Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    fc
    stoked Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by ericm979 View Post
    Do you mean they were waving/threatening you with sticks? Or just hiking with hiking poles? Cause I've ridden JNT a hundred times and I've never seen the former. Hikers there are generally pretty polite; the worst behaviour is just not paying attention or hearing my bike bell when they're blocking the trail.

Other MTBers are more of a threat, due to descending faster than their skill or sight line actually allows. I take it easy on weekends when there's a lot of people on the trail.

When the bike park opens people who want to push their limits will hopefully be going there.
    Not stick/pole waving hikers but hardcore hikers with poles and that hat.

They're nice to me since it's just good encounters.
    IPA will save America

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    When it opens, there will be a blythe of two-way traffic on fast, blind corners.
    I treat JNT like I would Jones. I don't go there to get rad or crush Strava DH times.

One of the few climbs I actually enjoy and in this heat, the cover of trees is fantastic. Coming back down is under control with the expectation of another rider or hiker at every corner. Happy to let it go with appropriate visibility and more so during way off peak days/times.

I've had only good encounters and experiences out there.
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Rode out to lake ranch from saratoga gap yesterday.
    Rangers were out with chainsaws on JNT so the downed trees should be cleared.
    Another MTB'er told us the road from black is totally cleared and ridable (even though the do not enter signs are still up.) Didn't check it myself.

mtbr member
    Thanks dude! I got turned away on the fire road from black last week due to heavy machinery in action. I imagine they are finished now but not sure.
    I'm not sure how this works.

Wēk Ss
    Do you mean they were waving/threatening you with sticks? Or just hiking with hiking poles? Cause I've ridden JNT a hundred times and I've never seen the former. Hikers there are generally pretty polite; the worst behaviour is just not paying attention or hearing my bike bell when they're blocking the trail.

Other MTBers are more of a threat, due to descending faster than their skill or sight line actually allows. I take it easy on weekends when there's a lot of people on the trail.

When the bike park opens people who want to push their limits will hopefully be going there.
    +1.

Bikers really need to take it easy on MUT.

Many need to learn the right of way on singletrack. Uphill first. It bugs me to no end when downhillers don't stop, and/or play chicken, expecting the climbers to stop and pull over out of their way, especially when I'm with my kids on a climb. Stop the Strava and racing on MUT and deal with it properly. I teach my kids right of way, especially at Skegg's. I make sure they know climbers have right of way. Pull off and let them pass. You have the angle to stop, being that they are slowly climbing, get off, pull the bike, and let them pass without them breaking stride. This goes double with horses on doubletrack. Or be a deuche, descend, at speed and push them off the trail, and possibly over the edge of the trail making them fall when you have 800mm bars. I see these folks @ EMc as well, all kitted out, and bombing the trail on a weekend. Yeah, Team XYZ, I saw you that time...

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by squashyo View Post
    Thanks dude! I got turned away on the fire road from black last week due to heavy machinery in action. I imagine they are finished now but not sure.
    Not yet. It's rideable but they're putting serious work into it so it'll hold up better in future winters. Four more weeks according to Greg at the bike park meeting last night.

They work roughly 8am-5pm on weekdays.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Not yet. ... Four more weeks according to Greg at the bike park meeting last night.
    Thanks for that update.

For my part, I updated the Lake Ranch connector diagram to be aligned with reality (north up).
    Notice the angles follow the San Andreas Fault line almost perfectly.

Let me know if there are any inaccuracies in this diagram below.
    For example, I don't remember if there is a gate at the top of the JNT at Skyline.
    And I'm not sure how the park boundary curves at that gate (nor at the Sanborn Road junction).

mtbr member
    Blacks fire road was "closed" yesterday, but filled with hikers and bikers. JNT was rolling great.

Wēk Ss
    any idea when it'll reopen officially, from Black?

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    About three weeks.

VRC Illuminati
    I wouldn't head out there during peak hours, but I can't see any reason it's not already open.

Those were some big ass slides, they did a great job shoring everything up!
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

middle ring single track
    Had a chat yesterday with Greg of SCCParks and he put a date of August 5th for the JNT to be officially open. I suspect SJWCo is still using trucks/tractors in the area and don't want the hassle of park visitors traipsing by their work sites. Easier for them to keep it closed until they're all clear.
    Content here does not officially represent the CA DPR.

Windows 10, destroying humanity one upgrade at a time.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    "Sources" say that there are still a number of large pieces of equipment including buckets, compactors, pile drivers and water trucks. The road is now completely passable in a mini cooper, i.e., graded smooth, but there is still work to be done in shoring up one section. August sounds about right based on what the sources saw.

Wouldn't it be great if they could open it up while the work stops cause there are really no hazards at all and nothing across the road. That would mean mornings, weekends and early evenings access which is when the 99% of working clods like me can only get out for a ride.

The rest of the trail is flowing nice, the marbles have sorted themselves out to the edges, but there are way more deep sandy sections than every before. I still cant believe how lucky we are to have this quality ST trail so close.

mtbr member
    With the Black Road entrance closed, where would the next open entrance be? Does everyone park on 35 ride down as far as they can go then turn around and go back up? I was hoping to try out the trail tomorrow morning.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    35 and sanborn are both open. I rode out via black today and people were parked there too. (Tractors aren't running on the weekend.)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brucero View Post
    35 and sanborn are both open. I rode out via black today and people were parked there too. (Tractors aren't running on the weekend.)
    OK cool I'll drive by Black Road tomorrow morning. If the bulldozers are running I'll just drive up and do Saratoga Gap / Long Ridge instead.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by yetilicious View Post
    OK cool I'll drive by Black Road tomorrow morning. If the bulldozers are running I'll just drive up and do Saratoga Gap / Long Ridge instead.

Nope. Still officially closed at least on weekdays. Had signs all over the Black Road entrance. I left and tried to go up 35 to Saratoga Gap but found out a section of 35 was closed also.

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by yetilicious View Post
    Nope. Still officially closed at least on weekdays. Had signs all over the Black Road entrance. I left and tried to go up 35 to Saratoga Gap but found out a section of 35 was closed also.

Section of 35 is the biggest road closure in our recent history. It's called the Saratoga Grand Canyon. Al

I did notice that in your plan earlier but i thought you knew about the closure. The work is almost done i hear.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Park off the road right before the closure on westbound 35 and there is a trail to the top of JNT/skyline trail

mtbr member
    Someone left thier gloves up a bench under the large boulder on the trail either last yesterday or early today.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12