Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Kings of Kennedy 2008 - Uphill time trial Sat, Sept. 6!!

40K views 351 replies 80 participants last post by  form49b 
#1 · (Edited)
The official date is Saturday, Sept. 6

The start times will be:
9 am - 1 hour climbers
9:15 - 35+ minute climbers
9:30 - sub 35 minute climbers

Arrive 20 minutes before your start time and give us your name and start time. We will give you a colored sticker with a number. Stick the sticker on your stem. When reach the top, yell out your number and you're done.

----------

We need to get this going. We need some goals and motivation.

Let's throw out some dates. August 30? Sept. 6?

The object is to go up Kennedy trail as fast as possible (1800 feet in 4 miles I think). This is not a race or an event. We just need to time ourselves up the hill and maybe compare notes.

Any interest? Where's that old thread?

fc

See less See more
#77 ·
rensho said:
It aint that simple folks. The Kings of Kennedy is one that you ride and spectate the Kings finish at the same time. Since we don't have volunteers to purely do timing, we needed to send some folks up in early waves, but that their times also counted. Their times also had to be in complete sync with the last wave. Since the organizer also wanted to ride and see the finish, but he wasn't the fastest rider of the day, someone had to send off the last/fastest heat, with the time sync'd to the very first person that started over 1 hr ago.
This would be really easy if Menso or Clark were the organizer. Menso can then start the 1:15 climbers, and 45 mins later, start the Kings heat. That way, all the riders should be up at the top to cheer on the Kings across the line.
A variant of last years timing scheme would work well. Name tags with numbers as suggested would close the gap of issues we had (arbitrary riders getting timed but didn't start in official heats). This year, no tag, no time, no official heat start. Also, we can take pics of each finisher at the tree, and look at the time stamp.
Get back to your honeymoon Rensho!

I would suggest two start times:
Over 35 minute climbers - 9am
Sub 35 minute climbers - 9:15

That way we have rabbits to chase and we can spectate while riding, etc. Congestion is not a problem anyway.

Too many waves of riders starting at different times is not needed.

fc

#80 ·
pisket said:
One bike, one gear ratio, and no tool to change: 32/17. :)

I made it up in 50 minutes this weekend. That's 3 minutes worse than last year but I've already started riding more. :)

Ali
I've been considering this for a while now, but I'm not sure I'm ready for SS Kennedy.
Do you think 32/20 is doable for regular human people?

Are you coming on Wed?
ZT

#82 ·
cableguy46 said:
Zen...I did it on my SS the first time I rode Kennedy and I believe I did it in 53 min. It had a 32/19 at the time...so 32/20 is definently doable for "human's"
Hmm, not sure I'd list you among 'humans' but at this point the only way to find out is to give it a shot. I'm new to SS and right now just using it for commuting (with a big 36/16) and it's growing on me. I guess I'll hit something easier before heading to Kennedy.

#83 ·
pisket said:
One bike, one gear ratio, and no tool to change: 32/17. :)

I made it up in 50 minutes this weekend. That's 3 minutes worse than last year but I've already started riding more. :)

Ali
I always forget to run the timer when I do Kennedy. The clock starts at the porta-potty at the Kennedy trailhead and stops at the {finish line that nobody can't agree on}, right?

50 minutes. I'll use that as a starting point, then come back on here and brag if I can beat it.

#85 ·
Biking Brazilian said:
the {finish line that nobody can't agree on}, right?
The finish is the tree that's at the center of this map:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=...262,-121.935011&spn=0.00128,0.001969&t=h&z=19

You can zoom out to see that it's about 150 meters before the intersection where the mtbr had their table at the Turkey Ride.

"The wall" climbs from north to south (top to bottom in the map). As soon as the wall ends, it makes a left hand turn and the tree is right at that point on the left. (Left when hiking up; right on the map above.)

Ali

#86 ·
pisket said:
The finish is the tree that's at the center of this map:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=...262,-121.935011&spn=0.00128,0.001969&t=h&z=19

You can zoom out to see that it's about 150 meters before the intersection where the mtbr had their table at the Turkey Ride.

"The wall" climbs from north to south (top to bottom in the map). As soon as the wall ends, it makes a left hand turn and the tree is right at that point on the left. (Left when hiking up; right on the map above.)

Ali
I know the tree, and I believe you. But apparently the 500 posts up above didn't. Just making sure. :thumbsup:

#88 ·
Not Sure

How fast I can climb Kennedy right now, less than 45 minutes probably. On an SS I could probably hit 45 minutes but I bet I would be slower in anything less than a 35/22. I would say, for me, a 32/20 or even 32/21, would be quite a bit faster than a 32/18 or 32/19. That's on a 26 " wheel. I think I would be walking most of the way in a 32/17. I am climbing Montevina today and I will probably start up in a 35/19 but flop my hub half way up the hill to the 22.

#89 ·
Portola Vince said:
How fast I can climb Kennedy right now, less than 45 minutes probably. On an SS I could probably hit 45 minutes but I bet I would be slower in anything less than a 35/22. I would say, for me, a 32/20 or even 32/21, would be quite a bit faster than a 32/18 or 32/19. That's on a 26 " wheel. I think I would be walking most of the way in a 32/17. I am climbing Montevina today and I will probably start up in a 35/19 but flop my hub half way up the hill to the 22.
I am curious now. I will climb Kennedy on an SS soon. But not on the day of the Kings.

BTW, we are having an uphill time trial on Sept. 13 on Old La Honda road in Woodside. We'll have a bonus for folks who use the same bike for Kennedy and OLH time trials.

fc

#91 · (Edited)
Climb Kennedy or play golf?

I also have my monthly Xilinx golf tournament on Sep 6. I can do both if I do the Kennedy climb at 8am. I should be back down at 9am, just in time to see everyone else starting. Maybe someone wants to do the climb up with me and stay at the top to do the timing? I can bring two walky talkies to help with the timing.

- J.L.

#96 ·
Did someone say golf???

Ack! Missing the KOM for golf??? JL, you need to hold you finger on the reset button for 5seconds...

I injured my wrist playing golf 10 yrs ago and bought a GF sugar cuz I was bored, and that was the end of golf for me. My clubs were stolen 3 yrs ago out of the garage and I didn't even notice. Woo-hoo!

Francois, it looks like you might have a big turnout, so maybe the starts should be staggered in 5min increments (< 35min, 36-45min, 45+) with the fast guys going first. I foresee a turkey-day-like traffic jam.

Also, has anyone ever checked to see if walkie-talkies work from top to trailhead? I ride Kennedy at least once a week so if someone wants to give it a try I'm game (early Sat or Sun mornings). Alternatively, we could use cell phones just to log the different start times. Riders could sign in with their mtbr moniker and get a stem sticker at the trailhead. Of course, you're looking at starting the sign-in process ~1 hr (or more) before the first start, if you care about results (1-2min per rider).

Is there a time & place for the bbq afterwards? I have a decent propane camping griddle if it's needed.

mtbtick

#98 ·
Hey Tick! Good to see you again... :) We rode back to town together last Saturday.

Agreed about golf... :p

Besides, I am skipping a bike ride in Fort Ord and an autocross event at Monterey just for KoK! I was in the first one, I am not missing the second one! :)

As far as I know, walkie-talkies don't work from the top to the bottom of Kennedy.

I am beginning to like the idea that the slower riders go first so that everybody has some rabbit to chase. That would make one feel good... :) Assuming that this ride will nowhere be jammed like the Turkey ride.

Ali

#99 ·
jms said:
Only if is she rides on the handlebars - that would at least give some other people a chance.
Jeez, don't turn this into the "Special Olympics": where everybody has a class, and everybody gets a medal.
First to the top, human powered [or, alien appearing in human form - Menso] is the winner.
I'll watch.
Damn, I wanted to win the "44 yr old, black Cannondale Prophet w/ a Lefty, XT crankset, with silver helmet" category.

#101 ·
Just did a Kennedy trial run: 56m45s.

Wow, I've a long way to go...the only thing going for me is that it was my first ride up on the new rig I got Thursday: an Enduro Expert SL with an e150 fork. Not the most able climber, but it paid off in spades down Dogmeat.

Hey, it was under an hour! Let's just hope it's not as HOT on Sept. 6 as it was today.

BTW: Saw a cutie pie walking her bike up near the Shade Tree. I asked her if she was okay, she said she was, although she had on long BLACK tights and one water bottle that was nearly empty. She asked me how much longer and I told her the truth: "You're not even halfway yet. You've a long way to go!"

I then made a bonehead move by asking her if she was alone. Of course she replied, "No," my only reason being if she had anyone that would pick her up when she passed out from the heat.

I didn't see a soul the rest of the way up.

I hope she's ok.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.