mtbr member

Lake Tahoe Trail 100K Leadville Qualifier at Northstar Resort

Can anyone share anything on the loop? how are the climbs? Which bike should I bring, 29er hardtail 1X9 or 26" full susp 3X9?? The write up suggests a hardtail is the way to go, lots of jeep trail etc... Thanks in advance...

Q

mtbr member
    The cords is supposed to be similar to Leadville. Includes 77% fire/jeep road, 20% single track and 3% paved. 29er hard tail should be perfect.

In full disclosure, I have not seen the course. from the description sent out, anything else seems overkill.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
    Are we putting air in the tires today?

Natural body armor
    HT 29er will do the job, 1x9 should be ok depending on gears and legs and what you are used to. I'll be riding 2x9 29er with Maxxis Crossmarks tires

course is here:
    http://www.leadvillequalifiers.com/laketahoe/route
    or better here
    http://app.strava.com/rides/589764
    Detailed Route:
    http://www.leadvillequalifiers.com/m...ahoe_route.pdf

See you there.
    ZT
    "There is no A-line"
    Quadzilla

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I will be there as well. Just riding my 26" Epic 3x9 with Tubeless 2.25 Schwalbe Rocket Ron in the front and 2.1 Racing Ralph in the rear.

How long do you think it will take? 6-7 hours?
    Berkeley Bicycle Club (BBC) - http://berkeleybike.org

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by iRoNeTiK View Post
    I will be there as well. Just riding my 26" Epic 3x9 with Tubeless 2.25 Schwalbe Rocket Ron in the front and 2.1 Racing Ralph in the rear.

How long do you think it will take? 6-7 hours?
    Looks like middle of the pack at the Wilmington qualifier was 5 hours, which sounds about right for a course that is supposed to be similar to Leadville. Jeremiah Bishop finished in 3:33, which is fast.

Nice that they moved this thing to fit in Downieville too, but for anyone hoping to qualify and go out to Leadville, 3 weeks is short notice.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Tahoe Course Slower

The Wilmington/Whiteface 100k course had more paved roads so the times are faster than they will be in Tahoe. Tahoe's course is at elevation, is more undulating, has more single track, and involves more turns so the times of the middle of the pack rider will probably be slower than in NY. This change of course probably won't affect the leaders as much as the average rider.

mtbr member
    done and done, 29er it is, thanks guys.

Q

mtbr member
    Sorry to resurrect this old post. I'll be doing this race in a few weeks and was wondering if anyone can share some more info on the course. Typically I don't race anything I can pre-ride but this time I have no choice. Any info you can share would be greatly appreciated.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ssphoenix View Post
    Sorry to resurrect this old post. I'll be doing this race in a few weeks and was wondering if anyone can share some more info on the course. Typically I don't race anything I can pre-ride but this time I have no choice. Any info you can share would be greatly appreciated.
    I did it last year but unfortunately it conflicts this year with Howell Mtn Challenge because Downieville moved to August so HMC moved to July and now a conflict!

I noticed it cheaper this year, $80 something bucks? Last year it was $120 or so.

Anyway, the course is mainly fireroad. You start from the Northstar Resort and headup the mountain (this is only done once, you don't do again for your second lap). There's some singletrack followed up with some single/doubletrack but the remaining part is fireroad. Oh just remembered after flying down fireroad for a while you hit some more singletrack, not much though. I would say 75% fireroad 25% singletrack? It's a good endurance course and I enjoyed it. There's nothing very technical, no rock drops or ledge drops, sometimes fireroads are loose due to rocks or loose dirt.

Here's my Garmin activity for it last year -

Tahoe Trail 100k by ironetik at Garmin Connect - Details

Go to "Player" in the upper right for a better representation of the elevation profile.

Also if you want to qualify, goodluck! It's an open field so you are competing with Pros and Experts so hard to get qualified that route but then there's the lottery. They took their sweet ass time last year so barely anyone was around when the yfinally got to the lottery so I think most (if not all) the people who stuck around got in who wanted to. Personally, I wasn't trying to qualify since I wouldn't be able to make it anyways.

Lastly, there is a spot or PIT area where you can put your cooler or tools/food as you come around for your second lap. Don't forget to bring the lube! It was dusty last year and definately needed it after 1 lap.

P.S. There was a mandatory racer/medical check-in meeting the day before at Northstar. You sign a waiver and fill out all your medical info, like pre-existing conditions or medications and give it to the EMTs so if you keel over they can help you and not screw you up more. Also pick up your number and everything.
    Berkeley Bicycle Club (BBC) - http://berkeleybike.org

mtbr member
    It was a pretty fun course for an endurance style race. 25% single track is still 15 miles worth. Some of the downhills had a lot of gavel made for some sketchiness. I would race it again regardless of whether your goal is to qualify or just go have a good time. Unfortunately my schedule doesn't work out for this year.

mtbr member
    Thanks guys very much. I missed Barn Burner with dislocated shoulder on the first flipping lap. Never had an injury in 3 years of racing. I tree just jumped in front on a fire road.

I've been trying the lottery for the past 3 years. I must be marked or something cuz i just can't get in. At Barn burner the deal was if you came under 9hours for solo, you had a spot for Leadville. Isn't this qualifier the same? 60miles in 5 hours? What are the requirements if anyone knows?

Thanks again for any info.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ssphoenix View Post
    Thanks guys very much. I missed Barn Burner with dislocated shoulder on the first flipping lap. Never had an injury in 3 years of racing. I tree just jumped in front on a fire road.

I've been trying the lottery for the past 3 years. I must be marked or something cuz i just can't get in. At Barn burner the deal was if you came under 9hours for solo, you had a spot for Leadville. Isn't this qualifier the same? 60miles in 5 hours? What are the requirements if anyone knows?

Thanks again for any info.
    There are a certain amount of spots allocated to the top finishers in each age group, depending on how many entries. Its a fast race though, so unless you are super competitive in expert, that's a tough route.

The other option was the lottery that was available to everyone that finished under a specified time, which was almost everyone. They should probably cut the time to make it a little more indicative of one's ability to finish Leadville. In any event, anyone that finished under the time cut and stuck around for the lottery got in.

This year might be a little different because from what it looked like, there are more qualifiers and less spots per qualifier. More importantly though is the ability to use the qualifier for 2013. Last year the LT 100k was three weeks before Leadville, which is pretty quick notice. I would think that more people would stick around for an entry into 2013.

Good Luck. Leadville is a great event that everyone who wants to should have a chance to experience.