middle ring single track

"King Tide" photos?

Anybody else head to the coast to witness the highest tides of 2012?

To keep this somewhat OT I went somewhere I've ridden my bike to before; Monterey Bay's Salinas River Beach---this pix was taken about a month ago:

My Pugsly fat-bike on "the barge"; the only exposed shipwreck between Seacliff and Monterey.

I hiked in today; here's "the barge" at high tide a little before 10:00---the ridge in the background on the left is Empire Grade above Ben Lomand:

I just couldn't get enough of how the foam would blast out of the structure on the deck:

The shore birds didn't seem to mind at all:

Lots of shore birds; cohenfive's "Angry Birds' thread inspired me to take lots of fowl pictures. (pun intended) Barge barely visible in the distant surf; Loma Prieta is the high point on the horizon:

I could approach fairly close:

Before they'd take flight:

Looking away from the coast across the Salinas River National Wildlife Refuge towards Salinas; Fremont Peak is the high point---a bulkhead from some sort of modern craft lies buried in the sand:

They really don't want anybody entering the dunes; signs every few yards---"Saline Pond' is in the distance:

Signs are set at the mean high tide limit; State land towards the ocean, Federal land towards the dunes:

The dunes have grown in recent times enough to nearly bury some signs:

Portola supposedly planted a cross on this bluff which the twin stacks of the Moss Landing power plant appear to sprout from:

It's always struck me as odd that a "wildlife refuge" would allow hunting:

Main reason I hiked in this way was to document the "no bikes"; I must inquire as to why this is:

There's a mile or so of trail open to bikes from the parking lot; the last 1/4 mile to the beach is closed---WTF? (Would be perfect on a fat bike)

Here's a link Salinas River NWR: Refuge Map
    The views and opinions expressed here are those of the author and do not represent any policy of the CA Dept. of Parks & Rec.

mtbr member
    That's one of the only stretches of beach on the Monterey Bay that I've never been to. I'll have to get down there some time. Nice pics.

More Torque
    Enjoyable. Thanks for posting.

-D

mtbr member
    Thank you for sharing.