ridden the course twice so I don't know all the trail names so well, but I remember bombing down some sweet singletrack and having to screach to a halt, dismount, cross some big drop down into a creek. Then I think we hit a short steep FR climb where I cramped severely..... Maybe if you get a good turnout again this year, that could be the next bridge....

I'm all registered and ready to race (well except for the fitness....) Anyway, I'm looking forward to it. I think of this event as one of the highlights of my season

Quote Originally Posted by marinrider
    I remember bombing down some sweet singletrack and having to screach to a halt, dismount, cross some big drop down into a creek. Then I think we hit a short steep FR climb where I cramped severely..... Maybe if you get a good turnout again this year, that could be the next bridge....

I'm all registered and ready to race (well except for the fitness....) Anyway, I'm looking forward to it. I think of this event as one of the highlights of my season
    I think that's a good candidate for the next bridge. The Park Service is very open to suggestions which is amazing for a government agency! Thanks for the kudos Marinrider, hope you have a great race!
    www.shastalemurian.com!!

Lemurian Update

With the race only 10 days away its time for an update. I rode the course yesterday and can report that its in excellent condition. Well, truthfully yesterday it was a bit drier than I'd like to see. I think Whiskeytown rides best when its has rained the previous day. So the forecast for light rain the next couple of days is very welcome! For next week the long range forecast is calling for partly cloudy with highs in the mid 80's, it looks like the weather may be ideal if a little warm.

The lines on the Couch are setting up very well. There are even multiple lines developing in the scariest places. I got pushed into the so called Trench of Terror yesterday, which usually requires a dismount, however I rode the rut and exited the bottom with no problem. I tried again to take pics, but even at high noon its too shaded for my meager camera.

Pic 1 Steve on the climb in his Redding Velo jersey.
    Pic 2 Steve and his Niner riding a burm on the Couch
    www.shastalemurian.com!!

2007 T-Shirt

The t-shirts are done and once again I think they're pretty cool. Marinrider your wife will hate this one too , but I think everyone else will be pleased!

pic1 2007 t-shirt: charcoal gray with teal logo
    pic2 LemurianGuy with Whiskeytown Lake in the background.
    www.shastalemurian.com!!

mtbr member
    I just sent in my registration!
    Any suggestions for a nice hotel?
    Anyone want to share a room?
    Ride to eat, Eat to ride.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast