Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    My gloves stink

Lake Sonoma XC race - Saturday

By Saturday you should be sufficiently recovered from Thursday to enjoy what might be the most technical XC race course this side of Xanadu. $30 bucks gets you a race, beer and lunch, and proceeds go to the NorCal High School Cycling League. Lake Sonoma Series
    I dreamed I ate a 10 lb marshmallow. When I awoke, my pillow was gone.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by Appendage View Post
    By Saturday you should be sufficiently recovered from Thursday to enjoy what might be the most technical XC race course this side of Xanadu. $30 bucks gets you a race, beer and lunch, and proceeds go to the NorCal High School Cycling League. Lake Sonoma Series
    I couldn't find the "Like" tab, but I'm posting anyway.
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Appendage View Post
    By Saturday you should be sufficiently recovered from Thursday to enjoy what might be the most technical XC race course this side of Xanadu.
    I plan to be there. And this time (unlike last weekend at the Locust), I will make sure to have BOTH MOUNTAIN SHOES with me.

A couple of friends who are CCCX regulars are asking how techy it is? The Tamarancho Dirt Classic and the Shasta Lemurian both taxed my bike handling abilities more than the two events I've done at Lake Sonoma this year (So No Mas Long Course / Lake Sonoma Grasshopper).

It's been a while since I've ridden the 5 mile XC loop, I don't want to lure them into something they'll hate me for...

Dropshot Champ!
    It's been a few years, but I remember alot of steepish-down-up rooty creek crossings that required speed and grunt to make it out of clean. At least 5 of them.

My gloves stink
    Quote Originally Posted by MrCrash View Post
    I plan to be there. And this time (unlike last weekend at the Locust), I will make sure to have BOTH MOUNTAIN SHOES with me.

A couple of friends who are CCCX regulars are asking how techy it is? The Tamarancho Dirt Classic and the Shasta Lemurian both taxed my bike handling abilities more than the two events I've done at Lake Sonoma this year (So No Mas Long Course / Lake Sonoma Grasshopper).

It's been a while since I've ridden the 5 mile XC loop, I don't want to lure them into something they'll hate me for...
    I would say the technical challenges are qualitatively similar to the SoNoMas long course. But they're more concentrated- the non-technical "breathers" are shorter. Redmr2_man is correct, there are several creek/gully crossings per lap. It's not scary-technical, just slow technical. Average speeds are under 10 mph.

At any rate, make sure your friends bring both their shoes, or they'll have a tough time.

feeling squirrelly
    I logged in today looking for info on how techy this course is. I'm not familiar with the SoNoMas course. Can anyone compare the course to any Dville or Auburn trails? I'm thinking about racing this weekend but I haven't spent a ton of time in the last year riding technical trails (since I was 4 more pregnant quit riding super tech and have been more of a roadie post baby). Guess I'm just being a chicken and trying to talk myself into it. Aside from the gulleys are there any big drops or steep cliffs I can fall off?

Dropshot Champ!
    no big drops. no steep cliffside action that I remember.

Comparing dv/auburn, it's like the elevation loss of the rocky creek down/up near the top of butcher (not the waterfall) meets the exposed roots of some of the stuff on manzanita. If that makes sense.

You'll be fine. When I raced it, the first guy would mess up and everyone would cx it for the first lap anyways.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Additionally the weather forecast is a high of 87. That beats 100+ that we had last year. And if that's not cool enough, we have plenty of ice cold Lagunitas to bring the temperature down even further. You might even win one of these>>>Lake Sonoma XC race - Saturday-lss_-ii_7-6-13.jpg

feeling squirrelly
    Quote Originally Posted by redmr2_man View Post
    no big drops. no steep cliffside action that I remember.

Comparing dv/auburn, it's like the elevation loss of the rocky creek down/up near the top of butcher (not the waterfall) meets the exposed roots of some of the stuff on manzanita. If that makes sense.

You'll be fine. When I raced it, the first guy would mess up and everyone would cx it for the first lap anyways.
    Awesome. Thanks for the info now I just need to HTFU.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I've ridden but not raced the course. no chunk or hard climbs, but I felt it was hard to keep a good flow without knowing the course. lots of shifting, little ups and downs, tight turns and tall grass. yeah, the gullies are tricky. fun course. would think a light HT would be the right bike

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by socobiker View Post
    I've ridden but not raced the course. no chunk or hard climbs, but I felt it was hard to keep a good flow without knowing the course. lots of shifting, little ups and downs, tight turns and tall grass. yeah, the gullies are tricky. fun course. would think a light HT would be the right bike
    We've done quite a bit of re-routes to help the flow.

mtbr member
    This is a fun but hard course. The single-track is a blast but there are sections where it's a bit like riding marbles. Keep on the track on you're fine. Drift too far off and you start a slippin' or droppin'. A couple of creek (usually dry) and ravine crossing are tire poppers/burpers and should be approached with that in mind. Usually it's the V shape rather than U shape and the sharp rocks that messes you up (and your bike).

Otherwise, it's not bad. I would say it's a hair harder than Tamarancho. A bit closer to Skyline (Napa) but not as technical.

Check out some of my videos for some insight into what the courses are like:

And here's another: https://vimeo.com/48435059

Btw - The burgers and beer at the finish are a nice way to end the ride. Although, the finish line passes right next to the pavilion with the food and beer. And if you are doing multiple laps you will pass by the pavilion at least once and see beer flowing and smell burgers cooking... that makes skipping the last lap *really* easy

Cheers!
    My Cycling Videos: Vimeo | YouTube | My Website

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    That's how we make you suffer, by getting into your senses!

NedwannaB
    Race 4 camera action and tunes was great!

NedwannaB
    Does your other half come down for these type races??

Looks like it's going to be good temps during the race venue.

My gloves stink

Ride the race, win a raffle prize!

Thanks to our sponsor, Mike's Bikes, we've got a bounty of cool stuff to give away tomorrow. Winners get medals, but anyone can win a raffle prize. How much better can we make this?

Lake Sonoma XC race - Saturday-raffle.jpg

feeling squirrelly
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    Does your other half come down for these type races??

Looks like it's going to be good temps during the race venue.
    My other half? If so, yes he will be there testing out his new Ripley.

J-Flo
    Apr 2012
    Thanks for sharing the videos, Hans. This is tempting for sure, although I suspect I would have crashed if I tried to make the sharpest of those creekbed crossings.

Unfortunately I don't think we will be able to make it tomorrow. Hopefully we will be able to swing it on July 27.

My gloves stink
    Nothin' but happy faces at Lake Sonoma today! Thanks to all who came, and to Mikes Bikes, for giving us lots of cool stuff to hand out. Y'all come back on July 27! There'll be series points awards!

NedwannaB
    Thank you for checking in when you got back.....
    Good times up there today!

NedwannaB

Lost helmet

I think it's MrCrash's.

mtbr member
    Great fun today! Not too hot and the burgers and beer were there again at the finish

2013 Lake Sonoma Ricochet #2 by hansk, on Flickr

Oh, and this was one of the fastest starts in a while... might be the special rabbit lined up front and center.
    My Cycling Videos: Vimeo | YouTube | My Website

NedwannaB
    Race temps were good. Heading back out on lap 4 with Mr. Appendage post-event to clean up wrappers and course markings, after beer(s) and burger, it was abit toastier. I think he went out for a real ride after dropping me back off at parking lot.

My gloves stink

Lake Sonoma corrected results posted

Corrected results from July 6 posted here: http://www.bikemonkey.net/wp-content...6-13_fixed.pdf

Final race - July 27! There are rumors of series points awards...

My gloves stink

Schweet swag for the Series finale

Mike's Bikes is making sure that plenty Lake Sonoma riders will go away with some primo swag in addition to the sweet singletrack, tasty burgers and cold refreshing Lagunitas beer. Where else does $30 buy you that much fun? And if that doesn't compel you to come, consider that our proceeds go to benefit the NorCal High School Cycling League, which brings me to our new slogan: "Lake Sonoma Series- make the world a better place while you race without spraying you in the face with mace".

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast