Uncle

Kenda Kharisma Lite from SOC -- $10?

At the Kenda tent at SOC, I picked up a front 2.1 for $10. My plan was to run it as a rear on my xc Yeti. There are two things I hate: Taking off a working tire to replace it with something that is both new AND inferior; and Remounting an older, heavily worn tire. I have done both of these before, most recently swapping out my 1000mi. MotoRaptor 2.14 rear for a Maxxis Monorail (free from my swagbag from Cool 2008). I used it the monorail at SOC and found it fast, light but really slick -- not much traction. Put the old tire back on shortly afterwards.

Long story short, I'm wondering if anyone in Nor Cal has used a front Kharisma Lite 2.1 as either a front or rear tire with pleasing results.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Entrenador; 07-12-2008 at 10:01 PM.
    Eat, ride, eat, rest, repeat.

bike dork extraordinaire
    I bought one with the same purpose in mind. Going to run it with a Nevegal 2.1 on the front. I mounted it last week but haven't ridden it yet. The volume is pretty low, with maybe a 1.9" casing, but the knobs look pretty good. I'm definitely going to keep the pressure at 40-45 psi.

beer is good for u
    why so much pressure? I would think 35 if in doubt...

I run all my tires low, but just curios if that's low or high for ya?

Uncle
    Thanks sirkrameroy.

Kind of what I expected with this scrawny lookin' tire. Claimed weight is 550g, but my scale says just a hair over 500g -- pretty thin casing. Hoping my rear suspension will take some of the hurt off of the tire and prevent pinch flats.

Looking forward to your feedback on this one.
    Thanks.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    $10 to try a tire??? I got that with a Bonti Jones XR from a swap meet.

Try it an if you dont like it your not out $50+ If you like it...
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

Uncle
    Quote Originally Posted by ziscwg
    $10 to try a tire??? I got that with a Bonti Jones XR from a swap meet.

Try it an if you dont like it your not out $50+ If you like it...
    Sure, I can do that and answer my own question of course. But lots of NorCal board folks went to SOC, I have to think Kenda moved a bunch of these that weekend. Just hoping someone beat me to it and has some useful input about it.

Maybe that'll be me...

bike dork extraordinaire
    So I went out to Skeggs today for a spin with the Kharisma on the back. Not bad, but did experience some slippage while climbing, especially on the gravel fireroads and sandstone sections. Part of that is the 45 psi I ran (didn't want to get a pinch flat) and the rest is probably due to the small size and harder L3r rubber compound. That said, downhill traction was decent and the tire rolls pretty well. Not something I'd buy again, but for $10, not bad.

Uncle
    Thanks for the feedback. If it worked okay at 45psi, I have to think it'll only get better with more air. My rim are narrow (17mm), which should mate well with the little Kharisma. If you drop the pressure and ride it, report back. If I may ask, what do you weigh geared up, btw? And are you riding a hardtail or FS bike?
    thanx again