mtbr member

June Group Rides sponsored by BTCEB

Hey all,

Just thought I'd post some upcoming June rides sponsored by the Bicycle Trails Council of the East Bay. I won't be spamming the boards with these rides all the time, but I'll probably mention them from time to time whenever there are a number of good ones coming up. Otherwise, if anyone ever wants to receive regular updates to upcoming rides, you can subscribe directly to the listserv: http://www.btceb.org/contact.htm .

I'll be at the BADD Ride this Sunday. Hope to see you out there!

Anywho, here are Junes rides so far: (Can also be viewed in more detail at: http://www.btceb.org/grouprides.php )

SUN JUN 6th very advanced - 9TH ANNUAL BRIONES TO ANTIOCH DIRT DEATH (BADD) RIDE
    This is the 9th annual BADD ride. It is a "point to point", one way, off-road bike ride, of East Bay Parks, and will start at Lafayette ART, and end at Pittsburgh BART. It will include: Briones Park, Acalanes Ridge Open Space, Canal Trail, Shell Ridge Open Space, Mt. Diablo State Park, Black Diamond Mines Regional Park, Contra Loma Regional Park, and finally, Delta De Anza Bike Trail. The ride is about 56 miles long, with 39 miles of dirt fireroad, 10 miles of paved bike trails, and 7 miles of pavement. There is about 8,000 of climbing. Time: Ride starts at 8am (to avoid heat the ride starts early). Finish time may be between 4pm to 6pm. Start Location: Lafayette BART/End Location: Pittsburgh BART Station. Highway 4 to Bay Road Exit. Please RSVP with ride leaders to confirm attendance or with any questions: Danny Forer D4er@comcast.net or Joe (Ibis) Towbis, joet@rexkey.com .

SAT JUN 19th Ride Rating: beginner/intermediate/advanced - CHINA CAMP STATE PARK
    The first annual Ales & Trails Mountain Bike Rides and Barbeque, co-sponsored by BTCEB, BTCM, Access 4 Bikes and NorCAMBA. Rides start at 9:30AM. Barbeque, with free draft beer at 12:30PM. The rides are on the buff singletrack in the park, and vary in length and pace for beginners to hammerheads. The rides and picnic are free for current members of any of the above clubs. If your membership is not current, you can renew at the party. The rides and the party will be at Miwok Meadows, in China Camp State Park in San Rafael. From 101 Freeway, take the North San Pedro Exit (Civic Center) going East. Go for 3.5 miles, and make a right turn, on dirt road, at Miwok Meadows sign. Free parking. FREE FOOD, FREE DRAFT BEER, FREE SINGLETRACK. For more information contact Danny Forer at: D4er@comcast.net

SAT JUN 26th - YOUTH BIKE ADVENTURES
    Wildcat Canyon with Girls Inc. We always welcome and encourage riders (BTCEB members or not) to come and ride with us to learn about the program and see how much fun we have. You do have to be a current dues paying member of BTCEB to be a "guide" for one of our youth riders. Please come ride with us and have some fun showing these kids a good time. RSVP at kaireen2@msn.com (Kai & Maureen).

SUN JUN 27th Ride Rating: T5/S10/O9 (very advanced) - 5TH ANNUAL MARIN MOUNTAIN METRIC CENTURY
    Approximately 70 miles with almost 10,000' of climbing. This is the big one. We will do the same route as last year, which goes from Fairfax to Wildcat Beach in Pt. Reyes. Major climbs include: Mt. Tam (via Eldridge), Fir Top (Stewart trail, twice), Bolinas Ridge (via aked Lady), San Geronimo Ridge (via 16 Knolls). Singletrack includes: Olema Valley Trail (5 miles) and Tamarancho (3 miles). Route subject to change. All riders must have a Tamarancho Pass. (Purchase a day pass, online, for $5, and print it out on your own printer, at www.boyscouts-marin.org ). Bring a large lunch, and at least 6 powerfood items. There are no stores on the route. There will be long istances without access to water, so suggest not less than 100 ounce camelback and 1 or 2 waterbottles. Fit, independent riders only. Lots of stops with moderate pace. Some opportunities for pavement bailouts. Bring maps if not familiar with the area. Starts at 8am at Deer Park school, Fairfax. Leaders: Danny Forer (D4er@comcast.net) and Joe (Ibis) Towbis (Joet@rexkey.com)

MONDAYS Ride Rating: T3/S5/O5 (beginner/intermediate) - WEEKLY MONDAY RECOVERY
    8 to 14 mi w/800' to 1,500' of climbing. Meet at 6:15 p.m. in the parking lot across from the public safety offices at Lake Chabot in Castro Valley (up the long driveway to the right of the main marina entrance - 17930 Lake Chabot Road). We leave by 6.30 p.m. to ride. Join us as we stretch our legs after a long weekend of racing and riding with a nice easy spin around Lake Chabot most every Monday evening. Advanced riders will get a good recovery ride and stretch while beginner riders will get in a good work-out ride. It's a no drop ride with plenty of stops so no matter your skill level, we'd love to have you join us! The ride may vary from week to week and based upon the desire of those who show. Please RSVP if you plan to show up, else ride may change w/o notice. Contact: Erin Ambrose [erin@boarsgut.com].

THURSDAYS Ride Rating: T5/S6/O6 (intermediate) - WEEKLY TUESDAY RIDE AT PLEASANTON RIDGE
    Approx 18 mi w/2,500' of climbing. Meet at 6:00 p.m. at the Oak Tree Staging Area off Foothill Rd. (1.5 miles west of the 680 Castlewood/Sunol Exit in Sunol) Experience one of the few EBRPD single tracks! This ride starts at the Oak Tree Trail in Sunol, transverses the Ridgeline Trail to Pleasanton's Augustin Bernal Park, and includes variations of ride, creek crossings, scenery, climbing, and single track each week. Based on rider ambitions, the ride can increase/decrease in climbing and distance, routes, etc. may need lights, please contact ride leader. Please RSVP if you plan on riding. For a map and additional park information, click here: http://www.ebparks.org/resources/pdf...s/pleasrig.pdf Contact: Jeff Chambers at jeffchambers@hotmail.com.

THURSDAYS Ride Rating: intermediate - WEEKLY THURSDAY EAST BAY SHOP RIDE W/EDEN BICYCLES
    Approx 35 miles of moderate road riding. Meet at 6:30 p.m. at Eden Bicycles in Castro Valley (3313 Village Dr., (510) 881-5000) for a little variety in our week as we hit the pavement and take a moderate paced spin in the East Bay. Ride will vary from week to week in distance, pace and type of ride. Show up early to Eden Bicycles for special one day sales and discounts for attending riders only. RSVP if you plan to ride with us. Contact: Paul Oellerich [poellerich@comcast.net].

FRIDAYS Ride Rating: T4/S5/O6 (intermediate) - WEEKLY FRIDAY JOINT RIDE W/TEAM WRONG WAY
    Approx. 14 to 20 mi w/1,000' to 2,000' of climbing. Team Wrong Way [www.teamwrongway.com] hosts this weekly training and fun ride and welcomes BTCEB along! Meet at 6:00 p.m. in the parking lot across from the public safety offices at Lake Chabot in Castro Valley (17930 Lake Chabot Road). The ride will vary based upon the desire of those who show and usually gets underway 6:15-6:30 p.m. May need lights, please contact ride leader. The group may go for dinner afterwards. Contact: Ken Jeffery [kenjeffery@bayair.net].

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    hey thanks for posting this, i wasn't sure you guys were still holding group rides. i may try to join you on some, maybe the chabot ride to start.

funny story (at least to me)...a couple of years ago when i first started riding i went on one of your group rides in tilden/wildcat. my wife wanted me to ride with a group for safety and it was supposed to be a 2 hour intermediate ride. i got killed by the group!! i knew i was in trouble when the first rider to show up was a 22 year old swedish grad student at berkeley with legs as long as my entire body!! i barely made it back to the car after more than 3 hours of riding.

now i'm still not a racer or anything but i ride enough for that ride to be pretty doable now. but at the time i thought, woah, am i out of my league on an intermediate ride!!!

i've never been to the pleasanton ridge, that may be a weekend thing from lafayette..

mtbr member
    The BTCEB doesn't post many official group rides during the winter season due to trail issues and weather. But the calendar usually kicks in starting with Daylight savings.

Yeah, the ride difficulty rating is very subjective and usually varies depending who attends the ride. The Lake Chabot ride my wife leads on Mondays is a beginner/intermediate ride and is usually a medium pace for beginners, a slow pace for intermediates, and a recovery for advanced riders. Typically tyakes about 1.5 hours.

I occasionally lead a Wednesday Lake Chabot ride. We go for 20-35 miles depending on attending riders at as near non-stop as we can (brief stops for regrouping only) at a moderate to fast pace and we usually focus on climbing (Lake Chabot: Live Oak, Soaring Hawk, MacDonald grade; Redwood Park: West Ridge). I rate the ride intermediate/advanced for 20-25 miles (Lake Chabot only), advanced for more miles (Chabot & Redwood, plus maybe Joaquin Miller). I announce these rides on the BTCEB listserv as they come and they aren't usually on the online calendar.

I haven't attended Jeff's Pleasanton Ridge ride yet. I would contact him for more info on the pace and miles. I always recommend contacting the ride leader for a better idea of what to expect.

Hope to see you out there some time!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    thanks, i'll check on your website as well...

maybe i should bring my son on the chabot ride--he's not 10 yet but i've been riding with him in china camp, doing the entire loop around. haven't seen anyone else his size in there....

maybe my wife too...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Pleasanton Ridge Recommended Route??

i may be heading down there later today, anyone have a route recommendation for someone going there for the first time? thanks.