Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Just did a Kennedy trial run: 56m45s.

Wow, I've a long way to go...the only thing going for me is that it was my first ride up on the new rig I got Thursday: an Enduro Expert SL with an e150 fork. Not the most able climber, but it paid off in spades down Dogmeat.

Hey, it was under an hour! Let's just hope it's not as HOT on Sept. 6 as it was today.

BTW: Saw a cutie pie walking her bike up near the Shade Tree. I asked her if she was okay, she said she was, although she had on long BLACK tights and one water bottle that was nearly empty. She asked me how much longer and I told her the truth: "You're not even halfway yet. You've a long way to go!"

I then made a bonehead move by asking her if she was alone. Of course she replied, "No," my only reason being if she had anyone that would pick her up when she passed out from the heat.

I didn't see a soul the rest of the way up.

I hope she's ok.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Biking Brazilian
    Just did a Kennedy trial run: 56m45s.

Wow, I've a long way to go...the only thing going for me is that it was my first ride up on the new rig I got Thursday: an Enduro Expert SL with an e150 fork. Not the most able climber, but it paid off in spades down Dogmeat.

Hey, it was under an hour! Let's just hope it's not as HOT on Sept. 6 as it was today.

BTW: Saw a cutie pie walking her bike up near the Shade Tree. I asked her if she was okay, she said she was, although she had on long BLACK tights and one water bottle that was nearly empty. She asked me how much longer and I told her the truth: "You're not even halfway yet. You've a long way to go!"

I then made a bonehead move by asking her if she was alone. Of course she replied, "No," my only reason being if she had anyone that would pick her up when she passed out from the heat.
    My very first time there this past week and I did 56:36, so you're not the only one who's dreams of a sub-40 climb got dashed. I went up on a 32# Heckler with marz AMSL1 fork and 2.3" timberwolf tires, so I know how it is. My old Rockhopper hardtail has been my commute bike the past 3 years, but I may put it back on the dirt on the 6th.

3D guy
    I also tried it today on my SS. Big mistake. Way hot, 32-18 gearing and getting over a week long cold. Made it to the big tree, decided I had enough (really disappointed, can't remember the last time I bailed on a ride I decide to try)

All that said, unless I go to 32-20 or maybe even smaller gearing there is no way I have the strength to push those SS cranks for an hour or so up Kennedy. I take my hat off to those who do/can, really tough task.

Will do something more sane next week and bring my Blur. I am not fast but I know the Blur can get me to the top without issue.
    Geoff Stahl
    San Jose

BLTc, Chameleon Single Speed, Speedvagen Road

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gstahl
    I also tried it today on my SS.
    I don't have an issue getting up on my SS. But that includes stopping at the clearing to the left of the first wall and a break at the shady tree.

When my 19T comes in next week, I will give it a shot (33x19). But, like I said, lots of breaks will be taken.

My new 31# Enduro is still a grunt, though, considering I had been cranking the more XC-friendly 26# Heckler for over three years up and down Kennedy like a (self-acclaimed) mountain goat.

Hmmm, I am eyeing the 2009 Epic...

mtbr member
    better yet...
    I did a demo from Summitt cycles last year. Did Kennedy once with a truth pretty hard, but not race pace... then did it again with an Epiphany... at a bit slower pace. Guys at the shop said no one had ever done a demo dual kennedy loop. I remember what I ended up calling the 3 *****es at the top. Those sick steep last three pitch climbs at the top. But it was a fun downhill. I think my times were about 1 hour 10 min or so.
    here is the data in case anyone cares.
    http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/2537769#
    Ride to Live... Live to Ride

mtbr member
    on second check the times were about an hour... actually the second loop was faster than the first. I ended up getting the epiphany. So Mensho is the stud. cool. Only 19 years old, no wonder. Good job dude. Hope you kick butt this year!! But for heavens sake what is up with that photo? I have always kinda wondered about that.

190lbs of climber
    Quote Originally Posted by ventana1
    on second check the times were about an hour... actually the second loop was faster than the first. I ended up getting the epiphany. So Mensho is the stud. cool. Only 19 years old, no wonder. Good job dude. Hope you kick butt this year!! But for heavens sake what is up with that photo? I have always kinda wondered about that.
    It's my Dr. Evil face. One Million Dollars!
    THE BAY AREA... WHERE IF IT'S FUN, IT'S ILLEGAL

(Ali)
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Biking Brazilian
    She asked me how much longer and I told her the truth: "You're not even halfway yet. You've a long way to go!"
    I think the shaded tree is more than half way. I always feel good there that most is gone...

Ali

mtbr member
    hahaha, that made me laugh... good one... haha. I love it. look forward to maybe meeting you some day. Happy trails.... go get em at Kennedys!!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ventana1
    better yet...
    I did a demo from Summitt cycles last year. Did Kennedy once with a truth pretty hard, but not race pace... then did it again with an Epiphany... at a bit slower pace. Guys at the shop said no one had ever done a demo dual kennedy loop. I remember what I ended up calling the 3 *****es at the top. Those sick steep last three pitch climbs at the top. But it was a fun downhill. I think my times were about 1 hour 10 min or so.
    here is the data in case anyone cares.
    http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/2537769#
    max speed 81.2 mph!

(Ali)
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by pacman
    max speed 81.2 mph!
    Especially when used with an exclamation mark, "mph!" stands for "hemp units." The apparent confused order of the letters is intentional.

To get the "mph" (miles per hour) equivalent, if possible, simply divide by 10: 8.12 mph.

Ali

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pisket
    Especially when used with an exclamation mark, "mph!" stands for "hemp units." The apparent confused order of the letters is intentional.

To get the "mph" (miles per hour) equivalent, if possible, simply divide by 10: 8.12 mph.

Ali

Total Time (h:m:s)6:02:186:13 pace
    Moving Time (h:m:s)4:42:454:51 pace
    Distance (mi )58.13
    Moving Speed (mph)12.3 avg.81.2 max.
    Elevation Gain (ft)+11,642 / -11,928
    Temperature (F)61.1F avg.62.6F high
    Wind Speed ( mph)NW 12.1 avg.NW 13.8 max.
    GPS Signal QualityFairMB Gravity Web Service
    Similar ActivitiesTrailNetwork
    DownloadGPS Device
    ExportGPX HST CRS

Let's ride SuperModerator
    Yeah, i hate when I forget to turn off my GPS and drive off in the car with it on too. I record all that useless driving info, showing how I average 50mph for the next 35miles...

Quote Originally Posted by pacman
    Total Time (h:m:s)6:02:186:13 pace
    Moving Time (h:m:s)4:42:454:51 pace
    Distance (mi )58.13
    Moving Speed (mph)12.3 avg.81.2 max.
    Elevation Gain (ft)+11,642 / -11,928
    Temperature (F)61.1F avg.62.6F high
    Wind Speed ( mph)NW 12.1 avg.NW 13.8 max.
    GPS Signal QualityFairMB Gravity Web Service
    Similar ActivitiesTrailNetwork
    DownloadGPS Device
    ExportGPX HST CRS

VRC Illuminati
    So whats the official date on this shindig?
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy
    So whats the official date on this shindig?
    The official date is Saturday, Sept. 6

The start times will be:
    9 am - 1 hour climbers
    9:15 - 35+ minute climbers
    9:30 - sub 35 minute climbers

Arrive 20 minutes before your start time and give us your name and start time. We will give you a colored sticker with a number. Stick the sticker on your stem. When reach the top, yell out your number and you're done.

fc

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Vo2

If we can catch our breath enough to yell at the tree then we probably won't be getting a PR. On my best climbs up that hill I don't think I have been able to look up at the tree let alone yell out a number.

swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Portola Vince
    If we can catch our breath enough to yell at the tree then we probably won't be getting a PR. On my best climbs up that hill I don't think I have been able to look up at the tree let alone yell out a number.
    you got to save a little bit bro so you can talk. Or you can point to the sticker and we'll read it for you.

fc

mtbr member
    Ill go. I may need to start at 8:00am for 2 hour climbers

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mazspeed
    Ill go. I may need to start at 8:00am for 2 hour climbers
    I'll start with you. Is there a snack booth somewhere at the middle?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by justme
    Maybe someone could put a keg up halfway for us. A quick energy boost.

Slowest Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by justme
    Hey, me too! Let's do the 8AM Jokers of Kennedy & Shade Tree Party Ride.
    It's not slow, it's doing more MTB time.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Make it an All Mtn Coronation!

An easy way to weed out the skinny little roadies w/ their carbon wheels and cross bikes:

Have stage #2 start at the top of Dogmeat and roll down through Limekiln and end @ Alma Bridge road. Most people are going to be heading that way anyway, right?

Full bore pirate DH after the hillclimb.

Natural body armor
    Quote Originally Posted by ARider
    An easy way to weed out the skinny little roadies w/ their carbon wheels and cross bikes:

Have stage #2 start at the top of Dogmeat and roll down through Limekiln and end @ Alma Bridge road. Most people are going to be heading that way anyway, right?

Now you can call it "Kennedy Classic".

Would the time spent getting a speeding ticket written by the rangers count as a total time or would it be used as an added bonus??
    "There is no A-line"
    Quadzilla

swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by ARider

Oh the carnage.

The following week is a road uphill time trial up Old La Honda Road in Woodside. Special prize for using the same bike as in Kennedy.

fc
    Last edited by francois; 08-21-2008 at 06:15 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

here is how it works...

Quote Originally Posted by Zen_Turtle
    Now you can call it "Kennedy Classic".

Would the time spent getting a speeding ticket written by the rangers count as a total time or would it be used as an added bonus??
    You get an instant 5 minute deduction for being ticketed, and for each mph over 30mph that you are cited for you get one minute deducted from your time.

Since MTBR is "sponsoring" the event just tell them your name is Francois. He won't mind.

If you are able to drop the ranger and remain ticket free that is good for an additional 10 minutes off your time.

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast