Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Dog Mike
    Not sure about a map update, they have been working on the trail. I have not been out to the end for awhile but I hear it is all the way through to the camp.

Not sure where you hit the split I assume it was a sharp right turn that crossed a rocky creek bed that is dry right now. That is where you can go straight or make the 108 degree right. Make the right, cross the dry rocky creek bed and continue on I suspect it is another 6 or 7 miles.

Mike
    Thanks. That sounds like the spot. One option veered left straight into the woods, and the second option was a sharp right, crossed something rocky and then went left again (like a question mark)

Another 6 or 7 miles? That is awesome! I need to do more exploring next week!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Monday Ride

Jim sez let’s meet at Meet 6:00pm Monday at parking lot across from Green Line Cycle, Eazy Riiiiiide bring your sleeping gear (just kidding) will be going out to the Little Cayon at the bottom of the Dam and back via Gary's Crossing.
    See there Mad Dog
    mtbr57jim

See y’all there.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Thursday Ride

Let’s meet at the parking lot across from Greenline and ride Sycamore up on the shady side and back via the new trail Jim found.
    See you at 6 PM tomorrow.

Bring your happy face incase Jim has his camera again. Nice Pic’s from the Monday ride, thanks Jim.

Mike

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

North fork

When you make the sharp right, cross the rocky dry stream bed you go up slightly into a stand of trees. Don't go to the left that takes you back to where you would have gone if you went straight.

After you cross make a left and you can go all the way to Bloomers camp. From the Dam it is about a 20 mile round trip.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    OOPS!!!!! I meant to say after you cross go RIGHT, do not go left. Sorry.

Mike

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Monday Ride!

Meet at lot above the bathrooms, 6:00pm Monday up to the Center, down the long way over to the Grand Canyon to Saddle Dam back the Upper Trail up The Man Way and to the Dam
    See you there
    mtbr57jim

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005
    How hot has it been getting out there these days and how about some sweet pics to make us all jealous?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    It has been nice today was mid nineties but the cool down starts tomorrow and thye 10 forecast sez' mid 80's so we are looking good.

Jim Brewer on face book has lots of pic's he took some tonight and I suspect he will post those soon. I was just checking and he posted pic's of him and Joyce ay Bidwell Park this morning.

Wwe had a great ride tonight, trails a bit dusty but that goes with the territory in September.

Mike

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Thursday Ride

Let’s meet at the cul-de-sac and do a Potters Loop or even a Crazy Eight. See you tomorrow at 6 pm.

Nice weather tomorrow, high 77

Thu
    Sep 9

Partly Cloudy
    77°

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Monday Ride!!!

Jim sez’

Ok, It might be hard on some easy on others and medium on.........Oh well let's you do it.

Meet at the parking lot above the bathrooms at The Dam, 6:00pm Monday we'll be heading down the Upper Trail to the trail along the Flume, it will be the ride down the front of The Dam only backwards no not riding backwards how about clock wise and not counter clock wise. Oh just meet me at the Dam.

Biking buddy mtbr57jim

See you tomorrow at 6 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Thursday Ride

Let’s meet at the parking across from Green Line Cycle and head up river. We can do the shady side of Sycamore and down and out via Jims new trail. See you tomorrow at 6 PM in the parking lot.

Remember: Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Monday Ride

Location Meet at the cul-de-sac at 6 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Created By Michael Morgan

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

More Info Jim sez’

OK. This ride will be for 85% of your grade for riding this summer. Oh! you say you didn't know you were getting a grade out of this, your not I just didn't know how to tell you this is going to be a harder ride then the one we rode up Sycamore on the south side if you understand what I'm talking about. There will be a few switch backs on this ride. We'll meet at the cul de sac Monday 6:00pm. The ride will take us down some fun downhill almost to the road by the River. After the downhill we make a hard left to start the switchbacks up to the cul de sac. It will be tuff but John says "It's all good, chicken lips. Push through the pain.
    Oh! you might want to bring your Lights for this ride. But don't think it's going to be to hard for you, because there will always be someone by your side to walk or ride.
    Biking Buddy mtbr57jim

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Thursday Ride 9-23-10

Howz about the Saddle Dam tomorrow at 6 PM. If there are no trailers maybe we can ride the Loafer Creek area.

Otherwise we will do the low route to the Man Way up, Visitor Center and the long way down and if still light enough finish with the Grand Canyon. I like the first choice best however.

Bring yer light if you got one just in case.

Sometimes you just have to ask…How is it that one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Monday Ride

Jim sez

Howz about the Saddle Dam tomorrow at 6 PM and ride the horseshoe loop. Bring yer light in case but likely will not need it.

See you at the Saddle Dam at 6.

Mike sez’ “We never really grow up; we only learn how to act in public.”

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Thursday Ride

Let’s meet at the parking area just above the restrooms at the top of the Dam. We can ride down the way we did last time, cross the road and because of shorter daylight we can make a right at the “Y” and come back up the face of the Dam on the Brad Freeman. If everyone has lights and wants to ride longer we can do Gary’s crossing.

See U tomorrow at 6 PM.
    Remember; the early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    MONDAY RIDE
    Jim sez’ Ok meet at the cul de sac Monday 6:00pm ride out the North Arm maybe a bit more. Bring your lights. mtbr57jim
    Mad Dog sez'
    To steal ideas from someone is plagiarism. To steal ideas from many is research.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Thursday Ride

I was thinking of meeting at Green Line and riding the Sycamore switchbacks tomorrow at 6 PM with lights. However I have injured my hand and will not be able to ride tomorrow. So for you that are lucky enough to make it out have a great ride. Mike. Remember; Bad decisions make good stories

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Monday Ride
    Monday Ride, let’s meet at the parking lot across from Green Line and ride out and do Gary's Crossing then up in over Sycamore. Jim sez see you Monday 6:00PM across from Green Line bring your lights (charged preferred,).

Mike sez; I asked God for a bike, but I know God does not work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness. Ride on!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Thursday Ride.

Let’s meet at the cul-de-sac and ride the Potters Loop and down Dead Cow. I have more cow bones if anyone wants to help cart some up otherwise they can remain in the back of my truck.

As I near retirement I thought I wanted a career, turns out I just wanted pay checks.

See you at 6 PM tomorrow, bring yer lights.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Thursday Ride October 21, 2010
    Let’s meet at the parking just above the restrooms at the top of the Dam. Let’s ride the long way to the Saddle Dam, back via the upper route and up the Man Way. If the group wants a longer ride we can throw in a Loafer Loop from the Saddle Dam.

See you at 6 pm.

OK, so what’s the speed of dark?

May the Force be with you
    I hope I'm able to get over there tomorrow.. Bee great to see everyone.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Monday Ride

OK! Let’s ride on that Horseshoe Hill and get some mud on these bikes. You better have those fenders on. Slip slidin away who can throw up the most mud?
    Meet at Saddle Dam Monday 6:00 dress warm, have your lights charged and don't forget your fenders.
    mtbr57jim

Charge yer lights and remember to always borrow money from pessimists – they don’t expect it back. MDM

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Thursday Ride
    Let’s meet at the parking above the restrooms at the top of the Dam. We can ride across the Dam, do a Potters Loop, down Dead Cow and back.
    See you at 6 PM tomorrow, 30% chance of showers so were your shorts.

All of those that believe in psycho-kinesis, raise my hand.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Monday Ride

Meet at the bathrooms at the Dam. Up to The Center and from there will be................6:00p see you there. mtbr57jim

No rain just good riding weather, charge yer lights and get ready to mount up.

If your car could travel at the speed of light, would your headlights work?

mtbr member
    Are you talking about the bathrooms on the south side of the dam? Myself and another rider from Chico are going to come down this evening and check it out.
    "Got everything you need?"

Ride Responsibly
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoHeadsBrewing
    Are you talking about the bathrooms on the south side of the dam? Myself and another rider from Chico are going to come down this evening and check it out.
    Correct, the parking-lot by the bathrooms BEFORE you cross the dam. Enjoy.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Yes indeed the South side, just go up past the restrooms and there is a parking area. Look forward to seeing y'all.

Mike

mtb57jim
    Great Ride tonight, Thanks for coming along Chico Riders we'll have to do it again
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lake Oroville Biking Buddie's-100_7370.jpg  

Lake Oroville Biking Buddie's-100_7365.jpg  

Lake Oroville Biking Buddie's-100_7366.jpg  

Lake Oroville Biking Buddie's-100_7363.jpg  

Biker Buddy 57jim
    "We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey." Kenji Miyazawa

May the Force be with you
    I really tried to make it over ,but it just got to late.
    Maybe Thursday .

mtbr member
    Thanks a ton to Jim and Mike and the rest of the crew! The trails were a blast and a refreshing break from the rocky technical riding of upper bidwell. We'll definitely be back for more!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Thursday Ride

Nice to see the Chico guys out Monday!

Thursday. Let’s meet at the cul-de-sac at the North end of the Dam and ride Potters Point loop.

See you at 6 PM tomorrow, charge your lights, great weather!

When everything is coming your way, you’re in the wrong lane.

Mike...........

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Monday's ride was a ton of fun, it was cool to meet you guys. Thanks for hanging back with me and making sure I didn't get lost. Looks like I'm going to have to do a lot of work to be able to keep up next time.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Monday Ride 6 PM
    Lets' park out by the bridge on Cherokee. We'll ride up and over the rusty bridge over to the no name trail, up to under the power lines them back out. Bring your ride gear we'll talk about it when we get there. Get those lights charged up. Meet at the bridge 6:00 Monday.
    biking buddy mtbr57jim

Nice and dark make sure your light is charged. No rain forecast, high Monday 60 degrees and low 38 degrees.

If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends? Mad Dog

P.S. I got an application for the Oroville downtown light parade, I will sign us up so start planning your own personal 2 wheel light show. Saturday December 11, 2010, parade starts at 6 PM check in and line up from 4 to 5 PM. We will go under the same name we used last year “Foothill Derailers.”

P. S. S. If any Chico guys need directions call me at 533-3575 today or tomorrow during the day. Mike

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Thursday Ride
    Let’s meet at the parking just above the restrooms at the top of the Dam, ride to Visitor Center, down the long way to Bidwell, low route to the Saddle Dam, maybe a Loafer loop and back.

See you at 6 PM tomorrow.

Experience is something you don’t get until just after you need it.

Mad Dog

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Monday Ride

Let’s meet at the cul-de-sac at the far end of the Dam and ride a Potters loop or a crazy eight at 6 PM tomorrow.

Good weather, no rain forecast.

What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

Mad Dog

mtbr member
    I was doing a Diversion Pool/Potters Ravine loop and ran into a fellow biker that mentioned a continuation of the North Fork that connected to the Bloomer Primitive Campground area. Does anyone have information about that? I'm wanting to get into bikepacking, and figured this would be a good "shakedown" ride and just a fun overnighter besides. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

North Fork.........................:D................... :D

You heard right the North Fork trail goes nearly all the way to the Bloomer camp now. From Oroville Dam it is about a 10 mile one way trip.

Take the Potters loop trail from the launch ramp parking lot at the north end of the Dam. Right after you cross the first wooden bridge you will come to a fork, the right goes to Potters and the left is called the cut across trail and goes to the north fork, stay left.

You will go through a cattle gate and ultimately to another fork, make a hard right and cross a rocky flat area (dry stream) and go up into trees and intersect another trail, go right. Stay on trail until you get to Bloomers.

Give me a call if you need more info. I may be up for a Bloomers ride on a weekend day so let me know when you are going. If you don't mind and if I am free I can ride out and back.

Mike 533-3575

mtbr member
    Awesome, thanks Mike!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Thursday Ride 11-18-10
    Let’s meet at the parking area just above the restrooms at the top of the Dam at 6 PM tomorrow. We can ride a familiar route to the Visitor Center, down the long way over to the Saddle Dam and back via the Man Way. We should beat the rain, forecast calls for rain Friday morning. How do you tell when you are out of invisible ink? Mike

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Monday Ride

Jim sez to meet at the parking lot across from Green Line Cycle tomorrow at 6 PM. He has a new route for us, up the river with a new twist, charge your lights. The forecast for tomorrow is below appears to be a 60% chance of showers.

I intend to live forever…so far so good!

Mike

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Monday Ride 11-29-10

Jim sez’ lets meet at the cul-de-sac at the far end of the Dam tomorrow at 6 PM. We will likely ride a crazy eight. Charge your lights, no rain gera necessary. Hourly forecast for Monday is below.

6 pm

45°F

Feels Like
    44°F
    9 pm

39°F

Feels Like
    36°F

AM Clouds / PM Sun High
    50°F

Precip
    10%

Wind: From NNW at 7 mph
    Humidity: 66%
    UV Index: 2 Low

Sunrise: 7:04 AM PT
    Avg. High: 58°F
    Record High: 70°F (1959)

Clear Overnight Low
    29°F

Precip
    0%

My mechanic told me “ I could not fix your breaks, so I made your horn louder!”

Think about the light parade, Saturday December 11, get your lights ready.

Mad Dog

VEGAN ATHLETE Racing
    How do you think the trails will be today? I'm debating riding there or heading up to Redding.
    Take a look at and consider "liking" our VAR Facebook and VAR Instagram pages.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Most trails here are good, de-comp granite mostly, drains quickly, little mud. Loafer Creek area would be muddy however and places along the Burma Road side of the river will be slick. The trails around Potters, Dead Cow and on the other side of the Dam are pretty good. I rode yesterday in the rain and it was all pretty well drained with very few puddles.

Mike

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Thursday Ride
    Gear up, looks like there may be rain. In that case I was thinking of a familiar trail. Meet at the parking above the restrooms at the top of the Dam at 6 pm tomorrow. We can ride to the Visitor Center, over to the Saddle Dam and back via the Man Way.

If it is a lite rain I will be there if it is a hard and steady rain I will not be there. Hope we can get a ride in.

Hard work pays off in the future, laziness pays off now.
    Mad Dog

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Monday Ride

Let's meet at the bathrooms Monday 6:00pm for the ride to The Visitor Center. We'll head over to the Corrals if its not to muddy, on the way back that a trip to The Grand Canyon, up the Man Way and back to the autos

Rain forecast early but gone by ride time. Last Thursday was perfect a few drops and good riding. Charge yer lights see you at the parking just above the restrooms at the top of the Dam tomorrow at 6.

Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Thursday Ride.
    Let’s meet at the cul-de-sac at the far end of the Dam and ride a Potters loop at 6 pm tomorrow. A slight chance of rain, charge your lights.

A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking.

Mad Dog

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    im really interested in getting in on these rides. but. i have no idea what to expect or to bring. lets just say what do i need to buy to be a safe rider since im just getting back into cycling.

this is what i have. its a walmart special that i converted to single speed due to the shifters and derailleurs not working.

i have simple marker lights, tools and patch for repairs.

will this bike survive the trails around oroville and will my single speed set work?

im sure i will need

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I believe your bike will survive our rides. We do not get too technical, mostly trail riding, once in awhile we will ride the other side of the river where the trails are single track and more technical.

Most of what we ride is multi use trails around Lake Oroville, Loafer Creek and the North Fork. The trails are open year around, well drained and not a lot of mud due to decomp granite.
    We ride year around every Monday and every Thursday at 6 PM and many of us ride in between when we can. Some ride every Tuesday also and many ride Saturdays. We ride at night in the winter and will ride in light rain.

We ride all levels of riders age ranges from teens to 60’s. The Monday night rides are for all levels, we ride with who shows up. If there are some that want to tear it up they take off and the slower or less accomplished meet up at a designated spot so we do not lose any riders. If there is a beginner someone hangs back with the beginner.

What you need is a helmet, a spare tube and maybe some basic tools. If you ride at night in the winter months you will need a light. Most have either a handlebar mounted lamp or a helmet mounted lamp, some have both. If you are going to get a light I suggest a helmet mount, that way you can look into switchbacks before you get there otherwise you see only what is in front of where the handlebars are pointing. A water bottle usually works for me in the winter however in the summer a hydration pack is a must.

Gloves help in the winter and also in the summer if you go down.

There are some good climbs and some great downhill runs, each of our rides incorporate a mixture, not a lot of just flat riding. For example the ride Monday started with a one mile climb to the Visitor Center then lots of downhill and some minor climbs clear over to Loafer Creek. On the way back we takes a short cut called “The Man Way” that goes up in a short distance where all of that long downhill was in the beginning. The sweet part is that first one mile climb starting is now a one mile downhill all the way back to the car.

If you have questions call me at 533-3575 after 8 Pm tonight.

Mike

mtbr member
    Swick, looking over your bike I dont see a back brake , you will need one of those for sure. Also, can you change the chain to another ring , cause that looks like a big gear.......just saying.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Jim and I have talked and we have decided that we will not ride in the downtown light parade tomorrow, Saturday December 11, 2010. It appears that many have prior commitments and some have family members and children in the parade already that they are supporting. To date we know of only Jim and I that were going to ride.

The weather is going to be nice so get out and check it out, maybe next year we can get out.

Mike Hurst had his bike light up for last night’s ride, too cool and way to go Mike! I think it is on. I bet Monday night Jim is going to glow in the dark, probably will not need lights.

Mike

Everyone has a photographic memory; some just don’t have film.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast