mtbr member
    May 2017

Joaquin miller tomorrow morning (1/11/18)?

Will try to be at trailhead around 8-830
    Hit me up if you wanna do some cinderella/big trees/chap loops together!
    -minh
    two
    six

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Sorry, my MTB is still in the shop. But with 3 inches of rain in the hills on Monday, trails might still be too sloppy anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by minhinmonterey View Post
    Will try to be at trailhead around 8-830
    Hit me up if you wanna do some cinderella/big trees/chap loops together!
    -minh
    two
    six

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Yea I am debating going there for a weekend ride. It will be sloppy for sure.

Oaktown Honkey on Strava
    Sep 2010
    Trails are barely muddy, its GREAT! Was at JMP yesterday (Wednesday) scoping out conditions. I was on hardtail, so didnt feel like doing CHAP or CINDY, so cant vouch for those. Alot of duff was washed off of Big trees, so now its hardpack dirt racetrack. I was thanked many times for using a bell to warn hikers/joggers. Buy a bell! One tree down could surprise you, short downhill from top of Bishops walk back down to bridge on lower Palos. Anti bike people are putting branches across newer social trails (100's of branches). I will let them have their way for awhile, then we'll see if those trails magically resurect in the spring. Hahaha. (These are not illegal trails, just newer social trails). Have fun, report back.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Thanks for the info.....

BTW, Are you the same hooli from BARF ?

Oaktown Honkey on Strava
    Sep 2010
    Nope. Hoolie here only.

mtbr member
    I just finished up at JMP. Big Trees, Chap and Cindi were all riding well. The only super soft spots were on the switchbacks at the end of Cindi. The mud on the bike was mostly from UCSC and Demo over the weekend. JMP soft spots were more like moist mulch and not mud.
    Joaquin miller tomorrow morning (1/11/18)?-img_7859.jpg

mtbr member
    Jmp will be primo for the 3 day weekend!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I was there on Sunday morning. Traction was excellent.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Those branches might not be from hikers, some mountain bikes have been known to block user developed trails. Those trails give riders a bad represetation with the park personal.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by rangeriderdave View Post
    Those branches might not be from hikers, some mountain bikes have been known to block user developed trails. Those trails give riders a bad represetation with the park personal.
    Out of curiosity, why are the gates sometimes open and sometimes not to get to the parking lots?

NedwannaB
    Curious....social but not illegal? Those words are not used in the same context over here on this side of the bay. Please discuss. Not ridden over there but have heard of the area and trying to give a friend new to the east Bay Area some trails over there.
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

mtbr member
    For your entertainment - 3 teenagers inexplicably trying to lower their bikes down the side of the hill toward the creek across from lower Palos Colorados.

We watched the shenanigans (it was not going well) for a minute from the other side and then kept hiking down Palos. If they were planning on poaching Palos, I can't think of a worse way.

This was hiking on Monday. Rode on Saturday and conditions were fantastic.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I'm not sure which trails you are talking about that have branches on them. I rode yesterday morning early in JMP and didn't encounter any. However, I have often encountered them in other areas (literally dozens in one spot) and have wondered if children placed them there (there are "forts" built with pole branches in many locations in JMP).

I have to agree with what JMac47 is saying. What is the difference between a social trail and an illegal trail? I've seen a fair amount of trail cutting in JMP leading to trail widening and avoidance of obstacles. Which is hilarious to me because just about everything is rideable in JMP esp with the bikes most people ride nowadays. Not saying you do this, but I have seen people cut new trail on their full sus bikes to avoid a minor roots. There's also the issue that new trails being built or ridden that weren't sanctioned by City of Oakland can lead to us getting banned from the only place in the East Bay hills that has legal ST.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    agreed.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    That's a pretty steep hillside. WTF were they thinking?

Unfortunately, I've seen a fair amount of dangerous stupidity and hilarity in JMP over the years. It's a park in a major metropolitan area but some treat it as their personal race track as if no one else used it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by obviouslyme View Post
    For your entertainment - 3 teenagers inexplicably trying to lower their bikes down the side of the hill toward the creek across from lower Palos Colorados.

We watched the shenanigans (it was not going well) for a minute from the other side and then kept hiking down Palos. If they were planning on poaching Palos, I can't think of a worse way.

This was hiking on Monday. Rode on Saturday and conditions were fantastic.
    Ha! That gave me a much needed laugh. What was their end game here, that sheer drop is about 5-7 feet. I would have stopped long enough to see the "completion" of these shenanigans. Kids, right? But when I was a BMXer I probably would have tried to ride it

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Claus View Post
    Ha! That gave me a much needed laugh. What was their end game here, that sheer drop is about 5-7 feet. I would have stopped long enough to see the "completion" of these shenanigans. Kids, right? But when I was a BMXer I probably would have tried to ride it
    There's nothing. Maybe a little deer trail leading down the canyon, but nothing you could ever ride.

I asked them what the plan was, and the eldest said they didn't want to ride back up to where they'd just come from.

There was no plan. That was apparent.

mtbr member
    Conditions on Saturday were primo. Couple high school teams out training.
    East Bay Parks AKA East Bay Cattle Ranches

mtbr member
    Aside from a couple spots off the Big Trees area, I haven't seen much trail cutting at JMP. But I do agree it's not a good look for those of us who want to keep riding legal singletrack. I think trail cutting/poaching is more prevalent across the street in Redwood, and for good reason. There's so much potential there for good singletrack...

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    There are many word that can describe trails, illegal brings up negative connotations. Other words such as social ,user developed ,deer ,cow, unsanctioned are usually a better description' Using those words make for a better image for mountain bikers. Some riders aren't aware that they are causing problems for park personal and other riders. By staying on marked developed trails you are being a responsible rider .

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by rangeriderdave View Post
    There are many word that can describe trails, illegal brings up negative connotations. Other words such as social ,user developed ,deer ,cow, unsanctioned are usually a better description' Using those words make for a better image for mountain bikers. Some riders aren't aware that they are causing problems for park personal and other riders. By staying on marked developed trails you are being a responsible rider .
    Our go to word for social or unsanctioned trail is "volunteer" trail. If out on a social group ride, and we happen upon a spur trail we take a consensus before we venture off, knowing full well every man/woman is on there own. Seems to work well in that context.
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I was out there yesterday morning and noticed alot of tree branches "placed " in the middle of the trail on Big trees. I know it was windy, but it seemed like quite a few.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSocko View Post
    I was out there yesterday morning and noticed alot of tree branches "placed " in the middle of the trail on Big trees. I know it was windy, but it seemed like quite a few.
    About what time? I only hit Big Trees once yesterday at around noon, but I didn't notice any branches. Hikers and dogs off leash, on the other hand...plenty of both lol. Still, what a beautiful day to ride that park!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Started at 8am. Traction was prime out there.