Learn New Trails

Printable View

• 10-04-2012
    trailrider70
    Learn New Trails
    Riders welcome to join us on fun weekly rides on some geat trails in the SF bay area (mostly San Mateo County). Beginners welcome, trails selected depend on skill level and physical capability. We cover trails and know them well at El Corte De Madera (ECDM or Skeggs) Water Dog Lake, Purisima Creek Redwoods, Montara and China Camp. If you are interested in learning new trails, meeting other riders, getting in some cardio, having fun and improving your skills please post or send message. No costs, just looking to add to the mountain biking community by assisting beginners (or any level) to learn trail systems, safety measures and riding skills. We have four in our group currently (male and female).

Thanks
  • 10-04-2012
    good post
    this is a good post and a cool thing your doing, offering help to the beginner riders, very cool. i haven't really been riding this year and wouldn't mind joining you guys on one of these rides later on when i ready to start riding again. btw i ride a 40lbs bike and know some other riders that i can get to come along, but that will have to be at a later date. keep me posted on your group rides...ralph
  • 10-08-2012
    laine
    I'm a beginner, definitely interested in improving my skills - I've just been to China Camp so far (and only twice). I live in Oakland, so I'd like to try Joachim Miller this weekend or next. Do you plan your rides in advance? I do get intimidated when I look at trails on the bayarearides.com site and look at the elevation/climbs....

-laine
  • 10-09-2012
    trailrider70
    Yes, our rides are planned I will send a message detailing next ride.
  • 10-09-2012
    J-Flo
    If you live in Oakland, you should try riding up to JM -- it will give you a nice warm-up before the singetrack. I regularly ride up the hill in Berkeley to Tilden/Wildcat and find the road ride gives me a good chance to get warm and practice building power and smooth cadence before hitting the trails (although there isn't anything really technical in Tilden, it is beautiful and there are a lot of fun trails). If you want a big ride, you can also do the nice downhill run/fireroad return near JM in Sibley. My kid rode there from our house in Berkeley today with some friends. As a beginner, be prepared to walk on some of the tougher sections and stay off the steeps like Palos Colorados and Cinderella. JM is much more technical than China Camp, but also has many fun, easy runs. The Big Trees loop is an excellent, flowy, and relatively easy/moderate singletrack with one big rock wall that you can aspire to climb up when you become really good.
  • 11-09-2012
    lcmac9
    Riding with the Bicycle Trails Council of the East Bay (BTCEB) is a great way to learn about trails in the area. Check out their web page or meet up group.
  • 11-09-2012
    lcmac9
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Jfloren View Post
    The Big Trees loop is an excellent, flowy, and relatively easy/moderate singletrack

I love Big Trees! It's super fun going DH, and not a bad climb in the reverse direction.
  • 11-09-2012
    boka
    If you're in Oakland, a lot of cyclists ride up tunnel road on road/mountain/whatever bikes. That will take you up to Redwood Park and Joaquin Miller.

My typical loop if I'm on the cross or mountain bike is: tunnel road, west ridge(in redwood park), big trees->sequoa-bayview trail loop, then big trees->sunset trail, some trail that dumps out near montclair, then ride home.
  • 11-10-2012
    laine
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lcmac9 View Post
    Riding with the Bicycle Trails Council of the East Bay (BTCEB) is a great way to learn about trails in the area. Check out their web page or meet up group.

Thanks - I'll take a look that that site! I've been going with friends, but sadly, I'm by far the slowest on the uphill (though not on the downhill!). I need to work on my cardio. So far, I've been to China Camp, JM (though we had no idea where we were going - and there was some gnarly stuff in there). Last weekend we went to Camp Tamarancho which was really freaking hard - at least for me. But good learning experience. We went up to Annadel up by Santa Rosa today. Nice ride, but a lot of uphill (at least the route we took).

My biggest goal now is to work on my cardio. It's pretty piss-poor. So maybe I'll try a BTCEB ride or two.

Thanks!
  • 11-10-2012
    Kabob King
    I ride JMP once a week usually. I just began seriously mountain biking about 7 months ago. I grew up riding BMX and some light mountain biking. JMP has a lot to offer b/c it has so many trails and Redwood is right across. A nice short loop is Big trees to bayview. I struggle on climbing too but I am getting much better. Currently China Camp is my favorite ride but about 45 min from my house. The climb is long but not to steep.
  • 11-27-2012
    rayray2316
    I am just getting back into riding, and looking for peeps to ride with. Please let me know when your rides are and where. Thanks