Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2005
    sounds like cannonball run

Up and ridin' again.

Man, I'm so there...

This is great. I will be there. Probaly just ride from the Almaden side to warm up. Of couse this is pending the normal 'as long as I don't get overruled' crap.
    Doug
    "I do all my own stunts."

Up and ridin' again.

Hey Mik E

Quote Originally Posted by Mike E
    So, when you say "get up" do you mean to interection with Priest Rock/Dogmeat, or where it ends at Woods/Limekiln? Either way, it sounds like a good diversion from my weekly "how fast to the top of Minehill?" ride
    So, Mike, we gotta ride Almaden here soon. Got bored with the loop so I've been doing similar to you- riding from the staging grounds to Bull Run, the blast all the way down to the turn off and pull a u-turn and climb back up, then back down to the staging grounds and all over again. I'm hitting the Velodrome this Saturday and that should waste me for climbing Sunday, but maybe next weekend lets hook up and ride.
    doug
    velodromed@yahoo.com
    "I do all my own stunts."

Let's ride SuperModerator
    My neighbor Jeff got word to Clark Foy. Baring any calendar issues with Sept. 6th, looks like they'll be there. Game on? Clark mentioned someone else on the team going for the Gold as well. Coming from Clark, uh, that's kinda big statement.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Hey, just so that I don't act like the French swimming relay team (saying that they were going to "smash the Americans"), and inspire Menso into doing a Phelpsian effort up Kennedy, allow me to clarify. My email response to Thomas was intended to publicly commit my buddy into joining in on the fun -- so I suggested that he was going for the Gold. (Right, Ramon?! You are going to do it, correct?!)

At any rate, I hope to be there. Looking forward to all of us breaking our PRs.

Clark

190lbs of climber
    I'll be lucky if I break my time from last year. I've been a week on/week off for six weeks thanks to some nasty persistent tendinitis. But now I've got new shoes and a new cleat position (thanks Jason!), so hopefully it will be clear sailing for the next two weeks of training and beyond.
    see you all there!
    THE BAY AREA... WHERE IF IT'S FUN, IT'S ILLEGAL

rj2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Menso
    I'll be lucky if I break my time from last year. I've been a week on/week off for six weeks thanks to some nasty persistent tendinitis. But now I've got new shoes and a new cleat position (thanks Jason!), so hopefully it will be clear sailing for the next two weeks of training and beyond.
    see you all there!
    Already asking for strokes.
    We take care of your technology needs so you can focus on what's important.

190lbs of climber
    Quote Originally Posted by rj2
    heck no!
    the throwdown: I'm going for the sub-27 this year.
    THE BAY AREA... WHERE IF IT'S FUN, IT'S ILLEGAL

VRC Illuminati
    I haven't been on Kennedy in months. My test run this weekend was 5 mins slower than last year. No bueno.
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

swag ho Administrator
    Ok, I'll give you three strokes .

fc

swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy
    I haven't been on Kennedy in months. My test run this weekend was 5 mins slower than last year. No bueno.
    I'm doing my test run this evening. 6pm. I have a pain meter and everything.

I was going to do a fun waterdog ride but I have the wrong shoes for my pedals. Kennedy is my penance.

fc

rj2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Menso
    heck no!
    the throwdown: I'm going for the sub-27 this year.
    Sorry Clark. I've awoken the giant.

rj2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by francois
    I'm doing my test run this evening. 6pm. I have a pain meter and everything.
    I rode up to the trees this morning and spoke with a couple of rangers on the return. One of them, didn't get his name, wants some feedback on your PowerTap. He rides, knows you by name, and is younger than us.

My test run is Saturday AM.

Natural body armor
    I rode up to the trees this morning and spoke with a couple of rangers on the return. One of them, didn't get his name, wants some feedback on your PowerTap. He rides, knows you by name, and is younger than us.

My test run is Saturday AM.
    Don't be a stranger, come and suffer with us on Wed.
    ZT
    "There is no A-line"
    Quadzilla - On-One USA

rj2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zen_Turtle
    Don't be a stranger, come and suffer with us on Wed.
    ZT
    Can't make it, wife's Bday.

swag ho Administrator
    Ok, I did my test run today and I'm pretty happy with it. I got a new PR of 36:45 minutes.

I warmed up by going up the hill about a mile and half. I went hard in the beginning and got some rest on the first downhill. I used a Powertap and a heart rate monitor. The powertap said I was going about 250 watts and the HRM reminded to keep it over 170 bpm. I felt good the whole way through and I had a good kick at the end. I was able to clear the wall with the 9-speed bebe!

The bike is the Look hardtail set up with a rigid fork and 9 speed. It weighs 20 lbs. I weigh about 146 lbs right now.

Stats:
    Distance: 4.07 miles
    Time: 36:45
    Ave Power: 233 watts
    Ave Speed: 6.63 mph
    Ave heart rate: 168 (max is 190)

The bike can actually lose 3 lbs on race day since I won't use the powertap wheels and big tires. Maybe I'll lose a couple lbs. too.

fc
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by francois; 08-25-2008 at 11:05 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Congratulations

Francis. Very impressive. Hopefully you will have the same legs on the sixth.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Max

You never came close your max HR. On my time trials this year I have hit my max on all them. I didn't max long but at the top for a final kick I hit 192 on Montevina near the gate and 192 on at the top of Alpine before it starts downhill in the S turns. I crushed my PR on both of those climbs. Do you think you will hit 190 on the sixth?
    Thanks for all that info by the way. I have a similar heart range as you so this is good info since I do wear an HR monitor often. Sounds like keeping the HR at about 175 gave you the best results for climbing.

swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Portola Vince
    You never came close your max HR. On my time trials this year I have hit my max on all them. I didn't max long but at the top for a final kick I hit 192 on Montevina near the gate and 192 on at the top of Alpine before it starts downhill in the S turns. I crushed my PR on both of those climbs. Do you think you will hit 190 on the sixth?
    Thanks for all that info by the way. I have a similar heart range as you so this is good info since I do wear an HR monitor often. Sounds like keeping the HR at about 175 gave you the best results for climbing.
    Thanks man. My old record is 36:59 about 10 years ago. It's good to break new ground as I get old.

I could get my heart rate to 197 back then. These days, I don't reall know what my max is. I just haven't used a HRM in a long time.

It's good to have data and share data. Who's got an altitude graph of that thing?

fc

VRC Illuminati
    I have an 18 year old bike that weighs 26lbs. :|
    -eric-

VRC Illuminati
    Ok, I did my test run today and I'm pretty happy with it. I got a new PR of 36:45 minutes.

I warmed up by going up the hill about a mile and half. I went hard in the beginning and got some rest on the first downhill. I used a Powertap and a heart rate monitor. The powertap said I was going about 250 watts and the HRM reminded to keep it over 170 bpm. I felt good the whole way through and I had a good kick at the end. I was able to clear the wall with the 9-speed bebe!

The bike is the Look hardtail set up with a rigid fork and 9 speed. It weighs 20 lbs. I weigh about 146 lbs right now.

Stats:
    Distance: 4.07 miles
    Time: 36:45
    Ave Power: 233 watts
    Ave Speed: 6.63 mph
    Ave heart rate: 168 (max is 190)

The bike can actually lose 3 lbs on race day since I won't use the powertap wheels and big tires. Maybe I'll lose a couple lbs. too.

fc
    You're always been pretty durn fit. Great to see gains and old PR's fall.
    -eric-

Medium?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy
    I have an 18 year old bike that weighs 26lbs. :|
    That's what I'm riding too; thumbies baby! I think mine might be around 24 or 24.5. I've never timed myself going up there. I'd like to break an hour with no training, or even riding. I'm going with the off-the-bike-for-a-couple-weeks strategy.

don't try this at home
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddy
    I'm going with the off-the-bike-for-a-couple-weeks strategy.
    that was my sswc08 strategy and I wouldn't recommend it.
    will you rep me?

(Ali)
    Sep 2006
    It's good to have data and share data. Who's got an altitude graph of that thing?
    That's a great time Francis. Would you please ride another bike on the 6th... I think the white bike added some slowness last year.

The altitude graphs are at Motionbased; even this thread has some links. Here is one:

http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/1039597

I climbed Kennedy again last Wednesday with friends; just to strategize: I will try to stay fresh for the downhills and go fast there. Especially the "downhill" right about 1/4 mile after the tree is a long one. I will go fast there.

The trouble is, I can't find any downhill there when I look at the altitude graphs. LOL! It is funny how one's reference changes. I swear I always thought that there was a long downhill section there.

Another strategy: I will not walk all of the wall. It is ridable again right around the middle of it. I will finish with better dignity this year; instead of riding the last 15 feet of the wall, I will ride the last half of it.

Seriously though, here is my strategy:

- First downhill: go fast, limited by the SS gearing
    - First climb: attack, but don't die; there is more
    - Downhill: go fast, duh!
    - Warmup climb: do not go too fast, beware what comes next
    - 1-mile killer: this is the worst; survive!
    - The tree: go slow to rest for the next one
    - 1/4 mile climb: survive!
    - Downhill: go as fast as possible (note: this is NOT downhill)
    - Final climb to fake top: Respect! I was spent on this one last year
    - Mini wall: walk
    - Downhill: don't fall
    - The wall: walk first half, ride second half

Ali

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pisket

Seriously though, here is my strategy:

- First downhill: go fast, limited by the SS gearing
    - First climb: attack, but don't die; there is more
    - Downhill: go fast, duh!
    - Warmup climb: do not go too fast, beware what comes next
    - 1-mile killer: this is the worst; survive!
    - The tree: go slow to rest for the next one
    - 1/4 mile climb: survive!
    - Downhill: go as fast as possible (note: this is NOT downhill)
    - Final climb to fake top: Respect! I was spent on this one last year
    - Mini wall: walk
    - Downhill: don't fall
    - The wall: walk first half, ride second half

Ali
    Man, that's a near-perfect strategy for tackling Kennedy on an SS. I can probably hack out the walks by running a 33x22.

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast