mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Kicked out of the peninsula thanks to dot com II, San Jose?

So our landlord kicked us out to make room for some gullible tech scmuck to shell out $2,500 a month to live in the Redwood City ghetto. Unfortunately, my peninsula homeland has been completely invaded with these idiots who insist on paying NYC prices live near either facebook or feces and bedbug infested SF. Looks like we're out of here for good this time around.

South San Jose looks promising, especially from Cambrian to Morgan hill. Almaden/Blossom seems really nice compared to middle class peninsula areas. I've never really spent much time down there except for riding the Coyote Creek Trail with kids. I see some of you guys ride Santa Teresa from home? Anywhere else down there with cheap digs, and a mix of road and mtb? We're likely buying and seek decent schools.

NONDURO
    You should be able to find something near Santa Teresa County Park (South San Jose) that isnít terribly overpriced. Iím 8 miles away from it, but right off the Los Alamitos Multi-Use Trail which connects to STCP (great warmup ride before getting there), and Dion is even close to STCP. I donít know of anyone at the moment renting out anything, or selling a house, but itíd be a good idea to check out Craiglist or the Mercury News classifiedsóthereís still plenty to choose from.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    I live in Almaden and can ride Santa Teresa from my garage. My view, the peninsula is way overrated and crowded and the housing stock as you've noted is crappy. If you live close to trails then it opens up riding opportunities that you wouldn't do or know about before because you are "not local." The only drawback is the commute to Silicon Valley. Since I don't have to drive to ride, I ride way more than I ever have and I'm in way better shape than I've ever been.

Junior flyer
    Jun 2010
    Yeah, we just ran into that problem!

My g/f accepted a job for the city of Palo Alto, so we're relocating next month. We started looking for a rental on the peninsula, and got pushed south by the prices. We were "stoked" to get a small duplex for 1800/month in west San Jose. There was lots of competition, and the realtor said they would have been lucky to get 1400 for it a few years ago. That area--including Campbell--seems pretty nice. But we're going to buy as fast as we can before we get priced out.

I think you'll be happy down there once you find a place; there's a good mix of trails within 30-45 minutes. As for schools, I taught in South San Jose back in 2000, and they were above average back then. You can go online to check their API scores. Good luck!
    Last edited by dirtvert; 12-31-2012 at 09:49 AM.
    Why?

Because we like the taste of freedom; because we like the smell of danger. ~ E. Abbey

mtbr member
    The Cambrian area is great because we are right in the middle of Santa Teresa and Los Gatos. There is a great little connector trail that will get you over to Almaden Lake and the Los Alamitos Creek trail that starts just off of Camden Ave...just south of Blossom Hill.
    "It's not about the bike"

> /dev/null 2&>1
    I assume you already are familiar with waterdog (having been so close in redwood city), have you looked around Belmont? There are lots of apts right there and you are also 5 min from 92 and thus a 35 min drive from skeggs & other 35 haunts.
    ------------------------------------------------
    They're justified and they're ancient and they like to roam the land

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I lived in South San Jose for about 15 years (Blossom Hill / Snell and then Cottle / Santa Teresa and I can tell you that the schools suck (Oak Grove and Santa Teresa) and the only riding near there is SCTP (which is IMNSHO one of the best places for a quick after-work ride anywhere in the Bay Area). All this BS about how the Peninsula isn't good is just that - BS. The Pen is the place to be for so many reasons not the least of which is the riding opportunities. If you can't afford it, well, then you gotta move south. But don't kid yourself.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by campisi View Post
    I lived in South San Jose for about 15 years (Blossom Hill / Snell and then Cottle / Santa Teresa and I can tell you that the schools suck (Oak Grove and Santa Teresa) and the only riding near there is SCTP (which is IMNSHO one of the best places for a quick after-work ride anywhere in the Bay Area). All this BS about how the Peninsula isn't good is just that - BS. The Pen is the place to be for so many reasons not the least of which is the riding opportunities. If you can't afford it, well, then you gotta move south. But don't kid yourself.

Cant agree more. Peninsula was the best when we used to rent at redwood shores. Waterdog was 15 minutes by bike. Is something i can do in the am before work. Shell at foster city was a bike path ride away. Carlmont was there. Skeggs and pacifica are vlose enough compare to now. If i can do it i would again. Only draw back was the 1.5 hr drive to demo and santa cruz. But you dont need that when crack and mile are only 30 minuts away.

Weird huh?
    Quote Originally Posted by Loll View Post
    Cant agree more. Peninsula was the best when we used to rent at redwood shores. Waterdog was 15 minutes by bike. Is something i can do in the am before work. Shell at foster city was a bike path ride away. Carlmont was there. Skeggs and pacifica are vlose enough compare to now. If i can do it i would again. Only draw back was the 1.5 hr drive to demo and santa cruz. But you dont need that when crack and mile are only 30 minuts away.
    Can't disagree more. I live at 85 and Camden. Schools are top rated (Leigh High and Middle), STCP, Kennedy, Hicks, Almaden, etc. are 10 min. rides away depending on the neighborhood. Rents aren't cheap, but can be found much lower than the OP was paying up north. Lot's of choices to be sure. I moved here little over 4 years ago (previously lived 15 years next to Soquel Demo) and I love the area.

It's all about quality of life. Waterdog is nice, but it is not going to compete with Sierra Azul OS.
    Just sayin'....
    And don't do the burrito jump... Francois

mtbr member
    I'm glad so many of you love the Peninsula. You know, you're right! Please stay there!

Plenty of stuff down here besides STCP but you won't read about it on here.

Santa Cruz and Demo are easily accessible and once you realize that it's a shorter drive there instead of the Peninsula and there are no rangers to contend with; you're like why exactly was I so stoked on the Peninsula? The only thing I miss about the Peninsula is Pacifica.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    The peninsula is pretty nice with great riding along with surf of the San Mateo county beaches, but we're straight up priced out due to this latest tech bubble nonsense. We're not exactly low income either, this is freaking crazy. It's a very weird feeling not to be able to live in your hometown, unless you live in your car or a box maybe. I hope these evil tech dorks don't destroy my homeland too much while I'm away.

Anyway, good to see there are some other heads down San Jose way. It seems more diverse down there income and people wise. I'm up for some new scenery too.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ddprocter View Post
    I assume you already are familiar with waterdog (having been so close in redwood city), have you looked around Belmont? There are lots of apts right there and you are also 5 min from 92 and thus a 35 min drive from skeggs & other 35 haunts.
    To be honest, I only rode Waterdog a couple times and I've lived very near it for many years. I'm now right at woodside road, so I'd always hit Skeggs or something on skyline. I'd road ride up Kings almost every morning all late spring summer and fall. A little farther down you have some of the best beachbreak anywhere at certain conditions. Bye peninsula, hello San Jose/Santa Cruz. Seems fitting you're shaped like a phallus.

Save Jesus
    I dunno what your budget or living requirements are, but there are plenty of cheap places in run-down spots in the middle of nice cities, like Midtown Palo Alto, Redwood City near the hills, Menlo Park near Willow, Mountain View, Sunnyvale, etc. Or if you like mountain biking so dam much, you could always live in the boonies up in the hills along Skyline.
    Last edited by beanbag; 01-01-2013 at 01:05 AM.

Hi.
    It all comes down to how long you're willing to commute.

Old,slow,still havin fun.
    feces and bedbug infested SF
    For the record, SF has strong tenant's laws that protect against the kind of thing you are experiencing. The laws are not perfect and have had some un-intended consequences, but they can be helpful.

But that's OK, SF is crowded enough.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Never been more thankful for my hood than after reading this thread. You guys in the city have it hard! Props to you guys that deal with the hustle and bustle and work hard to ride. If you ever feel the need to get away, here's a shabby map and a post card quality photo of a place not-so-far away where crowds don't exist, and traffic is seldom seen. Sorry, for some reason my font on the map is blurry, I blame Snagit editior, not great. Carry on-
    - .... . / .. -.. .. --- - ... / .... .- ...- . / - .- -.- . -. / --- ...- . .-.

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by twowheelmotion View Post
    Never been more thankful for my hood than after reading this thread. You guys in the city have it hard! Props to you guys that deal with the hustle and bustle and work hard to ride. If you ever feel the need to get away, here's a shabby map and a post card quality photo of a place not-so-far away where crowds don't exist, and traffic is seldom seen. Sorry, for some reason my font on the map is blurry, I blame Snagit editior, not great. Carry on-
    Airplane trail?
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com

Wanted: Syncros 27.2 x 425 seatpost, 26.8 x 400 IRD seatpost

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    ^ curious what trail that is. Looks fun!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Lol.. A good Hillbilly never reveals his secrets!

Really, just trying to spread some joy. I feel bad for the working folk hung up in the city.
    - .... . / .. -.. .. --- - ... / .... .- ...- . / - .- -.- . -. / --- ...- . .-.

orthonormal
    Quote Originally Posted by twowheelmotion View Post
    I could usually get home faster by bike than car when I was commuting between Corral de Tierra and Ryan Ranch along 68. That stretch from York Rd. to Toro Park gets pretty backed up. Downtown Carmel to/from Ryan Ranch is quite a bit easier by car but takes me almost twice as long by bike.
    The glass is twice as large as it needs to be

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by andy f View Post
    I could usually get home faster by bike than car when I was commuting between Corral de Tierra and Ryan Ranch along 68. That stretch from York Rd. to Toro Park gets pretty backed up. Downtown Carmel to/from Ryan Ranch is quite a bit easier by car but takes me almost twice as long by bike.
    Good point, Andy. You got me there. But really only for about an hour in the morning, and afternoon. Oh and at the entrance to Laguna Seca ..

It's nowhere near as bad as the 101 at I-80 at 5pm any day of the work week though! (IMO)

Wēk SŰs
    Quote Originally Posted by acctnut View Post
    We're likely buying and seek decent schools.
    What age? The schools will dictate the area(s), but you're going to pay for them too. Either way, I wouldn't look at a place with bad schools because it affects pricing, both sale and resale.

mtbr member
    Though Oak Grove and SJ Unified in this area has been crap in the past, it's gotten MUCH better. Specifically ST Elementary, Taylor Elementary, Sakamoto Elementary, Bernal Middle School, ST High School. Our kids kids have attended most of these and in the last 3-4 yrs have really been improving year after year. Just this last voting round we approved a 2nd round of $150MM funding for the local high schools. ST is much different today than even last year, and I think their football field is finally going to get lights.Woohoo!!

We've been in the area now for 7 yrs and love the ST area (love being near Coyote Creek, Metcalf and Almaden Valley too).