Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Slowest Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by knobs View Post
    I think you are talking about the section from Spike Jones to the ridge top of Wilson Peak. There is a legacy route that continues past Spike Jones spring, but it is very overgrown. I scouted this a few years ago, it would be no easy task to restore that trail. And ultimately as a trail user you still have to climb.
    No, I was taking about instead taking Lyman-Willson to Bowl that goes around WIllson Peak to the Wagon Rd backbone of Henry Coe, rather than over the peak. It replaces 600' of nasty steep road climbing to the peak by the much more fun Bowl Trail singletrack.

JackBurns once built a pilot trail to lessen the grade of one of those "few steep parts" but it lasted about a season and quickly grassed over. It would seem that the majority of trail users prefer a wall here.
    Maybe people didn't know about that new pilot trail by Jack Burns? I didn't see that trail in spite of often climbing Lyman-Willson, and I don't take unmarked trails, especially in Henry Coe. The walls on that trail do provide a challenge that many enjoy. I also like to see how much of the climb I can ride rather than hike as I improve. And I'd think the road alternative would be kept in place, just for another access by the parks trucks?
    It's not slow, it's doing more MTB time.

mtbr member
    @BigLarry — Delighted to hear about your weight loss. Congratulations! Yes, I stopped climbing Lyman-Willson as soon as JDT was completed. I usually could clean it, just barely, but that wall in the middle was agony, and if it was 90 degrees, I didn't want to try. Heading for Coe right now!

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Lyman would be quite good indeed with just a couple sections switchbacked.
    Climbing JDT to get over the hill would be more fun overall if Serpentine loses its man eating ruts.

middle ring single track

Backfill for Backslope

We got word that the DPR was through with using the SWECO on the JDT last week; today was the first day we had permission to start with the handwork to finish the job. Kinda short notice; I was only able to muster 2 other Coe volunteers for the task. (Plus most folks have to work weekdays!) Eric from the Bike Patrol and Sue from the Horse Patrol joined me.

Beautiful weather; we made good progress and finished about half of what needs to be done---loose, light and dusty the dirt was easy to move. Plus as the SWECO crew progressed they got smarter with what they were doing; the last pass through they bladed some of the spoils to the uphill side of the trail which made cutting the backslope minimal and also helped cut down on the width a little.

The first set of photos I posted were from after the SWECO's first day, they did another day and cut the trail a bit further down the JDT. Overlapped about half of what VoCal had worked on a couple of years ago for those who know what I'm referring to. To the crew's credit they only dropped the blade on the previously finished "VoCal section" where they felt they needed to.

Some photos:

Here's where they continued down the hill from previous.

Eric breaks down the outside berm left by the tractor.

...and attacks the backslope.

Here can be seen the generous amount of spoils left on the uphill side of the trail.

Here's where they did minimal work on the section already widened by VoCal.

Sue smooths it out.

They really messed up on this corner; didn't cut down to where the pin-flags had indicated.

It's supposed to be a "climbing turn" but...

...30% trail grade is way too steep. Much hand work will be needed to eventually fix this.

More of Sue raking it out.

Here's an "after"; compare with the 5th photo from the top.

Eric gives it a test.

Sue's still at it.

Sort of a before, during and after shot.

GoPro for a time lapse.

Time lapse:

About half way through the day I realized that I was achieving the sort of anticipated satisfaction a plastic surgeon must realize when a really ugly person comes into his office.
    Content here does not officially represent the CA DPR.

Windows 10, destroying humanity one upgrade at a time.

mtbr member
    "About half way through the day I realized that I was achieving the sort of anticipated satisfaction a plastic surgeon must realize when a really ugly person comes into his office."

Paul, that is funny!

Thanks for update.

On Saturday the ride ended with a JDT descent. This time Jack Burns could see. Even though Jack was on a cross bike, he had no problems with some of the loose areas. It's obvious that the tread is inconsistent, with some areas scraped hard, and others to one extent or other filled with dust and dirt clods.

Great timing, you guys, in getting the outer edge cleaned off before the rain! Auspiciously, this alone is a huge contribution to the integrity of the trail's future. Learning this now, I am certain the JDT is one it's way to greatness.

That 30% climbing turn spot is lame. That area was , in recollection, the last turn we were going to focus on, when DPR elbowed us out of the process. Then the less experienced DPR leaders changed the alignment and had VOCAL volunteers bench the trail in a manner such that the upper bench was 3 feet above the original flag line. And they left the trail work with hanging bench that was a PITA to ride up and connect the sections until it got ridden in enough. This disparity in elevation is one factor for the over grade turn. The good thing is that there is plenty of room to improve this. But as you say Paul, it is a lot of dirt to move by hand. The Sweco could have done it right, and corrected the issue that was there already.

Well, Jack don't want to nit pick - no, he wants a beer. Overall the trail is going to be pretty good. It will narrow considerably and look natural in a couple of seasons, of this there is no doubt.

-Jack Burns

mtbr member

Here is a pic from Steer Ridge Road looking down onto the JDT with "Sorcerer's Switchback" in the center on 4/4/2015.

mtbr member
    Oops. Jack will come back later...

middle ring single track
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Burns View Post
    Oops. Jack will come back later...
    Let me help you with that:

BTW Jack should probably make that album private...

Here's looking up to where Jack took that photo:

As I walked back up the JDT after finishing our work yesterday I left the GoPro running in time lapse mode so it snapped a pix every 5 seconds.

...and inadvertently got a selfie of me having a reverent moment at the SWECO:

Anyway, in the case of both of the turns the SWECO sort of made a mess of, the pin-flags didn't look right to me before the work started. I questioned John H. (Monterey District Trails Supervisor and now promoted a couple of steps up from that) and he thought that the last flag his crew put in on a leg would have been the center point of the turn radius.

I didn't see it that way and I doubt the SWECO guys did either. I'm pretty sure the flagging crew and the tractor crew never got together at the job site. We volunteers were expressly forbidden attendance while the tractor was working (go figure!)

My guess is that the flagging crew may have had in mind the old-school platform switchback corner where both approaches are steep to increase separation to discourage short-cutting and the actual turn is grade level. With a lot of work this could have been done. But the tractor crew had committed to doing the job in a "couple of days" and WYSIWYG.

loopy counter
    Quote Originally Posted by pliebenberg View Post
    BTW Jack should probably make that album private...
    ... WYSIWYG.
    Knobs thinks Jack Burns should continue to refer to himself in the third person.

I suppose the small pile of schist that reopened a few feet of the old trail was demolished on monday.

WYSIWYG? Acronym approved. Pronouns are unacceptable.

middle ring single track
    I suppose the small pile of schist that reopened a few feet of the old trail was demolished on monday.
    If you're referring to the ramp at the lower corner it was still intact when I left it, but Eric worked there after I did and I didn't go back down to see what he had done. The State is totally finicky about "trail braiding" so sooner or later the old route will be gone. I'm surprised the SWECO didn't remove the original fall-line trail from the very top down to the pond. Maybe that's yet to be done.

mtbr member
    Jack is laughing in the background here.

Slowest Rider
    Good to see that section finished off!

Thanks to the volunteer trail workers for quickly doing the nice trail polish on that section, just before the rains soak it in.
    I hope to check it out in the next few days after it dries out.

The SWECO looks to have mostly kept the singletrack character. I agree that it looks like it'll season nicely.

The couple of imperfect sections is not a big deal- like a speck of dust on your perfect gem - and can be fixed or mitigated. JDT is already the jewel of Henry Coe. That very short 30% grade in one turn is nothing, say when compared to the brutal extended steep climbing required once you're at the top of JDT.

middle ring single track

I guess we're done!

We had a crew of 5 and yesterday we finally finished cleaning up after the Sweco.

No ceremony but we joked about bringing some Champagne; the old closed sign was pulled out and the old trail blocked off.

Still some areas elsewhere on the JDT needing back-slope cutting but nobody's complaining; we'll get to those in the years to come along with the usual maintenance.

Some more photos from the day; perfect weather for doing trailwork---looked like rain for a little while but never happened:

And my usual time lapse:

Last edited by Moe Ped; 05-22-2015 at 04:07 PM.

Slowest Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by pliebenberg View Post
    We had a crew of 5 and yesterday we finally finished cleaning up after the Sweco.
    Excellent Work! Thanks to you and the other volunteers for the trail work and photos. JDT is truly a gem of a trail. Best in Henry Coe.

Had a chance to ride up JDT recently and saw the extremely high pitch on a couple switch backs as you mentioned. I see how the SWECO ignored some of your markers to the detriment of the trail. It looks like he was trying to stay wide to avoid an overly tight switchback, but the wide path instead left too much of a height difference on the turn. Anything you were able to do to fix that?

middle ring single track
    Quote Originally Posted by BigLarry View Post
    Excellent Work! Thanks to you and the other volunteers for the trail work and photos. JDT is truly a gem of a trail. Best in Henry Coe.

Had a chance to ride up JDT recently and saw the extremely high pitch on a couple switch backs as you mentioned. I see how the SWECO ignored some of your markers to the detriment of the trail. It looks like he was trying to stay wide to avoid an overly tight switchback, but the wide path instead left too much of a height difference on the turn. Anything you were able to do to fix that?
    I don't have a clue about those corners, those recent markers were placed by DPR staff---not the volunteers. So the Sweco guys weren't following their own leadership. Perhaps they thought they were leaving us the raw materials to build a nice banked turn? (fat chance) So the corners still look like what you saw. No matter; come the winter rains and soft soil we'll dig an appropriate corner that won't ruffle DPR feathers.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Knobs thinks Jack Burns should continue to refer to himself in the third person.
    Mud seconds the motion.
    Here's to sweat in your eye.

middle ring single track
    And hey guys and gals; don't forget to take the survey for Coe's biking brochure:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/9HTVZKC

(also featured here: Survey for Henry W Coe SP biking brochure )

mtbr member
    Hi

Jack says:

The Henry Coe Summer Solstice 10k starts 5:30 am at Hunting Hollow on Saturday June 20th. It is just an informal casual yet traditional ride. It will include the JDT.

JB

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Burns View Post
    Hi

Jack says:

The Henry Coe Summer Solstice 10k starts 5:30 am at Hunting Hollow on Saturday June 20th. It is just an informal casual yet traditional ride. It will include the JDT.

JB
    How can we trust this Jack character?

You know the old saying "He doesn't know Jack"
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

middle ring single track

Who was that Jack $chit guy anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by ziscwg View Post
    How can we trust this Jack character?

You know the old saying "He doesn't know Jack"
    But I'll vouch for Jack Burns; the stuff that legends are made from.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345