Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
    swag ho Administrator

Kings of Kennedy 2008 - Uphill time trial Sat, Sept. 6!!

The official date is Saturday, Sept. 6

The start times will be:
    9 am - 1 hour climbers
    9:15 - 35+ minute climbers
    9:30 - sub 35 minute climbers

Arrive 20 minutes before your start time and give us your name and start time. We will give you a colored sticker with a number. Stick the sticker on your stem. When reach the top, yell out your number and you're done.

----------

We need to get this going. We need some goals and motivation.

Let's throw out some dates. August 30? Sept. 6?

The object is to go up Kennedy trail as fast as possible (1800 feet in 4 miles I think). This is not a race or an event. We just need to time ourselves up the hill and maybe compare notes.

Any interest? Where's that old thread?

fc
    Last edited by francois; 08-20-2008 at 08:31 AM.
    IPA will save America

Slowest Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by francois
    We need to get this going. We need some goals and motivation.

Let's throw out some dates. August 30? Sept. 6?

The object is to go up Kennedy trail as fast as possible (1800 feet in 4 miles I think). This is not a race or an event. We just need to time ourselves up the hill and maybe compare notes.

Any interest? Where's that old thread?

fc
    The difference in altitude is 1800'. But there's some dips in the climb that total about another 100', so it's around 1900' of climb altogether.

Even though I'm usually at the bottom of the chart at around 75 minutes, I really enjoy and am amazed at seeing what others are capable of doing.
    It's not slow, it's doing more MTB time.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Was there this wknd, noticed that hardtail is about 10 minutes more efficient than a VPP bike.

The 1800' in 4 miles is deceiving IMO, if it was 450' per mile, that is not that steep at all.

There are times when the grade is so steep corner after corner, then after the resting point midway, I can ride big chainring for a while.

mtbr member
    So, when you say "get up" do you mean to interection with Priest Rock/Dogmeat, or where it ends at Woods/Limekiln? Either way, it sounds like a good diversion from my weekly "how fast to the top of Minehill?" ride

MSH
    mtbr member
    i think I'm in....August 30th much better for me. Will be in serious alcohol detox from companies sales meeting the week 9/2-9/5 if it's on the 6th LOL.

Haven't done Kennedy in a while at least a year or so (didnt do Kings v1 last yr). I think last effort on my 26er HT was a shade under 45 min. Hopefully can best that on the 29er HT this time around.

MSH

I'm disrespectful to dirt
    There were a few hiccups last year around the timing procedures and official course

Let's define the end point clearly now - even though the end point was called out last year, people still didn't read it or understand that it wasn't the signpost. We might just want to move it to the signpost... or stick with the top of the hill, as cherring everone up it was fun.

We'll then come up with some better process and timing methods as the date approaches... the biggest problem was the random mass of people starting at random times.

It was fun trying to record "guy on blue bike's time", and figure out if he started in group B, B-, C or maybe just riding for fun on his own. We'll either have paper plates and sharpie's at the start - no plate=no time, or maybe someone can get a set of race numbers donated...

190lbs of climber
    September 6 looks good for me. I should be heading out for school a week or two after that.

AS for the end point, I say keep it at the tree so we can compare times to last year's.
    THE BAY AREA... WHERE IF IT'S FUN, IT'S ILLEGAL

swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by JustJeff
    There were a few hiccups last year around the timing procedures and official course

Let's define the end point clearly now - even though the end point was called out last year, people still didn't read it or understand that it wasn't the signpost. We might just want to move it to the signpost... or stick with the top of the hill, as cherring everone up it was fun.

We'll then come up with some better process and timing methods as the date approaches... the biggest problem was the random mass of people starting at random times.

It was fun trying to record "guy on blue bike's time", and figure out if he started in group B, B-, C or maybe just riding for fun on his own. We'll either have paper plates and sharpie's at the start - no plate=no time, or maybe someone can get a set of race numbers donated...
    The finish line is the tree at the top of the hill. We can put a flag there.

Where's the results from last year? I"m going for most improved time.

fc
    Last edited by francois; 08-04-2008 at 11:54 AM.
    IPA will save America

swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Loll
    Was there this wknd, noticed that hardtail is about 10 minutes more efficient than a VPP bike.

The 1800' in 4 miles is deceiving IMO, if it was 450' per mile, that is not that steep at all.

There are times when the grade is so steep corner after corner, then after the resting point midway, I can ride big chainring for a while.
    Correct. since there is about a mile of flat and downhill, this really is 1900 feet of climb in 3 miles.

fc
    IPA will save America

MSH
    mtbr member
    ....Where's the results from last year? I"m going for most improved time.

fc
    Here--->Search for the Kennedy King - official thread

MSH

mtbr member
    Will there be a SS category? And FS? And HT? And Tandem? And...

☠☠☠
    May 2008
    Sounds like a fun challenge.

starts from kennedy road entrance, finishes at tree up top?

http://www.mtbguru.com/trip/show_sta...rail-hillclimb

swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Biking Brazilian
    Will there be a SS category? And FS? And HT? And Tandem? And...
    Nope. But we can certainly pencil in the bike type in the results and take not of category standouts.

I won White Nomad class last year btw.

The interesting class is family class with rider/father/mother times combined. The De Jongs won by a narrow margin.

fc
    IPA will save America

jms
    mtbr member

Oh Duck The Futch

Quote Originally Posted by Menso
    September 6 looks good for me. I should be heading out for school a week or two after that.year's.
    Oh duck the futch! We all KNOW how this is going to work out........ Let's just save all the time, energy and fuss and give the friggin "trophy" to Menso Now. Then reserve a sticky spot at the top of the Norcal board for J.L. to explain it all.

190lbs of climber
    Nope. But we can certainly pencil in the bike type in the results and take not of category standouts.

I won White Nomad class last year btw.

The interesting class is family class with rider/father/mother times combined. The De Jongs won by a narrow margin.

fc
    How about couples? My girfriend wants to give it a try this year. For what it's worth, she handed my butt to me on a platter yesterday in the SF half marathon. I can't walk now.
    THE BAY AREA... WHERE IF IT'S FUN, IT'S ILLEGAL

jms
    mtbr member

Only if she rides on the handlebars

Quote Originally Posted by Menso
    How about couples? My girfriend wants to give it a try this year.
    Only if is she rides on the handlebars - that would at least give some other people a chance.
    Jeez, don't turn this into the "Special Olympics": where everybody has a class, and everybody gets a medal.
    First to the top, human powered [or, alien appearing in human form - Menso] is the winner.
    I'll watch.

mtbr member
    May 2005

Never rode Kennedy

How does the Kennedy climb compare to Mission Peak, coming up from Ohlone College? That climb is 2100 ft over 4 miles. Seems like the stats and amount of pain is about the same.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Mission Peak vs Kennedy.

Mission Peak starts out a lot steeper, it has a fun single track section and seems quite a bit longer to make it all the way to the top. That would make a good time trial climb as well. Maybe some other day?
    September 6 at 8am would work for me. You don't want to do this climb too late in the day as it gets very hot on the exposed fire road up.
    I'll try to get under 40 minutes for the first time to win the 45+ category.
    - J.L.
    Also known as Menso's dad.

rho
    Captain Pinchflat
    I'm in for this!

I need others to join me for a 11mile "warm up" to the the trail head however.

VRC Illuminati
    I'm in.

-eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com

Wanted: Syncros 27.2 x 425 seatpost

mtbr member
    Yes, Lets bring this back.

We have all month to train and since its 50,000 foot month right now this should be easy by the time this climb comes around

My Motion Based from last year climb.

http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/i...kValue=3989952

Last years threads of pain

King Kennedy Climb: Sat Sept. 8 - Search of the Kings

Search for the Kennedy King - official thread

organically fed
    Probably a longshot, but if there's any chance of catching a ride from Chico then I'm totally down for it.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by w00t!
    Probably a longshot, but if there's any chance of catching a ride from Chico then I'm totally down for it.
    That is a longshot, but make a weekend out of it. Do the kennedy torture run, then go hit Demo, the next day hit Skeggs and head back home.

If you want to suffer more, substitute Henry Coe for any of the rides after Kennedy
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

Dirt Abuser
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike E
    Either way, it sounds like a good diversion from my weekly "how fast to the top of Minehill?" ride
    What are your times to the top of Mine Hill? I've done 28'25" from the Hacienda entrance... I'm not 25 yo either!

mtbr member

I'm all in!

FC, if I'm in town I'd love to come up and give it a go. We have our local 24 HR race at Kualoa Ranch that weekend, so if I'm off I'll be back home. Maybe I could put the Ritchey Breakaway to the test up Kennedy!

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast