mtbr member

Kirkwood Nine to Five #2

Saturday, Sept. 18
    http://teambigfoot.net/KW9to52010Two.htm

Here's another chance for endurance racers to enjoy Kirkwood's beautiful and challenging racing. For this one we're going back to the tough, 5.1 mile technical version that so many riders loved at last year's Kirkwood Nine to Five. Team Bigfoot's course crew will arrive early and will spend a few days on the Red Cliffs trail getting it groomed.

WHERE IS IT? Kirkwood is located 30 miles from Tahoe and has a great course network for trail cross-country ski trails that when the snow is gone, make a great all singletrack mountain bike course! As you can see by the photos above the terrain is beautiful!

WHERE CAN WE STAY? The resort has a full range of accommodations; condos, hotels, cabins and campgrounds. Camping is available right across the road from the venue.

HOW DOES AN ENDURANCE RACE WORK? It's simple, ride as many laps as you can between the start and the finish. This one starts at 9am and goes until 5pm, only laps COMPLETED by 5pm will count. In the event of a tie whoever completed that final lap first takes it. For teams only one rider can be on the course at a time and rider changes can take place anywhere but the timing table at the finish line. Teams are free to rotate riders however they wish, there are no minimum number of laps per rider, you can do one lap at a time, two at a time or whatever you want. Simple, eh?

Here's some helmet-cam footage shot last month on the Upper Corral Trail, which is also being used for this month's course.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Kirkwood Nine to Five #2-mtbrkwpics4.jpg  

Kirkwood Nine to Five #2-mtbrkwpics6.jpg  

Vegan Athlete
    Any word on camping at Kirkwood?
    Take a look at and consider "liking" my Vegan Athlete Facebook page.

mtbr member
    better bring an umbrella.... forecast not so good....

mtbr member
    Yup. In the lot near the pool/weight room. Got it in writing this time! , Friday and Saturday nights.
    Quote Originally Posted by vuduvgn
    Any word on camping at Kirkwood?
    "Yeah, Humboldt County is way the %#@* up there, but worth it!"

mtbr member

??

FROM NOAA.GOV

This Afternoon: Mostly sunny, with a high near 79. South wind around 10 mph.

Tonight: Clear, with a low around 40. Southwest wind between 5 and 10 mph.

Tuesday: Sunny, with a high near 75. Southwest wind between 5 and 10 mph.

Tuesday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 40. Southwest wind between 5 and 10 mph.

Wednesday: Sunny, with a high near 79. Southwest wind between 5 and 10 mph.

Wednesday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 40.

Thursday: Sunny, with a high near 81.

Thursday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 41.

Friday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 81.

Friday Night: A slight chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 41.

Saturday: A slight chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 78.

Saturday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 39.

Sunday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 76.

Quote Originally Posted by daggert
    better bring an umbrella.... forecast not so good....

mtbr member
    Course marking was completed this afternoon. The course is looking great! Last month's events did a good job of polishing out the racing line.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Question

How close to the course can a tent be set up? The reason I ask is because my husband and I are debating on racing it as a 2 person team, but we have a 1 year old babe. We were going to attempt to race and trade off watching the tot.
    I'm not sure if that is overly ambitious or what? It is either that or only 1 of us gets to race.

Unless of course someone wants to babysit all day and then we can both race!

mtbr member
    The course passes right through the main pit area, which is in the paved parking lot next to the resort's work-out room and pool.

Quote Originally Posted by amydalayna
    How close to the course can a tent be set up? The reason I ask is because my husband and I are debating on racing it as a 2 person team, but we have a 1 year old babe. We were going to attempt to race and trade off watching the tot.
    I'm not sure if that is overly ambitious or what? It is either that or only 1 of us gets to race.

Unless of course someone wants to babysit all day and then we can both race!

mtbr member
    Why is online registration closed?? I thought I had a 30 minute buffer to still register

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Yes. Very confusing. It even says:
    ON-LINE REGISTRATION WILL CLOSE AT NOON, SEPT. 17. YOU WILL STILL BE ABLE TO SIGN-UP ON FRIDAY FROM 3 TO 7PM .

mtbr member

Fixed it.

The issue is that bikereg.com is on the east coast. I just re-opened registration and it will stay open until 3pm Pacific Standard Time. You can register in person at Kirkwood until 7pm tonight or in the morning from 7am until 8:15.

Quote Originally Posted by amydalayna
    Yes. Very confusing. It even says:
    ON-LINE REGISTRATION WILL CLOSE AT NOON, SEPT. 17. YOU WILL STILL BE ABLE TO SIGN-UP ON FRIDAY FROM 3 TO 7PM .

mtbr member
    Thanks! I'm in. Couldn't convince Amy to join me in the coed team, but we'll be there. Weather looks decent, should be fun... hope there's a good turn out.

jms
    mtbr member

A Brief Race Report

Just back from Kirkwood this afternoon after taking my beating @ Kirkwood. What the second Kirkwood 9 to 5 might have lacked in attendance, it made up for with great weather and a brutally rugged course.

Though the Red Cliffs section of the 5 + mile loop is relatively short, maybe a mile and a half, what it lacks in length it makes up for technical features, it's kinda like riding through a life sized snow globe filled with, drops, rubble and cake mix, shaken vigorously, every lap through. And as a special, "only because Vic really loves you", there's even a don't go left or you'll die drop-off about 2/3 of the way through this little thrill ride. Rumor has it, Bigfoot had to promise to replace any broken windows in the condominiums below this section caused by falling riders. Toss in a nearly 7500 ft. base elevation and 800 feet of climbing per lap and it makes for a long, hard day in the saddle.

Aside from a headwind, the weather was tremendous all day, the nicest I've ever experienced in four years of racing Vic's events. After the first lap, I didn't even need arm warmers. Blake Bokius turned in 10 laps for the overall win, and Hyland Fisher did 9 laps for second, as did I. From the seventh lap on, the elevation really started taking a toll on me, and I couldn't keep my heart rate down on the climbs.

Ellen C.[?] WAS the woman's field, and pulled 8 laps for the win, in her first endurance race ever. After the race, I mentioned there are easier races to start doing this stuff. She replied, "I loved the Red Cliffs part!" I think she has a bright future...... in a slightly sick sort of way. With eight laps, the SS class went to my CCP compatriot Dave from Elko Nevada. And in the "I'll do it myself damn it" class, Dan Nelson turned in 6 laps on a gorgeous Ti 650B FS bike of his own design and manufacture. My feet and I were very envious of Dan's bike by the end of the day.....

I came out of the race relatively unscathed aside from cramping arches and numb feet from the 7 plus hours the course was beating the crap out of the bottom of them. Next year, I may have to consider something other than the hardtail for this gig. In a touching note of concern after the race, Vic asked, "are you alright? You weren't making many wise cracks today". Sorry Bud, I thought I'd stick with breathing since I was too deep in oxygen debt from the elevation to utter something witty/snide through scoring each lap. He forgave me... What a guy.

Thanks to the Bigfoot crew for a fun day. A huge thank you to Eric Ellis for handing me bottles, food and the boundless enthusiasm. And a huge congrats to everyone who competed out there and lived to tell. I didn't hear of Vic needing to replace any windows, or scape any body parts off the building below Red Cliffs.

All in all, a good day, and I'll be looking forward to a rematch with the Red Cliffs section next year.
    Last edited by jms; 09-19-2010 at 08:10 PM.