Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Urban Ninja

Lemurian race reports & pics

This was the easiest and most enjoyable Lemurian's ever. I decided off the line that I wasn't really looking forward to another suffer fest so I backed off on the first climb. Usually I'm cramping half way into the race but this year I had no muscle cramps at all. I ended up with a 2 hours 46 minutes which was fairly consistent to my times in previous years but this one was not so painful.

I saw empty_beer and grrrah and a few other mtbr jersey's that I didn't know there. I have some photo's that I'll load asap.

Proud lame eBiker
    where's the pics, tough guy?

we were up there last weekend riding the trails for the first time ever. what an awesomeset of trails!
    www.velocitybicycles.comWhere customers become friends, not simply a dollar sign.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

What was your number?

Quote Originally Posted by jeng
    This was the easiest and most enjoyable Lemurian's ever. I decided off the line that I wasn't really looking forward to another suffer fest so I backed off on the first climb. Usually I'm cramping half way into the race but this year I had no muscle cramps at all. I ended up with a 2 hours 46 minutes which was fairly consistent to my times in previous years but this one was not so painful.

I saw empty_beer and grrrah and a few other mtbr jersey's that I didn't know there. I have some photo's that I'll load asap.
    If you know what your number was, throw it up, I might have a shot of you.

mtbr member
    (moved from the other thread)
    What an awesome event that was! Best way to describe the weekend as it was much more than just a race! Finally a race (other than downieville) with some super fun technical descents that we look for on or weekend rides.

I had a great time, and definately have to come back. I need to break the 3 hour mark, which I was about to do until I slammed my derailleur into the spokes with 1/2 a mile left. Was able to bend it back and limp across the line at 3:01:56 then fix it enough to ride more of the great trails on sunday.

Had a great weekend camping and hanging out with a great buch.

#136 if you got any pics

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Not the greatest picture, You obscured by some other riders.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Urban Ninja
    Quote Originally Posted by Loki
    If you know what your number was, throw it up, I might have a shot of you.
    Corina was #26 (She won her class)
    I was #27

My pictures as soon as I get into the office.

NedwannaB

Congrats to #26!

I was #27

How'd your Epic do and what tires did you end up running jeng?

mind taking
    I was #90

Thanks to everyone at Lemurian Classic, the race is one of my favorites and it didn't disappoint this year. I cramped big-time late in the race and ruined my shot at under 3hrs, but I cut off lots of time from last year so Im happy.

mtbr member
    Loki - wow, good eye! thanks for the pic!

JMac, due to an unfortunate tire situation last wednesday, I was stuck with 1.9 Kenda Karma's F&R on a HT 29er for the race. I actually thought the tires were perfect for 95% of the course. The other 5% I was praying for my sidewalls, but overall it wasn't too bad a tire choice. I didn't think big volume was necessary like it is in D-ville.

Urban Ninja
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47
    How'd your Epic do and what tires did you end up running jeng?
    I ran the nevy/sb8 tubeless combo I always do and they worked great. I saw several ppl by the side of the road changing flats and was stoked it wasn't me. Could have gone lighter tires prolly, but I'm comfortable with this setup. The bike worked great.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Couldn't find 27

But here are the other two.
    • File Type: jpg 26.jpg (351.9 KB, 1028 views)
    • File Type: jpg 90.jpg (350.7 KB, 1024 views)

menace to myself & others
    Aug 2005
    I cut almost 20 minutes off my time from last year. And I was 83% less destroyed at the end.

I swore last year that I would never race this event again without a bike that fit me. Not the first vow I've ever broken, but possibly the most painful. I can not wait until my frame is ready.

I was sorry to miss the recovery ride on Sunday, but needed to get home. Rafael and Mat, fun camping with you guys!

Pretty sure I was #216.

2012 Race: April 28th!
    Quote Originally Posted by Internal14
    where's the pics, tough guy?

we were up there last weekend riding the trails for the first time ever. what an awesomeset of trails!
    How about posting a report on your trip? I'd love to hear what you found on the coast!
    www.shastalemurian.com!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Thanks to all those who helped put this on! What a great event! It was the first race that I have participated in. I have only been out on a few rides this year so I signed up for the 20 mile loop. I was just hoping to finish and ended up with a third for my class. If you happen to have any pics of #280 that'd be awesome. I was on a Specialized Enduro SL, one of the few dual crown guys out there. ha

-
    I was #57

That was a very fun and challenging course...

Every muscle that could have possibly cramped started cramping at mile 19 until the finish....yep, even my fingers and toes

My seatdropper made a HUGE difference going through the gnarly/or steep sections...I only walked the boulders on Satan's Crack...did anybody clear that?

It was brutal, but I still had a lot of fun -- definitely doing it again next year.
    -ROXY

2012 Race: April 28th!
    One of the nice things about living in a small town is that the Lemurian gets great coverage in the local newspaper. Here's a link! http://www.redding.com/photos/galler...22nd-lemurian/ There was also a nice pre race article on Friday. Great pics Nate, thanks for helping out Saturday
    www.shastalemurian.com!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

No problem Ron

Thanks for the beer

Here is 57 and 216

weekend worrier
    I was #27

Good job! The only problem is the picture of #26 looks suspiciously like you and not Corina.

menace to myself & others
    Aug 2005
    The last picture in the Redding.com gallery includes women's winner Carrie Edwards (on the right) and Women's 40+ winner Julie Bates.

mtbr member
    This was my first race, what a blast.I'll be back next year.got any pics of #45 ?

Urban Ninja

Photogs

My friend Kevin took most of these.
    Here's all of em
    http://s48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...009/?start=all

Here's some:
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Yup

Quote Originally Posted by MIKE157
    This was my first race, what a blast.I'll be back next year.got any pics of #45 ?
    Here you go
    • File Type: jpg 45.jpg (439.8 KB, 1000 views)

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Lemurian Guy - You guys put on a great event! A bit of a sufferfest on the SS, but the singletrack is always worth it
    Loki - Any pix of #1?
    If white is the "new black" then thanks, but I'll stick with the old black...

Like a boss.

what a day

Lemurian was only my second real race, my first being the beginner XC course at Sea Otter last weekend. Hamana has traditionally had a HUGE presence at Lemurian, and my friends told me that if I was going to go to all the way up there, then I should do the 21 or 26 mile course and forget about the 8 mile. Uh, OK, so much for taking it easy! I had heard lots of stories about the climbs, the heat, the pain, etc., but I had also heard that the trails were really fun and that the scenery was beautiful. I figured I would sign up for the 21-mile course and just treat it like a ride - finish, not crash, enjoy the views, etc. Then someone (cough, jeng, cough) told me I had to "kill it", and "not look at flowers." OK then! I decided I would at least try and keep up a faster-than-touring pace, even though since I didn't pre-ride the course I had no idea where to push it and where to hold back.

Overall, I have to say that the course is AWESOME. Yeah, the climbs suck, but you don't feel as bad pushing your bike uphill when everyone else around you is doing the same! My highlights:

* Seeing a bald eagle soar above me while riding across the dam, and pointing it out to other riders (and then seeing an osprey after the race!)

* Handing out my extra shot blocks to grateful "red riders" (they're so fast!) when I took a break to get some food in me

* Creek crossings - I have never ridden through creeks like that before - wheee!!!

* Seeing my teammates on the course - jeng, wrong way, the pink one, boy Dana, mfine

* Brandy Creek singletrack!!! Holy crap, I have never felt so "on" before during a new descent. The trail sorta reminded me of Solstice - not as steep, but the technical parts were so. much. fun!!

* How freaking friendly everyone was! I was talking with a slew of other riders during the race and you could really tell that everyone was there to ride and have a good time. It was like the exact opposite of Sea Otter.

* Three words: TRI-TIP FOR LUNCH. !!!!!

I crossed the finish line after 3 hours and 18 minutes with a huge smile on my face. I was so stoked to just finish the race in a respectable time without crashing. During the awards ceremony, my friend Mo and I were the "Hamana Girls", making sure our teammates were photographed getting their medals with our team/beer banner. We were talking when all of a sudden a bunch of people started screaming my name. I turned around, and the ladies at the podium asked me, "are you [my name]?" I said I was, and then they said "well come get your medal!" "WHAT?!? Are you kidding me?!?" My jaw dropped - I had absolutely no idea that I had come in second in my age group (not that there were a lot of other women in that group, but still). I have pretty much never won a medal in anything athletic in my life, and it was the biggest surprise. I don't think I stopped smiling for at least another hour and a half. I know it doesn't really mean all that much, but it was a new feeling for me, and it felt pretty incredible!!!

Suffice it to say that I can't wait until next year's race!!! Mad props to all the Lemurian sponsors - you guys/gals do an incredible job putting on a really fun and friendly event. I'll see you next year for sure!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by jbt56
    Are you a whiny Marin liberal, or a hand-wringing Berkeley liberal?

mtb'er
    That was a mountain bikers race! From a first timer's perspective, I agree with others that it's a tougher track than Dville XC course, due to the additional climbs and many sketchy descents. Some really fun trail though. Great event!

I enjoyed myself, even though my "race" ended an hour into it when my rear derailleur stopped working, but I kept riding so I could see the whole course. I musta got off my bike 25 times to manually move my chain out of my spokes or out of granny (it kept bouncing up there). Then, about 2 miles from the end, it just exploded off... so I removed my chain and scootered to the finish, happy to be done.

2:51 was my time... plenty of room for improvement next time. Turns out the cable was completely frayed near the grip... very odd. I shoulda just raced the SS

Where was the photog set up for this shot? I'm #201... chasing down the pack of fast mo-fos:

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast