Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast
    swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Menso
    The finish is where it levels out before the intersection. If you keep on riding, it takes 30 seconds to a minute to get to the intersection.
    Here is the approach as you climb: after 3.5ish miles you reach the "false summit" and the short downhill that follows. The road turns right for a small climb. Then there are the two "walls". The first is not so bad, most people make it. It then very briefly (30 yards or less) flattens a little before the second wall. Many walk this due to the combination of grade and loose dirt. The finish is at a (relatively) large tree on the left about 20 yards after the steepest part of the second "wall".
    Finish line right here. Man, I did have water. What was my problem then?

fc
    Attached Images Attached Images
    IPA will save America

Curse you Coe!
    Apr 2005
    It's the rear suspension robbing much of your power! 165mm and 32lbs of inefficiency stealing your forward drive.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by francois
    Yeah, keep hiding in bavaria mr. third place finisher. You know you want to fly out back here and defend your podium position.

That's why I sucked last year. I had no agua!

fc
    Bavaria??? What did you have in your coffee this morning? Did I leave the impression that I like my Bratwurst boiled?

But your right, I would definitely fly out there, anybody starting a fundraiser?

Hm, I can do a sympathy ride over here at the same time and then post my time. If I ride the highest mountain in a 50km perimeter I think 30 loops should give me the same amount of elevation like Kennedy

bikerbert
    Are the TT's going to on Saturday's this year? That would be more betterest for my schedule. I'm out on the 3oth doing the bike leg of a relay tri, bummer.

swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by rj2
    I've challenged Clark Foy from SJBC to beat Menso. Clark was only 24 seconds behind Menso last year. Let's hear it for the 40+ crowd.

BTW: Someone needs to contact the BuyCell guys and Don Myrah.
    Is he coming? Cyclocross bike again??

I saw him riding with the pros at Los Gatos. He had ummm... $5500 carbon wheels. That guy has about .001% body fat.

I'll contact TimmyC and team Buycell.

fc
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Id love to do it if I was in better shape. Kennedy is a brutal climb.

swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by mazspeed
    Id love to do it if I was in better shape. Kennedy is a brutal climb.
    You have one month.

This is not about winning. It's about setting goals. And meeting people and drinking beer.

fc
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    You have one month.

This is not about winning. It's about setting goals. And meeting people and drinking beer.

fc
    Well now that you said that magic word (beer)
    I am riding every other day now trying to get into shape, maybe I can make it in a month.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

kennedy

Should be able to do either weekend...good thing I was planning on doing a bit of practice tomorrow morning...

Should be hitting it 2-3x week for the next few weeks...

-j

Spin-stabilized

Did someone say BBQ?

I'm in! Mere mortal pace of course. Never ridden that particular climb before, I think. What time is this thing starting again?
    Hey man, wanna go for a klunk?

swag ho Administrator
    The tentative date is:

[SIZE=6]September 6, 9am.[/SIZE]

We still need a ride organizer and timekeeper.

fc
    IPA will save America

Natural body armor
    As per the numbers and timing, how hard can it be?
    Does anybody have laser printer?

Menso, here's your number...
    "There is no A-line"
    Quadzilla - On-One USA

swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Zen_Turtle
    As per the numbers and timing, how hard can it be?
    Does anybody have laser printer?

Menso, here's your number...
    I don't think we can have number plates and logos. This is not a race or event , remember.

Everybody will take off at once (maybe two groups). When you hit the end line, Just say your name and your time will be recorded.

fc
    IPA will save America

I'm disrespectful to dirt
    I can help coordinate the timing, but there will need to be a few more people to make it run smoothly.

$20 can get you a set of 100 generic racing numbers... it would make things easier... or perhaps 15 minutes and a laser printer would suffice - or if everyone's OK with the "shout out your name and time" method, then that would work too (there was some grumbling last year with this)

But I hear what you're saying Francois - I would hate that in today's litigous society, if god forbid someone gets hurt, that "the organizers" of this might be held accountable. Where is the line crossed (in a court of law) from a bunch of friends showing up with a stopwatch, vs. an "organized race".

