Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    2012 Race: April 28th!

Lemurian race reports & pictures

Post your Lemurian race reports and pictures here. I've got a few pictures already and will post more as I get them.

280 racers showed up Saturday morning under cloudless skies. Conditions were perfect, the course was DRY and fast. Results are posted at Shastalemurian.org
    Attached Images Attached Images
    www.shastalemurian.com!!

Winner Tim Olson

Time Olson took the win with a 2 1/2 minute gap over Aren Timmel. Both those guys are terrific riders and flew past me at the bottom of the 1st descent. Olson went by so fast I couldn't get my camera turned on in time.

1. Tim Olson at the finish being interviewed by the local newpaper
    2. Aren Timmel at the bottom of Gas Can with nobody in sight.
    www.shastalemurian.com!!

mtbr member
    Ill start this out by saying that the Lemurian is one of two races that Ill actually drive multiple hours to race in (Downieville being the other).

So the wife and I headed out of the Bay Area Friday at lunchtime and had smooth sailing up to Redding. Stopped at In-n-Out for dinner and then headed over, picked up my number at the Marina, then on to the Peltier Bridge campground and got a great site (thanks for the tip Ron). Set up the tent and talked a bit with the neighbors who were down from Washington to race too. Hit the sack early in hopes of getting a good night sleep.

Got up early and had a good breakfast and headed over to the Marina for the start. Rode around the parking lot just enough to loosen up the legs before the first climb. Promptly at 9 the race was on. The first climb and descent went really smoothly (was that you Ron on the road taking pictures?). Hit the pavement and was cruising across the dam, then onto the singletrack. About halfway through the Shasta Mine Loop I was starting to get hot (I really have problems in the heat) and decided that Id better reign it in to keep from overheating.

Soon enough I was descending Peltier Valley road to the bridge. Grabbed some orange slices and some water, and grabbed some chain lube from the car as the creek crossings were close to hub deep in spots (I did say it was a good place to camp, and my wife took a whole bunch of pictures there that Ill have to look through). I proceeded to dump a whole bunch of water on my head to try and cool off. Then the climb began, I was happy that I was able to ride almost all of the stuff up to the next aid station, where I repeated the orange slices and the water on the head. Soon after my race went to pot as the trail turned up the Recliner Trail, that 1 mile turned into a 35 minute hike-a-bike for me.

At that point I was tired but stoked to finally be cruising downhill. :-) The Couch Trail was really fun, although the X marks seemed a bit overrated.

I did get demoralized near the end after cruising downhill for so long, only to have to hike across the creek and up the side then to realize that the trail turned back up the fireroad. That hurt! Anyways soon enough I was at the finish line and I was glad to be finished. 4:14:32 which was good enough for 17/19 Senior 30-34. Not a great finishing time considering I was hoping for around 3:30, but I need to get a lot more hill-climbing in my legs.

Id really like to thank Ron and the crew who set this race up. All of the volunteers out on the course were really encouraging! The burritos at the finish were great too.

-Derek

swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by derek
    Ill start this out by saying that the Lemurian is one of two races that Ill actually drive multiple hours to race in (Downieville being the other).

So the wife and I headed out of the Bay Area Friday at lunchtime and had smooth sailing up to Redding. Stopped at In-n-Out for dinner and then headed over, picked up my number at the Marina, then on to the Peltier Bridge campground and got a great site (thanks for the tip Ron). Set up the tent and talked a bit with the neighbors who were down from Washington to race too. Hit the sack early in hopes of getting a good night sleep.

Got up early and had a good breakfast and headed over to the Marina for the start. Rode around the parking lot just enough to loosen up the legs before the first climb. Promptly at 9 the race was on. The first climb and descent went really smoothly (was that you Ron on the road taking pictures?). Hit the pavement and was cruising across the dam, then onto the singletrack. About halfway through the Shasta Mine Loop I was starting to get hot (I really have problems in the heat) and decided that Id better reign it in to keep from overheating.

Soon enough I was descending Peltier Valley road to the bridge. Grabbed some orange slices and some water, and grabbed some chain lube from the car as the creek crossings were close to hub deep in spots (I did say it was a good place to camp, and my wife took a whole bunch of pictures there that Ill have to look through). I proceeded to dump a whole bunch of water on my head to try and cool off. Then the climb began, I was happy that I was able to ride almost all of the stuff up to the next aid station, where I repeated the orange slices and the water on the head. Soon after my race went to pot as the trail turned up the Recliner Trail, that 1 mile turned into a 35 minute hike-a-bike for me.

At that point I was tired but stoked to finally be cruising downhill. :-) The Couch Trail was really fun, although the X marks seemed a bit overrated.

I did get demoralized near the end after cruising downhill for so long, only to have to hike across the creek and up the side then to realize that the trail turned back up the fireroad. That hurt! Anyways soon enough I was at the finish line and I was glad to be finished. 4:14:32 which was good enough for 17/19 Senior 30-34. Not a great finishing time considering I was hoping for around 3:30, but I need to get a lot more hill-climbing in my legs.

Id really like to thank Ron and the crew who set this race up. All of the volunteers out on the course were really encouraging! The burritos at the finish were great too.

-Derek
    Nice report man! What kind of bike where you on? So that race is that tough? Harder than downy XC?

francois

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by francois
    Nice report man! What kind of bike where you on? So that race is that tough? Harder than downy XC?

francois
    About 4 months ago I decided I'd had enough of the Moots and picked up the last close out Turner Burner at Supergo/Performance in Mountain View. (was able to turn a profit on that deal, so made the wife happy).

I would say it is tougher because the climbing is more spread out. The big climb starts at mile 16 and got tougher as you go, which ended with me hiking the last bit. Both are good races, just different.

I'm sure Merlin and others who are much faster than me can chime in too.

-Derek

Yep, Derek that was me at the bottom of Gas Can. I'm standing next to Tim Olson in the pic above, I wore that radio headset all friggin day! I was able to take pics of the first few guys, then we had an injured rider come down & some traffic control issues, so I got distracted.

As for the X's, the more people that ride it, the better the lines are on the Couch.You must be a pretty good descender, since it intimidates a lot guys their first time down.

Give me your race # and I'll keep an eye out for pics of you. I've got some pics from the second climb, the short steep one, and will have lots more from the Ice Box side this afternoon.
    www.shastalemurian.com!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LemurianGuy
    Give me your race # and I'll keep an eye out for pics of you. I've got some pics from the second climb, the short steep one, and will have lots more from the Ice Box side this afternoon.
    I was #91, I'll post some of the pictures my wife took too.

-Derek

mtbr member

-Derek
    I'm working on my race report...but to answer your question, this race is much harder then D-Viile. It akes a good 20 minutes longer to do and thats all climbing Much to hard for a roadie like you Francis
    Ever wonder what Lemurain Guy Looks like?
    Ride to eat, Eat to ride.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Glad you had a great event
    Look forward to seeing you up this way
    randy

Derek is this you?

Randy, I'm looking forward to riding in Oakridge again. I see you were riding my favorite trail, Middle Fork, with Shiggy!
    www.shastalemurian.com!!

mtbr member
    Derek is this you?
    Yep, that's me! Thanks for the picture. All those trails were new to me so I have no idea where you took that picture.

-Derek

swag ho Administrator
    About 4 months ago I decided I'd had enough of the Moots and picked up the last close out Turner Burner at Supergo/Performance in Mountain View. (was able to turn a profit on that deal, so made the wife happy).

I would say it is tougher because the climbing is more spread out. The big climb starts at mile 16 and got tougher as you go, which ended with me hiking the last bit. Both are good races, just different.

-Derek
    "Had enough of the Moots..." Therein lies the problem. You be going the wrong direction. You know your manly power is made for standing up.

I discovered the church of 29 and sold my turner:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MESO%3AIT&rd=1

You should join us on Kennedy hillclimb Wednesdays. Free socks for singlespeeders and roadies.

fc

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by francois
    "Had enough of the Moots..." Therein lies the problem. You be going the wrong direction. You know your manly power is made for standing up.

You should join us on Kennedy hillclimb Wednesdays. Free socks for singlespeeders and roadies.

fc
    True that my power is better spent standing up, unfortunately I can't stand up long enough for courses like the Lemurian.

Just found that there was too much similarity between the Moots and the SS, thereby decided to vary my stable and get a bike that I could spend all day on at places like Grouse Ridge and not be completely destroyed at the end of the day.

Unfortunately, I can't make the Kennedy hillclimbs. I'm going to try and start doing some early morning longish rides (Tues or Wed) on the way to work. Could be mountain or road if there is interest. Mountain rides would be up Steven's Canyon vicinity.

-Derek

mtbr member

My report is up...check it out

Shasta Lemurian Race Report:ouch!
    Ride to eat, Eat to ride.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Ron

Got any of pics me and yellow beast (#70), how about any of Clarenda (don't know her bib number).

I have to say this is a great course for single speeding. Through a good 70 percent of the course about 4 of us single speeders were mixing it up, it was a blast. I was going back and forth with Jude (a single speeder from Eureka) untill my legs cramped and I had to watch him ride away on the last road climb out of the first section of the ice box. Even with the cramping, I still had a awesome time.

And you know its a tough course when Mark Weir says its a climbers paradise.

Nate
    Last edited by Loki; 05-01-2006 at 05:37 PM.

1 Nate riding where others can only walk!
    2 Clarinda
    3 Ian
    www.shastalemurian.com!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

I love it

You can see the pain on all our faces..... oh how it hurt. I was riding then, but that guy on the IF dropped me right after satan's crack.

1 Ian on the Ice Box
    2 3 guys on Uni's rode the 8 mile course!
    3 Kevin Risse on the Risse Racing 29er frame rolling off a drop
    www.shastalemurian.com!!

A shot from the Couch. This trail faces north and has heavy tree cover, so its really dark, even in the middle of the day. Makes it really tough to get good pics. We're working on getting a site up to upload & download pics for free. I'll post that info when its up, also put up a link from Lemurian's website
    www.shastalemurian.com!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Cool! That's me in the pic - #88. This course was just awesome...so much fun it should be illegal.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Do you Race for Sycip?

Quote Originally Posted by Skratchy
    Cool! That's me in the pic - #88. This course was just awesome...so much fun it should be illegal.
    Just curious.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Yeah - I race for Sycip.

Quote Originally Posted by Loki
    Just curious.
    I'm riding a custom steel hardtail (can't really see it in the pic).

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Hey Ian - thanks for picking the sweet lines down the couch. If you remember, just after the section in the pic above there was that guy down in the rut to the right side. I did a track stand, you said "down the center", I said "go, go", you picked the line down the center, I jumped on your wheel for the rest of the ride down. Can't beat local knowledge of the trails eh

mtbr member
    I'm wondering how this race compares to the other race held out at Whiskeytown run by the guys from Humboldt. It seems like the Lemurian has a pretty good following and good interest from all over the state, while no one seems to pay much attention to the Team Bigfoot races. Maybe that's just my perception, dunno. Educate me please.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

It's all about the post-race glow

Lemurian is put on by a very enthusiastic team of people with a great love for the race and the racers. They give out great food to the racers at no extra charge, tons of prizes for the races and the raffle, also prize money. Bigfoot in contrast has good courses but very few volunteers and little to no prizes or money involved as incentive to do well and prestige for the event. Lemurian results are posted accurately on the web within a day or two. Bigfoot might get your results posted when they get around to it. Just my own observations, correct me if you feel this is an unfair judgment. I will still do the Bigfoot races for the fun courses, but Lemurian runs a more satisfying event for all the racers involved in my opinion. How can you beat those awesome burritos as you sit around and relive every moment of the race with all your buddies?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast