Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

Strategy

Ron,
    would it be safe to say that when we come up to a creek in the race to just get off the bike and try not ride it?
    Ride to eat, Eat to ride.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Well considering there are 13 that I can think of

I would just make that judgement when you come to the creek. There are 4 that I know I can't/wont be riding. Just hit them fast enough and your bike wont even get wet http://forums.mtbr.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

2012 Race: April 28th!
    Quote Originally Posted by merlin
    Ron,
    would it be safe to say that when we come up to a creek in the race to just get off the bike and try not ride it?
    No, don't do that! The creeks on the earlier part of the course in the Peltier Valley area were rideable yesterday, and should be even better by race day. There are 2 places that you rode last year that are now unrideable. One is at the end of the Couch, just before you hit the road. The other spot is in the second section of single track along Brandy Cr (the Icebox) about mile 23 into the race. Its easy to hop across with your bike, but there's no way to ride it. I'll post both spots with "X"'s to signify danger.

Nate, I thought the Ice Box looked pretty good. There's that one nasty spot with the awkward right turn at the bottom, but everything else was fine. I'll try to fix that spot next week, at least throw the loose rocks out of the way.

BTW, the 10 day forecast shows chance of light showers Fri/Sat but otherwise sunny with temps in the 70's, so the course should be primo!
    www.shastalemurian.com!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LemurianGuy
    I rode 100% of the ice box with the exception of the creek crossing where the dam used to be. They've got to put a bridge in there, the creek isn't deep and its possible to jump from one side to the other, but the sides are like 2 ft vertical...just no way (that I can imagine) to ride it.

I checked with my map guy who rode with us today about the elevation gain. He said folks regularly record 4600 - 4800 ft on the long course. It sure seems like more!

Oh yeah, the course report: The course is in pretty good shape - but you knew I'd say that. Seriously, it last rained on Sunday and the creek crossings today (Tuesday) were pretty manageable with the exception of the big creek half way up the final climb. That one is never rideable, even in August, but the water was say mid-calf or at least below my knee. Mud: yep there's mud, but its not 26 miles of goop. Its mostly dry with sections of standing water in the Clear Cr Canal trail. You can feel your tires sink into the goo as you ride through the water (not as deep as your hubs) but it never attacks your drive train. Instead it washes your lube away. I started getting ghost shifting after the flume section on the long course. At the bridge across Clear Cr (aid station #1) I reapplied chain lube (didn't even wipe my chain off) and I was good to go for the rest of the ride. If you forget your chain lube, the aid stations will have some along with some basic tools and a floor pump. The Couch descent was awesome! The snow is gone, and I managed to clean all the steep parts, a first for me! But be warned, the creek crossing just before you exit the Couch is unrideable, another creek with vertical walls. When we left Whiskeytown, I saw maybe 20 riders heading out. More traffic will only help the course!
    Thanks for all of the information it really helps my decision, can't see why people would choose to do the intermediate course. At least if I do the long course I won't get passed by the fast guys later, I'll just be behind the whole time

I'm looking forward to heading up there again.

-Derek

P.S. I'm glad to hear that it is only 4800 feet of climbing, my legs were cringing at the thought of 5900.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I rode the coruse with Ron aka "Lemurian Guy" yesterday. Most of the course was in great shape. All the standing water in the ditch trails were more of a nuisence than anything. We just went through much more slowly than usual. Its an area where last year one could get some rest before the final climbs but now felt like riding in molasas so a bit more effort. There were several sections with trees down that will hopefully be clear by race day.
    The couch had some serious new ruts in a few areas that no longer have a line but all in all it was in good shape. More riders will definatley reestablih a line.
    Oh, it may ony be 4800 feet, but to me it is tougher climbing than either of the old Lemurian courses. Shasta Dam had about 6500 feet and french Gulch closer to 7500 feet I am told. Probably because so much of it is steep, rocky, mushy or slippery pine needles or all of the above. As all past Lemurians, this one is truley epic. A real MOUNTAIN mountain bike race.

mtbr member
    No, don't do that! The creeks on the earlier part of the course in the Peltier Valley area were rideable yesterday, and should be even better by race day. There are 2 places that you rode last year that are now unrideable. One is at the end of the Couch, just before you hit the road. The other spot is in the second section of single track along Brandy Cr (the Icebox) about mile 23 into the race. Its easy to hop across with your bike, but there's no way to ride it. I'll post both spots with "X"'s to signify danger.

Nate, I thought the Ice Box looked pretty good. There's that one nasty spot with the awkward right turn at the bottom, but everything else was fine. I'll try to fix that spot next week, at least throw the loose rocks out of the way.

BTW, the 10 day forecast shows chance of light showers Fri/Sat but otherwise sunny with temps in the 70's, so the course should be primo!
    Sounds great!! There will 3 or 4 us from Nevada County at the race

mtbr member
    Merlin, I'll be leaving from nevada city as well. How long do you think it will take to get to whiskey town?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by iWiLRiDe
    Merlin, I'll be leaving from nevada city as well. How long do you think it will take to get to whiskey town?
    About 3 hours..

mtbr member
    Lemurian, will it be worth it to put on a fender? and I know it's usually fairly warm in that area, can i get away with a jersey, or do you recommend bringing wet weather riding gear? Also I am wondering if anyone knows of any cheap hotels in redding that are somewhat closer to the whiskey town area, i'm having problems getting through to the people at the hotel in the gulch. Any advice would be much appreciated!

I've been riding with fenders all winter, but I must be a weenie since none of my buddies use 'em. I'd skip the fenders on race day, the 10 day forecast shows very little rain so the course should be mostly dry.
    I think you'll be comfortable in a jersey, temps have been around 70 and the race tops out below 3000 ft.
    Downtown Redding is no further from Brandy Cr than French Gulch, plus you've got more selection of restaurants, etc. Not sure if the hotel has opened for guests yet this year, although I believe the restaurant is open for Sunday brunch. Chef Andy from the hotel is racing again, I think he's going long course this year!

I like the River Inn Motel, you can pedal to the Sundial Bridge if you like, has a restaurant and a few cool rooms that look out on a lagoon you might consider if you're bringing the missus. 800-995-4341 or reddingriverinn.com Other options: Motel 6 530 221-0562 a bit out of the way, Super 8 530 221-8881 near the freeway and all the franchise restaurants. Cheap downtown Redding options (the type of place that proudly advertises they have color tv!!) Americana Lodge 530 241-7020 and Thunderbird Lodge 530 243-5422, both just down the street from Pio Loco Restaurant, tasty upscale mexican food. Market St Manor, also downtown, advertises clean $39 rooms 530 241-9202.
    All of those places are about a 25 minute drive to Brandy Cr as is the FG hotel. Hope that helps!
    www.shastalemurian.com!!

Giant Bicycles Demo Day!

Giant will have a big bike demo weekend starting around mid-day Friday. The Giant rep is bringing more than a dozen mountain bikes for test riding. He'll have a booth at the start/finish area so you'll be able to take a test ride on the course Friday afternoon and Saturday. He'll also be around Sunday, either at Brandy Cr or at Chain Gang bike shop, check with him Fri/Sat for more details or call Chain Gang at 530 243-9951.
    www.shastalemurian.com!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Sweet

Giant will have a big bike demo weekend starting around mid-day Friday. The Giant rep is bringing more than a dozen mountain bikes for test riding. He'll have a booth at the start/finish area so you'll be able to take a test ride on the course Friday afternoon and Saturday. He'll also be around Sunday, either at Brandy Cr or at Chain Gang bike shop, check with him Fri/Sat for more details or call Chain Gang at 530 243-9951.
    Southfork here I come.

And on another note, you might already know but I guess we are all going to be meeting at 10 on sunday for the preride. I look forward to riding with you and Steve, its been awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by merlin
    Sounds great!! There will 3 or 4 us from Nevada County at the race
    That's great Merlin! Let me know if you need info/local knowledge.
    www.shastalemurian.com!!

Race day weather forecast

is for sunny and 80 degrees 0% chance of rain, i.e. perfect weather for racing! Wed, Thurs & Friday will also be dry, so the water in the Clear Cr Canal trail will be greatly diminished if not gone entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by Loki

And on another note, you might already know but I guess we are all going to be meeting at 10 on sunday for the preride. I look forward to riding with you and Steve, its been awhile.
    I'll be there Sunday, can't wait to see that new ss in person!
    Here's a pic of Loki from last spring negotiating a rock garden on the long course.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    www.shastalemurian.com!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I've ridden most of the course over the past week and its all looking good. There are a few downed trees (6" in diameter) which I expect to be cleared in plenty of time. I last road the lemurian in '98 (behind shasta dam) and must say that this course is nothing like it. The '98 downhill just beat me up. This one is still technical but a lot more fun...

As for creek crossings, all but two are rideable. I still expect to see some riders shouldering their bikes anyway... Mud? barely any. It's nothing like the Cool mountain bike race I did years ago (think of soggy cow pastures). You will have a fine layer of grit on your bike after the ride though (almost sand-like in consistancy) so don't expect to stay spotless

Most Delicious
    Some more map stuff attached. According to this program, the elevation gain is just under 4900'

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Some pictures of our Pre-ride yesterday

God this is one tough mother of a course. Just pre-riding it is hard. But we had a blast. Temps were probably in the mid 70's. Perfect. The forcast says 90 on race day, not so perfect. I only take comfort in the fact that no one will be used to the heat so we'll all be suffering.

The course is in great shape, I hope they take care of the couple of trees down on the canal trail.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

one more in the rocks

one more pic

Race is still open!

We still have plenty of space, reg at Active.com before Wednesday or sign up race day!

The forcast says 90 on race day, not so perfect. I only take comfort in the fact that no one will be used to the heat so we'll all be suffering.
    After all the rain we've had you deserve 10 lashes with a rusty chain for whining about the heat!

The course is in great shape, I hope they take care of the couple of trees down on the canal trail.
    I noticed it had dried out a lot in the 5 days since I'd last ridden it. Also seems the problem with the standing water in the ditch has been solved!! I'll tell the park guys about those trees, they're pretty good about that stuff, they cleared out a couple of big trees between Tues & Sunday. BTW nice pic of Ian on the high line in the lower Couch section!!
    www.shastalemurian.com!!

mtbr member
    We still have plenty of space, reg at Active.com before Wednesday or sign up race day!
    I signed up for the long course. Should be interesting, hopefully it doesn't hit 90 or I'll be crawling up the second climb.

What is the deal with the camping at the Dry Creek Group Campground? Are there any deals to camp there with the race, or should I should just camp at Oak Bottom?

We are planning on camping Friday and Saturday night.

-Derek

Quote Originally Posted by derek
    I signed up for the long course. Should be interesting, hopefully it doesn't hit 90 or I'll be crawling up the second climb.

What is the deal with the camping at the Dry Creek Group Campground? Are there any deals to camp there with the race, or should I should just camp at Oak Bottom?

We are planning on camping Friday and Saturday night.

-Derek
    Derek, there is a deal at Dry Creek for Friday night only of $5 per person. Dry Cr is a primitive facility with pit toilets. Oak Bottom has showers, lake side camping and good riding for beginners on up starting there. If you don't need showers, I suggest the campground on the bank of Clear Cr on Peltier Valley Rd. Its a pretty sight located below Whiskeytown Dam, also the location of the first aid station. To get there go down the hill on Paige Bar Rd just before you cross Whiskeytown Dam. Continue on the pavement for about a mile, then turn right on the first dirt rd you see. This is Peltier Valley Rd. Follow it down the hill and across the bridge, there are camp sites on the left and right sides of the road. Good riding from there too, you'll be able to reride some sections of the course if you like.
    www.shastalemurian.com!!

mtbr member
    I'll be on route to Redding later tonite, is there a shop that is doing checkins before race day?

mtbr member
    I'll be on route to Redding later tonite, is there a shop that is doing checkins before race day?
    According to the registration form on the webpage there is check-in on Friday from 5-8: (http://www.shastalemurian.org/PDF_Fi...onForm2006.pdf)

I cannot see that it says where I'm guess the Brandy Creek Boat Ramp?

I'm sure LemurianGuy will let us know.

-Derek

Derek:
    You're right, Brandy Cr boat ramp from 5-8. Come on out, get your race #'s and maybe ride a lap of the short course on a Giant demo bike. FYI I was out marking the course today, and its very dry. There still are a couple of mud holes, but everything else is very dry, you might even see some dust.

Please introduce yourself when you check in, its always nice to put a face with a name!
    Ron
    www.shastalemurian.com!!

Brandy Cr Marina tomorrow from 5-8. Come out early & ride the short course, and maybe take a dip in the lake!
    www.shastalemurian.com!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast