Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    middle ring single track

It's not just the CSP...

Quote Originally Posted by slocaus View Post
    The office staff works 12 hour days, trying to do 1 1/2 to 2 jobs, since they are understaffed, and the budget means no more employees.
    Endemic of poor management practices in bureaucracies everywhere; they'll pay overtime (I'm assuming office staff is not donating their time) by deferring monies from elsewhere but they won't do the right thing and provide adequate staffing levels. (or proper office automation?)

Are you listening Jerry? (our Governor)
    The views and opinions expressed here are those of the author and do not represent any policy of the CA Dept. of Parks & Rec.

Paper or plastic?
    Frankly, the fact that public employees can accrue vacations for ever is a complete abuse of the system. None of us can do that in the private sector. Use it or lose it.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by zorg View Post
    Frankly, the fact that public employees can accrue vacations for ever is a complete abuse of the system. None of us can do that in the private sector. Use it or lose it.

I think it varies by agency and organization. I used to work for the UC system. You could accrue up to 2 years vacation, and then you topped out, were forced to take vacation days as they accrued.

The challenge is, you still have to get your vacation approved by supervision, and if your unit is short-staffed, either your vacation gets turned down or your work doesn't get done while you are out. I could see both these latter things happening in state parks.

mtbr member
    In my public agency, we can accrue 400 hours of vacation time (10 weeks) but then it's the same thing: use it or don't accumulate any more. At least that's what I've been told.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by pliebenberg View Post
    Endemic of poor management practices in bureaucracies everywhere; they'll pay overtime (I'm assuming office staff is not donating their time) by deferring monies from elsewhere but they won't do the right thing and provide adequate staffing levels. (or proper office automation?)
    Those are some good observations. I would note that given the cost of benefits, someone can rack up quite a bit of OT, whether in the public or private sector, before it makes sense to hire another permanent employee. Also, some staff is not hourly. Even low leveled managers can be salaried, and your work day ends up being as long as it needs to be. I don't know if state parks operates like that, but UC does. I had colleagues who were quite cynical about the "raise" they got with a promotion.

But enough of the thread hi-jack. The whole situation with the JDT really sucks. I'm wondering if it might take someone outside state parks to clean it up. It would be very interesting if slocaus and pliebenberg could both sit down with a state auditor or someone in the legislature who is on the right committee and pro parks and share their very different experiences.

mtbr member
    I would think it better to get the trail built and let the state parks bureaucracy forget about it shortly afterward. Unless, of course, the park rangers sit there like the overseer in Cool Hand Luke and tell the volunteers they've got a failure to communicate . . . cool hand luke - YouTube

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by imtnbke View Post
    I would think it better to get the trail built and let the state parks bureaucracy forget about it shortly afterward. Unless, of course, the park rangers sit there like the overseer in Cool Hand Luke and tell the volunteers they've got a failure to communicate . . . cool hand luke - YouTube
    That is basically what is happening. Last trail work day the Trail Supervisor basically stood there and said you will move that four foot bench four feet the side. Yes, I know there is a large granite boulder there but that does not matter, move the trail.

That is when I decided I would never work for that kid again.

That along with what they did to Ichabod Tree. That stuff is just nonsense. I will make it a point to do trail work. But will not work for the Trail Sup or the Parks Sup unless there are some significant changes. They lost my support and I can easily clean JDT how it sits.

Long Live the Underground.
    Here's to sweat in your eye.

middle ring single track

With Photoshop...

Quote Originally Posted by mudncrud View Post
    That is basically what is happening. Last trail work day the Trail Supervisor basically stood there and said you will move that four foot bench four feet the side. Yes, I know there is a large granite boulder there but that does not matter, move the trail.

That is when I decided I would never work for that kid again.

That along with what they did to Ichabod Tree. That stuff is just nonsense. I will make it a point to do trail work. But will not work for the Trail Sup or the Parks Sup unless there are some significant changes. They lost my support and I can easily clean JDT how it sits.

Long Live the Underground.
    Photobucket
    ...it would be too easy to paste a shotgun in place of the McLeod into this photo---I would do it but I have better things to be doing. Besides; the "kid" with his back to the camera (Jim or Tim I forget who) actually did move some dirt that day. For all we know they may have been under orders not to work with the inmates uh err volunteers.

BTW; that's mudworm and mudncrud next up the trail.

Photobucket
    But most of the day(s) did look like this; that's Tim and Jim (or Jim and Tim) giving orders to the head "trustee" (VOCal's Craig F) while mudworm leans in to eavesdrop.

Again, these guys may have had orders not to join in; they were there for oversight and the need for a CSP Staff member with EMT certification to be present. Ya don't see ambulance drivers doing much at events do you? (unless somebody gets hurt of course)

AND; these guys probably don't work weekends on a regular basis (and they prolly would have loved to drink the beer we offered them later but had to turn down because they were still "on-duty")
    The views and opinions expressed here are those of the author and do not represent any policy of the CA Dept. of Parks & Rec.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Perhaps I am being a bit harsh on Jim and Tim and I did see one of them work for about 15 minutes then go sit and talk with the other for about an hour or so.

I realize he is taking orders. But, the way I look at it is, he carried out the orders so he can take ownership for his handi work. He may be a swell guy to have a beer with, doubt that I will ever know.

mtbr member
    Off topic, but I rode at Coe today and discovered that the top of Cross Canyon Trail south of Coit Road and down to Cattle Duster and Grapevine has been rerouted. Who did that work and when? It's nice.

mtbr member
    I haven't checked this thread before, but I knew the work was going on and thought that everything was going well. So, I was surprised last month when I happened to be out at the Dowdy Ranch center and heard otherwise. The volunteer (a very nice former ranger) told us that unauthorized trail structures had been installed on the JDT and it had been closed until the issued could be resolved. What?

After seeing the pictures, I am rather upset. None of these features would be called structures in my opinion (I was thinking of double jumps, wood ladders, teeter-totters, etc.) Then, reading through the thread I can see the unmovable obstacle that bureaucracy has handed the hard working volunteers. Build it EXACTLY this way, or we will shut the trail and make an example of you lawless mountain bikers! This is not what anyone wants, but it is their policy. Not fun, not nice, but we all have to deal with it. I wish it were different, and that mountain bikers had as much of a voice as the hiking/equestrian crowd, but the tide has yet to turn...

Hopefully this will all get sorted out when trail work begins again in November. I'd like to see the new trail when it is completed. Last time I was out there, I rode up Anza/Jackson and back down Domino Pond/Cattle Duster/Grapevine (with an unnecessary long detour to Kelly Lake). I don't get out that way often, but I am looking forward to the finished JDT product when it is completed. It looks like all of you have been doing a lot of great work out there. I'm really impressed with your dedication and willingness to see this project through, regardless of the bureaucratic hassles.

middle ring single track

Re-routed!?!?

Off topic, but I rode at Coe today and discovered that the top of Cross Canyon Trail south of Coit Road and down to Cattle Duster and Grapevine has been rerouted. Who did that work and when? It's nice.
    Photos???

When was the last time you rode it? A long time ago?

I'm not aware of any recent work but that doesn't mean it hasn't happened---I'll go check it out.

trail rat
    Quote Originally Posted by r3r3r View Post
    I'm really impressed with your dedication and willingness to see this project through, regardless of the bureaucratic hassles.
    Every trail building group will tell you that IS what it takes to get new mtb trails built.
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

middle ring single track

Trumped up charges...

The volunteer (a very nice former ranger) told us that unauthorized trail structures had been installed on the JDT and it had been closed until the issued could be resolved. What?
    It rather burns my ass that this info is still circulating; the Ranger who shut us down embellished the situation on the JDT so he could justify his harsh actions.

When the District Trails Spvr saw those "structures" he had a chuckle which made me feel a little better. ("..structures? I wouldn't call those structures---maybe features ...")

Probably the "structure" that caused us the most grief was where we (perhaps "I" as it was my idea) split the trail so horses could avoid the low limbs of "Icabod's Oak". Boy oh boy what a lesson learned!

mtbr member
    Photos???

When was the last time you rode it? A long time ago?

I'm not aware of any recent work but that doesn't mean it hasn't happened---I'll go check it out.
    I thought I'd ridden it within the last few months, but maybe it's been between six months and a year. The work doesn't look recent. I have a feeling it's me.

It used to be that you went south on Cross Canyon for 0.1 mile south of Coit Road, and then dropped straight down an old fire road (usually overgrown) to Coit Springs Trail (?) if I'm remembering the name correctly. Now there's a branch there to signal that it's closed. You turn left (east) and down a very narrow singletrack to the point where you get to the serpentine rock feature on Coit Springs (?). Maybe that trail was always there but I was missing it on each ride.

Heading out the door now for a ride (already late) but will check back later on this thread!

middle ring single track

Same trail, new (ish) sign.

I thought I'd ridden it within the last few months, but maybe it's been between six months and a year. The work doesn't look recent. I have a feeling it's me.

It used to be that you went south on Cross Canyon for 0.1 mile south of Coit Road, and then dropped straight down an old fire road (usually overgrown) to Coit Springs Trail (?) if I'm remembering the name correctly. Now there's a branch there to signal that it's closed. You turn left (east) and down a very narrow singletrack to the point where you get to the serpentine rock feature on Coit Springs (?). Maybe that trail was always there but I was missing it on each ride.

Heading out the door now for a ride (already late) but will check back later on this thread!
    OK; that explains it; the re-route has been there for a fair bit (8 years?)---the signs are newer. (a year old?) I think there's even mention of their installation on that "Pliny's Missing Marker Contest" thread if you care to look it up.

Is now still the time?

Trail work to resume

PRA Event

Title:
    Fall Trail Day -- Jim Donnelly Trail
    When:
    November 10, 2012 9:00AM - 3:00PM
    Where:
    Hunting Hollow Entrance and Parking Lot -
    Category:
    Lending a Hand
    Description

We will work on the realignment of the Jim Donnelly Trail accessed from Hunting Hollow gate. This is a great new multi-use trail that is becoming popular with all users. It's a 3.5 mile trail that starts right across from the first Hunting Hollow creek crossing. It provides a sustainable 10% grade trail all the way up to Steer Ridge Road.

We'll do trail work rain or shine. It's been dry for a long time, the ground is hard, and conditions will be dusty. We'll focus on widening the trail in the bottom one mile section up to the picnic table.

We will be working with McLeods, Pick-mattocks, shovels, rakes, loppers, and hand saws. Instruction on safe tool use will be provided.

We'll meet at the Hunting Hollow Parking Lot at 9AM to organize teams, hand out tools and walk to the work sites. We'll work until 3PM, with a noon time lunch break all together along the trail.

You will be expected to sign a liability release to participate in this activity. Participants under age of 18 will be required to provide a Parental/Guardian Permission for Juveniles Consent Form.

Plan on wearing sturdy boots, long trousers and bring work gloves if you have them. Bring a lunch and water.

Thanks for being willing to help, we're looking forward to a great day in this beautiful park.

Please contact Paul Nam (email vocinam@yahoo.com) to express your interest in volunteering for this trailwork activity.

Venue

Venue:
    Hunting Hollow Entrance and Parking Lot
    Description

The Hunting Hollow entrance and parking lot is located on the south-west edge of the park on Gilroy Hot Springs Road north-east of Gilroy.

The Hunting Hollow gate and parking area is open 24 hours a day, year round. You can arrive at the entrance and park any time of day or night. You can self-register for day use or backpacking. Be sure to take a park map with you when you head into the backcountry. You'll find free handout maps at the bulletin board in the parking area. You can also study a large park map stapled to the bulletin boards. Large maps are available for purchase on weekends when the parking area is staffed (in March through June).

There are no car camping sites at the Hunting Hollow entrance.

Dogs are not allowed beyond the Hunting Hollow entrance. See Dogs at Coe Park for more information.

No drinking water is available at the Hunting Hollow entrance, so be sure to bring what you'll need.

Getting There
    The Coe Park Hunting Hollow entrance is located on Gilroy Hot Springs Road, the same road you take to get to Coyote Reservoir.

To get to the entrances, take Highway 101 to Gilroy (which is about 10 miles south of Morgan Hill and 25 miles south of San Jose). The distance from 101 to the Hunting Hollow entrance is about 9 miles.

Take the Leavesley Road exit (County Road G9) and head east.

After about 1.8 miles, turn left (north) on New Avenue; go a little over half a mile and then turn right (east) on Roop Road. About 3.3 miles up Roop Road, you'll pass the Coyote Reservoir Road on the left.

The Hunting Hollow entrance is about 3.3 miles past the Coyote Reservoir Road turnoff.[
    SOrCerer

mtbr member
    Just rode this trail again last weekend..I must say this is becoming one of my favorite trails really fast! It's a shame we're using volunteer hours to "fix" this trail rather than build more like it!

mtbr member
    It rather burns my ass that this info is still circulating; the Ranger who shut us down embellished the situation on the JDT so he could justify his harsh actions.

When the District Trails Spvr saw those "structures" he had a chuckle which made me feel a little better. ("..structures? I wouldn't call those structures---maybe features ...")

Probably the "structure" that caused us the most grief was where we (perhaps "I" as it was my idea) split the trail so horses could avoid the low limbs of "Icabod's Oak". Boy oh boy what a lesson learned!
    If it helps any, I didn't really believe what he was saying. I think it is one of those things that he had heard from another member of the parks staff, and not directly experienced himself. That tends to amplify things that may already be misleading...

I was glad to see the pictures and to get the true scoop here. I may need to re-read the thread, but is the IMBA or another local/regional advocacy group aware/involved with what is going on here? If this is coming from outside the district (Sacramento) it might be possible to get some help through lobbying the issue. Don't mean to shift the discussion topic, just wondering if anyone has tried to get help from the top down?

mtbr member
    May 2010
    If it helps any, I didn't really believe what he was saying. I think it is one of those things that he had heard from another member of the parks staff, and not directly experienced himself. That tends to amplify things that may already be misleading...

I was glad to see the pictures and to get the true scoop here. I may need to re-read the thread, but is the IMBA or another local/regional advocacy group aware/involved with what is going on here? If this is coming from outside the district (Sacramento) it might be possible to get some help through lobbying the issue. Don't mean to shift the discussion topic, just wondering if anyone has tried to get help from the top down?
    Speaking only for myself as someone on the fringes I think this would be good. The Paul's are doing what they can and are doing a very good job but it would be nice to have someone who can bring a bit more light to the subject, say some good words to someone that can create a positive influence.

Ffive to ten years ago this would have been a non issue. Maybe it is the fact that a lot of work has been put in and Coe is starting to become a destination riding area and some folks a strugglng with the concept.

Is now still the time?

Bonking ... not feelin' well Down and Dirty

Hi,

Here's an attempt to let some pressure out of this thread. Mountain biking is legit. I am a mountain biker. Trail building is simple, but not as simple as one might think. Codes, laws, policy, regulations, permissions, credentials, authorization, and the temerity to wade into all that, are not simple things.

Here's me and a friend on the Cannell Trail up the hill from Kernville a couple of weekends ago demo-ing a bicycle:

The photo above is taken in a National Forest. Notice that there are old and thick pine trunks or limbs the trail goes through. Notice, perhaps, that the trail is rocky and technical. Notice that this is a really good trail.

Trails may seemingly appear like bacteria in a jam jar, or yeast in a wort. However, they develop from individuals who have made a choice to create them. People are like yeast. It is a concern that people might simply consume all the nutrition they can, and then turn tits up.

We might not like it at all, or parts of it, but the regulations are there to the put brakes on development so as to reduce and discourage the chances of some misguided, even malevolent, or ignorantly damaging activity.

The JDT and trails that might follow it in Coe are subject to CSP trail building code. At this time, not everything I, mudncrud or Pliebenberg would prefer in terms of trail, may be properly applied in State Park lands.

Some of us have been described as an over-enthusiastic volunteers. Compliments like that are exceptional and are nice to hear about. But getting a trail built and officially blessed and open is another thing.

This trail is going through.
    SOrCerer

mtbr member
    Did a few laps on JD Sunday, it's clear it's one of the most popular trails in the park with all users. The welcome mat of horse crap to start with and the many horse shoe prints from the day before in both direction show's the Horse folks dig it, the half dozen bikers I saw Sunday were digging it, did not see any hikers but there foot prints were all over. Pretty sad you have to keep reworking a trail that's better than 99% of the other trails in Coe.

Maybe I'll come out Saturday and see how many laps I can get in on JD while, just need to start working on a list of smart ass comments to direct towards Boss King each time I pass.

In the spirit of Sally's video, here is another one that reminds me of the ongoing work going on JD.

Go get that KOM "You Deserve" - http://www.digitalepo.com/index.php

Is now still the time?

The Hill

SOrCerer

middle ring single track

Smells like...

Quote Originally Posted by syslesoppenia View Post
    michaelkorspace com/ ]michael kors wallet

uggsoldesonlineoutlet com/products_all html ]ugg pour homme

uggoutletstoreuk com/ ]ugg outlet orlando
    ...spam being fried?

mtbr member
    Or if you want to work on a trail where mountain bikers make the decisions you can join us in Pogonip on Saturday. 9am at the bottom of U-Con. Paul N. you need to come visit sometime soon, my schedule is flexible, shoot me an email.

Drew

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast