mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Lake Cunningham opened today

San Jose did a pretty good job on this, looks like itís gonna be fun.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lake Cunningham opened today-4fad3d79-1ae2-47ce-9acc-287bd7f9171d.jpg  

Lake Cunningham opened today-fdcae540-eff5-4e74-8a78-5c1df2a8c6cd.jpg  

Lake Cunningham opened today-077d4f8d-f2c9-40be-b0b6-852db917eed3.jpg  

Lake Cunningham opened today-61abbce3-5a67-4525-bbf9-6f1ddb7fb679.jpg  

fc
    head minion Administrator
    https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/04/...s-in-san-jose/

How does it ride?

For kids only or oldies can play too?
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Stopped by after things had died down today. Pretty neat, though I was surprised at some of the wear it already has. It looked as if though the pump track had been ridden wet prior to opening, and the Dual Slalom had a few sandy and blown out sections.

The Slopestyle area was pretty rad though! Wooden ramps were working pretty well until the wind hit around 5. Maybe someone more skilled than myself can get comfortable with random head on gusts, but not me.

I hope the park gets the attention it needs, the seemingly sandy dirt surprised me.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    We just went to check it out thinking it would be too crowded on opening day. Did see some guy do an endo off the the drop. I agree that if it isnít properly maintained it will disintegrate pretty quickly but there is an admission fee so hopefully that will make sure itís kept going in good condition.

Over it
    Jun 2010
    Finally made it out after work yesterday. Woo hoo! Ran into Happy Ron who was nice enough to give me a tour. Even with my junior-flyer jump skills I had a blast on the jump line, dual slalom, and slopestyle sections. Two thumbs up.
    Nice e-bike! (sorry about your penis)

The broken are the more evolved. Rejoice.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Hey Dirtvert, thanks for reminding of this place. Just curious, would you choose a hard tail (i.e. SC Chameleon) or 170 mm travel (Pivot Firebird) for the park, if those were your only two options?

Hella Olde
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtvert View Post
    Finally made it out after work yesterday. Woo hoo! Ran into Happy Ron who was nice enough to give me a tour. Even with my junior-flyer jump skills I had a blast on the jump line, dual slalom, and slopestyle sections. Two thumbs up.

Cool - do you think they'll have a little DS races there? Anyway, it's nice to have a place to practice since i just got into DS after ignoring it for 20 years!

Over it
    Jun 2010
    Hel Mot- I would think the hardtail, although Ron was making the jumps look easy on his Ripmo. I was on my Ripley LS, and the only change I did was pump the tires to 30ish. Ron recommended speeding up the compression and rebound. And next time I would try locking out the shock.

DH- I hope so! But I haven't heard anything. It's a pretty cool section and wasn't being used much.
    Nice e-bike! (sorry about your penis)

The broken are the more evolved. Rejoice.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hel Mot View Post
    Hey Dirtvert, thanks for reminding of this place. Just curious, would you choose a hard tail (i.e. SC Chameleon) or 170 mm travel (Pivot Firebird) for the park, if those were your only two options?
    do you like to pumptrack? the one there is pretty nice (now that they cleaned up the soft spots on opening).

if so, go ht

mtbr member
    Went to Cunningham today. So fun! The jumping skills are coming along very slowly but surely (and safely).

Is the some unwritten organization/etiquette to the jump line? It seems thereís always a bunch of people hanging out at the top but not necessarily waiting to do a run. I donít want to cut in front of anybody, but also donít want to wait when no one else is riding and I could be dropping in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rhymes with fartmaster
    Rode there with my boys today was a blast!. The mileage count on my GPS was over 13, so yes we were riding for a while.
    one by nine works just fine but single speed is all ya need

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

DJ bike or your FS trail bike @bike park?

Just wondering if many of you guys are riding your normal trail bikes at dirt jump park like Cunningham or have a dedicated dirt jumper?

I can't jump, but want to learn do use it on the trails like in SC. Should I just practice on my FS trail bike or should I get a dirt jumper?

I have an older 26 hardtail which I think I can possible convert to DJ bike with a fork potentially.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothmoose View Post
    Just wondering if many of you guys are riding your normal trail bikes at dirt jump park like Cunningham or have a dedicated dirt jumper?

I can't jump, but want to learn do use it on the trails like in SC. Should I just practice on my FS trail bike or should I get a dirt jumper?

I have an older 26 hardtail which I think I can possible convert to DJ bike with a fork potentially.
    I would take your FS bike to Harvey West and try it out first.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothmoose View Post

I've been taking my 650b trail bike. I've learned real quick to add air in the front fork and tires, and slow down the rebound on the rear shock. Tried this out Sun and found that I was getting more pop off the lip.
    I went there last weekend with the same bike and no adjustments, I ended up squashing the lip with the fork, and working harder to try a pop off the lip with the squishy suspension.

mtbr member
    Took my little guy and he had a blast. Once he go over the visual size of the features, he was all good to go.

Lake Cunningham opened today-img_0052.jpg

it's awesome to watch your little kid come out of a crowd of big kids taking on the big stuff. While dad is still working on his fear of eating $h!t.

fc
    head minion Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by RANDELS View Post
    I've been taking my 650b trail bike. I've learned real quick to add air in the front fork and tires, and slow down the rebound on the rear shock. Tried this out Sun and found that I was getting more pop off the lip.
    I went there last weekend with the same bike and no adjustments, I ended up squashing the lip with the fork, and working harder to try a pop off the lip with the squishy suspension.
    Randy is finally gonna pop the jumps!!!!

fc
    IPA will save America