mtbr member

Joseph D Grant Ranch 2/2/13 9:30am

Proposed route: main lot -> Dutch Flat (to scenic overlook) -> Canada de Pala -> right on Hotel -> Foothill -> Bonhoff -> (cross 130) Canada de Pala -> Yerba Buena -> small lot

Anyone interested can park in the small lot for free, but the ride starts at the Dutch Flat trailhead in the main parking lot. I'll be riding in/out from Quimby and will meet at this meetup spot. I'll be on a performance bike (not my opinion; the label says 'performance' on the downtube).

Proposed meet time around 9am and I'd guess 2-3 hours at TSP pace. However, I will limit myself to 2 hours max trail time (maybe a lot less depending on how I'm feeling), and will pick up the pace accordingly or bailout on 130 after Bonhoff.

This route isn't too steep (except a short climb on Bonhoff), but it is pretty much just climbing/descending fire roads all the time.

Post if interested! If no replies, then route/times subject to change. Also, this ride is subject to change due to weather (I don't mind cold, but don't like cloudy).
    Last edited by tosa; 01-31-2013 at 05:51 PM. Reason: time change from 9am

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I'll be there...

I believe this is the route:

gmap-pedometer.com

Here's the map of the park.

You might want to call them on Friday, as the trails on that part of the park were closed last weekend. Also the initial climb on Dutch Flat is "fun".
    Last edited by sjhiker; 01-29-2013 at 08:52 AM. Reason: added map of park

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I might be interested, though the 9 am start is a little early for me. I've never been to Joseph Grant, I live not too far from it. Are you following the trial posted by sjhiker?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by solidfish View Post
    I might be interested, though the 9 am start is a little early for me. I've never been to Joseph Grant, I live not too far from it. Are you following the trial posted by sjhiker?
    Yes, that is the route! We can push the start time back to 930ish if that works.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I'm interested in but I'm kind of a weak climber. If you are ok with keeping a relaxed pace, I'll try to make it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I'm no mountain goat. I actually "suffer" up the climbs of Grant so I can enjoy the ridge lines and the downhills. Plus i love the rush of looking back at where made it up...

mtbr member
    Start time's now 9:30am.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Alright, I'll be there. I've never been there before but on the map, looks like we just park at the parking lot next to 130, right?
    -----------------------
    Enthuziast

mtbr member
    The small lot on the north side of 130 is free. But we'll meet on the south side. Specifically, let's meet at/near E6 (equestrian campground on the subset of the map) at 9:30am.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Great ride today... excellent weather and the ground was damp and not sticky.

To the right is Santa Clara Valley covered in fog... no fog in Grant Park...
    Joseph D Grant Ranch 2/2/13 9am-8438475525_fae60fc9eb_c.jpg

Joseph D Grant Ranch 2/2/13 9am-8438475203_fdb9fafd72_z.jpg

Joseph D Grant Ranch 2/2/13 9am-8439562510_8815edd109_z.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Where's the Like button?

It was fun today. I'll post up video soon. Sorry to say though that most of the footage was shaky. Need to tweak the chest mount...

I did get a little lost the second half of the ride. Went off a trail I thought would be a shortcut but it wasnt.
    -----------------------
    Enthuziast

mtbr member
    Sorry I had to bailout, solidfish. Next time I will give you a better tour!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    No problem tosa. I was just trying to be brave and go down an unmarked trail. Turned out to be foolish instead...

-----------------------
    Enthuziast

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Unmarked trail or cattle path?