190lbs of climber
    Quote Originally Posted by JustJeff
    I can help coordinate the timing, but there will need to be a few more people to make it run smoothly.

$20 can get you a set of 100 generic of racing numbers... it would make things easier... or perhaps 15 minutes and a laser printer would suffice - or if everyone's OK with the "shout out your name and time" method, then that would work too (there was some grumbling last year with this)

But I hear what you're saying Francois - I would hate that in today's litigous society, if god forbid someone gets hurt, that "the organizers" of this might be held accountable. Where is the line crossed (in a court of law) from a bunch of friends showing up with a stopwatch, vs. an "organized race".
    I don't think we're worried about suing each other. Midpen might show up and block the trail.
    THE BAY AREA... WHERE IF IT'S FUN, IT'S ILLEGAL

I'm disrespectful to dirt
    I don't think we're worried about suing each other. Midpen might show up and block the trail.
    Yeah - that too is a consideration for the same reason... But they are definitely aware and put up with the Turkey Day Ride, and let's hope this doesn't grow to even a quarter of the size of that!

mtbr member
    I can help out with the timing.

Natural body armor
    If numbers are not ok, then another idea is to give at the start a little witness with the start time for that wave, like a post-it or something that says "9.30 Start" so that when you get to the top you give that back along with your name. If there are only few waves then even color coded marbles or tags will do the job - just to know what time you started.

I rode a few times with a number attached to my helmet (that was after Downieville) but that didn't mean I was racing....
    Would it be hard to get authorization from MidPen for an 'Event'? I'm just asking...
    "There is no A-line"
    Quadzilla - On-One USA

3D guy
    Could be as simple a pad of paper at the start write names, give number (tell folks number or a sticky) and a start time (X number of groups). Then at the end just call out you number (so the folks at the end have a simple job of just recording time and numbers then the start list can be used to find the times.

I want to give this one a go (first time riding with a group up Kennedy) but can help as needed.
    Geoff Stahl
    San Jose

BLTc, Chameleon Single Speed, Speedvagen Road

rj2
    mtbr member
    Finish line right here. Man, I did have water. What was my problem then?
    fc
    No white shoes.
    We take care of your technology needs so you can focus on what's important.

swag ho Administrator
    X-actly. So no race kapeeech?

fc
    IPA will save America

bike dork extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by gstahl
    Could be as simple a pad of paper at the start write names, give number (tell folks number or a sticky) and a start time (X number of groups). Then at the end just call out you number (so the folks at the end have a simple job of just recording time and numbers then the start list can be used to find the times.

I want to give this one a go (first time riding with a group up Kennedy) but can help as needed.
    This is the way the road low-key hill climb series does it. You get a number on a little sticker, slap it on your stem, and at the top make sure to yell it out. Seems to work pretty well for that series.

I should be there this year, although helping out with the timing/cheering section almost sounds more fun than having Menso whoop me by 10 minutes.

swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by sirkrameroy
    This is the way the road low-key hill climb series does it. You get a number on a little sticker, slap it on your stem, and at the top make sure to yell it out. Seems to work pretty well for that series.

I should be there this year, although helping out with the timing/cheering section almost sounds more fun than having Menso whoop me by 10 minutes.
    This is a darn good idea! Let's do it.

I climbed Montebello today. I'm inspired!

fc
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    I currently only have a 7 inch bike and a 8 inch bike...nothing but downhill rigs in my stable currently...oh well...guess I'm in with my 7 inch bike. If I beat anyone on a hardtail then that will really boost my ego
    1x9's rule

190lbs of climber
    Here's how we did it last year:
    Someone volunteers to bike up ahead with a pad, pencil, and stopwatch.

At the bottom, that person and myself sync watches. I set everyone off in 5 minute or whatever intervals, self seeded, until the very last wave, which I go up with. As you cross the line, you yell (grunt?) your name and the volunteer who is standing there records your finish time on the pad, which already has everyone's names on it. After everyone finishes, we determine who was in which of the three or four waves and subtract 0, 5, 10, or 15 minutes to get the real times.

of course, everyone can just just time themselves.
    THE BAY AREA... WHERE IF IT'S FUN, IT'S ILLEGAL

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast