Kennedy Turkey Day 2012

Printable View

  • 11-21-2012
    Leopold Porkstacker
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by francois View Post
    This will be the warmest Turkey ride on record. Means minimal ice.

    In 2010 the temps were in the freezing range, and last year (2011) it was like being inside of a 44°F cloud the entire time. Looks as though this time it could actually be sunny and WARM for a change. Looking forward to this. Look for the doofus on the orange fatbike with the Duvel tripel hop.
  • 11-22-2012
    pmarshall
    Check one two- 6 hours till turkey ride!!! It seems to be getting colder outside. See you all in the morning. I will be the guy falling asleep and drooling while riding. Going to be fun.
  • 11-22-2012
    pmarshall
    Time check? Oh it's 0451 hours. Gobble gobble.
  • 11-22-2012
    ebnash
    Was going to go light (Carbon Rigid) and bring nothing, but decided to switch it up last night. Gonna ride the Morewood and carry a couple Pints up the hill. Cappuccino Stout and Chocolate Stout. Looking forward to the great conditions and happy crowds and the fun ride down Priest on the bigger bike. I too have to travel today, but screw it, don't want to miss the party up there.
  • 11-22-2012
    fc
    Rise and shine. Nice and cold outside!

    fc
  • 11-22-2012
    Leopold Porkstacker
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by francois View Post
    Rise and shine. Nice and cold outside!

    fc

    Probably won’t start to warm up until after 11:00AM. I’m dressing in layers for sure!
  • 11-22-2012
    motorbacon
    Waiting for House of Bagels to open up. Have some Inida Brown in the trunk.

    Matiasquatch doubters, see ya soon!
  • 11-22-2012
    cmdrpiffle
    And I'm back!

    Looks like a great turnout. I got up about 8:45 to the summit. Had to head down at 9 unfortunately.
    Think there were enough rangers and deputies out there this year?
  • 11-22-2012
    paulney
    Thanks, everyone, this was awesome! My first turkey ride, and I'm so stoked. Guys with the pig on the trailer are truly heroes!

  • 11-22-2012
    squashyo
    2 Attachment(s)
    Great fun out there...great weather, happy people, and the descent down Dogmeat was killer on the Bullit! I had so much fun, decided to do a quick Joes loop to earn an extra slice of pie. Happy TDay everyone!
  • 11-22-2012
    snowjnky
  • 11-22-2012
    ancient rascal
    2 Attachment(s)
    Good to see everyone today. Steady diet of Kennedy for me .... next 3 days prolly as the family is out of town.:)Attachment 739373

    Attachment 739374
  • 11-22-2012
    rollinrob
    What an awesomw day its was. My legs are cooked, wife is happy that I am home and I am ready for my second helping of turkey. I wish I had pics to share but I lost a camera up there at the top in a black case. If anyone found it PM me and I can descibe what is on the sd card or type of camera it is.
  • 11-22-2012
    cmdrpiffle
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by rollinrob View Post
    What an awesomw day its was. My legs are cooked, wife is happy that I am home and I am ready for my second helping of turkey. I wish I had pics to share but I lost a camera up there at the top in a black case. If anyone found it PM me and I can descibe what is on the sd card or type of camera it is.

    Rollinrob lost a camera in a black case.

    Someone found it.....help a guy out!:thumbsup:
  • 11-22-2012
    Nelson34
    First time I finally made it out to this ride-have to say a HUGE thanks to Leopold for tuning up my Pug and staying with me as I died up the hill-I went so slow at one point my Garmin stopped tracking while I was still riding! Hikers passed me up walking! But Leopold always was there along with Ancient Rascal to make sure I made it. Actually did ok for the Fat bikes first ride up Kennedy I guess. Saw a lot of friends and was asked ALOT of questions about the Pug. Good times-now off to eat-Happy Thanksgiving to everyone and your families!
  • 11-22-2012
    fc
  • 11-22-2012
    IAmHolland
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by francois View Post

    All I see are hooligans terrorizing Los Gatos and shredding Sierra Azul. There are too many smiling faces on that hill. It looked fun.

    I'm amazed the kids climbed up Kennedy on 20inch bikes, or did I see it wrong?
  • 11-22-2012
    ancient rascal
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by IAmHolland View Post
    All I see are hooligans terrorizing Los Gatos and shredding Sierra Azul. There are too many smiling faces on that hill. It looked fun.

    I'm amazed the kids climbed up Kennedy on 20inch bikes, or did I see it wrong?

    Yup .... there was one little guy on a small bike with Dad leading the way down. Skinny little tires with only a back brake. He was a full on "Little man" as it was a single speed he was riding ! :p
  • 11-22-2012
    cmdrpiffle
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Nelson34 View Post
    First time I finally made it out to this ride-have to say a HUGE thanks to Leopold for tuning up my Pug and staying with me as I died up the hill-I went so slow at one point my Garmin stopped tracking while I was still riding! Hikers passed me up walking! But Leopold always was there along with Ancient Rascal to make sure I made it. Actually did ok for the Fat bikes first ride up Kennedy I guess. Saw a lot of friends and was asked ALOT of questions about the Pug. Good times-now off to eat-Happy Thanksgiving to everyone and your families!

    I was going down, and saw LP offering to turn around to to help you out. Whassup with the fat bikes? You shrugged him off. Was there beer?
    :thumbsup:
  • 11-22-2012
    Nelson34
    I was dying and holding him up-felt bad-fat bikes are well-FUN-check out the Fat Bike forum. Yes there was beer.
  • 11-22-2012
    IAmHolland
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by ancient rascal View Post
    Yup .... there was one little guy on a small bike with Dad leading the way down. Skinny little tires with only a back brake. He was a full on "Little man" as it was a single speed he was riding ! :p

    That's pretty damn hardcore. How the kid made the climb, I'll never know. It's brutal.
  • 11-22-2012
    motorbacon
    Rotational mass that is a few ounces less than the weight of the moon does not like going upwards unless you have a coffee mug the size of an oil barrel.
  • 11-23-2012
    ElHombre
    Well, that was fun. Happy Thanksgiving!

    <iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/54123581?badge=0" width="600" height="338" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe> <p><a href="http://vimeo.com/54123581">2012 Los Gatos Turkey ride</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/user5287822">Dirk dB</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>
  • 11-23-2012
    fc
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by ElHombre View Post
    Well, that was fun. Happy Thanksgiving!

    Holy Moly Ratpick. Epic!!!!

    That could have been bad. Well, you probably have poison oak exposure now!

    On my Priest Rock descent, there was a rider down on the steep part. There were about 20 riders around him and 2 cyclist/doctors as they waited for rescue. He was ALL jacked up. Post if you have an update.


    fc
  • 11-23-2012
    ElHombre
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by francois View Post
    Holy Moly Ratpick. Epic!!!!

    That could have been bad. Well, you probably have poison oak exposure now!

    On my Priest Rock descent, there was a rider down on the steep part. There were about 20 riders around him and 2 cyclist/doctors as they waited for rescue. He was ALL jacked up. Post if you have an update.

    fc

    Saw that too and later in the coffeeshop in LG I was standing in line with a guy who said his buddy had gone down hard on Dog Meat; they called and waited for the medics etc and he thought his friend had broken his arm...
  • 11-23-2012
    Couch Bike Dude

    Klaus and I watched this Durango head up priest rock to evac man with the broken arm. He passed me down dog meat and crashed hard with a lot of screaming.
  • 11-23-2012
    Leopold Porkstacker
    Nice getting loaded with you all up in the hills yesterday. Patrick, you made that look painless.
  • 11-23-2012
    Couch Bike Dude
    Dittos, that Team Social Pace with Nelson, AR, you and the rest was great!
  • 11-23-2012
    Rumpfy
    Booze and Dogmeat don't mix I guess.
  • 11-23-2012
    Skyline35
    A few more photos…
    Turkey trailer





    Kmax





    Toast! Leopold Porkstacker, Nelson34(I think?), ranger, theseawind, Micheal, diskus, ElHombre's arm





    shredchic





    Francois, plymmer, ElHombre





    plymmer, ratpick, ElHombre





    Time to go…bailout, Kmax, the seawind





    Lily's Mom, Lily'sDad, and Lily




    Happy Holidays!
    ///Charlie
  • 11-24-2012
    Couch Bike Dude
    2 Attachment(s)
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Rumpfy View Post
    Booze and Dogmeat don't mix I guess.

    Attachment 739618

    Who would've guessed!
    My only serious injury was my treasured flask:

    Attachment 739617

    I blame these guys!
  • 11-26-2012
    fc
    1 Attachment(s)
    foto!
  • 11-26-2012
    j3blur
    1 Attachment(s)
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Couch Bike Dude View Post
    Attachment 739618

    Who would've guessed!
    My only serious injury was my treasured flask:

    Attachment 739617

    I blame these guys!

    Turkey Says: Don't Blame the Mtn. Bike Martinis for the Dogmeat Crash! :D
  • 11-27-2012
    fc
    1 Attachment(s)
    lil kids.
  • 11-27-2012
    ratpick
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by francois View Post
    Holy Moly Ratpick. Epic!!!!

    That could have been bad. Well, you probably have poison oak exposure now!

    On my Priest Rock descent, there was a rider down on the steep part. There were about 20 riders around him and 2 cyclist/doctors as they waited for rescue. He was ALL jacked up. Post if you have an update.


    fc

    That was the most fun I've had on a crash - very soft landing - I had the serious giggles for ages!

    And yep, not a small amount of poison oak :)

    We passed the crashed guy on dogmeat - in sober hindsight, that could have been me - must remember to hoist the parachute down Dogmeat next year!
  • 11-27-2012
    ratpick
    1 Attachment(s)
    I was one of the last to leave and spotted a red piece of a Pearl Izumi red Barrier jacket strung up in a tree

    I didn't want to leave it so grabbed it. I
    happen to have this exact jacket so I figured it may be useful if I don't find the owner.

    Let me know if it's yours!Attachment 740359
  • 11-29-2012
    Arek
    Just got back home in ON, Canada from visiting friends in San Jose. We did the Turkey Ride. I had a blast! Fantastic ride and atmosphere up top!
    Can anyone tell me what's the total climb from the bottom gate or maybe even including the Kennedy Rd. climb?
  • 11-29-2012
    ancient rascal
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Arek View Post
    Just got back home in ON, Canada from visiting friends in San Jose. We did the Turkey Ride. I had a blast! Fantastic ride and atmosphere up top!
    Can anyone tell me what's the total climb from the bottom gate or maybe even including the Kennedy Rd. climb?

    I can give you from the bottom gate to the top intersection where the party was is 1850 ft. gain. The out and back the way you came to the gate is 2000 ft. gain. You do a 150 ft. gain climb back to the gate / start. Not sure on the Kennnedy road climb as I trail ride only with no pavement. I have done the Kennedy trail climb a few times! :thumbsup:
  • 11-29-2012
    Arek
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by ancient rascal View Post
    I can give you from the bottom gate to the top intersection where the party was is 1850 ft. gain. The out and back the way you came to the gate is 2000 ft. gain. You do a 150 ft. gain climb back to the gate / start. Not sure on the Kennnedy road climb as I trail ride only with no pavement. I have done the Kennedy trail climb a few times! :thumbsup:

    Thanks rascal! I figured it would be around 2k.
  • 11-29-2012
    mboldt
    <iframe height='405' width='590' frameborder='0' allowtransparency='true' scrolling='no' src='http://app.strava.com/segments/973032/embed'></iframe>
  • 11-29-2012
    Couch Bike Dude
    <iframe height='405' width='590' frameborder='0' allowtransparency='true' scrolling='no' src='http://app.strava.com/runs/29074311/embed/a01c255a38e5cf4e0f3031efd9079cd27d7d8dd4'></iframe>
  • 11-29-2012
    gregg
    10 Attachment(s)
    Okay, only a week late, but here's a few pix I took.

    Always a great ride and great seeing so many people up there!

    -The 8:30 crowd at the gate. Kudos to the rangers for opening the gates, was a real cluster before that.

    -JeffH leaves the motor at home today.

    -iBikergal, JeffH, rensho, The Law and d-bug at the gate

    -my crew, before the drinking

    -ran into Pocahontas and mom cheering on all the bikers, yay!

    -happy riders

    -Shane riding his VooDoo pulling his precious cargo (beers!)

    -rensho sez, this climb sucks!
  • 11-29-2012
    gregg
    7 Attachment(s)
    A few more misc pix. Had a fun ride down Priest Rock to Overgrown. Was definitely riding a bit more "loose" after the Jager. Bummer about the downed rider, but it's easy to see how something bad could happen under those conditions.

    -mtbikermom and friends
    -Oak Tree gathering
    -crowd at the top...bigger than ever!
    -John Hauer from X-fusion greeting friends
    -Ali gets her drink on!
    -Mark59 filming the antics
    -Theseawind offers francois some yummy pot pie!