Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Even though every part of my being says don't, I feel some magnetic energy that brings me back. I am in for this and don't care what date. I am only trying to break my PR of 49 minutes. Good motivator to train hard this month. No excuses not to ride anymore. See you guys all out there.
    They never made the "Slowster"

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by pmarshall
    Even though every part of my being says don't, I feel some magnetic energy....
    Funny. I hate climbing, am not that fast a climber, and know I'll get embarassed.... yet I feel the urge to give it a go. Here comes the pain!

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Earn your Rollercoaster bragging rights too.

After the hill climb race and a well deserved rest at the top of the Kennedy wall, you can all earn bragging rights by clearing the two walls on Rollercoaster as well before heading back down (Dogmeat, Overgrown and Jones trail, of course) for the lunch time picnic in the park.
    - J.L.
    Also known as Menso's dad.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bail_Monkey
    What are your times to the top of Mine Hill? I've done 28'25" from the Hacienda entrance... I'm not 25 yo either!
    I did 30'01" from Hacienda last week. I started riding again this past April, after not riding for about 8 years, and have been doing this pretty much every Tuesday night since then. Tonight, however, I'm heading up from Mockingbird. Figure I need to work more on the steep stuff. And I'm not 25 either
    Sitting on a cornflake, waiting for the van to come

Paper or plastic?
    I agree that Mission Peak is harder and steeper. Anyway, what we did once a few years back on a much shorter climb was to do a staggered start based on everybody expected time. When done well, everybody ends at the top at around the same time. This is way more fun.

Say that BL is good for 65 mns and Menso for 35 mns, Menso would start last 30 mns behind BL.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

Natural body armor
    All I remember from last year is a nice BBQ in the park at the end (there's going to be pulled pork, right Jeff???)

Haven't climbed Kennedy in a while, let's see if the 4 pounds lighter bike makes any difference at all... we'd better go back to a regular HCW schedule.

See you there.

ZT
    "There is no A-line"
    Quadzilla - On-One USA

swag ho Administrator
    gOk, we need some volunteers. If I was in charge, nothing would happen. Rensho is getting married right now so he's busy.

Organizer
    Timing
    Post barbecue

And this is not a race or an event. We're just comparing times up a hill.

fc
    IPA will save America

Paper or plastic?
    If it's 9/6, I for sure can't do it (flying out).

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Is it safe to say Mission Peak via Ohlone College is a little longer and overall steeper grade, but Kennedy is tougher because it has steeper "walls"?

Also, how bad is lack of parking at Kennedy? Is it just easier to park somewhere downtown and ride to the trailhead? My laziness has some boundaries.

☠☠☠
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffh
    Yes, Lets bring this back.

We have all month to train and since its 50,000 foot month right now this should be easy by the time this climb comes around

My Motion Based from last year climb.

http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/i...kValue=3989952

Last years threads of pain

King Kennedy Climb: Sat Sept. 8 - Search of the Kings

Search for the Kennedy King - official thread
    Thanks, I want to know the route so I can practice!!

Unless newcomers aren't welcome to getting spanked....

Paper or plastic?
    I'm a crappy climber, but IMHO Mission Peak is harder as it's a steeper average grade. The only thing that's hard about Kennedy is the last wall. We also usually don't see radars at MP. OTOH, you can put together a more enjoyable loop at Kennedy whereas MP is pretty much up and back down.

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by bstyle74
    Is it safe to say Mission Peak via Ohlone College is a little longer and overall steeper grade, but Kennedy is tougher because it has steeper "walls"?

Also, how bad is lack of parking at Kennedy? Is it just easier to park somewhere downtown and ride to the trailhead? My laziness has some boundaries.

Easier to park at the bottom of Kennedy Rd. at Los Gatos Blvd. Use the ride to the trailhead as a warm up.
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

swag ho Administrator
    How does the Kennedy climb compare to Mission Peak, coming up from Ohlone College? That climb is 2100 ft over 4 miles. Seems like the stats and amount of pain is about the same.

I rode Mission peak for two years then I moved and did Kennedy for a few years as well.

They are almost the same. The college side of Mission Peak and Kennedy feel like the same time and effort to get to the top. Mission Peak allows you to see your elevation gain a bit more dramatically since you can see the valley on the initial and last rise.

fc
    IPA will save America

velocipede technician
    looking for a good excuse to ride the "new" bike

what day is this gonna go down?
    looking for 20-21" P team

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by francois

And this is not a race or an event. We're just comparing times up a hill.

fc
    This is an important distinction. When I track my R32 at Laguna, it's "not a race or event" either. Why? Insurance companies will laugh at you if you try to file a claim if you say you were racing.

I'm sure the same might apply with medical insurance. "I was racing up Kennedy..."

It's also good for my ego since I'd be embarrassed to see my time if we were actually racing. On a related note, can times be kept confidential?!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Is it already one year ago ...

... since the last time? Time flies.

Unfortunately I won't be there to fight for a better time this year. This means, Francis you have to bring your own water this time

Wish you guys a lot of fun

erisch

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JustJeff
    We'll then come up with some better process and timing methods as the date approaches... the biggest problem was the random mass of people starting at random times.
    The timing method the Toro Park DH races use might work well. They write down your start time on your number plate and let people go at 1 minute intervals. Your finishing time is calculated from the time written on your number plate after you cross the line.

mtbr member
    May 2006

The three walls are actually not that tough at all. If as a last resort, put it on your granny and you can easily cruise up the top. The hard part is little before the flat resting tree groove. That part is steep for a long duration. Is where I drop from middle ring to small.

swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Loll
    The three walls are actually not that tough at all. If as a last resort, put it on your granny and you can easily cruise up the top. The hard part is little before the flat resting tree groove. That part is steep for a long duration. Is where I drop from middle ring to small.
    I don't think you're talking about the three walls. The three walls are after the summit and the Priest Rock intersection.

They're hard. The last wall on the summit climb is hard too. Let's not dance around that and make the people who walk it feel bad.

Traction is bad too and that adds to the challenge.

fc
    IPA will save America

swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by erisch
    ... since the last time? Time flies.

Unfortunately I won't be there to fight for a better time this year. This means, Francis you have to bring your own water this time

Wish you guys a lot of fun

erisch
    Yeah, keep hiding in bavaria mr. third place finisher. You know you want to fly out back here and defend your podium position.

That's why I sucked last year. I had no agua!

fc
    IPA will save America

rj2
    mtbr member
    I've challenged Clark Foy from SJBC to beat Menso. Clark was only 24 seconds behind Menso last year. Let's hear it for the 40+ crowd.

BTW: Someone needs to contact the BuyCell guys and Don Myrah.
    We take care of your technology needs so you can focus on what's important.

mtbr member
    Ok, so I went out and did the climb tonight and am a bit confused about where the end is. Based on the Google earth image on King Kennedy Climb: Sat Sept. 8 - Search of the Kings , the finish is quite a ways before the Priest Rock/ Dogmeat intersection. I didn't find anything "wall" like until just before the intersection, however, and didn't stop until the intersection. Did I go too far or not far enough?

190lbs of climber
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike E
    Ok, so I went out and did the climb tonight and am a bit confused about where the end is. Based on the Google earth image on King Kennedy Climb: Sat Sept. 8 - Search of the Kings , the finish is quite a ways before the Priest Rock/ Dogmeat intersection. I didn't find anything "wall" like until just before the intersection, however, and didn't stop until the intersection. Did I go too far or not far enough?

The finish is where it levels out before the intersection. If you keep on riding, it takes 30 seconds to a minute to get to the intersection.
    Here is the approach as you climb: after 3.5ish miles you reach the "false summit" and the short downhill that follows. The road turns right for a small climb. Then there are the two "walls". The first is not so bad, most people make it. It then very briefly (30 yards or less) flattens a little before the second wall. Many walk this due to the combination of grade and loose dirt. The finish is at a (relatively) large tree on the left about 20 yards after the steepest part of the second "wall".
    THE BAY AREA... WHERE IF IT'S FUN, IT'S ILLEGAL

(Ali)
    Sep 2006
    The tree that marks the end of this not-race-nor-event is at the center of this image:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...01969&t=h&z=19

Zoom out for orientation.

"The wall" is from North to South and ends at that tree. Mere mortals and weak SS'ers like myself walk that sections. :/

Ali

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Menso
    The finish is where it levels out before the intersection. If you keep on riding, it takes 30 seconds to a minute to get to the intersection.
    Here is the approach as you climb: after 3.5ish miles you reach the "false summit" and the short downhill that follows. The road turns right for a small climb. Then there are the two "walls". The first is not so bad, most people make it. It then very briefly (30 yards or less) flattens a little before the second wall. Many walk this due to the combination of grade and loose dirt. The finish is at a (relatively) large tree on the left about 20 yards after the steepest part of the second "wall".
    Thanks Menso, that clears it up. I was just past 51 minutes to the intersection, so it looks like I've got a ways to go before becomming Kennedy royalty. But if I can get down to 45mins, and clear the 2nd wall, by the time the ride rolls around I'll be more than happy.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast