Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Menso
    yup, I was at the hospital with a HR of 38-43. About my resting rate, but certainly not where it should be when I'm sitting up and talking.
    I just stumbled on your post. I am an RN on a cardiac unit at Stanford and frequently we have athletes that have heart rates in the 30's, especially at night. The fact that the MDs are concerned while knowing your athletic prowess is mildly concerning. Get your work up. Get your clean bill of health, then go kick some butt on the trails. Is it worth the bike or the race to harm yourself, or potentially worse? Once a king, always a king. Youth often feels invincible, don't fall into that trap. Good luck!
    Mistress of the Dark by day, Angel of Mercy by night.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Sounds Like Fun!

Hey, I just saw the thread, this sounds like fun, is there an entry fee? See Ya Saturday!

(Ali)
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mazspeed
    What do you guys think is harder to climb? Montevina El Sereno hill or Kennedy? I'm going to ride Montevina tomorrow or Sunday. I need the practice.
    I think Montevina is longer but easier. Only a couple of parts on Montevina feels like Kennedy to me. There should be elevation profiles... Here they are:

Kennedy: http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/1039597

Montevina: http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/1615986

A find this metric a good comparison of the feel:

- Go to Elevation on the left
    - Then click Distribution on the right
    - Finally select "Grade vs. Distance and Time" under the graph
    - Click on the graph to get a larger graph

According to those, Montevina spends most time between 7-16% grade. Kennedy 5-25%. Kennedy looks more difficult as it feels more difficult.

Ali

swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by NorCalSS
    Hey, I just saw the thread, this sounds like fun, is there an entry fee? See Ya Saturday!
    For the entry fee, you'll have to talk Major Payne.

It's free of course. And we'll set up a bbq afterwards.

fc

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by francois
    For the entry fee, you'll have to talk Major Payne
    And after you climb up Kennedy, Major Payne might say something like,
    You're still a **** sandwich. You're just not a soggy one. From this moment, you are no longer turds. You have graduated to maggots!
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pisket
    I think Montevina is longer but easier. Only a couple of parts on Montevina feels like Kennedy to me. There should be elevation profiles... Here they are:

Kennedy: http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/1039597

Montevina: http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/1615986

A find this metric a good comparison of the feel:

- Go to Elevation on the left
    - Then click Distribution on the right
    - Finally select "Grade vs. Distance and Time" under the graph
    - Click on the graph to get a larger graph

According to those, Montevina spends most time between 7-16% grade. Kennedy 5-25%. Kennedy looks more difficult as it feels more difficult.

Ali
    Ok cool, thanks for the info.

mtbr member
    im a newbie big guy and im gonna give it a go.

(Ali)
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Raphy
    im a newbie big guy and im gonna give it a go.
    That's the spirit!

Please talk to my buddies who will not do it. I guess they are waiting to be as good as the kings first, which won't happen in a hundred years.

Ali

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Menso
    yup, I was at the hospital with a HR of 38-43. About my resting rate, but certainly not where it should be when I'm sitting up and talking.
    That's about where mine is. It's called bradycardia. I just had an EEG a few weeks ago and they didn't like what they saw.

I've had the low heart rate all my life. It was even lower when I took Nadolol for migraine prevention. Could barely hit 140, even after pounding the Three Sisters. (Insert jokes here )

Good luck and stay healthy.

swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Biking Brazilian
    ... Could barely hit 140, even after pounding the Three Sisters. (Insert jokes here )

Good luck and stay healthy.
    Now that's good!

fc

mtbr member
    how technical is the climb? Is it fully ridable on a 'cross bike?

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Fillet-brazed
    0% technical.....just fire road......ad CX rig is fine and dandy.....just not in the rain.....it'll eat your pads 100% completely away to metal-on-metal action on the way back down.....ugh......
    Visit these 2 places to help advance trail access:
    http://www.sharingthepct.org/
    http://www.facebook.com/SharingThePct

swag ho Administrator
    It is just a fire road with a tiny bit of descending. There's a couple issues for a cross bike:

One, there is a half mile section that is pretty rocky. At high pressure on a small tire, you'll be bouncing all over the place.

Two, there is a stretch in the middle and a wall at the end that is very steep. It is hard to maintain traction there on a small tire.

Finally, normal cross bike gearing is pretty heavy for this climb.

Clark rode the cross bike last year and might have more to add. He did just under 28 minutes.

So get the biggest cross tires you can get and some mighty low gearing and you're good. The descent however is going to blow!!

fc
    Last edited by francois; 09-02-2008 at 02:31 PM.

Let's ride SuperModerator
    Like the others said, the DH on the CX really sucks. I rode 2 weeks ago on my CX with 39x32 gearing and it was fine, but not great. I walked the last wall, all girlie like.

mtbr member
    What's the conventional wisdom for tire pressure on something like this? Lower for better traction or higher for less rolling resistance? If I was just out riding I'd probably go with something like 30psi, but having never been in a non-race before, I'm curious what other folks will be doing.
    Sitting on a cornflake, waiting for the van to come

mtbr member
    i run about 55 psi front and rear riding up kennedy. go harder for faster, you don't have to worry about traction very much if you're moving quickly.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Francis is right on regarding the cross bike. The advantages are weight and efficiency on moderate grades with decent traction. The last two steep climbs (short one, followed by longer one) are challenging due to traction and gearing. Go with the beefiest cross tire you have, and with the lowest/easiest gear you can run. Last year I did it with a compact crank (50/34) and a 13/26 rear cassette, and it was really hard to turn the pedals at the top. This year I swapped the 13/26 for a 13/29. I did a practice run with this gearing a week or so ago, and barely made the two climbs at the top due to dusty/dry conditions. It's hit or miss. Be ready to hop off and run, cross style!

Of course, the descent is a bone-jarring, teeth-rattling experience, and you'll be happy to see the trailhead once again.

Clark

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by francois
    It is just a fire road with a tiny bit of descending. There's a couple issues for a cross bike:

One, there is a half mile section that is pretty rocky. At high pressure on a small tire, you'll be bouncing all over the place.

Two, there is a stretch in the middle and a wall at the end that is very steep. It is hard to maintain traction there on a small tire.

Finally, normal cross bike gearing is pretty heavy for this climb.

Clark rode the cross bike last year and might have more to add. He did just under 28 minutes.

So get the biggest cross tires you can get and some mighty low gearing and you're good. The descent however is going to blow!!

fc

well, its a 29er, so of course I could run some big tires if need be. This rocky part, is that on the descent? Maybe a better question is if you could run anything from a cross tire on up, what would be ideal? Is it just regular hard pack besides these short loose and rocky parts?

This should be fun. The last hill climb "event" I did must have been about 18 years ago. Too bad I'm not quite as light as I was then.

swag ho Administrator
    Ok, my bike is ready. I took it on a test run at Skeggs last night and I think it's good to go. Chain stays on and the 9-speed is ok to pedal.

The rear tire can stay since it grips good at 25 psi.

Weight is zero lbs. It's on my facebook gallery if you really ought to know.

I need some bar ends. I got the super-chunky Cane Creek ones but lighter ones would be nice.

I'm going to shave my head, ride barefoot with a speedo to save weight.

fc
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by francois; 09-03-2008 at 09:43 AM.

VRC Illuminati

Did you not believe me?

You're a frickin' head case.
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com

Wanted: Syncros 27.2 x 425 seatpost, 26.8 x 400 IRD seatpost

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy
    Did you not believe me?

You're a frickin' head case.

Hey, I asked you about a road bike. Besides, your skinny tire credibility is highly questionable.

I see Francois is racing in the plastic, sub-8 kilo category. I'll be in the no-carbon-allowed, sub-10 kilo category.

mtbr member

Where is that picture from?

Looks cool even for a road bike pic.

swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbikermom
    Looks cool even for a road bike pic.
    Vuelta de Espana a couple years ago. They always make the roadies go up some steep dirt road.

The Vuelta is going on right now btw. Levi won today!!
    http://reviews.roadbikereview.com/bl...ory/la-vuelta/

fc

VRC Illuminati
    Hey, I asked you about a road bike. Besides, your skinny tire credibility is highly questionable.
    True, it is rather suspect.

I see Francois is racing in the plastic, sub-8 kilo category. I'll be in the no-carbon-allowed, sub-10 kilo category.
    Old?

Fingers are crossed my WTB is done by Sat.
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com

Wanted: Syncros 27.2 x 425 seatpost, 26.8 x 400 IRD seatpost

swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike E
    What's the conventional wisdom for tire pressure on something like this? Lower for better traction or higher for less rolling resistance? If I was just out riding I'd probably go with something like 30psi, but having never been in a non-race before, I'm curious what other folks will be doing.
    30 psi is good.

For rolling resistance, very high pressures only work if the surface is very smooth. If the surface has is rough and has a lot of embedded rocks, a hard tire will get bounced back causing increased rolling resistance. A tire needs to supple and compliant and conform to the rocks to have good rolling resistance on rough surfaces.

I used to ride with 60 psi to go fast. Now I ride.... 22 psi most of the time (tubeless). More control and more traction too.

As far as traction is concerned, yes that's an issue on this climb too. Less is more.

fc

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast