Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2016

Which Knee Pads And Where To Get Them?

Hello MTBR,

I am looking for some knee pads that are similar to the G-form Knee pads or the Fox Enduro Knee Pads. Do you guys know other brands or models that are comfy, light, and priced reasonably? I am also looking for Nor Cal (SF Bay Area, specifically) bike shops that may have these pads in stock so I could try them on or buy them locally. Any suggestions are welcome.

Also what knee pads are you guys rockin for the Nor Cal terrain/weather?

Thanks,
    AT

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I use a pair of G-form kneepads as the baseline. I measured according to the manufacturers recommendation but feel that isn't that accurate.

Ordered all below online.

For cold weather or if there is a lot of poison oak I want to be shielded from (run touch larger than my G-form kneepads strangely enough):
    Mountain Bike Shin Guards | Knee Shin Pads | G-Form

For warm days when not much protection is needed (fit almost identical to my original g-forms):
    https://www.sixsixone.com/store/prod...CON-KNEE-BLACK

For when I want slightly more protection (run slightly too snug, but next size up might be too big):
    https://www.dakine.com/slayer-knee-pad.html

Trail Gnome Moderator
    I've had a few different ones over the years' if you're looking for comfortable all day pedaling...Leatt Air flex pro...I bought mine at Universal Cycles. Order two different sizes, and return the one that doesn't fit.
    https://www.universalcycles.com/

http://www.leatt.com/shop/body-protection.html?cat=389

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Trail Head Cyclery has the best selection locally, otherwise I just buy online(Amazon, Jenson).

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by griz View Post
    I've had a few different ones over the years' if you're looking for comfortable all day pedaling...Leatt Air flex pro...I bought mine at Universal Cycles. Order two different sizes, and return the one that doesn't fit.

The best today is this. Stone cold winner.

The best low cost one is the Alpinestars Paragon. $40 retail.

There is a new Alpinestars that looks really awesome. It's the matching one to this elbow pad.

Which Knee Pads And Where To Get Them?-p4230034.jpg
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    I have the Alpinestars Paragon knee pads and they have been fantastic for the last year. I'd definitely buy them again.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

This.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD so please forgive the typos that occur when typing with two fingers.
    Riding slowly since 1977.

mtbr member
    I've tried several. Really liked the Dainese Trail Skins, but I ride flats and kept knicking the back of the pads, which caused holes in the rear of the pad. Still, awesome pads. Only bummer was that I had to buy online at Chain Reaction.

I'm currently using the Troy Lee Speed Sleeves for 90% if my rides, and the much burlier... Grenades (?) for, well, burlier downhill rides. For me, the Speed Sleeves provide just enough protection, stay in place (so important, as a lot of pads can take an impact but will slide off in an instant) and are comfy, washable (I'm on about 12 washes and they still look and fir like new) and not too hot.

Hank & Frank in Oakland and Lafayette and Rhythm Cycles in Oakland (Montclair) have the best pad selections I've seen. Oh, and the Hub in Napa. All 3 are great shops that actually carry mountain bikes and mountain bike gear. Rhythm is also only about a year or two old and worth checking out.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    "So you think it's the hat?... A lot of people hate this hat. It angers a lot of people, just the sight of it." - Uncle Buck

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P4230034.jpg 
Views:	259 
Size:	74.7 KB 
ID:	1133863
    FC, how would you compare those to the POC Joint Air?

Air Pirate
    ...Leatt Air flex pro... Order two different sizes, and return the one that doesn't fit.
    So this is the wisdom on how to order Leatt pads? I was interested in pads from them, looked at the sizing info online and it did not make much sense (discrepancy between airflex and airflex pro at the time) so I tried emailing several times to get the real skinny on sizing. Did not even receive a "F*ck you" back. I abhor brands that cannot be bothered answering a simple question/give poor customer service with multiple attempts at contact by the consumer. Soured me on the idea of Leatt. Went with some Fox Enduro knee pads (easily obtainable at REI) and Kali Veda elbow pads (ridiculous price at Pricepoint closeout/company shutdown).
    "You're messing with my zen thing, man!"

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by ForbiddenBeat View Post
    FC, how would you compare those to the POC Joint Air?
    So the POC Joint VPD was no good for me. It was just too tight, stiff and small. The material would soften a bit with heat and use and would become more comfortable after a while.

The Leatt Airflex Pro is straight up dialed. I put it on, climb 4000 feet and don't even think about them anymore. I crashed on the Airflex non Pro version and it protected my knees well. This one, no crash yet.

For POC, they're coming out with a new knee pad that should be a whole lot better for all day use.

Video here as Crossfit Mal hit me with a hammer a little hard on the 5th blow and I thought I was screwed. 20 seconds later, the pain went away.

POC VPD knee pads and Tectal helmet details - Mtbr.com
    IPA will save America

Trail Gnome Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bokchoicowboy View Post
    So this is the wisdom on how to order Leatt pads? I was interested in pads from them, looked at the sizing info online and it did not make much sense (discrepancy between airflex and airflex pro at the time) so I tried emailing several times to get the real skinny on sizing. Did not even receive a "F*ck you" back. I abhor brands that cannot be bothered answering a simple question/give poor customer service with multiple attempts at contact by the consumer. Soured me on the idea of Leatt. Went with some Fox Enduro knee pads (easily obtainable at REI) and Kali Veda elbow pads (ridiculous price at Pricepoint closeout/company shutdown).
    Unless you can try products on locally...I almost always order two different sizes, and keep the one that fits...if it fits. Gloves and shorts especially. Do you really use a chart to see how things fit?

Curmudgeon
    I'm digging the Alpinestars Volcano knee and elbow guards. Very comfortable when pedaling on long ascents and offer enough protection for typical ski resort flow trails. They run true to size. Got them at Backcountry dot com, free shipping and no sales tax to Cali.

https://www.backcountry.com/Store/ca...nestars+guards

Another great source with all the brands is All Sport Protection:

https://www.allsportprotection.com/M...e_Gear_s/4.htm

-S

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    So the POC Joint VPD was no good for me. It was just too tight, stiff and small. The material would soften a bit with heat and use and would become more comfortable after a while.

The Leatt Airflex Pro is straight up dialed. I put it on, climb 4000 feet and don't even think about them anymore. I crashed on the Airflex non Pro version and it protected my knees well. This one, no crash yet.

For POC, they're coming out with a new knee pad that should be a whole lot better for all day use.

Video here as Crossfit Mal hit me with a hammer a little hard on the 5th blow and I thought I was screwed. 20 seconds later, the pain went away.

POC VPD knee pads and Tectal helmet details - Mtbr.com
    Awesome, thanks for the info. I'll get some Leatts to start, and see what POC comes out with. Cheers!

Air Pirate
    Do you really use a chart to see how things fit?
    No...I start with that and then usually check out reviews on the 'net...such as what should exist on MTBR. Sadly, most reviews of just about anything that you need to determine size on consist of " XXXX-product is cool" or "best I every tried" or "Better than XXXX-brand"...nice, but not descriptive enough. What I will usually do is enter a search for the product in Google and then look at the image results. That ends up being the easiest way to find any review a conscientious product user has shared on a website/blog that goes to the depth I am looking for. I give thanks to those who spend the time to share their experiences with a product so other consumers can make an educated decision.
    "You're messing with my zen thing, man!"

fc
    stoked Administrator
    I wrote this a year ago and it's still cool!!!!

Round-up: Best new lightweight knee and elbow pads - Mtbr.com

Things to note:
    - this attacks the market we're most interested in, lightweight, wear and forget knee pads. If you have to pull it up and down 5 times like a rigid post, it interferes with the ride.

- 1621.1 EN is the European test to be certified as a knee pad. Without that, it can just be a piece of cardboard and be called a knee pad. 1621.2 is better and is motorcycle level. There are higher levels of protection available.

- Weight and ventilation are key. And the hardest to judge of all... flexibility and ease of pedaling.

Round-up: Best new lightweight knee and elbow pads - Mtbr.com
    IPA will save America

fc
    stoked Administrator
    short descriptions on select pads.

2016 Holiday Gift Guide: Armor and protection - Mtbr.com
    Which Knee Pads And Where To Get Them?-leatt-airflex-pro.jpg

I love this subject since I think every man, woman child should be wearing knee pads. And we're at a point in technology now where products exist that don't interfere with the ride too much.
    IPA will save America

Trail Gnome Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ForbiddenBeat View Post
    Awesome, thanks for the info. I'll get some Leatts to start, and see what POC comes out with. Cheers!
    Good choice. I found the Leatt knee pads to offer more protection, and comfort over the g-form. I haven't had a major crash in them yet...just a slide out and touch my knee down. JCWages should chime in...seems like he is always testing out his protective gear.

The Leatt Airflex Pro's stay in place when riding; I leave them on my knees the entire ride, climbing or descending.

Curmudgeon
    This image in thread post #5 is showing the new A-stars Vento elbow guard, similar to the Volcano. The Vento knee guard is not as nice as the Volcano which has two elastic velcro straps for adjustable fit.

http://www.alpinestars.com/cycling/protection

-S

Trail Gnome Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bokchoicowboy View Post
    No...I start with that and then usually check out reviews on the 'net...such as what should exist on MTBR. Sadly, most reviews of just about anything that you need to determine size on consist of " XXXX-product is cool" or "best I every tried" or "Better than XXXX-brand"...nice, but not descriptive enough. What I will usually do is enter a search for the product in Google and then look at the image results. That ends up being the easiest way to find any review a conscientious product user has shared on a website/blog that goes to the depth I am looking for. I give thanks to those who spend the time to share their experiences with a product so other consumers can make an educated decision.
    It's tough to do an accurate review on something like clothing or gear; everyone has a different body type, shape, existing injuries...so fit is going to vary. On top of that quality control is pretty low; I can try on three different pairs of gloves, and they all fit differently. I try to point out things I think are an issue. Durability is one thing that should be listed in reviews for sure.

fc
    stoked Administrator
    It's tough to do an accurate review on something like clothing or gear; everyone has a different body type, shape, existing injuries...so fit is going to vary. On top of that quality control is pretty low; I can try on three different pairs of gloves, and they all fit differently. I try to point out things I think are an issue. Durability is one thing that should be listed in reviews for sure.
    Knee pads are really not that hard to review but there's two big issues.

Anyway, people can talk about construction, fit, ventilation, articulation and robustness. Also, do they stay in place and/or interfere with the ride.

So everyone should talk about their experiences about them and discuss these things. Sooooo much has evolved in the lightweight knee pad category in the last few years.

Then there's constants like weight and EN standardized testing. How much do they weigh and do they pass the standardized blow and anvil tests?

But here's the two problems:
    - their main job is to protect the knee in a crash. It is very hard to crash on purpose and evaluate how well the pads did the job.

- most people have only tried one lightweight knee pad (since it's an evolving category). So folks have to say how many they've tried and how they're using it. All day or downhill only? Put the knee pad up and down or just keep it in place.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    The most comfortable I have used is the Specialized Atlas. They are not the greatest in protection but they are the most comfortable. I just can't stand pads that are uncomfortable when pedaling for a longer duration.

It would be cool if the companies started to make some lightweight knee pads that you don't have to take off your shoes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I've had TLDs, POCs, G-Forms, and Leatts. The Leatts pedal the best and are the coolest. They breath better than the G-Forms, which are next best, probably due to the lighter material in the rear and the cut-out. Their protection feels considerably more substantial than the G-Form, especially on the sides of the knee.

That said, the sizing is a bit odd or small. I find the lower cuff to be incredibly tight (it gets pushed up by my calves) while the top sort of works its way down. I'm a size medium in like everything (5'8"+, ~155-160 lbs), so I'm surprised that I should have gotten a large. Definitely try multiple sizes. My only other complaints are that the back material is kind of flimsy (I have 1 tear in it from a flat pedal spike), and in one superman crash I did manage to pull a pad down resulting in a gash on my knee. Based on the angle though, I'm not sure any other lightweight pad would have stayed in place.

Seeing Fcs' post above now, I'd add that I always leave my pads on for 100% of my ride. A typical ride for me is ~2000 vert / 10 miles.

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by aliikane View Post
    The most comfortable I have used is the Specialized Atlas. They are not the greatest in protection but they are the most comfortable. I just can't stand pads that are uncomfortable when pedaling for a longer duration.

It would be cool if the companies started to make some lightweight knee pads that you don't have to take off your shoes.
    These are not my favorite. It's basically a knee warmer with a protective sheath that's often in a crumpled state. Not much ventilation and top of the knee warmer drops down unless tucked under a lycra inner short.

Also does not pass EN testing since does not offer enough protection.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by inonjoey View Post
    I've tried several. Really liked the Dainese Trail Skins, but I ride flats and kept knicking the back of the pads, which caused holes in the rear of the pad. Still, awesome pads.
    Hey first thing, thanks for the replies guys!

I always end up doing some bushwhacking or riding in tight trails so I would like a pad that would take some abuse and wouldn't get torn up that easily.

How have your guys pads held up? Do they have a bunch tears or holes?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronT123 View Post
    Hey first thing, thanks for the replies guys!

I always end up doing some bushwhacking or riding in tight trails so I would like a pad that would take some abuse and wouldn't get torn up that easily.

How have your guys pads held up? Do they have a bunch tears or holes?

Thanks
    I've had zero luck ordering pads based on size charts. But I can recommend the POC VPD 2.0 knee pads. I put them on at the start of the ride and totally forget about them, sometimes driving home without taking them off if I'm in a hurry.
    Been 2 years and they only now have some tiny holes and have stretched a little bit.
    Best thing I can say is that I'll buy the exact same pads when these die or walk off.

Trail Gnome Moderator
    I tested out my Leatt Airflex Pro knee pads today. I plowed right thru the manzanita, while the trail went right. Knee pads are fine, my knee is fine, but my shin and knuckles are a different story

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    I'm currently running a pair of TLD 5450's. I specifically go tthem as I wanted as much lower leg overage as possible against branches, po etc. I always put them on at the start of the ride and leave them on the entire ride.

On the pro side, they offer pretty good protection and have stood up to direct and side impacts while keeping my soft bits intact and the price point was good (sub $100).

On the cons side, they get pretty warm, it's not uncommon for them to be soaked in sweat by the time I'm done with a ride. Also a much bigger issue is lately they've started slipping down from the top of the knee, requiring me to reach down and yank them up. That's annoying as all hell. I don't know if the slipping is because I'm about 10lbs lighter than when I bought them or because they're older and stretched out or a combo of both.

My typical rides in Annadel are right around 12 mi with 1400ft vert though I have logged longer 20+mi and 2500ft vert rides.

I may look for a leatt or poc for knee protection, and pair that with compression socks for the lower leg PO and scratch protection.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jukas View Post
    I'm currently running a pair of TLD 5450's. I specifically go tthem as I wanted as much lower leg overage as possible against branches, po etc. I always put them on at the start of the ride and leave them on the entire ride.

On the pro side, they offer pretty good protection and have stood up to direct and side impacts while keeping my soft bits intact and the price point was good (sub $100).

On the cons side, they get pretty warm, it's not uncommon for them to be soaked in sweat by the time I'm done with a ride. Also a much bigger issue is lately they've started slipping down from the top of the knee, requiring me to reach down and yank them up. That's annoying as all hell. I don't know if the slipping is because I'm about 10lbs lighter than when I bought them or because they're older and stretched out or a combo of both.

My typical rides in Annadel are right around 12 mi with 1400ft vert though I have logged longer 20+mi and 2500ft vert rides.

I may look for a leatt or poc for knee protection, and pair that with compression socks for the lower leg PO and scratch protection.
    I have those and am not a big fan. I got them right before we went to whistler last summer and they worked perfectly fine for that. But on everyday rides they are a little too bulky and uncomfortable when pedaling around. So my knees have been naked for the last few months as I'm too cheap to buy a better pair.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RBoardman View Post
    I have those and am not a big fan. I got them right before we went to whistler last summer and they worked perfectly fine for that. But on everyday rides they are a little too bulky and uncomfortable when pedaling around. So my knees have been naked for the last few months as I'm too cheap to buy a better pair.
    I was really psyched about the level of protection these would provide, but they never (ever) stayed in place. Fatal flaw. I really like the speed sleeves and the grenade (I'm not making up the name, right?) though.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    "So you think it's the hat?... A lot of people hate this hat. It angers a lot of people, just the sight of it." - Uncle Buck

mtbr member
    These are not my favorite. It's basically a knee warmer with a protective sheath that's often in a crumpled state. Not much ventilation and top of the knee warmer drops down unless tucked under a lycra inner short.

Also does not pass EN testing since does not offer enough protection.
    Yeah, I know they are not much better than wearing jeans, but comfort is big priority for me. I tried several knee pads and the Atlas is the only ones I can pedal with for a long time. The Leatt ones you showed look pretty good, but still on an obsessive mission for the elusive "don't have to remove the shoes" ones that are uber comfortable. Haha.

mtbr member

Would you say the same for elbow guards?
    Velofix.com for mobile bike repair in Sac

mtbr member
    After my last crash, I had my eye on the Endura MTR Knee guards. Super lightweight and breathable, but able to take a hit. I have been stoked on my Endura shorts, gloves, and shoe covers, I don't doubt these are bombproof and comf.
    Which Knee Pads And Where To Get Them?-endura_mtr-knee-guard_koroyd-honeycomb-absorbing-viscoelastic-enduro-trail-mountain-bike-knee-pa.jpg
    East Bay Parks AKA East Bay Cattle Ranches

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanxj View Post
    Would you say the same for elbow guards?
    Yes!

One thing about elbow pads though is they are generally a pain in the ass. Most modern day light knee pads now are held up by the calf since it is a bigger diameter than the knee. No straps are needed and it stays up all day.

The elbow on the other hand is next to the forearm that tapers to the wrist. So it's hard to keep in place as it just slides down unless straps or grippy material is used. And it has to be tiiiight.

fc
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    [QUOTE=fc;13140947]short descriptions on select pads.

[url=http://reviews.mtbr.com/2016
    Just curious why you think everyone should ride with knee pads. Kinda seems like the cool new enduro thing to do. Maybe I'm old school, but it wasn't long ago that DH riders were the only ones wearing pads. While I'm sure it's happened at some point, I've never heard of someone breaking a kneecap on a ride. Maybe a couple times a year I'll draw a little blood and do a Peter Griffin imitation. But that said, I'm thinking about picking up a pair that I could pedal in all day for some burlier rides or for sending jumps. But then I might start thinking I should have elbow pads and a full face (the new proframe looks nice). Kinda wondering where I should draw the line for standard protection.

mtbr member

Knee pads are like saddles: everyone knows what works best for his/her ass.

I am with Endura now, good stuff. Tld 5450 don't have lateral knee protection, just be aware depending on your falling habits. POC are good but out of the budget I want for soft pads that will be worn after 2 seasons.

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by hurtssogood View Post
    Just curious why you think everyone should ride with knee pads....
    Knee pads are like gloves and helmets. They're there for precaution and are only great when you crash.

And the key thing to remember is: "We never plan our next crash." Most crashes are from routine rides and inattention. And when one is learning and expanding their skills there's more opportunity to hit the ground.

The problem is knee pads used to be stone cold AWFUL. They were hot, heavy and restricted movement. So although they made sense, it was just unreasonable to wear them on anything but a shuttle ride.

But now technology has caught up and we have knee pads that weight 141 grams A PAIR!. Articulation is good and they use soft, space-age materials that harden on impact.

So... I like to implore everyone to try the new knee pads and wear them on every (decent) ride. It's just like a knee warmer (but cooler) we can all come to back to work monday morning but not bleeding or on crutches. Breaking a knee cap is unlikely in the Bay Area. But cutting up your knee or injuring it is very common. Much more common than head blows, i think.

It's like gloves though. Not everyone wants them... until they need them.
    IPA will save America

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by OS-KR View Post
    Knee pads are like saddles: everyone knows what works best for his/her ass.
    I think a small minority ride with knee pads or have tried the new crop of lightweight ones.

And most folks have only tried a pair or two. Sooo, it is a new unknown but a really interesting category of our sport.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member

I think a small minority ride with knee pads or have tried the new crop of lightweight ones.

And most folks have only tried a pair or two. Sooo, it is a new unknown but a really interesting category of our sport.
    Yes, you are right. My point is that reviews is just a starting point. You need to use them before you know jf they fit you for long rides. What works for you might be a nightmare for me, even with leader brands.

mtbr member
    What about gloves with knuckle protection? How have they evolved? What is available?

fc
    stoked Administrator

What about gloves with knuckle protection? How have they evolved? What is available?
    Leatt DBX is good since they use an unobtrusive impact hardening material.
    IPA will save America

bad reputation
    Washed out on a high speed off-camber turn on Saturday and even with full finger gloves ripped the nail off of my left pinkie finger. Over 30 mile ride and it happened at the halfway point...rode with 3 fingers the rest of the day and yesterday. Found the nail in the end of my glove getting ready to ride Sunday

No matter how protected you are, there's always parts that are vulnerable.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by turfnsurf View Post
    Washed out on a high speed off-camber turn on Saturday and even with full finger gloves ripped the nail off of my left pinkie finger. Over 30 mile ride and it happened at the halfway point...rode with 3 fingers the rest of the day and yesterday. Found the nail in the end of my glove getting ready to ride Sunday

Word

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by turfnsurf View Post

Just think what would have happened if you weren't wearing gloves.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    I have ordered those leatt. Thanks for the advice fc, I have been riding without gloves for a year or so, but now I am trying to catch up a little with my riding.

fc
    stoked Administrator
    I have ordered those leatt. Thanks for the advice fc, I have been riding without gloves for a year or so, but now I am trying to catch up a little with my riding.
    Nice. Keep us posted.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member

Dont Forget FOX Enduro

Nice. Keep us posted.
    Been using FOX enduro Knee and elbow pads for the past 1.5 Yrs--crashed pretty good a few weeks ago--all good and ZERO road rash. I put them in pack for ascent and put them on for the decent. Odd as I went over a year with NO crashes--so NO testing--jinxed it when it dried out this year

fc
    stoked Administrator
    I got two new contenders.... the new POC and the new Raceface. I'll break out the hammer later.

Is there something else I can hit (beneath the pads) to demonstrate? Aside from my knee?
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Fox Launch Pro on my knees for gnarly, and Fox Dirt Paws (dirtbike gloves with knuckle protection) on my hands always.

HOWEVER, the thistle thorn weeds are handlebar high on lower Lime Ridge and still poke thru the Dirt Paws between the knuckle ribs. Grrr...

I need flag-style handguards on my MTB!

The Launch Pros kept the thorns out of my knees this morning. :-)

Catfish ...

mtbr member
    Lime sure does need a good weed whackin'..
    East Bay Parks AKA East Bay Cattle Ranches

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by motocatfish View Post
    Fox Launch Pro on my knees for gnarly, and Fox Dirt Paws (dirtbike gloves with knuckle protection) on my hands always.

HOWEVER, the thistle thorn weeds are handlebar high on lower Lime Ridge and still poke thru the Dirt Paws between the knuckle ribs. Grrr...

I need flag-style handguards on my MTB!

The Launch Pros kept the thorns out of my knees this morning. :-)

Catfish ...
    They do make them: https://www.avs-racing.com/index.php/en/

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I really like my TLD 5400's, never been a knee pad guy till last season. I don't feel them, they don't move and the protection is very good

Troy Lee Designs KGS 5400 Knee Guards | Chain Reaction Cycles

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Pride View Post
    I really like my TLD 5400's, never been a knee pad guy till last season. I don't feel them, they don't move and the protection is very good

Troy Lee Designs KGS 5400 Knee Guards | Chain Reaction Cycles
    That is the goal. They become just like gloves at some point. Technology helps.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Just picked up a pair of these from Trail Head. Not too sure about them now that I pedaled around a little outside. They were what the the guys in the store recommended, but they weren't too comfortable on the rear of the knee. (Maybe I'm just not used to it yet)

I wanted to get the Leatt ones you guys were talking about, but they didn't have them in stock.

And it's funny that on the packaging it says "to be used indoors only".

Over it
    Jun 2010
    I had those before my current Leatt's (I still use the elbows because I'm too cheap to get rid of them). They--the older ones anyway--were kinda flimsy and for me they would slide around a bit. But then I was using them outside!
    Friends don't let friends ride e-"bikes" on dirt.

"I'm just a big snitch with man boobs!" ~ GGG

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I just got a pair of the new Fox Attacks, which have D3O padding on the knuckles. I don't notice it's there, and actually didn't really buy the gloves for that reason (I just needed replacements for my previous Attacks, which didn't have that feature). But, I don't really notice it, and I'm sure I'll be glad to have it someday.

mtbr member
    Thx man

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Just picked up a pair of these from Trail Head. Not too sure about them now that I pedaled around a little outside. They were what the the guys in the store recommended, but they weren't too comfortable on the rear of the knee. (Maybe I'm just not used to it yet)

I wanted to get the Leatt ones you guys were talking about, but they didn't have them in stock.

And it's funny that on the packaging it says "to be used indoors only".
    Return those!!

If it binds up on the back of the knee, it will just be worse on the trail. It fits some people with no binding but not most.

They don't pass any EN standardized testing and they have no ventilation.

But.. they are the lightest and they pioneered this lightweight category. their new ones (coming soon) are much better.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Return those!!

If it binds up on the back of the knee, it will just be worse on the trail. It fits some people with no binding but not most.

They don't pass any EN standardized testing and they have no ventilation.

But.. they are the lightest and they pioneered this lightweight category. their new ones (coming soon) are much better.
    Ok, you've convinced me. Only reason I bought these was to have them for this weekend. But I guess it won't be worth it if they are not comfortable in the long run. Back to the shop they go.

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Ok, you've convinced me. Only reason I bought these was to have them for this weekend. But I guess it won't be worth it if they are not comfortable in the long run. Back to the shop they go.
    What size are you?
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    What size are you?
    Probably medium in most brands, but for those G-forms the large felt like a better fit.

Trying to figure out proper size and fit is one of the things I hate most about shopping for gear. You can read all the reviews you want, but until you try it on you may as well just be guessing.

mtbr member
    fc/everyone,

Have you tried the Dainese Trail Skins knee/elbow pads, and how do they compare to the Leatt stuff?

Ive got a pair of RaceFace Ambush, which are awesome, but overkill and hot for trail riding. Ive heard that the Dainese stuff ventilates great.
    Velofix.com for mobile bike repair in Sac

fc
    stoked Administrator
    The latest stuff from Sea otter is summarized here.

10 new protection products to keep you safer on the trail - Mtbr.com
    IPA will save America

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanxj View Post
    fc/everyone,

Have you tried the Dainese Trail Skins knee/elbow pads, and how do they compare to the Leatt stuff?

Ive got a pair of RaceFace Ambush, which are awesome, but overkill and hot for trail riding. Ive heard that the Dainese stuff ventilates great.
    Dainese Trail Skins are very good. They're very protective and pass euro tests. They're not as molded or 'joint fitting' as Leatt. They've addressed that with Trail Skins 2.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member

The latest stuff from Sea otter is summarized here.

10 new protection products to keep you safer on the trail - Mtbr.com
    Finally Mtb411 and fc could meet and smoothen things

Captain One Lung SuperModerator
    For regular light riding I still like the Fox Launch Enduro. I forget I have them on such that I've finished a ride, drove home, washed the bikes and then started cooking dinner before I bothered to take them off. They are good for light crashes and won't help much with hard direct impacts. I use the Race Face Ambush for rougher rides. For elbows I just use the Enduro guards when I bother wearing elbow protection.

Jeni rides with the G-forms, Fox Launch Enduro or Race Face Charge. She tried the 7idp Covert, POF VPD and a few others but didn't like them. I think she is getting the Fox Launch Pro for her job at Northstar this summer.

bad reputation
    Finally Mtb411 and fc could meet and smoothen things
    ^^^ that's funny!!! ^^^

mtbr member
    Dainese Trail Skins for UCSC/Demo rides.
    Alpinestar Paragon for Annadel/Skyline type rides.
    Fox Launch Pro for lift assisted/shuttle rides (I also use these pads when my knees are feeling loose as they also feel like a knee brace to me).
    Naked knees for most East Bay and Peninsula riding (Arastradero, Skeggs, Russian Ridge, etc...)

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by flipnidaho View Post
    Dainese Trail Skins for UCSC/Demo rides.
    Alpinestar Paragon for Annadel/Skyline type rides.
    Fox Launch Pro for lift assisted/shuttle rides (I also use these pads when my knees are feeling loose as they also feel like a knee brace to me).
    Naked knees for most East Bay and Peninsula riding (Arastradero, Skeggs, Russian Ridge, etc...)
    On the days your knees are feeling loose???

You're like a product tester, switching knee pads all the time. I think you'll like the Leatt Airflex Pro. Perfect fit and a little compression.

I wear knee pads sometimes at Fremont Older!
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Ive tried the TLD raids but too hot and gave me a weird stuffing under my knee. I went back to my coverts which is excellent but missing the side protection. Looking for some elbow protection that is light, comfy, and not hot and stays in place. Im still using my fox launch pro elbows which has worked great. Low profile and easily washable. Has saved my a bunch. I even wear long sleeves for scrapes and padded knuckles from poc for hitting trees in tight spots. Now i need a parachute for the times i fall off a cliff.

I think I'll add the leatt airflex pro to the list of things to try. I like the hard shell of the covert, not sure if thats a false sense of security. I only use the hard shell and thinner insert.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jacksonlui; 05-13-2017 at 03:58 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I have converted from POC to Leatt pads. They stay put like no others and the Aiflex pads are actually comfortable enough, you don't really notice them. (I use the full length pads for the bike park). I don't generally wear the pads around the bay, but do when trail riding in the sierras. There are lots of sharp rocks up there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD so please forgive the typos that occur when typing with two fingers.
    Riding slowly since 1977.

mtbr member

Nice. Keep us posted.
    I bought the 3.0.

Really nice and fresh mesh, really nice. The knuckle protection, I would prefer it to be all one piece instead of independent bits for each knuckle. But they are so much more comfortable than the fox bombers! Now, I need one year of usage to see if they pass my durability test !

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    I really like the Dakine Slayers. Light, but way more impact protection than the Fox Enduros. Wore them for 24 miles in Auburn today, so they're comfy enough. They did irritate the back of my knees for the first few rides, but have since broken in nicely. I might pick up the elbow pads too.

https://www.rei.com/product/112700/d...ayer-knee-pads

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I like the look of those Dakine Slayer knee pads. Wondering how the fit worked out for you? My thigh (per their measuring tech) is right at 19" L or XL?

Cheers,
    Mike

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I'm 5'10" 165 lbs, "regular" size thighs and calves. Should I get large Leatt Airflex Pros? I don't really want to order 2 pairs

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by derekbob View Post
    I'm 5'10" 165 lbs, "regular" size thighs and calves. Should I get large Leatt Airflex Pros? I don't really want to order 2 pairs
    My gut reply would be yes. I'm 5'8", 160, generally size medium, have medium Airflex Pros and they're very snug on my calves and snug on my quads.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Andeh View Post
    My gut reply would be yes. I'm 5'8", 160, generally size medium, have medium Airflex Pros and they're very snug on my calves and snug on my quads.
    Thanks for the reply. I ordered a pair. I've been wanting knee pads for a while. The new Jump trail up here in Redding convinced me to finally buy some.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016

Quote Originally Posted by derekbob View Post
    5'10 180lbs here. I ordered the large Airflex pro's based upon their sizing guide. Hopefully I don't end up having to exchange them
    Last edited by Jukas; 05-16-2017 at 02:31 PM.

mtbr member
    I just bought the Leatt AirFlex Pro XL. I'm 6'1" 195lbs. Fit is snug.
    The only easy day was yesterday.

mtbr member
    Griz, you should be getting a commission check from Leatt from all the new customers they are getting from this thread.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Snug good or bad?

Quote Originally Posted by 5k bike 50cent legs View Post
    I just bought the Leatt AirFlex Pro XL. I'm 6'1" 195lbs. Fit is snug.
    Fit is "snug" as in good? Or "snug" as in I wish they were bigger?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hokeypokey View Post
    Fit is "snug" as in good? Or "snug" as in I wish they were bigger?
    I'd say they are about right.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    I bought the Alpinestars Paragon Knee Guard, Black, Large and took them on my first ride this morning. Wasn't sure initially that they'd be comfortable. I sweat an above-average amount and my calves are pretty large so was concerned they'd chafe or be super hot on the climbs.

But actually I didn't notice them at all during about 1000ft of climbing. As others have been saying here if anything they functioned quite nicely as knee warmers (and warm joints are happy joints).

I didn't wash out on the loose rocky descent sections of trail in Tilden where I've fallen before - fortunately - so I don't have any info on protection. However they feel very solid.

For less than $40 on Amazon I highly recommend them so far.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    If you use platform pedals, I highly recommend the RaceFace Flanks, if you can find them on sale. Most comfy knee/shin armor I've worn. Sad it only lasted me a year before it started to tear and get overly loose.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by zooey View Post
    If you use platform pedals, I highly recommend the RaceFace Flanks, if you can find them on sale. Most comfy knee/shin armor I've worn. Sad it only lasted me a year before it started to tear and get overly loose.
    Looks like they'd offer good protection from the shin killers, but man they look they'd be a total sweat fest. I prefer not to roast when I ride.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by mbcracken View Post
    I like the look of those Dakine Slayer knee pads. Wondering how the fit worked out for you? My thigh (per their measuring tech) is right at 19" L or XL?

Cheers,
    Mike
    I was right on the cusp of 2 sizes too and went with the smaller. Glad I did as they have loosened up some.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Looks like they'd offer good protection from the shin killers, but man they look they'd be a total sweat fest. I prefer not to roast when I ride.
    Rode with them in both hot & humid parts of the country and in dry triple digit heat. I honestly forget about 'em, unless I got some sand or other grit on the inside of it. It soaks up the sweat and doesn't cause any temp regulation probs for me. I think it may be better than the Ambush, since it covers more and therefore wouldn't cause a contrast between exposed skin (that gets caked in dust and stickiness).

Hmm, maybe the contrast of heat (hot spot over the knee) is one reason why I disliked the POC VPD 2.0s which were obviously very warm feeling. The other reason was because it felt harder than expected. Never really liked hardshell pads. People's description of Fox Launch pads reminds me of my experience with 661 Kyle Straits. Comfy, but lets any direct impact through. I'd get "road rash" through Kyle Straits and G-Forms when falling and sliding with them on, just a bit reduced with cleaner wounds than if I didn't have 'em on. Still softens the hard blows enough to warrant wearing them over nothing. Just that the RF pads are far better. Didn't know what to think of Troy Lee KG pads... the hard shell feel kind of threw me off, but it's one of the few brands that have figured out how to direct the straps above the calf to keep the pads up.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Just got my L air flex pros in. I'm wondering how snug these are supposed to be as I can get them on and in the right position but they're noticeable snug especially at the calf.

Now I'm wondering if I should order the xl and send these back or if these are the right size and they're just naturally snug to prevent slipping.

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Just got my L air flex pros in. I'm wondering how snug these are supposed to be as I can get them on and in the right position but they're noticeable snug especially at the calf.

Now I'm wondering if I should order the xl and send these back or if these are the right size and they're just naturally snug to prevent slipping.
    They should not be that tight.

They'll break in a little bit but they should not be uncomfortable when brand new. Even when not tight, they will stay on because of some sticky grippers and because they are primarily held up by your calf.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Just got a pair of the Leatt pros in XL. The revised sizing chart on their website seems fairly accurate. They feel good on my thighs but are tight enough on my calves that I am considering returning them (and, according to their chart, my lower measurement puts me just in the XXL range and my upper measurement in the top end of the large range).

Wēk Ss
    wow, technology sure has changed since I got my pads. I have older Fox Launch Pro knee/shin from way back when. They always fall down, can't get it to stick.

mtbr member
    I have both the Paragon and the Airflex Pro. They feel the same but you obviously get more protection from the Airflex. Make sure to check sizing on the manufacturer's website. I wear medium for Paragon and Large for Airflex. Be careful when wearing or removing both as they can rip if you don't spread your grip as you pull. The silicon inside does a great job at gripping so if the tension is concentrated on a small part of the sleeve while you're pulling, it'll rip. I try to get a grip on the kneecap pad itself since it's more durable than the sleeve.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I ordered a bunch of trail specific knee pads a couple of months ago and wound up keeping the 7 Transitions.

I tried -

Troy Lee Speed Knee: protection too minimal
    Alpinestars Paragon: good protection, pretty bulky/hot
    Dakine Slayer: good protection, pretty bulky/hot
    Fox Launch: too bulky

I skipped the Leatts due to QC issues I've seen with them (stitching coming apart quick) and G-forms (not enough protection for knees IMHO - although I use them for elbow skin retention).

The 7s fit really well (better then all the pads listed above), the pad part molds to your knees, doesn't move and is a nice thick sas-tech type foam that gives good protection. I've done some 3.5 hour rides in East Bay heat and they've maintained being comfortable the whole day.

mtbr member

I bought the 3.0.

Really nice and fresh mesh, really nice. The knuckle protection, I would prefer it to be all one piece instead of independent bits for each knuckle. But they are so much more comfortable than the fox bombers! Now, I need one year of usage to see if they pass my durability test !
    So the gloves did not pass the durability test. Lost one of them today

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I'm a bit of a pad hoarder and decided to try out the Airflex Pro's per everyone's advice and have to say I really like them.

Really comfortable and feel like they would offer decent protection haven't crashed (yet).

Followed their sizing chart which put me in an L. No way a medium would of fit me. I oscillate between M & L in everything from bikes to clothing.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by shapethings View Post
    I'm a bit of a pad hoarder and decided to try out the Airflex Pro's per everyone's advice and have to say I really like them.

Really comfortable and feel like they would offer decent protection haven't crashed (yet).

Followed their sizing chart which put me in an L. No way a medium would of fit me. I oscillate between M & L in everything from bikes to clothing.
    Have you tried the coverts and can do a comparison? Im on my 5th set of knee pads in 2yrs. Coverts are good but lack side protection. The raids were comfy but too hot. Fox launch pros are good, maybe overkill. The gforms are a joke. Original dianese wasnt comfortable for me but liked the ventilation. The airflex seems to check all the boxes on paper. Not hot, light, side protection, pedal friendly, secure and doesnt ride up.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Just picked up these from a friend. Will give an update on the iXS after a few rides.

mtbr member
    Rode the Leatt Airflex Pro this weekend in the hot weather. Very comfortable and not too hot.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I have never worn knee pads but will be picking up a pair here in the near future after a recent series of knee ouchies.Which Knee Pads And Where To Get Them?-knee-ouchie.jpg
    pardon the bony joints... it's a gift.

mtbr member
    I bought the Leatts a couple months back and returned them. I did not like the fit at all and I prefer a pad that I can slide down to my ankles for climbs without hassle. I'm sticking with my IXS for now.
    I'm not sure how this works.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast